Chapter 3

Mythnal Academy

After arriving back at her family's estate, Maejin helped N walk inside the mansion, up the stairs, and into her bedroom. Maejin had expected N to glance around at the estate in awe and amazement, but he stayed stoic. Then she remembered that he had had three masters before.

They probably lived in ways similar to my family.

After helping N into her bedroom, she had him sit on the bed bench at the foot of her large, cal king bed. She walked over to her large, chesnut dresser and pulled out her own personal healing supplies, which she kept in a box, from one of the drawers. While she knew magic, there were only a few healing spells total in the Mythnal world. There were, however, numerous potions and creams that did wonders on wounds if made correctly. She began studying to be a healer at the age of eight. Once she turned twelve, she'd learned all the basics and then pretty much just taught herself afterwards. 

Maejin placed the box on the bed behind N before sitting beside him. "Which ones hurt the worst?"

N cocked his head to the side. "What?"

"Your wounds." Maejin opened the box and took out a few previosly made creams. "Which ones hurt more?"

N stayed silent for a few minutes before responding. "On my back...and wings." His voice still sounded hoarse.

Maejin's eyes widened. She hadn't realized he had wounds on his wings as well. She carefully examined each wing, ignoring N's flinches, discovering that they were highly bruised and that the left one also had a few deep cuts on it. She applied some cream over the bruises first before heading into her bathroom to fill a container with water and start a bath. After returning, she began washing the cuts on his wing.

"I've started a bath for you so you can get washed up." Maejin said. "Be sure to clean your wounds very well, okay?"

N winced as she conintued to clean the cuts. "A...bath?" 

Maejin nodded as she finished cleaning the wing. "Go on in and I'll go get you some spare clothes, kay?"

N looked at her in surprise for what seemed like the hundrenth time that day.

"Oh, and I just realized you don't even know my name. It's Maejin. You can call me that instead of master." She added before leaving her bedroom and knocking on the door of her brother's room.

"Hongbin! You in there?"

"Yeah! Come on in!"

Maejin entered to find Hongbin packing some clothes in his suitcase while Ken sat on the bed, also a large cal king, watching.

"How'd the Choosing go?" Hongbin asked. "You find someone?"

Maejin nodded. "Yeah, which is why I'm here." She turned to Ken. "Do you have any spare clothes he could borrow? The ones he's wearing now can't even be called that anymore."

Ken grinned. "Sure! Shoes, too?"

"Yeah, if you can." She glanced at his feet. "Looks like you both have similar foot sizes."

Ken bounced up and ran into the walk in closet while Maejin sat on a corner of the bed.

"So, what's his name?" Hongbin asked, sitting beside her.

"N." Maejin sighed. "Still don't know what his real name is, but I'll ask him later."

"What is he?"

"A demon."

Hongbin gaped. "A demon?" Maejin nodded. "Wow..."

"What? Why are you so surprised?"

"You really don't know?"

Maejin shook her head. "Not a clue."

"Demon slaves are, well...rare." At this point, Ken had left the closet, carrying a pair of old nikes, socks, sweats, and a One Piece t-shirt. "They don't usually become slaves since most aren't orphaned."

"N wasn't orphaned." Maejin scowled. "His parents accepted the request."

Hongbin's eyes widened. "They did?"

Maejin nodded. "I don't know the whole story, just that they said yes and that he became one at fourteen."

To quickly explain, fourteen is the age when a Cursed can become a slave. To become one, they either apply(extremely rare) or are requested by a Blessed. If someone has parents or a guardian, they must accept the request for them to become one. If someone is orphaned, they automatically become one, which is why a large number of slaves are orphans. 

"He also had three masters beofre me." Maejin added.

Hongbin shook his head. "I'll bet he was treated like hell."

"I'd take that bet." Maejin sighed. "N flinches every time I touch him or say his name."

Hongbin patted her back. "It'll pass. Once he figures out you're not like the others."

Maejin nodded, grateful for her brother's comfort.

Ken handed Maejin the clothes. "Will these be okay?"

"Perfect." Maejin ruffled his hair. "Thanks, Ken!"

She left the room and went back into hers, finding N heading to the bathroom. She helped him walk in then placed the sweats on the countertop. 

"Change into these when you're finished." She said. "I'll start packing."

"Packing?"

"For Mythnal Academy. The train ride there is tomorrow at 1pm." Maejin explained.

N nodded in understanding before Maejin left the bathroom and entered her large, walk-in closet. She pulled out her suitcase then placed it on her bed, zipping it open. For the next fifteen minutes, she packed all the clothes she wanted to take, minus the outfit she would wear tomorrow. With that finished, she zipped it back up and placed it on the floor. She glanced over at the clock on her nightstand. 12:30 pm.

He's probably hungry.

She walked over the the closed bathroom door and knocked.

"N! What's your favorite type of pizza?"

"Pizza?"

"Yeah, I'm going to order some! What would you like?" Maejin could just imagine his shocked look, since she'd seen it so much that day.

It was silent for a few seconds before she heard, "Meat Lovers?"

"Meat Lovers it is!" And with that, Maejin phoned the nearest pizza place and ordered two large Meat Lovers and two Hawaiian, all with cheese stuffed crust, along with three orders of breadsticks. She also called Hongbin and asked him to come bring it when it arrived.

After about ten more minutes, the bathroom door opened and N walked out wearing the sweats, still drying his hair with a towel. Maejin sat down on the bed bench and motioned for him to sit by her. When he sat down, Maejin had him turn a little so she could view his back better. 

Aside from the fresh wounds, she could also see numerous scars. She carefully examined the wounds, noticing that some were infected. She gently placed a hand on the center of his back. He flinched, hissing in pain.

"Sorry." Maejin gave him a sad look. "This'll just take a minute."

She began to chant a spell, her hand glowing white. After removing her hand, the wounds' infections were gone and N seemed to relax a bit. She then reached over and grabbed the same cream she'd used on his wing.

"This'll sting a little but bear with it." She said before she began to apply it on his back.

He winced a few times at first, but then relaxed as she began massaging his back with it. After that, she began to work on his other wounds, which he had on his shoulders, arms, chest, stomach, lower legs, and feet. After applying the cream, she bandaged the wounds. Maejin caught N giving her a questioning look as she was wrapping his arms and she gave him a gentle smile.

After applying the last bandage on his shoulder, she finished drying his hair with the towel, throwing it to the side before motioning to his wings, the left one also having been wrapped. "Think you can fold them in? Or will it be too painful?"

N hesitated before slowly folding in his wings. He winced a few times before they were tucked close to his back. Maejin handed him the t-shirt, which he stared at before putting it on. N had tucked his wings in so close that they weren't even visible under the shirt.

"Alright, turn toward me again." Maejin said.

N did so and Maejin began to treat the few cuts on his face. The most deep cut was on his right cheek. N stared at her the whole time in awe. Just as she finished placing a bandage on his cheek, there was a knock at the door.

"Maejin!" Came Ken's voice. "It's us!" 

"Come in!"

Hongbin and Ken entered the room, the latter holding four large pizza boxes. Hongbin help up the bag of breadsticks.

"We come bearing food!" Ken placed the boxes on the floor, giving a playful bow. "Now we shall fetch some napkins and drinks!"

Maejin giggled before turning to N. "What'd you like to drink? Pick anything."

N's eyes widened. "Anything?"

Maejin nodded. "Yeah, we have pretty much every drink on the planet in our kitchen...mostly for guests and stuff."

N played with his fingers before shyly glancing to the side. "I...I like banana milk."

Ken saluted. "Banana milk coming right up!" He turned to Maejin. "And for you?"

Maejin laughed. "Just water, Ken. Two bottles."

He saluted again. "Yes, ma'am!"

Hongbin set the breadsticks down, chuckling. "We'll be back."

The two left and N glanced at Maejin in question.

"My brother and his..." Maejin sighed. "You know..."

"Slave?" N touched his choker.

Maejin nodded. "Ken. He was the one acting like a dork." She giggled. "He's always like that."

"And your brother?"

"Hongbin. He's my twin brother."

N rasied an eyebrow. "Twin?"

Maejin nodded. "Yup! Older by three minutes and twenty four seconds!" She then sat on the floor, patting it. "Come sit."

N glanced around before back at Maejin. "You're letting me sit down?"

"You were sitting down before. What's the big deal?"

N hesitatnely moved to sit down on the floor. Maejin opened the top pizza box, a Meat Lovers, and placed it in front of N. "Eat up!"

N hesitated. "You're...letting me eat?"

"Yup. You're hungry, right?" As if on cue, N's stomach growled. Maejin giggled as N sheepishly looked down. "Go ahead! Eat!"

"All of it?"

"If you can't eat all of it, it's fine." Maejin opened a Hawaiian and placed it in front of her. "We can save what's left over for tomorrow."

N still hesitated as he watched Maejin take a bite of pizza. Noticing, she pointed to his pizza box. "Go ahead. Eat."

N slowly reach over at picked up a piece, glancing back at Maejin, who nodded. Then, he slowly took a bite, closing his eyes as he chewed. Maejin smiled as she watched him, giggling as she noticed his tail start to swish back and forth.

"Is it good?" She asked.

N nodded before taking another bite, this one bigger than the last. By the time Hongbin and Ken returned with napkins and drinks, N had finished two slices. Hongbin sat across from them as Ken handed them their drinks. Maejin handed N one of the bottles.

"You should drink some water first. You haven't had any today, right?"

N shook his head and took a drink of water. Hongbin glanced at N.

"So, N...how old are you?" He asked.

N looked at Maejin, who nodded for him to answer. "Seventeen." 

"Same age as me!" Ken grinned, sitting down by Hongbin and opening the other Meat Lovers box. "When's your birthday?" He picked up a slice, taking a bite.

N blinked, surprised at Ken's "unslave-like" behavior. Slaves didn't normally sit down and eat, much less speak freely to another without a master's permission. "June 30." He spoke hesitantely. 

"Then I'm older than you! Mine's April 6!"

N glanced at Maejin, very confused. She giggled.

"Confused, huh?."

N glanced at Hongbin and Ken. "A little."

Hongbin smiled. "I pretty much give him free reign whenever my parents aren't around, or any other important figure." Hongbin chuckled as N's eyes widened. "You'd better start getting used to it, too."

N pointed to himself. "Me?"

"Jin will pretty much give you free reign 24/7." Hongbin said.

"Jin?"

"That's what Hongbin calls me." Maejin said.

"I just call her Maejin!" Ken took a big bite of pizza.

N looked around at them, clearly stunned.

Maejin smiled. "Hurry up and eat before it gets cold."

For the next ten minutes, they ate in silence, minus the occasional witty remark from Ken. When N had taken a drink of his banana milk, he had given a small smile, the first Maejin had seen from him. His tail had also started to swish again. He had eaten six of the eight slices, while Ken had eaten the entire other Meat Lovers box. Hongbin and Maejin had together finished one Hawaiian box. They had also finished all of the breadsticks.

Ken clapped his hands together. "Thank you for the food!"

Hongbin stood up, picking up the empty pizza boxes. "We're gonna head to the mall for some last minute shopping. Wanna come?"

Maejin glanced over at N, whose eyes were starting to look droopy. "I think we'll save that for later."

Hongbin nodded. "Okay. Let's go, Ken."

Ken nodded before grinning at N. "It was nice meeting you!" He then gathered up the leftover pizza boxes and followed Hongbin out of the room. 

Maejin scooted closer to N as he sipped the last of his banana milk. "Go ahead and rest now."

N looked at her, though not in shock. In gratitude.

"You're...really different from other masters, aren't you?" His voice didn't sound hoarse anymore, but soft and, to Maejin, very beautiful. 

Maejin smiled. "Yeah, I am." She helped him stand up, a little surprised when he didn't flinch upon her contact.

She guided him over to the left side of her bed, pulling back the covers. N stayed still, staring at the bed.

"What's wrong?" Maejin asked. He didn't respond. "Yes, I'm letting you sleep in my bed. It's fine, cause it's a really big bed. I know you aren't used to it, but I think we've already established that I will treat you differently."

N shook his head. "It's not that, it's just..." N tilted his head to the side. "I haven't slept on a bed for three years."

Oh yeah. Maejin thought. I didn't think about that.

She smiled as she watched N slowly sit on the bed, running his hands on the sheets, before snuggling into it on his side. Maejin draped the covers over him as he slowly closed his eyes. As she turned around to clean up the empty drinks and used napkins, she heard N whisper softly.

"Thank you."

Maejin looked back, smiling. "You're welcome." 

She then took the trash out of her room, shutting off the light on her way. After dumping the drinks and napkins in the kitchen's trash, she went back up to her room, keeping extra quiet. Upon entering, she found N already fast asleep. Smiling, she quickly and quietly grabbed a book from her nightstand before leaving to go into the library.

Sweet dreams, N.

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the late update but it was a pretty busy week! Hope everyone had a great and happy Thanksgiving! :)