Beginning

Vorfreude
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BEGINNING.

 

 

        There were plasma screens of arrival and departure times on the wall of the airport. People were lined up at the check in desk with suitcases and baggage. There was a sculpture of a whale with water cascading from it's mouth and flowing down it's tail flukes. In the background soft classical music played. In the arrivals lounge there was a curious mixture of bored and excited people. Some looked like they were waiting for a bus, others like they were children waiting for Santa himself. Some lounged on the low comfy chairs and others bounced on their toes.

        In the crowd, there is a woman who leaning he back against a pillar. Her carriage was that of a queen or a goddess; her eyes, which cast the brilliancy of emeralds, were perfectly beautiful, and yet were at the same time full of sweetness and majesty. was small and rosy; and although her underlip, like that of all princes of the House of Korea, protruded slightly beyond the other, it was eminently lovely in its smile, but as profoundly disdainful in its contempt.

 

        Time flowed like cement. She checked her cell for the time. A minute had passed since she last checked an hour ago, or so it seemed. Standing there with nothing to stare at but a wall with chipped cream paint was excruciatingly dull and there was no telling when she would be called. It was so pointless too. Go in, get your heart rate and blood pressure taken and go out. She began to drift into an unpleasant daydream or was it a paranoid fantasy? So hard to tell and she didn't care. It helped to pass the time and she wasn't one for entertaining herself with optimism. Anyone who picked her up, better to be prepared.

        “Are you Park Jiyeon?”

        Hearing someone called her name, Jiyeon was observing a pair of shoes which stopped in front of her. Then, lift it up slowly to his tore denim. Those denim blue legs were two-a-penny downtown, like some uniform for those who couldn't wait to get out of the prescribed polyester blazers of the local comprehensive school. So to be honest, it couldn't have been the faded jeans, worn thin at the knees with tell-tale dark oil stains that made him stand out. Perhaps it was more in the way he moved, something about his self confidence. She comes to his white shirt wrapped in a blue jacket before meet his gaze. His eyes were the colour of hot cocoa, sprinkled with tiny flecks of gold like mini marshmallows.

        “Yes, I am,” Jiyeon answered.

        “Let's go.” He turned around and started to walked away while Jiyeon just frowned, what he meant? who is he? that questions blown in her mind.

        Knowing she didn't follow him, he sighed. He's back toward Jiyeon and took her luggage, thinking that Jiyeon wanted his help for bringing it. However, Jiyeon thought something else, he must be a bad guy like thief or cheater.

        “Bring it back!” Jiyeon run after him and snatch away her luggage, yet thay guy did not hand off it and frowned instead.

        “Help! this guy is going to steal my stuffs!” Jiyeon yelled, gathering attention around there. Some of them, mostly woman stepped back while man along with the guard were rush to catch him. The airport turned into chaos.

        “No! I just picked her up,” The guy defend himself.

        A guard who hold his hands was looking at the young woman, waiting her answer.”He lied! my driver is the one who would pick me up!”

        “But it's truth!” The guard kept dragging him, didn't want to hear anything before they reached the office and interrogate him in there.

        “Can you come with us for a moment too, miss?” Another guard held out his hand, indicating to follow them.

        “Sure,” Jiyeon replied.

 

 

        Jiyeon looked around, the office was painted grey, and it had only one floor-to-ceiling window, which faced the main road. On the grey desk sat a desktop computer, a notebook lying open, and a stack of papers sitting under a turtle-shaped paperweight. In a corner, the air conditioner was blasting at medium, and there was a swivel chair in the middle of the office. A bookshelf, bursting with books was in a corner, with yet another stack of papers under a paperweight that was shaped to look like a tuft of grass. A few pens were lying on the papers, but some had fallen onto the top of the bookshelf.

        “Can you tell us what's happening, miss?” Asked the officer to Jiyeon, making her snap out from her thought.

        “When I was waiting for my driver, this guy suddenly came, said 'let's go' to me, and then took my luggage.” Jiyeon explained.

        The officer turned to the guy who is sitting beside Jiyeon while crossing his arms.”You wanna say something young man?”

        The guy rolled his eyes,”I just wanna pick her up because my father asked for it.”

        “Excuse me? stop joking around and admit your mistake. My mother would inform it first.” Jiyeon narrowed her eyes.

        Suddenly, right after Jiyeon finished her words, her phone rang. She took it and find her mother's name written on it. Nice timing.

        “Jiyeon where are you?” her mother asked, seems worried.

        “I'm still at the airport, mom. Where is my driver?” Jiyeon whined.

        “Huh? didn't Jungkook pick you up? The car was broken on the way so I asked my friend to send someone and he said it’s his son.”

        Jiyeon was stunned. She took a glance behind.”Err, can I know your name?”

        “Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook.” He answered shortly.

        Jiyeon shut her eyes and mouth. So, everything he said was not nonsense or lies. She pressed her end button, hanging off the phone. Jiyeon smiled awkwardly. Instead of his soft gaze that promised laughter and easy banter, his eyes glared with an intensity that tightened Jiyeon's chest.

        Jiyeon was stuttering,”Uh ...sir. I think I've misunderstood him. Just now, my mom said.”

        Jungkook cuts her off,”See ...I told you!”

        Anger boiled deep in his system, as hot as lava. It churned within, hungry for destruction, and he knew it's too much for him to handle. The pressure of this raging sea of anger would force him to say things he does not mean, or to express thoughts he's suppressed for weeks.

        He knew he has to get out everyone's way before he erupted in his furious state. He knew that this feeling will pass, but while it hasn't, he's well aware he could really hurt people. So he escape. He walked out the office.

        Jiyeon bites her bottom lip, feeling guilty.”I'm sorry for causing a trouble, sir.” She bowed and left the room after the officer nodded, giving a sign that it was okay.

 

 

        Jiyeon walked over the damp heath like she was wading through treacle. She heaved her legs against the gale, against the pressure building on her chest and hitting her face like it intended to go right through. With eyes squinted to let in only enough light in to navigate, she never slackened her pace. Each step took her closer to Jungkook who already took his helmet.

        “Wait, wait!” Jiyeon spread her arms in front of his motorcycle.

        “What do you want?” He said monotonously.

        “I'm sorry,” Jiyeon muttered, yet Jungkook still can hear it.

        Jungkook tsked,”Forget it. Now, Just stop the taxi and go home.”

        Jiyeon pressed her lips together.”Pardon?”

        “I'm not gonna do it now.” He exclaimed.

        All of sudden, Jiyeon sobbed into her hands and the tears dripped between her fingers. Her breathing was ragged, gasping and the strength left her legs. She sank to her knees not caring about the the grit that dug into her knees. She was noisy, her skin was blotched but there was no-one there to witness it let alone come to comfort her. They're just pity her.

        “Do you know how many hours I spent at this airport just for waiting someone to pick me up?! I'm hungry, my feets are hurt, and my head start to feel jet lag. I know it's my fault because I forgot to bring my wallet! You know, I would go home immediately rather than waiting. I hate waiting!” Jiyeon was whining in between tears.

        Jungkook was taken aback. He scanned around and find everyone was staring. Aish, this girl!

        He approached her and grab her by hand, making her stand up.”Okay, I'll drop you off, so stop crying. And are you a kid? you still can pay the taxi driver when you reached home, pabo.”

        Jiyeon was dumbfounded. He was right. Lowering her head is the best way to hiding her blush of embarrassment.”Maybe because I'm not used to it.” She is too stubborn to admit it.

        Jungkook rolls his eyes.”Whatever, let's just go home before the guard thought I'm gonna you or something.”

        “Oh! but my luggage still in the office,” She said.

        Jungkook sighed.”Just tell your driver to take it. Besides, I went here by a motorcycle, not a car.”

        “O-okay.” Jiyeon decided to stop arguing and being obedient when Jungkook gave her a helmet.

        Jiyeon's hair whipped back as he let his feet off the clutch of his bike. They were flying down the street at a speed that could rival a cheetah. Jiyeon gasped, she was almost fell off and could not breathe. She tightened her grip around Jungkook's, stopping his jacket that was blowing like flags in the wind and the clouds race by fast - like cars on the highway. She's waiting Jungkook to say hands off him but it does not happen, so Jiyeon assumed he was okay with it. Now, can she let out her sigh in relief?

 

 

        “WHAT?! Arranged married?!”

        Her glare something out of Jiyeon. The middle age woman visibly wilted before her first clipped word was uttered. For such a feeble woman, girlish in dimensions and stature, her mannerisms brought the temperature down in the room, always dusting some invisible fragment from her blazer. She never looked at any of the rest of the waitress who served the food, just her mom, never blinking. Then, she'd pull up a tall stool and sit, her eyes never leaving her face. The other waitress would attempt a "rescue" from time to time, but their voices died faster than ants in acid.

        Right, after she rested for hours, her mom ask her to eat at the restaurant. And here they are, in one of VIP room.

        “You asked me to come here just to tell this nonsense?” Jiyeon roared.

        “This is your father last will.” Her mother said while pulled the chair in the opposite Jiyeon and sat on it.

        Jiyeon doesn't have bad relationship with her mom, or hate her. Well, what she's suppose to do when she's just a victim of divorce.

        Her mother and father. Their marriage had been inevitable even though her mom's parents was against it. From the time they were teens, they were inseparable. Each was the centre of the universe for the other. They were so relaxed in each other's company, so caring. Their love for one another radiated from them, touching the lives of everyone they knew. Over the years they remained devoted to one other. Through sicknesses and family tragedy's they supported one another. In the rough times neither strayed.

        However, it didn't stayed forever. They decided to divorce when Jiyeon was at twelve. They knew they're in the different level. Her mother came from rich family while her father was just Canadian man who jobless. They decided to give up, thinking their relationship were not working out. Her mom went back to her family while her dad along with Jiyeon flight to her father's town, Toronto. Sadly, a year ago her dad passed away due to .

        They're still keep in touch. Sometimes, Jiyeon would visit her mom, or she was the one who do it. She always sees both of them joking around and laughed together. Jiyeon just didn't get it, the reason behind the gave up. Why they gave up if they're still love each other? Confusing.

        So, what had happened makes Jiyeon does not want to feel a love or being loved, and her father had urge to ask Jiyeon's mother to find a man for her.

        “I won't believe it!” Jiyeon insisted it.

        Her mom take out a piece of paper from her handbag,”I guess, this will prove it.”

 

 

Dear my Jiyeon,

How's your life? I hope everything's okay for you.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter