Chapter 3: Mark

Let Me Hear Your Voice (Sequel to Time Bomb)

Chapter 3: Mark

 

Shooop…. click….

 

It was exactly like mine; the white walls, the heart monitor and oxygen tank and the white bed on the right hand side of the room next to the closed window. It was a simple room, but my heart felt heavier with every step I took towards the window. Replacing the old flowers in the vase with new, colourful roses, I took a seat in the chair and stared. The calendar on the wall had to be changed and it made me realise how much time had passed.


 

Today was New Year's day.


 

“You should wake up soon,” I said to her. “It’s not fair that everyone else is celebrating the new year, while you’re here lying in bed. Yugyeom even threatened to open your Christmas presents earlier.” Pushing back a strand of hair that fell out of place, I smiled and rubbed her cheek with my thumb. She had no number. It was missing, but I didn't mind; it was actually reassuring. Checking the clock, I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and grinned once more, “I’ll come again tomorrow.”

 

Greeting the nurse who I passed, I headed towards the parking lot and roamed around. My body was refusing to go into the direction of where my car was parked for the fifth time. Forcing my legs, I ended up in the far end of the third level where my dark blue vehicle sat alone. “Remember… this is therapy,” I thought to myself and unlocked the car. The rush of cold air distracted me from the traumatizing event that kept replaying in my head. I took a deep breath and shifted gears. “You can do this Tuan.”

 

I was a more… careful driver. However, trucks still scared me and I was afraid that I would get hit again. So, I completely avoided them at all costs. A week after the accident, I was recommended therapy classes where I had an instructor teach me how to be calm again in a vehicle. It was the worst two weeks of my life but my teacher reminded me that I wasn’t only doing it for myself.


 

“Mark turn the wheel!” I remember him reaching for the steering wheel and jerking it to the right. The car swerved back onto the right side of the road where I gained control again. “You almost killed us dammit!” He… He was an interesting fellow. Whenever I would get distracted or end up hyperventilating, he would swear at me, telling me to ‘get my head out of the gutter’. He was humble but swore… a lot. We hung out a lot even though he was at least thirty years older. His name was Chris Jung and based on his grumpy attitude around girls, he was single. Chris was (and admitted it himself) that he was a “Korean Popstar wannabe”. He would joke around and pretend to sing off key in a certain cafe where they blasted American music 24/7. He got clingy sometimes too. When I went to go visit Saehee one day, he followed.

 

“It’s my duty as an instructor to come with you,” he had declared and marched into hospital without second thoughts. I let him be and waited for him to realise that Saehee’s room was on the 12th floor and not the 4th. I didn’t mind the wait because I figured that Saehee was most likely getting a wash down along with her IV bag changed.

 

Twenty minutes of foolishly following the confused man however, was getting frustrating. “Chris, her room is on the 12th floor!” I shouted and he snapped his head.

 

“I knew that,” he marched past me, heading towards the elevators. His sassy side was coming out. The ride up was annoying as Chris became childish. He was bickering about the fact that I didn’t tell him earlier where the room number was and how to get there. The elevator doors opened and while he stepped out, I rubbed my head. I was ready to crash.

 

“Mark! Hurry up you slowpoke!” Yup. Ready. To. Crash.




 

Smiling at the fresh memory, I stepped on the gas pedal and headed towards Mirae where Sora greeted me. She had my caramel macchiato waiting for me along with a bunch of baked goods. “Hey Mark! Happy New Year!” She briefly looked at me before continuing with her nagging. Taking her rag, she slapped Yugyeom who yelped and dropped the metal cup in the sink.

 

“Happy New Year to you too,” I replied. Yugyeom looked at me with expressive eyes but I shook my head with a grin, “You decided to take the job, Gyeom. Now you got to suffer.”

 

“Yeah,” he started and yelped once more, “ But I didn’t know my girlfriend would be so… abusive!” Whack! “Alright, alright, I’ll focus!”

 

They really were a confusing couple. Bidding goodbye, I walked across the street towards a flower shop and bought a dozen daisies. The cashier (having seen me every second week of each month) already had them wrapped for me. “You never tell me who they’re for.” Shaking my head, I tell her it’s a secret and enter my car.


 


 


 


 

It was lightly snowing when I arrived. Taking a long hike up the hill, I finally faced the tombstone. “Here’s your flowers you old geezer.” Standing back, I took a look at the words and smiled. Jung Chris June 6th, 19xx-20xx. The journey is the reward. On his right was his wife’s grave and on his left was his one-year-old daughter, both resting peacefully. I only knew this because Chris told me in his will after he suddenly died of leukemia. Of course I knew he was going to die but my heart felt lighter after reading that he wanted to die for so long. He had suffered a lot. Pondering around, I went to go find Saehee’s grandparents when I stumbled on a certain someone.

 

“Hello Mr. Kim,” I bowed.

 

Her uncle looked up and gave me a light smile, “Hello Mark. Happy New Year. I hope you’re doing well. I haven’t seen you in a while.” I wasn’t really close with him (never have and most likely never will)  but Yugyeom recently started smiling again because of him. That, I had respect for. He was there for him when Yugyeom’s parents were suddenly thrown into jail. Jun Han was doing his best to prove his brother and sister-in-law not guilty.

 

“Happy New Year to you as well. I’ve been doing better actually. I think therapy has helped me a lot.” I replied with the same expression. “Thank you for recommending Chris to me.”

 

“It’s not a problem, although, I’m saddened by his sudden death.”

 

“It was unexpected.” I placed the remaining flowers in front of Saehee’s grandparent’s graves and bowed to each of them. Watching, I observed the way Jun Han looked at the tombstones. His expression was… empty, almost… missing.

 

“They would have liked you, Mark.” Placing a hand on my shoulder, he checked his watch on his other hand and turned around. “I have to go now. I’ve got an interview at 3pm. I’ll see you around Mark. It was nice talking to you again.”

 

Turning back, I waved at him and watched his shoes created shapes in the freshly fallen snow. A tree branch rustled for a bit while a crow flew past his face.



 

Kim Jun Han was one interesting man.

 

 


Short chapter htis time because I'll most likely do a double update either tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks for the support everyone! <3