Chapter 4

Mythnal Academy

At 8am the next morning, Maejin woke up to her alarm that she set on her phone. After shutting it off, she sat up, rubbing her eyes. She then looked to see that N was still asleep, having not moved from the spot where he fell asleep the last night. Smiling, she carefully got out of bed so she didn't wake him and tip-toed into the bathroom to brush her teeth. After that, she changed into some ripped jeans and a t-shirt before exiting her bedroom and going downstairs to the kitchen. The family cook, Inhye, was preparing some breakfast and smiled as Maejin walked in.

"Good morning, Maejin." Inhye greeted. "Ready for some breakfast?"

"Very ready." Maejin sat at the counter. "I'm starving."

"Good. I've prepared some rice and kimchi. Is there anything else you'd like?"

Maejin shook her head. "No, that'll do. However, could you set some aside for me to take upstairs later?"

Inhye, knowing that she now had a slave like Hongbin, understood what she meant immediately. "Sure, of course. Oh, and your parents both had to leave early this morning for meetings. They won't be able to see you off at the train station but they said to let you know they're proud of you and to study hard!"

Maejin gave the cook a fake smile, then let it drop when she turned around.

While she rarely saw her father due to meetings, buisness trips, or just avoiding him because she didn't want to see him anyway, she also barely saw her mother. This was mostly becuase her mother partied. A lot. She also shopped and slept a lot. She worked for the family company, too...but only had to attend meetings once every month. If she wasn't asleep at home, she was out with her friends, shopping and clubbing. Her father didn't minds it, saying she should enjoy life while she is still able.

Growing up, Maejin and Hongbin were cared for more by their family workers than their parents. Inhye was one of those workers and was more of a mother to Maejin than her real one.

After eating breakfast, Maejin went back up to her room, where she quickly finished the rest of her packing, still careful to not wake N. After packing, she glanced over at the bed-side clock. 9:30am. Deciding it was probably time to wake him up, Maejin walked over to the side of the bed that he slept on and sat down, nudging his arm.

"N." She said. "Time to wake up."

N stirred, shifting so he layed on his stomach. Very slowly, his eyes opened up and he stretched his arms out aginst the headboard, yawning. Maejin then noticed that he had sharp, canine fangs. His eyes suddenly widened as he looked around, stopping to stare at Maejin, who smiled at him. He seemed confused for a moment and his mouth slightly opened.

"What is it?" Maejin asked.

N's gaze seemed relieved and he almost looked like he was going to cry.

"It wasn't a dream?"

Maejin smiled. "No, it wasn't."

N slowly sat up, gazing around the room. He then sighed softly, giving a slight smile.

"It didn't seem real." He looked at Maejin. "I seriously thought that..." He didn't finish.

Maejin ruffled his hair, which was messy from sleeping on it. N seemed a bit surprised at the action, but then smiled.

"You hungy?" Maejin asked.

N hesitated before nodding. "Yeah, a bit."

Maejin walked over to her desk and grabbed the container that Inhye had filled with rice and kimchi, as well as a fork, and brought it over to N, who had gotten off the bed and sat on the floor. N held the container in one hand as he held the fork in the other. 

"Thanks for the food." He said before he began to eat. Maejin then walked over to her mini fridge and took out a thing of banana milk that she had placed there last night. N's eyes widened as he saw her bring it over and he set down the rice and kimchi to take it, immediately taking a drink, closing his eyes. Once again, his tail began to swish back and forth in happiness and Maejin couldn't help but giggle.

N looked up at her curiously. "What?"

"Nothing." Maejin giggled again. "It's just...you're, well...cute."

N tilted his head. "Cute?"

Maejin sat down by him, ruffling his hair again. "Yeah. Cute."

N looked away, slightly blushing. "Um...thanks...I guess?"

Maejin giggled before gently touching his back. "How do your wounds feel?"

N stretched his arms up, sighing. "It barely hurts." He look her her. "What'd you use?"

"A healing cream that I made. It works wonders!"

N nodded, taking a bite of rice and kimchi. Maejin let him finish eating, as well as his banana milk, before she asked him to take his shirt off.

"I need to check your back wounds, since they were the worst."

N nodded and stood up, pulling the shirt off, also letting his wings fold back out. Maejin had him sit on the bed as she carefully removed the bandages, pleased to find that they had almost healed. She also checked his wings and found the condition the same. 

"Looks good." Maejin applied some more cream to his wings and back before bandaging them again. "By tomorrow, you should be fully healed."

After Maejin finished bandaging his back, N got off from the bed and knelt to the ground bowing. "Thank you, master. I really appreciate it."

Maejin shook her head. "Please don't do that?"

N looked up. "Do what?"

"Bow and call me master." Maejin helped him stand back up. "I don't want you to see me as a master, but a friend."

N rubbed his neck. "Sorry. It'll take me a while to...get used to this."

"It okay." Maejin ruffled his hair. "Like I said yesterday, just call me Maejin."

N nodded. "Okay. Maejin."

"And also...I was wondering." Maejin said as N folded his wings back in and put his shirt back on. "What's your real name?"

"My real name?" N tilted his head.

"Yeah, I'm curious what it is."

N hesitated before answering. "Cha Hakyeon."

"Hakyeon." Maejin smiled. "I like it. Would you like me to call you that instead?"

N shrugged. "Whatever you want to call me. I'm fine with either."

"Okay, I should...probably call you N most of the time. Especially at school." Maejin sighed. "He has to keep a certain image there and I'd ruin it by calling you by your real name."

"I'm fine with you calling me N." N said. "It's shorter anyway."

Maejin nodded. "That's true. However, I might call you Hakyeon some times when it's just the two of us. Hongbin even does that sometimes."

"He's like you, huh?"

"Yeah, except he's dad's favorite so he's being forced to keep to society's standards. He's going to take over the family company someday, so he has to have the perfect reputation."

N gave a sad look. "I'd hate that. Having to pretend to be someone that you're not."

Maejin sighed. "He's gotten better at it. He definiltey hates it... but he's now able to keep his true emotions hidden." After a moment of silence, she clapped her hands together. "Well! Time to go!"

"Go where?"

"To the mall." Maejin smiled. "Time to get you a new wardrobe."