Chapter 5: Mark

Let Me Hear Your Voice (Sequel to Time Bomb)

Chapter 5: Mark

 

 

“We’re very sorry that had happened. We’ll check up on her regularly to prevent this from occurring again,” a nurse apologized and left the room. It was heart-stopping, but luckily, we weren’t too late. I looked over towards Yugyeom, who was gripping onto the bedsheet. His knuckles turned pale white as he gritted his teeth while mumbling under his breath.

 

“Yugyeom, what’s wrong?” I asked.

 

The taller boy shrugged it off, “ I need to do something. I’ll be back tomorrow. Take care of her.” He looked troubled as his shoulders were hunched while leaving and he almost ran into the door. Something was definitely wrong. Checking the time, I decided to leave too. “I’ll come by tomorrow again. Same time,” I smiled and kissed her head before leaving.

 

As I gripped onto the steering wheel, I made a mental note to check on the younger boy after breakfast tomorrow. With a sigh, I unlocked my apartment door and fell onto the couch. Jackson walked in without a shirt on while grinning at his phone. Looking around, I threw him a shirt as I rolled my eyes when he protested.

 

“Back from the hospital huh?” he smirked. 

 

“It’s been such a hectic day.” I replied with a sigh. “I still haven’t studied for finals and winter break is almost over.”

 

“Who needs to study?” Jackson scoffed, “Dude, your future is already set. You can just drop out man.”

 

I snorted, “That’s ridiculous. Just because I have a job offer at Samsung doesn’t mean I’m going to take it. I don’t understand why my dad applied for me.” 

 

“Loser,” I heard him mumbled before grinning again. “So what are you planning to do then? I mean, you’re gonna graduate soon man.”

 

Burying my head into the pillow, I sighed again. Graduation was never on my mind until he spoke of it. I was just worried about Saehee and our future. What if she never wakes up? I thought and shivered. “I haven’t really thought of it.”

 

“See!” he laughed his signature hyena laugh, “Just take the damn offer!”

 

“I got more important things to worry about,” I growled. “It’s late Jacks, you should sleep.”

 

“Whatever,” he rolled his eyes and smacked my arm, “don’t sleep on the couch this time.” I waited for him to return to his room before taking out my phone. Tapping the number, I waited for that familiar voice to pick up. “Jinyoung, I need you to do a background check on someone.... Don’t whine man, put your hacking skills to good use. Aren’t you going to become the next superstar cop? … Fine, I’ll send you the information on what I know about him… Just get it to me as soon as possible.”

 


 

 

After breakfast the next morning, I drove over to Yugyeom’s place and rang the door. Waiting, I paced around but the door never opened. I gave him a call but his phone was off. Taking my keys out of my pocket, I stuck the extra key in that I got from Saehee and turned the knob. It was quiet and when I called his name, I only heard my voice. Checking the rooms, I sighed. He must have gone out. I wanted to leave, but the room ahead of me gave off a weird aura. I walked closer and found myself in an unoccupied room. I recalled that their uncle Jun Han was living with them but there were only four bedrooms: Yugyeom’s, Saehee’s, their parents and a guest room, which was currently empty. 

 

Looking around, I went into Yugyeom’s room and found a black laptop on his bed. I frowned; Yugyeom owned a Macbook, not a Toshiba. Turning it on, an open folder appeared on the screen and my breath hitched. Pictures from last year and perhaps more were scattered. There were pictures of Saehee and Yugyeom in class that were dated back in September while a almost-recent picture of Saehee and I in December made me wonder. I scrolled down and my frown became deeper, until I saw a word document. Curiosity got the best of me while I waited for it to open.

 

To Yugyeom:

Don’t trust him. I know him better than anyone. He’s devious and cunning and I know that he’s planning something. No matter what, do not trust him. 

If something ever happens to me, make sure your stupid uncle doesn’t do anything to you or Saehee.

He knows what you and Sae can do, Yugyeom. He’s out to get us. All of us.

-Dad

 

 

Exactly who was Kim Jun Han? Was he planning something against his own family?

 

My phone rang and I picked it up, “What is it?”

 

“…He’s clean Mark. I can’t find anything. I tried asking my Dad as well without seeming suspicious. He checked through all his files. The guy’s clean.” I groaned, “By the way, who is this guy?”

 

“He’s dangerous,” I replied as I continued scrolling through the pictures once again. “Ever since he got here, bad things started happening.” Frowning, I examined a picture of Saehee and I in a diner on sixth street. Nothing was out of the ordinary, but I couldn’t help but wonder why Yugyeom had these pictures. I tapped the right key and froze.

 

“Mark… you still there?” I heard Jinyoung’s voice but I dropped the phone and took a better look at the new photo. It was a close up picture of a license plate number. 

 

“Jin, I need you to do me another favor. Can you check who owns this plate number?”

 

I waited until he sighed, “My dad’s getting really curious, man. Fine, I’ll do it, but this is the last time.” It was silent over his end but I could hear shifting here and there. His breathing suddenly stopped and I could hear a faint “holy .” His fingers flew over the keyboard and I asked him what was wrong. “Dude… Apparently this license plate is for a black Toyota truck. The owner… well, you pretty much know them.”

 

“No way,” I gasped, “Saehee’s dad?”

 

I imagined Jinyoung nodding on the other side, “Yeah. Bro, what are you doing? I mean, how did you get his license plate when his car is with the police?”

 

“I…” I gulped, “I found some pictures in Yugyeom’s laptop… No, actually, scratch that. The laptop isn’t his. I.. I think it’s Mr. Kim’s.”

 

“Well…” he paused, “Isn’t that a good thing? I mean, if the pictures could help prove Mr. Kim innocent, send them over!”

 

“We can’t be sure yet. They’re random pictures of Me, Sae and Gyeom. Jin… I’ll send these files to you but don’t show your dad yet. I need help putting these together.”

 

“Got it.”

 

 


 

 

When I arrived at the hospital, I looked around before entering the room. Yugyeom was nowhere to be seen still.

 

“Oh, Mark,” the head nurse smile at me, “I just changed her bedding. I come with good news as well.” I smiled at her and nodded for her to continue. “Doctor Yong came in to check on her earlier this morning. She says Saehee is doing much better. She’s recovering really fast and believes that Saehee will wake up soon.”

 

“That’s good,” I grinned, “Thank you for the news.”

 

“Of course. Have a good day!” She closed the door behind her and I walked up towards the bed. 

 

“You’re going to wake up huh… I hope it’s soon.” I layed my head on the bed and watched her sleep, “I don’t think I can last another day… Everything’s been really hectic lately.” I smiled to myself, “But when you wake up, I’m going to stick by you until you get sick of me. I can’t risk losing you again.”

 

It was quiet except for the sound of the heart monitor, the oxygen mask and the humidifier. Turning on the TV, I flipped through the channels until I finally settled on the Animal Planet. Memories started to cloud my mind as I watched a family of dogs take care of each other. 

 

 

October, 19, 20xx

 

“Do you like dogs?” I asked her as she walked passed me. Rolling her eyes, Saehee started stacking a pile of books back into their designated spots. “Come one, I just want to get to know you better.”

 

“Yes, I do,” she answered, “now leave me alone, Tuan. Unlike you, I need to get some volunteer hours in. Why are you here anyways?”

 

“You don’t need to finish them until the end of the year. Why hurry?” I asked but she gave me a bunch of books to shut me up. “And I’m here because I need a book for my social paper that’s due on Friday.” Following her around, I placed the books back where they belonged and turned around to see her flipping through a picture book. I peered over her shoulder and grinned. It was a book about raising dogs. “So you do like dogs.” Her eyes sparkled as she flipped the pages.

 

“Yeah. I like puppies the best. I saw a show on Animal Planet once where they showcased puppies. It made me want to get one.”

 

January 5th, 20xx

 

I woke up to the sound of my phone going off. How long was I asleep for? I thought while reaching into my pocket, “Hello?”

 

“Mark, I need you to come down to the police station,” his familiar voice shocked me.

 

Pulling the phone away, I checked the caller ID. “Yugyeom? Where are you? I went to visit you this morning at your house but you weren’t there! Why was your phone turned off!? Do you know how- wait…” I blinked a couple times, “Why are you at the police station?!”

 


 

Happy New Year everyone! What are your New Years resolutions?