Two

Ours

Jongin sighed, buckling Taeoh into his car seat while the toddler whined at the loss of comfort. Taeoh hadn’t gotten much sleep due to the neighbors deciding to throw a giant party until the crack of dawn. Jongin shuffled to his seat behind the wheel, sipping his home made coffee in hopes the caffeine would jump start his system. Looking in the back mirror, he smiled as he watched Taeoh’s head fall forward only to jolt back up and relax against the car leather.  Eyes back on the road, Jongin began driving towards the school. There weren’t many people outside given the time of day, but it was clear that an abundance of them were college students. Jongin pitied them, having to walk outside in such poor weather.

The sky was somber, giving off a dark aura, and looked as if at any moment ashes would burst through its confinements within the blink of an eye. Naturally it started pouring rain instantaneously.

With the help of his windshield wipers, Jongin luckily was able to stop in time just as the car in front of him did. Traffic seemed thick that morning. Jongin wasn’t worried at all because he still had a good forty five minutes remaining before he had to be at the college. Just as he was about to check on his son, Jongin caught the sight of a familiar figure. Still petite, the boy had himself huddled in a black rain coat that hung past his knees slightly. Jongin chuckled, finding the appearance to resemble that of a baby penguin. Jongin failed to notice his heart palpitate, or the breath that seemed to ripple back into his lungs, almost as if forced back and trapped like a wild animal. Jongin’s mind was reeling, reeking of havoc as each of his jumbled thoughts screamed for attention. Before he knew it, he was pulling off the road and parking at the curb of the sidewalk.

“Hey!” Jongin called out once he’d opened the window, almost startling Taeoh awake as he napped. “Do you need a ride?”

The boy looked around, seemingly confused, before pointing a hesitant finger at himself with his eyebrows adorably furrowed.  Jongin chortled, throwing his head back as the deep timber voice bubbled out. “M-me?” the other shivered as the wind picked up, blowing the rain droplets straight into his face. Jongin’s heart wrenched in his chest at the thought of the other having to walk in such conditions, noting the red nose that sniffled here and there.

“Of course,” Jongin smiled warmly, “It’s too crappy out here for someone to walk in. Come on, I’ll give you a lift.” He watched in anticipation as the boy averted his gaze, processing the offer.

“N-no thank you, sir,” he replied, stopping to sniffle once again. Jongin frowned, about to retort when he noticed the boy begin to open his mouth. “Y-you probably ha-have places to b-be. I wouldn’t want to i-intrude,” he added, just as the rain’s insistent pattering picked up speed.

“I have to go to work, but I have more than enough time to be there. Besides, the odds of you sick from being in this weather are pretty high,” he stated, enjoying the small conversation even though it was him convincing a stranger to take a ride with him and his child.  He wanted the other to accept, wanted to be close to the one he hasn’t gotten out of his head since the night before. Taeoh shifted with a barely audible whine as an absolutely freezing draft entered the warmth of the car through the window. “You can just tell me where to drop you off and it’ll be over with” he suggested, though he was reluctant.

The other took in the words as he folded his arms in attempt to remain warm, face reddening along with his nose. The boy nodded slowly, shuffling towards the car. He sat down in the passenger seat just as Jongin cranked up the heater, making him groan as his feet began to feel the heat. “Thank you so much,” he sighed, resting his head on the black leather. Jongin pulled back onto the road, heart beating uncontrollably fast. He had to force himself not to look at the new companion, eyes focused on the road. He cleared his throat as he reached one hand for the dashboard, pulling out a small package of tissues for the other to use. He inwardly applauded himself as he offered it to the doe eyed male. Being a parent, he found many convenient places to keep these things in case of emergency.

“How long were you walking in this?” he gaped, barely managing to see through the windshield.

“Um…thirty minutes?” the other responded, face contorting into a cute questioning expression. “It was a quarter past six when I left my apartment.” He shrugged as he rubbed his hands together. Jongin checked the time on the stereo, almost choking on his spit. The blue numbers read seven thirty two, meaning the other had been in the rain for a little over an hour. He gasped, glancing at the boy. He was met with the same brown eyes that he had seen yesterday, quickly looking away as a blush settled on his bronze skin. He felt the analytical gaze placed on him, boarder lining the feeling of satisfaction that the other was looking his way, and discomfort at the strong gaze. He slightly startled as he heard the gasp to his left. “I know you! You’re the guy that I bumped into yesterday, right?” he questioned expectantly, creating the heart shaped smile that Jongin had already become so fond of within the miniscule amount of encounters they’ve had.

“O-oh, yeah. I thought you had forgotten,” he nervously chuckled, grip on the steering wheel tightening in embarrassment.

“Nah, I usually remember people with faces like yours,” he shrugged nonchalantly.

“Faces like mine?”

“Yeah people who are han-“he started before a loud squeal interrupted his sentence, causing him to jump in his place.

Taeoh was awake, faster than Jongin had ever seen him, waving his hands in excitement. “It’s Soo hyung! Soo hyung, Soo hyung, Soo hyung!” Taeoh shouted in glee as he kicked his little feet against the said male’s seat. Jongin’s eyes widened, mouth agape at the revelation. He looked at the music teacher in astonishment. This tiny creature was his son’s music teacher? The admired college freshman Baekhyun had spoken so highly of?

“Oh! Taeoh-ah!” the teacher exclaimed, turning in his seat excitedly. Jongin saw it with that small action. The pure excitement evident in the younger’s smile, ever so genuine. Jongin was conflicted. Should he let a teacher get close to his son? Taeoh had talked about him as if he were Jongin, and even called him dad as mentioned at the ice cream shop. “How are you, little one?” he questioned as he pinched Taeoh’s cheek. Jongin saw the smile begin to falter as Taeoh pouted.

“I’m so sleepy, hyung! The neighbors were playing music and I couldn’t sleep!” the child complained, lower lip jutted out. Jongin looked at Kyungsoo and had the urge to pinch the college freshman’s face, which was adorned with his own little pout. “Even daddy didn’t sleep,” he muttered, looking at his teacher’s face.

“Awe, I’m sorry, buddy.” He began, before his expression broke out into a playful snarl. “Should I find them and tell them that they were being rude, love?” Jongin cringed, not sure how to take the language used.  Jongin glanced between the two, concern washing away when he saw how Taeoh smiled brightly, nodding brightly. “Okay, one day I will definitely say something!”

“Thank you, daddy!”

Jongin’s eyes widened, not believing what he heard. He didn’t think he’d ever have to hear that directed towards anyone besides him in person. He stared at Taeoh, noting how he said it without a second thought. He wanted to be mad, furious. Yet when he looked over to the younger, he was met with the thought of what that would be like. He envisioned, Kyungsoo, clad in an apron, Taeoh at his side ready to help. He’d wrap his arms around Kyungsoo’s waste, nuzzling into the petites shoulder as he greeted them. He pictured Taeoh excitedly explaining how his day has been, never forgetting to include his hand gestures.

Jongin shook the thoughts away, mentally reprimanding himself for imagining that of a stranger, and for such cheesy thoughts. He had accepted the chance of possibly being gay, but he needed a confirmation of sorts.

He watched as Kyungsoo blushed slightly, quickly finding out that he liked the sight; pretty flushed cheeks adorning the pale skin. Kyungsoo had a habit of blinking before replying, Jongin noticed. The warm, brown doe eyes were accompanied by long, beautiful eyelashes that fluttered in an angelic way by each movement of his eyelids. His eyes trailed along the skin, basking in the way the morning light seemed to make it glow, giving it the perfect balance, even with the black strands of hair that contrasted significantly with the fair complexion.  Jongin allowed himself to let his eyes roam from the silky, pink looking lips that he’d stared at longer than he should’ve been, down to the small frame hidden under the large coat. Even through the fabric Jongin could tell that the body was just as feminine as that of a teen girl. Most guys would see the weakness and scoff, but Jongin mentally pictured the soft curves of the younger’s body, maybe even barely defined muscles beneath the skin.

He felt the need to protect the younger, scared that the world would corrupt him in the most devious of ways.

He heard Kyungsoo’s breath hitch, snapping him out of his own thoughts, vision focusing back to reality. Kyungsoo stared at Jongin, face crimson before Jongin felt something warm in his palm. He looked down, only to be surprised to find that he had threaded his fingers through Kyungsoo’s unconsciously, grip tight and hand much bigger than the one in his. With an awkward cough and an apology, Jongin let go, turning back to Taeoh who had a curious, confused expression. “What’s wrong, daddy?” he questioned, voice laced with innocence.

“Nothing, everything is fine, Taeoh-ah,” Kyungsoo replied before Jongin could. He nodded dumbly as he realized he had driven them to the college, without knowing whether or not the other needed to be there. Kyungsoo had a look of uncertainty as he stared at Jongin. “Wow, how’d you know I needed to be here?” he chuckled nervously.

“I…I don’t really know,” Jongin almost whispered, still embarrassed. They all sat there quietly as Taeoh stared back and forth between the two adults. Just then, an idea sprouted in his mind.

“Daddy, is Soo hyung my daddy, too?” he asked cutely, smiling even as his father stared at him as if he had said the most inappropriate saying possible.

“T-Taeoh…Where did…what…what?” Jongin stuttered out, dignity out the window.

“I want Soo hyung to be my daddy, too! Please, daddy?!” Taeoh exclaimed confidently, giggling and kicking in his seat as he looked imploringly at his dad. Jongin was at a loss of words, dumbfounded at what his son was saying. He was flustered by the thought, and the fact that Kyungsoo was there made it all the worse. He opened his mouth a few times, only to close it just as soon. Kyungsoo looked between them, crimson face resembling the color of the building’s preschool center. Kyungsoo cleared his throat, smiling gently at the toddler.

“Taeoh-ah, I’m sorry but I’m not your daddy. Your daddy is right here,” Kyungsoo muttered quietly. Taeoh’s smile dropped, and Jongin feared what was going to happen. The car was far too silent for a good minute or two, before Taeoh whined, and begun sobbing loudly in his chair. His head was thrown back, but they could clearly see how red his face was as tears streamed down, dripping onto the color of his pororo shirt. Jongin was about to run to Taeoh’s aid, but Kyungsoo was already in the back seat in seconds, unbuckling Taeoh and pulling him into his embrace. Taeoh’s sobs only increased as he gripped onto the shirt and practically screamed. “Taeoh, please calm down,” Kyungsoo shakily began, rubbing Taeoh’s back.

Taeoh continued to sob for a few minutes before quieting down until only soft hiccups were heard. Jongin felt so useless, watching as the two cuddled like they both depended on it. Taeoh sat up hesitantly, staring into Kyungsoo’s eyes as tears still fell, but much slower. “W-why, can’t S-Soo hyung be m-my daddy, t-too,” he hiccupped brokenly. Kyungsoo looked on the edge of tears himself as he caressed the younger’s face, wiping his tears. The two had almost completely forgotten Jongin was there, encased in their own proximity.

“Taeoh-ah…your daddy and I aren’t together like daddies and mommies should be. We don’t know each other,” he stated sadly, Jongin’s heart rate stopping for a second before beating faster than he thinks it ever has before.

“B-but why n-not?” Taeoh whined as he sniffled, nuzzling into Kyungsoo’s neck as the older began rubbing his head lovingly. Kyungsoo didn’t answer, instead choosing to comfort the four year old. Taeoh was almost breathing regular again in a matter of minutes, allowing himself to be comforted.  After what seemed like years of silence, Taeoh whispered something that made both of the adult’s hearts break. “Doesn’t Soo hyung love me?”

Jongin and Kyungsoo made eye contact, as if communicating. Jongin’s conveyed anxiety, fear, and unsureness, while Kyungsoo’s were confident, but nervous. Jongin prepared for the toddler to cry out at Kyungsoo’s words, but the sobs never let the toddler’s mouth. Kyungsoo stared into Jongin’s eyes as he spoke with confidence.

“Of course I do.”