Chapter 1

Mythnal Academy

"Jin! Hurry up!"

"I'm coming!" Lee Maejin scurried out of her room. "Don't get your in a twist!"

Her older twin brother, Lee Hongbin, flicked her forehead. "I don't wear , idiot!"

"It was a figure of speach." Maejin rubbed her now sore forehead. 

Ken, her brother's slave, held a fist to his mouth as if he were holding a microphone, pressing his other hand to his ear. "This just in, Lee Hongbin wears ! I repeat, Lee Hongbin wears !"

Hongbin scowled and bonked Ken on the head while Maejin laughed. Ken gave a goofy grin as he rubbed his head.

"Never say that again." Hongbin then glared at Maejin. "Same goes to you."

Maejin giggled. "Oh, come on. We're only teasing you."

"About something I don't even do!"

Ken reverted back to his reporter character. "This just in, Lee Hongbin does not wear paintes! He goes commando! I repeat-"

"Jaehwan!" Hongbin caught Ken in a cholk hold and began to give him a nuggy. Maejin laughed as Ken squrimed in her brother's grasp, whining for him to let go. After a few minutes, he did, smiling as he ruffled Ken's hair.

Ken put his hand to his ear, rubbing his hurting head. "This just in, Reporter Ken will be taking a temporary leave of absence due to a head injury."

"Come on," Hongbin said, chuckling. "Let's go. Eunmi and Ravi are waiting for us."

Maejin followed her brother and his slave, who was still rubbing his head, outside the Lee family estate. Sure, there were a lot of Lee families in the world, but Maejin's family in particular was known worldwide by all the Mythnal, aka the Supernatural. The Lee family was one of the wealthiest out there and owned a very large company which sold many different magic tools. Maejin and Hongbin's father was the head of the company and becuase of that, they didn't get to see him a lot. And when they did, it wasn't very pleasant for Maejin, considering he favored Hongbin over herself.

The Lee family were one of the Blessed. Angels. As angels, they could use magic, materialize wings to fly, and even make themselves invisible. The Blessed were five different races that were deemed pure in the Beginning, what the Mythnal use to refer to when the different races came into existance. Since the Beginning, the Blessed have always been prosperous, living pamered lives.

The other five races were deemed unpure and named the Cursed. That was what Ken was, a Cursed werewolf. The Cursed did not live prosperous lives, instead they struggled to live, many living in poverty. It also became common, about a hundred years after the Beginning, that the Cursed could also become slaves for the Blessed.

Ken had become Hongbin's slave three years before, when Hongbin and Maejin were thirteen. Being a year older than them, Ken had been fourteen, the age when a Cursed was allowed to become a salve. Ken was an orphan and had grown up in a small orphanage for abandoned Cursed children. There, a Blessed had requested for Ken to become a slave. Becuase he had no parents or guardians to speak against it, he was labeled a slave and had become a part of the Choosing.

The Choosing was an weekly event held for Blessed to find thier own slave to command. Maejin had only been there once, when she accompanied her family to find Hongbin's slave, which had been forced to happen by their father. They both had loved Ken's outgoing and fun personalilty, which he wasn't shy to show, and Hongbin chose him as his slave.

Both Maejin and Hongbin hated the idea of slavery. It sickened them. Maejin thanked the lucky stars that her father didn't take much notice of her, becuase if he did, he'd make her get a slave just like he did with Hongbin. Since Hongbin was, technically, the oldest of the twins and the only son, he would take over the family company after their father. Hongbin was his pride and joy. As such, he had to be viewed as the perfect son...by the Mythnal world's standards. In other words, he had to put on an act, But he only did that if his father or a very important figure was present.

Maejin, Hongbin, and Ken got on board a bus, sitting towards the center. Ken hesitated to sit at first, making sure no important people were on the bus as well, before taking a seat beside Maejin. It was a common thing for them. If the coast was clear, they were free to act as they wanted. Maejin prayed that they didn't run into any stiffs in suits today.

At their stop, they quickly got off. After walking down the sidewalk for a bit, they finally caught sight of who they were meeting.

"Eunmi! Ravi!" Maejin called.

The two spotted them and quickly ran over to them. Eunmi, Maejin's best friends since they were kids, gave her bestie a big bear hug. She was a fairy, one of the Blessed. Fairies were similar to angels, able to used magic and create wings to fly. What set them apart was the appearance of the wings, as well as the fact that all fairies each had a different gift. Eunmi's gift was Sight, allowing her to see across long distances.

Ravi was a Cursed and also Eunmi's slave. He was a necromancer, able to see, talk to, and control the dead, though he preferred not to do the latter. It had been a year since he became Eunmi's slave. Like Ken, he had been an orphan and had been requested at the age of fifteen. A few days later, he had been found and chosen by Eunmi.

Eunmi had the same views as Maejin and Hongbin, and since her family didn't really care about how the "top dogs" viewed them, she was able to treat Ravi however she wanted. She hadn't planned to get a slave since her parents didn't even have one, but she had decided to choose him while she was there with her cousin, who was choosing his own slave. She had wanted to take him away from the cruel living ways at the Choosing. At the Choosing, slaves were forced to stay in cages, where they were barey fed, wore torn clothing, were barefoot, and sometimes even abused. Eunmi had found Ravi in a cold, rusty cage, barefoot and shivering in a thin, torn black sweater and worn out black jeans. One sad look from him was enough to convince her to take him as her slave, though she never called him that.

Eunmi greeted Hongbin and Ken with hugs as well as Ravi waved a peace sign to Maejin. 

"I'm so excited!" Eunmi squealed. "We finally get to go to the Academy!"

"It'll definitely be nice," Maejin suddenly scowled. "Especially since father won't be there."

Hongin patted her back. "Just for parent's day."

Maejin scoffed. "Even then, I won't go see him."

Ken bounced happily with Eunmi. "It's gonna be so much fun!" He gave a cute pout. "I wish I could study, though."

Ravi nodded. "Me, too."

Eunmi giggled. "Don't worry. I'll teach you everything I learn!"

They were referring to the elite supernatural school, Mythnal Academy. There, students studied basic subjects like math and english, as well as special ones like magic and combat. Students study there for five years, beginning at age sixteen. The Blessed are the only ones allowed to enroll there, but can be accompanied by their slave if they have one. It was also their reason for meeting. Today, they were going out to shop for school supplies.

After shopping around for a few hours, they stopped at a local cafe to get something to eat. Like on the train, Ken glanced around before sitting down to eat after seeing that the coast was clear. Ravi didn't have to check since Eunmi didn't care about anyone seeing a slave sitting down and eating, something that shouldn't be allowed by "certain standards."

"Jin," Hongbin spoke a while later. "Have you..." He hesitated. "Have you ever thought about getting a slave?"

It went dead quiet.

"No." Maejin finally replied.

"I just mean..." Hongbin sighed. "I've heard stories about happens to students who don't have them. They're picked on a bullied and don't have any friends. I don't want that to happen to you. And since I have to put up a...facade for the school, I can't be there to protect you."

Maejin shrugged. "I'll be fine. I'll have Eunmi and Ravi with me. That's all I need."

"But-"

"I refuse!" Maejin snapped. "You know how I feel about it!"

"I do!" Hongbin nodded. "Becuase I feel the same way! However-"

"I'll never get one! End of discussion!

............

Later, after walking Eunmi and Ravi home, Maejin and Hongbin rode the train home. Once arriving home, they were met with the rare sight of their father, Lee Hangin. They bowed to him, though Maejin was slow to do so.

"My children, welcome home." Hangin said.

I should say that to you, Maejin thought. You haven't been home for a month!

"Find everything you needed?"

Hongbin nodded. "Yes, sir. We went out with Eunmi and R-uh...with Eunmi to get them together." Mentioning Ravi's name was a big no-no for Hongbin. Standards stated that a slave's name should only be mentioned if giving an order...or if they're being punished. It was also expected for the master to never mention the slave's real name, or birthname, something Hongbin had done just that morning when addressing Ken.

Hangin smiled at his favorite child. "Good, good. Go get some rest, there's still a lot to prepare tomorrow before you go to school."

"Yes, father." Hongbin bowed, followed by Maejin and Ken, the latter standing where he was "supposed to be." By the door. 

"Maejin." She froze as her father spoke. "Can you come into my office for a bit? There's something we need to discuss."

Sighing, Maejin told Hongbin goodnight, also quickly mouthing it to Ken, before following her father into his office. Even when he was home, he spent most of his time here. Her father's slave, Flame, stood outside the office, his face stoic as it always was. Hangin sat at his desk while Maejin stayed standing.

"What do you want, father?"

Hangin got straight to the point. "You'll be going somewhere with me tomorrow. After that, you'll be fully prepared to go to the academy."

"What do you mean?" Maejin knew whatever it meant, it couldn't be good.

"Both Hongbin and you're friend, Eunmi are fully prepared to attend Mythnal Academy. You, however, are not."

Maejin shook her head. "I still don't know what you mean."

"As a member of the Lee family, you must maintain a certain image at the school so as not to dirty our name." He cleared his throat. "And that is why, tomorrow morning, you will go to the Choosing."

Maejin paled as she realized what he meant. She was right, it wans't good."

"Y-You mean...?" Maejin couldn't even say it.

Her father nodded. "Tomorrow, you are going to the Choosing. There, you will choose your slave."

 

 

A/N: So..this fanfic may or may not have been inspired by VIXX's new comback(heehee!)

Hope you guys enjoy it! :)