Mistletoe

X Is For A Soft Kiss, O Is For A Circled Hug (XOXO)

Actual note I wrote for this chapter: "The readers want Kyungsoo's background and some dirty-dirty. Do it hahaha lol do it". I was not in the best state of mind. Still am not.

Regarding heats: I'm taking it a little differently from most other writers. I have no idea if I'll get to it in the actual story, so I'll explain here. My thought on the heat is just a marker as to when puberty and real completion of hybrid characteristics occurs, and it ends when the transition is like 80% complete. So, the people in the story are--to me--already done with the puberty bs. Therefore, no heats. Sorry.

Also, I at writing the ier scenes. I'm really sorry. 

And thank you to everyone who commented with advice and suggestions. I appreciate it a lot :)


Jongin was woken up at five in the morning on Christmas Day by crying noises coming from the bathroom.

He was dazed for a moment, mind jumping from this house is haunted to why's Kyungsoo's spot so cold and then finally a panicked !

In two strides, he crossed the room to the bathroom and flung the door open.

Kyungsoo was standing over the sink, gripping the edges of the countertop so tightly that little patches of red bloomed amidst the tight whiteness of his knuckles. His breaths came and went as gasps that racked his entire body, and wet trails raced down his cheeks.

"Soo," Jongin said, frozen still and feeling utterly helpless. "Oh G-d, Soo."

Kyungsoo looked up, and his gold eyes were glossed over. "Kai, help me."

The bright lights and white tile of the bathroom seemed to fade, dim away into nothing as Jongin took one step, two, and wrapped his arms around the smaller boy. "What do you want me to do?"

Kyungsoo leaned his head against Jongin's chest. "Just stay there. And tell me where the bandages are."

"Bandages--" Jongin looked down at Kyungsoo's hands, realizing suddenly that the red spots on his right one weren't just his skin reacting to the clenching, it was blood. And the spots were getting larger. "Oh J-sus!"

Without letting go of the cat hybrid, Jongin reached into the cabinet at the far end of the bathroom. A first-aid kit sat at eye level, and Jongin fumbled it open with one hand.

Kyungsoo turned in Jongin's one-armed clutch and took the kit himself. "I got it," he said, tone dead-flat. Silently, he cleaned the split skin on his knuckles off with an alcohol wipe, then wrapped a layer of cloth bandage over it. 

"Jongin," he said finally, examining his handiwork. "Am I a bad person?"

"What?" The wolf hybrid moved to look Kyungsoo in the eyes. "Why would you--"

"Am I a bad person?" Kyungsoo repeated.

"No. Not at all." Jongin shook his head violently. "Why are you asking me that?"

Kyungsoo sat down at the edge of the bathtub. "Because here I am, butting into a family celebration, and wasting your precious time, and just being an annoying person."

Jongin kneeled in front of him, resting a hand on Kyungsoo's flannel-pajama-clad knee. "That doesn't--I invited you here, and you're not wasting my time, and anyone who says you're annoying is a  idiot."

"You're saying that because you have to."

"I'm not." Jongin held both of Kyungsoo's hands together. "I mean it."

Kyungsoo's face was stone-like, save for the tightening of his lips. "That's what my mom said, too, but not anymore, right?" He burst into tears, immediately throwing an arm across his face.

Though he knew full well that he should give Kyungsoo some time to cry, Jongin gently pulled Kyungsoo's arm away and held the smaller one's face. "What do you mean? Please, Kyungsoo, I want to help you."

Kyungsoo leaned into the hand. "It's a long story."

"It's five in the morning. I think we've got time."

Kyungsoo was quiet for a moment, then turned so that his back was facing Jongin. 

"I know Chanyeol told you about how I got kicked out," he said softly. "I won't repeat that part. But even before that...my dad said I was a freak. He was a seal hybrid, really atheltic and pretty intimidating, too. Super macho. My mom was a cat hybrid and she was really timid. She was a tortoiseshell. So when I was born, a tortoiseshell cat hybrid, my dad flipped."

"Why? Because you were...tortoiseshell?" 

"Tortoiseshell markings usually only appear on females. It's rare on guys like me, so I guess my biological dad was a tortoiseshell too. My, uh, married dad called me a disaster and a mistake." Kyungsoo took a shuddering breath. "Then my eyes started coming in with my heats and the tortoiseshell gene sort of slowed down my muscle development," ("So that's why you can't do sports?" "Yeah.") "And I got thrown out. I got passed around through foster homes. And then I got sent here, and my adopted parents sort of forgot about me. My mom is supposed to call me every month, and she does, but lately she's been telling me that I was a burden and this whole thing was my fault. Don't tell me it isn't my fault," Kyungsoo added, as if able to tell Jongin was about to speak. "I know it wasn't. But it still really hurts."

Jongin rubbed circles into Kyungsoo's back, and the cat's black tail twitched. "Yeah. I...I guess it does."

Kyungsoo shrugged.

"But, Soo..." Jongin hugged Kyungsoo close, gently pulling him off the edge of the bathtub and onto his lap. "Believe me when I say that you aren't a burden to me or my family, okay? You aren't."

Kyungsoo nodded and snuggled into Jongin's chest. "Fine."

"Come on," Jongin said, picking the smaller boy up. "It's five in the morning. Let's get back to sleep."


Kyungsoo found out the hard way that Jongin's family was a very loud lot.

"Our Nini has such a good eye," an aunt cooed, pinching Kyungsoo's cheeks. 

"You take care of Nini, got it?" an uncle warned. "Make sure he gets enough sunlight and drinks enough water, and don't let him run around with--"

"I'm not a plant, Uncle," Jongin joked. 

The uncle roared with laughter and smacked the wolf hybrid on the back so hard he tumbled forward into Kyungsoo, faces centimeters apart. It wouldn't have been a problem elsewhere, but in the midst of the family gathering of several dozen. it was a crucible of restraint.

Jongin and Kyungsoo ended up scampering back to Jongin's room.

"My family gives me anxiety," Jongin said, locking the door and flopping down on the bed.

Kyungsoo sat on the floor at Jongin's feet. "They seem really nice."

"They're too nice. Like Lay, except louder."

"Lay bothers you?" Kyungsoo moved to lie on top of Jongin. 

"Oh G-d, like you wouldn't believe." Jongin put his arms around Kyungsoo. "I have a theory that he murdered fifty thousand people and is looking for his next victim."

Kyungsoo laughed and poked Jongin's nose. "Sure, whatever you say, Nini."

Jongin groaned and closed his eyes. "It's enough hearing it from my family, now you?"

"Nini, Nini, Nini," Kyungsoo chanted, squirming.

"Gah!" Jongin rolled off the bed, taking Kyungsoo with him. They ended up with Kyungsoo's back on the ground, Jongin hovering over him with threatening tickle-fingers. 

"Oh no--" Kyungsoo started, then squealed. Jongin was ruthless; there wasn't a single ticklish spot on Kyungsoo that he missed. The neck, armpits, stomach...all were victim to Jongin's assault. Kyungsoo screeched and threw his hands up in surrender. "I give up!" he gasped out. "Do whatever you want!"

The playful look in Jongin's eyes changed. "Whatever I want?"

Kyungsoo winked, a challenge. 

Jongin reached into his pocket, then pulled out a cluster of green leaves and red berries. He dangled it over Kyungsoo. "Merry Christmas, Soo," he said, voice a low timbre that sent a buzz through Kyungsoo from his ears to his groin. Then he kissed him.

It was different from the other times. The kiss started out hungry and only grew more so. Kyungsoo let his jaw go slack, let Jongin explore in his mouth and with his hands. The mistletoe dropped to the ground. 

Almost experimentally, Kyungsoo moved his hips up, grinding into Jongin's. The wolf hybrid in a breath.

"Don't be rude, Soo," he said, smirking.

Kyungsoo stuck his tongue out. 

Suddenly, Jongin sat up and yanked his shirt off, his tanned abs rippling. Kyungsoo shook his head when the wolf hybrid went for his own sweater.

"I don't look good," he said, tugging down as Jongin's hand went to pull up.

Jongin pushed his hand aside and lifted the edge of Kyungsoo's shirt, then placed a soft kiss at the subtle curve of his waist. "I'm sure you look great," he hummed against the smaller one's skin.

Kyungsoo sat up, a wave of panic rising in him. "No, really," he insisted. "I'm chubby. I don't look good like you do."

Jongin leaned back onto his knees, confused. "How are you chubby?"

The cat hybrid looked down and pinched at the fat on his stomach.

Jongin frowned. "So?"

Kyungsoo pulled his knees into his chest. "I'm just not good looking. It's...weird."

"Stand up."

"Huh?"

Jongin got to his feet and helped Kyungsoo to his. "I'll tell you if you're actually chubby." He put his hands on Kyungsoo's waist and squeezed, then felt his stomach. "Not at all," Jongin concluded.

Kyungsoo crossed his arms and hunched over. "But I promise, you won't want to see me shirtless."

"How do you know?" Jongin stepped forward, backing Kyungsoo into the wall behind him. 

"Because I'm ugly."

Arms reached out to cage Kyungsoo in. "You are far from ugly," Jongin said, breath warm against Kyungsoo's face. "Want me to prove it?"

Lips found Kyungsoo's again, and once more, he let Jongin take the lead. 

Jongin moved his leg between Kyungsoo's and pushed up gently. Kyungsoo whined into the taller boy's mouth, then pulled away, flushing.

"Make all the noise you want," Jongin said, voice ily deep, hips starting to undulate against Kyungsoo's. "They won't hear you."

Kyungsoo let his arms go on Jongin's shoulders, fingers tangling in his light hair, pulling him ever closer. 

Jongin's hands drew trails on Kyungsoo's lower back and hips on their quest to find a good spot, where they wouldn't be in the way. They settled on the lower part of the hybrid's waist.

Meanwhile, the bulge in Kyungsoo's pants ached, and he moaned wantonly, trying to find his own friction in time with Jongin's movements. The wolf wasn't faring much better; his kisses were getting increasingly messy and off-time as his lust gathered between his legs.

Suddenly, Jongin's hands went under Kyungsoo's thighs, and he hissed a single word into Kyungsoo's ear. "Jump."

Kyungsoo jumped, wrapping his legs around Jongin's waist. Their bottom halves came together hard enough to push both of them to the brink of screaming. 

Neither of them had the focus to speak anymore, all of their energy having gone to their  and the heavenly feeling of the other so close.

It wasn't long before Kyungsoo came, a white hot rush that had him Jongin's name into his mouth. The wolf hybrid wasn't far behind, and he finished with a shuddering groan. Jongin backed up onto his bed, leaving both of them sprawled out and searching for their breaths back.

Finally, Kyungsoo spoke. 

"I should change."

Jongin looked at him sideways and smiled, then planted a kiss on his nose. "Go do that, beautiful."


As the family gathered for present opening, Jongin was particularly territorial, especially when his gay cousin tried to hit on Kyungsoo.

"I think he meant well," Kyungsoo said, lying with his head on Jongin's lap.

Jongin stared daggers into the retreating boy's back. "Regardless, you're mine," he huffed, slipping a hand under the cat hybrid and pulling him in closer. 

"I know that," Kyungsoo said, raising an eyebrow teasingly.

Jongin winked.

Presents were distributed fairly quickly--looks like Kai's family knows what they're doing, Kyungsoo thought in awe--and there ended up being a massive pile at Kyungsoo's (well, Jongin's) feet.

"Half of these are for you," Jongin said, picking through the mountain of boxes and bags. "No, like, two thirds are for you."

Kyungsoo sat up, picking out a box at random. A sticker with his name was on it. 

"Open it," one of the ahjummas urged.

Jongin had started on his own collection already, and he nudged Kyungsoo to begin as well. 

The first box contained a set of notebooks in the primary colors; the second was a set of pens with the same color scheme. Kyungsoo saw a young couple on the other side of the present circle wave at him. He looked down at the matching presents and waved back.

In the end, there was so much that Kyungsoo thought he would need another suitcase: hand-knit sweaters, books, food, even a pair of socks that said "GAY AND PROUD" on it (Jongin said that was definitely his gay cousin's doing).

It took three trips to move Kyungsoo's, and then Jongin's, presents up to his room, which had been thoroughly sprayed with Febreze.

"Hang on," Jongin said as Kyungsoo prepared to faceplant into the bed and fall asleep. "I've got one more present for you."

The cat hybrid raised an eyebrow. "So your  wasn't a present?"

"Oh, shut it."

Kyungsoo chuckled to himself. 

Jongin rummaged through his suitcase and pulled out a small cardboard box, dented from being stuffed in a bag and lugged around. With some salvaged bravado, he turned around and presented the box, taking the top off with a flourish. 

Kyungsoo peered in, jaw dropping. Inside the box, cushioned on a swathe of cotton, was a silvery ring with a blue-green strip running around in the center. As Jongin tilted it, the ring caught the light, shining like its very own sun.

"It's so pretty," Kyungsoo breathed out, taking the ring out and slipping it onto his ring finger. It was too big there, but it fit perfectly on his thumb.

Jongin held up his own hand, where a matching ring rested on his index finger. 

"I don't have another present for you," Kyungsoo said.

Jongin looked around, then picked up the mistletoe from earlier.

"Just yourself is fine," he said, holding it over their heads.

Kyungsoo smiled and leaned in.