Werewolf

X Is For A Soft Kiss, O Is For A Circled Hug (XOXO)

In case you want a reference as to what Jongin and Kyungsoo look like:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34900000/Blonde-Kai-exo-34991126-500-333.png

https://snowguurl.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/d-o-exo-teaser-repackage-album-growl.jpg


Kim Jongin had always been...different.

He had the ears, sure, and the tail too. Just like everyone else. Nothing looked too off about him: his rust-red eyes weren't unusual for the wolves from his northern home region; his almost-white hair could pass as bleached; and his bronze skin, though unusually tanned-looking for a gray wolf like him, wasn't that strange.

Jongin was, for the most part, a nice guy, sweet and caring and quiet. He raised his hand in class when he knew the answer and kept his mouth shut when he didn't. Since he started kindergarten, his teachers had always commented on what a "good, smart boy" he was. Even though he was gay and not quite forgiven by his more conservative peers, no one could say he didn't do a good job of keeping his focus on things other than fing around. Of course he had the occasional temper--who didn't?--but it never got out of control. He stood out among the students at his boarding school meant specifically for hybrids like him, with stronger blood in them and more potential for losing control or causing trouble. It happened a lot with wolves. At first glance, he would seem like he didn't belong there.

However, when the moon become round like a perfect pearl hanging in the dark sky, then people noticed.

When he was seven years old, Jongin was diagnosed with Werewolf Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder occurring mainly among wolf hybrids. Those with Werewolf Syndrome had certain times of the month, during which they would "go crazy" and revert back to their primal, animalistic selves. Rampaging, screaming, attacking loved ones--all were possible during that time.

Sweet, quiet Jongin became the center of attention for three days every month.

He took down two security guards. I heard he almost got off school grounds...imagine what would've happened if he got into the town. Kai fought with the Dragons and almost won.

Kim Jongin didn't ask for the life he was given; he didn't want to suffer Werewolf Syndrome, or have his nickname whispered in fear, or lose fights with enemies he wasn't even aware he had, like the Dragons, the four top students and rule enforcers of the school.

But he would just have to live with it.


Jongin thumbed through the glossy pages of his calculus textbook, half-listening to what his teacher was saying and humming the tune of Big Bang's new songs as quietly as he could. Zutter was regrettably catchy. He had already lost most of the information for chapter four among the recesses of Bang Bang Bang and Sober. 

The shrill whine of the bell was a relief, but as much as Jongin wanted to just throw his books into his backpack and run, he didn't want to go out into the hallway; the Dragons were in the class next door, and he wanted to avoid making contact with them until he was sure they had forgiven him for his last...outburst.

Xiumin was usually Jongin's signal for when the coast was clear; if Xiumin spotted his Dragon boyfriend, Luhan, or any of his friends, then Xiumin would just leave. If not, Xiumin would give him a thumbs up. Today, Xiumin gave the green light. Jongin was safe.

As it always was in the period before lunch, the hallways were rowdy and loud with students making plans and comparing grades. Jongin slipped through the crowd and breathed an audible sigh of relief when he passed through the glass foyer and out into the quad.

Only a few small groups were out there already, the lunch aficionados. Jongin spotted two of the Dragons, Kris and Tao, coming his way from the humanities building with a group of other hybrids, so he took the side path leading into the woods that would bring him around to the side door of the dining hall.

The woods were shady and quiet, and small clearings with gardens were scattered among the trees. Sometimes Jongin would stumble upon a couple making out on the benches there (in which case he would turn around and run away while shouting apologies), but he liked stopping by just to see the flowers and trees.

His favorite, by far, was the one right next to the lake. 

The school was built right next to a large lake that doubled as a reservoir for the area. On the gentle rises and falls of the hills around it were towns and buildings. Trees lined the perimeter and burst into flaming pillars of red in the autumn, a sight to behold. On the school side of the lake was the largest garden on campus, complete with pathways and a bridge going out over the water and a pagoda. It also happened to be abandoned because of rumors that the garden was haunted.

Jongin knew it was nonsense, but he did have to admit, it was somewhat disconcerting to find the flowers and plants there still alive and healthy-looking.

A cool breeze ruffled Jongin's tousled platinum hair even more, and he absentmindedly patted it down as he approached the entrance, an elegant wrought-iron gate covered in creeping ivy. He noted that someone had trimmed it, as the vines were shorter than he remembered. Not only that, but the gates that were usually closed were thrown wide open.

In fact, a lot was off with the garden today. There was a loud gurgling noise, interspersed with a metallic clicking noise. Jongin froze behind a row of hedges.

Someone was tinkering with a garden fountain (which was never there before), cursing loudly as the water stopped momentarily. He had cherry red hair swept across a pale, round face and propped out of big eyes by round wire glasses. Large ears, one orange and one white, pointed forward towards the fountain, focused solely on it. His checkered black and red button-down hung loosely on his lean frame, and a long black tail swished back and forth on the fallen leaves. He had yet to notice Jongin.

Slowly, Jongin moved forward. He had never seen this person before, though granted, he didn't know too many people at school.

Suddenly, his foot landed on a pile of dry leaves. Jongin in a breath.

The other person jumped to his feet, turning immediately to face where Jongin stood. He visibly relaxed when he took in Jongin's deer-in-the-headlights eyes, grey ears flattened against his head, fluffy tail wrapped shyly around his leg.

Jongin, on the other hand, was pinned to the spot by the cat boy's sharp golden gaze.

"S-sorry," he stuttered, fighting the urge to turn tail and run despite him being a good deal taller and a wolf hybrid. "I-I'll just go--"

"No, stay."

The boy's voice was surprisingly gentle, like worn denim, a strange contrast to his piercing eyes.

"I-sorry?"

"We don't get many visitors here," the boy continued, full lips curving into a smile. "Areum's getting really lonely."

Jongin tried to force himself to relax. "Who's Areum?"

The boy looked around. "The garden. Areum. She's such a pretty thing but no one ever comes."

This guy's weird, Jongin thought.

"I come here sometimes," he said out loud. "It clears my mind. I'm supposed to be at lunch, actually, but--"

The other boy yelped and whirled around. "Lunch! " He grabbed a backpack from underneath a bush, barely shaking off the leaves and petals that gathered on it before rushing past Jongin. At the gate, he stopped and looked over his shoulder.

"I'm Kyungsoo, by the way. DO Kyungsoo. You?" 

"Um, Kim Jongin. Some people call me Kai."

"Nice to meet you, Jongin. Now let's get lunch before someone takes Bora."

Kyungsoo grabbed Jongin's arm and started running.


The quad was mostly empty by the time Kyungsoo and Jongin skidded to a stop on the main path, panting and gasping for air.

"I hope no one took Bora," Kyungsoo wheezed out.

"Who's Bora?" Jongin asked, not in much better shape than Kyungsoo was.

"It's my table," the cat replied without missing a beat. "The little purple one next to the old couch."

"No one's going to take that one," Jongin assured him.

The dining hall tables and chairs were all mismatched and scattered unevenly. There were some folding chairs, rickety old wooden stools, long communal tables, even couches and coffee tables. Along one of the walls were booths, relatively private spaces. Usually, the dining hall was pretty full, and competition for the booths was tough. However, no one ever ventured near the one in the far left corner, right by the windows. It was always too hot or too cold, depending on the season; the light was broken; it was tiny; and instead of the nice, large, horseshoe-shaped seats of the other booths, there was a ratty old couch, a plastic purple kiddie table, and a fold-up stool. Jongin had only seen one person there in all his year in the school--from sixth to his current eleventh grade--and it occurred to him only then, as he watched Kyungsoo settle into the couch with a content flick of his ears, that that person may have been Kyungsoo.

"So this is Bora?" Jongin asked, long legs folded uncomfortably as he sat on the short stool.

Kyungsoo nodded silently, eyes closed. 

The two sat quietly for a few moments, listening to the people outside talk and argue.

"Aren't you going to sit with your friends?" Kyungsoo said suddenly.

Jongin blinked and looked away. "I don't really...have any."

Kyungsoo opened one golden eye. "Really? Why?"

Jongin nodded, face starting to warm up. "Everyone's afraid of me."

"Why?" Kyungsoo was leaning forward now, genuinely interested.

Jongin didn't meet the other boy's eyes. "I have Werewolf Syndrome, so I get really violent and stuff..." After the words came out, the wolf hybrid waited for a response of fear. Most people had one. 

"Okay." 

Jongin glanced up. Kyungsoo was smiling.

"What?"

"I don't see how that's a reason to be afraid of you," Kyungsoo said, shrugging. "Everyone here because they have issues."

"But I--" Jongin started, stopping when the cat hybrid held up a hand.

"Let's go get food." It wasn't a suggestion.

The two stood and turned to leave the booth, but there were three people standing in the entryway.

"It's the f-g!" A tall boy with light brown hair folded his thickly muscled arms and smiled, his mouth like a scar on his face. "Found a new boyfriend?"

Jongin felt Kyungsoo tense up next to him, and he glanced over. The other boy's black tail was puffed up and it swung angrily, the tip curled up just slightly. 

"Hello, Chase," Kyungsoo mumbled, trying to slip in between the big boy and a shorter one with black hair on the right.

"Oh, where are you going?" the shorter one sneered, then put an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulders, whirling him around. "Not back to Areum again, right?"

The boy on the left cackled. "Don't want your boyfriend here to get jealous!"

Chase pushed Kyungsoo back at Jongin, and the two fell, Jongin hitting the ground hard. The three boys laughed. Kyungsoo was on his feet in a second.

"You okay?" he asked, wide eyes staring down at the wolf with concern.

Jongin sat up, rubbing his shoulder. "Just a bruise."

"F-gg-t," one of the boys said. 

Suddenly, the laughing stopped.

Kyungsoo and Jongin looked up at the same time to see Kris--the leader Dragon and timber wolf--with his arm draped casually over Chase's shoulder, a good head above even the tall brunette. Tao, the Doberman, was next next to the boy with black hair with a chillingly blank expression as his head swiveled back and forth among Kyungsoo, Jongin, and the troublemakers. Luhan and Lay stood behind them, both of their trademark smiles on display, one frighteningly self-assured and the other insane.

"I thought I told you to see Ms. Choi about that last test," Kris said, leaning into Chase's ear but keeping his eyes trained on the cat and wolf.

Chase's Adam's apple bobbed.

"Yeah, I'm going." He wriggled free and hurried away, followed closely by his lackeys.

Jongin almost wished that the three boys hadn't left, because now that they were gone, all of the Dragons' attentions were focused on him.

Lay's smile softened. "Hey, Kai. How are you doing?"

"I-I'm good," Jongin stuttered, feeling the weight of the Dragon's gazes on him.

Luhan tilted his head to look at Kyungsoo, his carefully wrapped antlers--white bandages this time--moving with him. "Kyungsoo! I haven't seen you in a while! How are you?"

Jongin was surprised when Kyungsoo didn't freeze up under the Dragon's scary, strange scrutiny. "I was going to get food."

Luhan laughed. "You go do that." He and Lay stepped to the side.

Kyungsoo held a hand out to Jongin and pulled him to his feet. As they passed Kris, a hand shot out and stopped him.

"Do you know when your next change is?" the tall blonde asked, low timbre voice almost a growl.

"It's-uh, it's next month. The thirteenth."

"No changes, then." The hand retreated, and Kris nodded at Jongin for him to go. "Lay isn't fully healed yet."

Jongin wasn't sure how to respond, so he didn't. Lay patted him on the back.

"Don't worry about it," he said quietly.

Kyungsoo was waiting at the entrance to the food tables. "You're the Kai?" he asked.

Yeah, Jongin thought, closing his eyes and nodding. I'm the Kai.

The Kai who nearly broke out of the heavily guarded campus and could have caused serious trouble in the town. The Kai who had to be sedated with more than three times the normal dose just to keep him from leaving the confinement room. The Kai who fought with the Dragons, the hybrids renowned in the school and town for keeping order, and almost won against the undefeated Kris and Tao pair.

The Kai.

Kyungsoo was silent for what felt like hours. Finally, he said:

"You're a lot hotter than I thought you'd be."

Jongin opened his eyes to a pair of burning golden ones an inch from his own. He yelped and stepped back.

Kyungsoo smirked. "I thought Kai would be some ugly bodybuilder dude who was going bald at sixteen and didn't know the difference between right and write."

Jongin opened his mouth to say something in response, but he wasn't sure what he could say.

Kyungsoo was about to continue when something on the ground caught his attention. In place of words, out came a frightened wail.

“What?” Jongin demanded when Kyungsoo stumbled into him, fully aware of the eyes that were now trained on the two of them.

“M-m-maaaah—“ Kyungsoo replied, pointing at something scuttling very quickly on too many legs. He shrieked when the spider came closer and, to Jongin’s dismay, jumped into the taller boy’s arms. It was that moment then when Jongin thanked the heavens for making him a wolf hybrid.

“Spiiiderrr,” Kyungsoo cried into Jongin’s shirt.

Jongin blinked and stepped on the bug.

"Oh thank G-d," Kyungsoo sighed.

"You're a lot lighter than you look," Jongin said, mostly to himself. He glanced at the cat boy, preparing to put him down. His focus, however, was drawn to the soft pink lips that graced Kyungsoo's face. And his perfect nose. And those beautiful almond eyes behind the round glasses that happened to be tracing Jongin's facial features at the same time, finally stopping its roving to lock with Jongin's, an indecipherable emotion making the gold even brighter.

When Jongin was in middle school, he had a stint where he read teenage romance novels, imagining that one day, he would get to be the Prince Charming. Desite his fantasies, he never believed in love at first sight, or true love at all, for that matter.

But there it was, tension so thick between Kyungsoo and Jongin that he could probably eat that and be full.

Jongin cleared his throat. "Um, I'm, uh, going to put you down, now, if that's okay." Before he got an answer, he leaned down, letting Kyungsoo stabilize on his own two feet.

The cat hybrid didn't say anything, just stared at something over Jongin's shoulder before turning on his heel and padding away.

Neither of them noticed the red in the other's cheeks.