Two

Love Tomorrow

          “Why did you drag me here? It’s your childhood friend, not mine,” Gabby whined. They were sitting in a booth by a window in a humongous café. It was packed because it was fall and yes, they were selling pumpkin related food and beverages.

          “I don’t know, I’m just nervous,” Layla said. She was shaking so much, partially from the cold and partially from the nerves. Her knees kept bumping into the bottom-side of the table. “Don’t worry. You can leave after Chen and I get comfortable with each other. We haven’t seen each other in such a long time and I don’t want it to be awkward.”

          “Well that’s good, because I’m going on a date with Sehun later,” responded Gabby.

           Layla rolled her eyes, “I still have no idea how you guys are together. I was there when he ‘confessed’. All he said was the ‘the book works’. What does that even mean?" 

          “You don’t have to know,” Gabby smirked as she looked down at her drink. “So, why are you so nervous to see him. He’s just your friend.”

          “I’m nervous because of what we last did before he moved away, “Layla said.

          “Ooo, I feel a story coming up,” said Gabby.

          “I’m not gonna tell you. It’s embarrassing, “Layla said, “and ‘you don’t have to know.’” . Layla used my own words against me.

          “Please,” Gabby begged, “I’ll tell you what ‘the book works’ means. Just tell me what happened between you and Chen. I’m dying to know.” Layla sighed. She supposed that she could tell her.

          “Okay, it was winter of my third grade year…”

          It was a very windy day. Layla and Chen were spending their last day together.

          “You guys be good,” said Layla’s mother, “the adults are going to be in the other room, okay?”

          “Okay,” both Layla and Chen responded.

          “I’m going to put on Sleeping Beauty for you. Chen is that okay?” Layla’s mom asked, “I know that it’s a girly movie but that’s all that we have. Unless you want to watch Snow White or some other Disney princess?”

          “No, Sleeping Beauty is okay. It’s Layla’s favorite,” Chen responded. Layla’s mother put the movie on and smiled faintly. With that she left the room. Leaving the two children alone. That’s when Chen heard it. And felt it. Layla’s sniffles, almost too quiet to catch. And her hand, wrapped around his thumb. Chen liked Layla, a lot. She was his best friend, after all. They did everything together in this city. And Chen didn’t want to leave it, but he knew that his father’s job was important. That’s how they received income. That was how his family was able to live in the house next door for so many years. Chen was slumped on the couch, looking at the televison, not watching.

           Layla tried not to bring attention to herself. She rubbed her tears away with her free hand. She tried to quiet her sobs but how could she? Her best friend was moving away. She begged Chen to take her with him the day he told her. She knew it was useless. All of her emotions were suddenly coming out and she hated it. She hated looking weak in front of Chen.

          They both sat there in silence. Both wanting to say what was on their minds. Both being too afraid.

          “This is my favorite part,” Layla said pointing to the screen. It was the scene where Prince Philip kisses Aurora, waking her from her slumber. “It’s my favorite part because after they kiss they live happily ever. They get to be together forever.” Chen leaned over and kissed Layla gently. Layla, caught off guard, pushed Chen away, “Why did you do that!?”

          “You said that that they get to be together forever after they kissed. I wanted to try it out,” Chen said. He held both of Layla’s hands. “You’re my best friend. I never, ever want to be separated from you. I want us to be friends until we die.” His voice started to crack, “I love you, Layla. You’re my best friend in the entire whole.”

          “I love you, too. I don’t want you to move away. How am I supposed to live? I feel like my heart is getting ripped out,” Layla cried. “D-Do you think that we can try that thing again?”

          “Kissing?”        

          “Yeah, it’s worth a shot,” Layla said. Chen leaned in and kissed Layla once more.

          “We’re gonna have a happy ending just like sleeping beauty and the prince. I’ll come back,” said Chen. He knew his words were true.

          “What the ?” Gabby said, “All this happened when you were in the third grade? ” Layla nodded and laughed at her friend. Then she heard a tap on the window beside her. It was a very handsome man who was waving. Layla waved back because she knew exactly who it was.


(A/N) I liked writing this one and I hope you guys enjoy it, too.