Chapter 2

Mythnal Academy

Maejin had argued with her father, not wanting to go to the Choosing. She had said how she didn't care about her status at school, or if she would be bullied becuase of not having a slave. Finally, she had had to agree, her father threatening to not allow her to attend the academy unless she chose a slave. And with that, the next morning, Maejin found herself in her father's limo, being taken to the Choosing. Even though he had said he'd be going with her, he'd had to cancel due to having an unexpected meeting, which she was very grateful for.

Hongbin had opted to go with her, but she had told him it was fine, that he and Ken should start preparing to get ready for their departure the next day. After about thirty minutes of driving, the limo parked beside what looked to be a park, but Maejin knew it was just an illusion, a magic spell cast to fool the humans. As Maejin walked into the "park" the image shifted to a large field with rows of white tents. Maejin shuddered as she recalled the moment that she had gone with her brother to choose his slave.

Maejin and Hongbin had followed their parents through the illusion, staring in awe as it had shifted to the tented field. She had seen countless "masters" and their slaves as they had scowered the tents. After about twenty minutes of walking, they had entered a smaller tent, which had only been holding three slaves. One had been about fourty years old and had had five different masters in his lifetime. The second had been a bit younger, in his early thirties. He had also looked very scary. Finally, they had been shown the third one.

Ken.

Even though he had been barefoot, dressed in a tattered gray sweater and black pants, and looked as if he had barely been fed anything, he had given them all a big, goofy smile when he had been introduced. That had been enough for Hongbin and the dorky werewolf had, in a way, become a part of their family.

Maejin blinked as the memories swept past her. She wondered how she would chose one...maybe one would smile at her like Ken? Or maybe she'd be like Eunmi, wanting to take one away from the cruel ways of the Choosing. Either way, she wanted to get out of there fast. Everywhere she looked, she could see Cursed slaves with their masters...and many were being treated harshly. But the longer she walked, the more she felt like she should wait, that the moment would come.

After going through the many dozen tents in the filed, she finally entered the final tent, which was a bit larger than the others. Upon entering, she was greeted by a woman wearing spectacles and carrying a clipboard.

"Welcome, miss." The woman smiled at her. "Here to find a slave?"

Yeah. Against my will! Maejin smiled in return. "Yes, m'am." 

The woman nodded. "Well, you chose a good, tent, my dear. Every slave in this area is experienced, having had at least two masters in their lives. There are a variety of ages, and we have lined them up by such."

"If possible, I'd like to fine one around my age." Maejin felt like throwing up. What am I saying? I'd rather not find one at all!

"How old are you, sweetie?"

"Sixteen." Well, almost sixteen. She'd be sixteen in a few days, same with Hongbin. 

The woman escorted her to an area in the back.

"We only have two in that age range, but maybe one of them will please you."

Maejin felt her heart break for the millionth time that day, gazing sadly at the two metal cages in front of her. The woman gestured to the cage on the left. 

"In this one, we have Midnight, gender male, age 19, a necromancer."

Midnight was a very pale boy with long, greasy black hair. Like every slave in the Choosing, he was barefoot, wearing only tattered black clothing. He also had chains on his ankles. He glanced over in their direction and Maejin felt a chill go up her spine. His eyes were black, and very menacing. There wasn't fear and despair, but, rather...hatred. Maejin couldn't help but think of Ravi, glad that he hadn't been the same way.

"He's an orphan and became a slave at age fifteen by request. He's had two masters in his life.They had no compaints. The only thing being...well...he's a bit creepy." The woman was avoiding looking into his eyes.

Maejin turned to the other cage. "And this one?"

The woman adjusted her spectacles before responding. "N, gender male, age 17, a demon."

Said demon was sitting with his back to them, his bat-like wings spread so they could barely see him. Maejin also spotted a long, black tail with a tuft of green fur at the tip.

The woman scowled before walking up and kicking the cage. The demon flinched, slowly turning around to face them, his eyes cast downward. He was chained on his neck, wrists, and ankles, which jingled as he moved. The black sweater he was wearing could hardly be called a sweater anymore, it was so torn. Maejin was also quick to notice the many wounds that appeared on his skin, which was very tan. He had cuts and brusies everywhere, some which looked fresh. He had pitch black hair, which also had green streaks in it. She had also noticed, while he had turned around, that the edges of his wings, which were very tattered, were green as well.

"He became a slave when he turned fourteen." The woman read off of her clipboard. "After he was requested by a Blessed, his parents approved."

Maejin scowled. What parent would allow this to happen to their own child? 

"Since then, he's had three masters, a different one each year." The woman continued. "There were no serious complaints about him. They simply grew bored with him."

Maejin felt anger build up inside herself and took a few deep breaths to calm down. She walked over to the cage and knelt down so that she was eye level with the demon. After a few moments, he slowly looked up and met her gaze. Maejin's eyes widened as she stared into his bright, green eyes. They sreamed pain, fear, and...pleading. Remebering how Eunmi had described her first meeting with Ravi, Maejin didn't hesitate with her choice.

"I choose him." She said.

N's eyes widened and he looked back down. Maejin gazed at him sympathetically as she stood up and stepped away from the cage.

The woman pulled out a set of keys. "As you wish."

She unlocked the cage and opened it, snapping at N to get out. He flinched before slowly crawling out of the cage. As he stood up, Maejin noticed him wincing. She turned to the woman.

"Is it okay if he sits down?" The woman rasied an eybrow at her. "He's hurt." N stared at Maejin in surprise.

The woman glanced back and forth between Maejin and N before shrugging. "Whatever you want. He's your slave."

Maejin nodded at N. "It's okay. Sit down."

N hesitated for a few moments, before slowly sitting down, crossing his legs. The woman quickly removed N's chains on his neck and wrists then scribbled a few things down on her clipboard before turning to Maejin.

"Now all that's left is the bind." She walked over to the cage and picked up a small, wooden box that was sitting on top of it. She handed it to Maejin, who took it hesitatnely. "Go ahead. Open it."

Maejin did so and found herlsef looking at a choker. A slave's choker. It was black and had a silver, hexagon shaped charm on the front(an/like the one from the "chained up" mv). 

"That is N's choker." The woman explained. "Once you cast the bind spell and he wears it, he will be forced to obey your every command."

Maejin scowled as she stared at the choker. She had kind of hoped that she wouldn't have to do this part, but she knew she had no choice. Sighing, she took the choker in her hand, giving the box back to the woman.

"Do you know the spell?" The woman asked.

Maejin nodded. "Yes." Father made me memorise it this morning.

She glanced over at N, who was looking down again, fidgeting, before she closed her eyes and chanted the spell. After casting it, she opened her eyes to find the choker glowing, the light slowly dimming away. She slowly knelt by N, who flinched before shifting so she could clasp the choker around his neck, which had been bruised by the chains he was wearing before. She felt him stiffen for a bit, before relaxing as he moved to deeply bow to her, tucking his wings in.

"I now serve you, master." His voice was hoarse and Maejin wondered if he had been given anything to drink today. 

Probably not, She thought.

The woman had Maejin sign some paperwork before she sent her off with her new "slave." Maejin had startled her once agan by asking her to remove the chains on N's ankles as well. Maejin didn't see the big deal. Neither her father or Hongbin had chains on Flame or Ken. After the woman removed the chains, Maejin moved to help support N as they walked back to the limo. He flinched at her contact, but then relaxed, letting her help him walk, though he was very shocked at her...well, her kindness.

Maejin noticed this and felt more sympathy towards the boy.

Whatever those masters did to him in the past...he'll probably be expecting that from me. But I'll never treat him like that. No matter what father says, I'll never be that cruel to someone.