Expecting

Vorfreude
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EXPECTING.

 

 

        The mirror had that patina of age over the bronze frame, likewise the surface of the glass was splotched black in places. Jungkook stood and stared at himself, or at least the distorted image of himself. The mirror showed him the boy the world saw, all he saw, somehow it didn't seem right. Inside he was fireworks and rage, love and frustrations, ambition and fear, but sadly he couldn't recognize those feeling. He ran a finger over the frame, feeling its cool ridges and grooves and the layer of dust that clung.

        “What's wrong with me? I feel like this isn't me.”

        He recall how he was desperate to win against Taehyung and Jiyeon till his mind told him to play dirty. He does not know what was wrong with him, only to find his eyes could not get away from both of them. When laugh of happy appeared from them, he felt his blood boiling up. From that point, he promise himself to be the winner, and so he really did even though his partner already give up her knees on the first game. How's cruel of him.

        Jungkook let out a heavy sigh before made his way into his room. He pushed his door open against the tide of objects that littered the floor on the other side. He couldn't see even a square centimeter of his bedroom carpet. He picked his way across the room on tiptoe, trying not to stand on any of his coursework. The important school work was of course mixed up with several pairs of underpants, sweaty t-shirts, a pair of jeans and several library books.

        “Tsk! My bedroom is a mess without maid,”

        When he reached his bed, Jungkook turn on his macbook, deciding to do his homework.

        “Ige mwoya,” He frowned to ad which suddenly appeared with titled ‘Am I in love?’

        His brain was saying it was nonsense but he found himself click that ad. In the front page, there is a foreword 'When you've been crushing on someone for a while, sometimes it's hard to know if the butterflies you get every time they're nearby means you really like or ~love~ them, or if it's just because you've built them up so much in your head. Take this quiz to help you tell if what you're feeling is just infatuation, or if it's the real deal'.

        Jungkook cleared his throat.“Okay, this doesn't mean I had crush or in love with her. I just want to give a try.” He conveyed himself.

        It was almost ten minutes, Jungkook was busy selecting the answer of each questions. Sometimes, he hissed and laughed toward the question which he thought ridiculous, yet suddenly when he got the result stated 'Your Feelings for Your Crush are the Real Deal', he dropped his macbook. Fortunately, the poor thing aren't crushed, still on. Not sure for the body though.

        He laughed, in denial.”It can't be!” He jump off the bed and kick everything in his way, freaking out. “Impossible, impossible, impossible!” Jungkook shouted like his throat was about to sore.

        “Alright, stop. Why am I doing this? it's just quiz, not even relevant one.” Finally after minutes later, Jungkook back to his sense.

        Then, he lift up the macbook into his lap again, only find another weird thing about 'being in love or not'. This time, the display shows '12 signs you’re falling in love'. He seriously wonder what he had done in his previous life to get punishment from God like this?

        Well, out of curiosity, he start to read it anyway.

12. You can't stay mad at her for more than a second.  Wrong, it's around minutes.

11. You will walk really really slow when you're with her. Well, I don't remember did this on purpose.

10. Whenever she looks at you, your heart will beat really fast.  I wanna laugh when she looks annoyed at me instead.

9. By listening to her voice, your legs will get weak. Nope.

8. While talking to her, you won't see anyone else around you. Come on, this is common to just see, eye on eye, the partner of conversation.

7. You'll start listening to slow songs. I even don't have one in my phone. All is hiphop, pop, and rock.

6. You won't care what anybody else think about her. I don't care to anyone, including her.

5. She becomes all you think about. Why would I think about ahjumma who would soon get wrinkle?

4. You're always smiling to yourself thinking about her. I got irritated instead.

3. You'll do anything for her. Nope.

2. She appears in your deam. Not at all.

 

        He keep scrolling to find the number one.

 

1. While reading this, you've been thinking about a certain girl the whole time. OH.. !!!

 

        HOLY!!

 

        Jungkook stood up abruptly.“I can't take it anymore. I would prove myself right now that I'm really not into her!” Everything from the way he held himself, to the way he spoke, to that look of unassailable confidence in his eye said he could do it.

        He turns around and intend to grab his jacket, yet the clock seized his attention. It shows 11 pm. Is it okay if he suddenly pop up in this hours? what would Jiyeon's mom think? Jungkook tilted his head as thinking about it.

        “I think I have to make sure if she hasn't slept.” He mumbled while taking out his phone.

        Tapping his foot to wait the call being picked up in other side, impatient Jungkook is already in his limit. So, he decided to dial another number.

        “Yoboseyo?” No need to wait any longer, this time the familiar voice picked up.

        “Eo-eomoni.” Jungkook is still not used to call Sung ryung by it names.”It's me, Jungkook. I tried to call Jiyeon a while ago but it didn't reach her. Is she already sleep?”

        “Oh, I'm sorry Jungkook. She had been out since an hour ago while bringing the cake made by her own hands and told me she would go to new friend's house. Do you want to leave a message? I'll tell her once she got home.”

        “Ah...” He nodded.”It's not something important so I'll call her again later. Sorry for bothering you eomoni.”

        “Alright then, good night Jungkook!” Without waiting for his reply, she hung up. Guess, she must be in the way to her bedroom.

        Anxious. It's the feeling of the tightening in his chest. It's the way that when he opens his lips, no sound can make it past, or the way it robs him of his senses and replaces it with something that makes his muscles contract and eyes widen in dread. It's the fear that he feel when there's a movement in the corner of his eye, or he don't know where she is, where she is, where is she? It's the desperation in a scream and panic in his eyes and the fear─the pure, unadulterated terror.

        Then, suddenly a name hits his mind. Kim Taehyung.

        He pressed the number, of course it's literally not Taehyung but someone related to him.

        “Jungkook?” Someone answered the call but he could barely hear it because of the crowd sound in the background.

        “Yoongi hyung, where are you?”

        “Me? At hidden street of Mapo. Why did you ask?”

        “I'm searching for my friend. She said she went to new friend house and I'm curious the person she pointed out was Taehyung or not. I mean... is there a girl who visit Taehyung's house tonight.” Jungkook felt hard to explain.

        There is a long pause before Yoongi replied.”I'm not sure the girl you meant is the same girl who is in the middle of the race with Taehyung.”

        “What?!” Jungkook taken aback upon hearing that. With furious eyes, he rushed to take his jacket and ignoring Yoongi who called his name several time.

        As he reached the place Yoongi told him, He scanned around. A speech boomed over the crowd, strident timbre of the voice, cacophony of applause and cheering, whooping, hollering, clapping, stamping of feet, palpable excitement buzzed through the charged air, infectious grins, strangers shaking hands, patting one another on the back, spontaneous outpouring of emotion. He knows right away the race has ended when he saw friends of Taehyung lift him up.

        Not interesting to see the celebration, Jungkook drag his feet to another side in order to find Jiyeon.

        To his surprise, He saw Jiyeon was in fistfight with bunch of men. They struggled against her, trying to attack her legs, hands, and face but their movements were far too slow comparing to hers. Hands moving from one of men's waist, Jiyeon seized his arms, trapping him to his side. She pushed him roughly further into the alley, the agile gesture causing that man to stumble almost falling flat on his face. In no time, they're all laying on the cold street while groaning in pain.

        In other side, Jungkook was stuck in awe, couldn't even blink his eyes.

        “So if you want another round I'll wait in the shadows, fists lowered. But should I see you know that I trained with a master and my fists are faster than yours. I know how you think, you're thinking of bringing a gun. I'm a sharp shooter too. I hit the target every single time. So come and have a go if you think you're hard enough, otherwise, you know what you can do with yourself.” Jungkook was shivering to see Jiyeon's smirk toward them.

        When he was about to approach Jiyeon, Yoongi appeared from nowhere.“I knew it. I knew it was you!”

        Jiyeon rolls her eyes,”So what if it was me?” She said. “Don't tell me thing like it's the first time you was being treated badly by girl like this so you have to make me yours.”

        Jungkook covered his mouth, holding his laugh to see the hyung was speechless (even though he don't have any idea what they're talking about). See, another man confess to Jiyeon but he didn't feel jealous, or he thought so.

        Right after that, Taehyung appeared to interrupt.“What's this?”

        Jiyeon and hyung, both of them was caught off guard seeing him behind them.“Eoh, Tae-Taehyung-ah,” Hyung was stuttering.

        “They're picking a fight on me because I ruin their plan but in the nick of time, Yoongi-ssi come and save me.” Jiyeon explained but Jungkook just could rolled his eyes to hear the lies.

        Taehyung looks at Hyung for agreement,”Is it right?”

        “Y-yes,”

        “But...”

        “Yoongi hyung!” Before Taehyung could ask for more explanation, sweating Jimin cut him off,”I've been searching for you, gosh! you have to take the prize because it registered by your name!” He dragged hyung to come with him without minding the expression of refusal Yoongi made.

        Jimin stopped for a moment as was about to pass Taehyung,“Nice victory, Taehyung-ah. Let's celebrate it at home as usual, okay?” He beamed while patting his shoulder.

        “I'll be at home after send Jiyeon first.”

        “Alright. I'm off then,”

        Right there, Jungkook couldn't get the conversation anymore since his eyes just fix on their exchanging expression.

        The nausea swirled unrestrained in his empty stomach. His head swam with half-formed anger. His heart felt as if his blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat. His melancholy mood hung over him like a black cloud, raining his personal sorrow down on him wherever he went. Even the colours of the beautiful night were drab to him now and the owl-song like so much noise on a child's glockenspiel, grating his nerves.

        Now, Jungkook knows why he felt nothing toward Yoongi before. It is because there is no spark in Jiyeon's eyes like she gave to Taehyung.

        Doesn't care if he would look stupid or not, he gave up his pride by get out his hideout and calling her name.“Park Jiyeon!”

        Both of them startled due to sudden voice, but Jiyeon was the first to realize.“Jungkook! how can you be here?!” Jiyeon approach him, half running.

        “Let's go home,” He pulled Jiyeon by hand without replying her question.

        Jiyeon bewildered,”Eh? but Taehyung ...”

        “It's okay, go home with him.” Jungkook satisfied with Taehyung's words.

        But it turn out pretty bad when Jiyeon says. “Alright. See you around, then. Thanks for tonight! I really have a blast with you.” It make Jungkook wanted to show her what a real blast is.

        Meanwhile, Jiyeon doesn't realize that something's missing from her pocket.

.

.

.

        They are walking side by side in silence. Jiyeon is quite tired after taking care of idiot gang while Jungkook is busy to arrange the question he would throw at her first. Still act to look impressive, he looks around to make his undescribed nervous cool down. The sidewalk looked as though an elephant it stiletto's had tottered down it causing great cobwebs of cracks. Weeds flourished in the broad cracks, bringing splashes of unwelcome green to the city grey.

        “I saw you kicked their ,” Jungkook throws his glance as uttering those words. It sounds like statement rather than question but he is sure Jiyeon knew that he wanted an answer.

        “Oh. I've learnt some martial arts. Amazing, right?” Jiyeon looked lost for a moment, didn't expect Jungkook would see a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter