Three

Love Tomorrow

           As someone who felt that she’d forever be single it certainly surprised Nicole when Baekhyun confessed to her in the middle of class. It was sudden, random even.  Nicole had no idea how to respond to this boy, sitting beside her, confessing his love. Her classmates cheered her on, hoping that she would respond with a ‘yes, I’ll be your girlfriend’ or something along the lines of ‘I like you, too’. But none of her classmates knew what Nicole had been going through the past few weeks.  

           She confessed to Sehun, who clearly rejected her. She knew that he liked her best friend but she thought it was worth a try. This didn’t hurt her. What really hurt her was seeing Sehun confess to Gabby, them being lovey-dovey around each other, and ultimately— Sehun acting as if she didn’t confess.  As if she never had feelings for him. As if she wasn’t hurt.

           So when Nicole saw a pleading — almost pitiful — Baekhyun and her classmates cheering her on, the words, “Yes, I’ll date you,” just slipped out of .

           Baekhyun was surprised and ecstatic. This girl, who Baekhyun had been crushing on for the past two years, had agreed to date him. Baekhyun never liked anyone until he met Nicole.  Since Baekhyun transferred to New Heights High School nothing had been the same.

           “, how am I supposed to get through today?” whispered Baekhyun. It was his first day at a new school and he hated it. He had a stupid schedule glued to his face because he didn’t know where to go. He looked like a freshman.

            “Riiiiiing”

           “Well, there goes first period,” Baekhyun said. Not that he really cared. Kids started to flood the hallways and Baekhyun was starting to get pushed around. “.” He felt like a ragdoll. He hated feeling weak and that’s exactly what his first day was making him feel. Then suddenly he felt a hand grab his arm as he was pulled to a wall of lockers.

           “Hey,” she said — it was Nicole but Baekhyun hadn’t known that yet — “I saw that you were having some trouble. Are you new here?”

           “Y-Yeah,” Baekhyun stuttered. The girl in front of him was beautiful. She had long, brown hair and beautiful green eyes. Baekhyun’s heart started to beat at an abnormal pace.

           “Do you need help getting to your next class?” she asked Baekhyun.

           “Yeah, I kind-of skipped first period,” Baekhyun responded.

           “Let me see your schedule,” said Nicole as she took Baekhyun’s schedule out of his hands. “Oh, you had Mr. Hart for first. Don’t worry, he’s old and doesn’t really give a .”

           “Me neither. I figured the worst thing I’d get was detention,” Baekhyun retorted.

           “Nah, he wouldn’t even say anything,” said Nicole, “So, let’s get going.” Nicole weaved her way through the labyrinth of people like it was her talent. She elbowed people and pushed some of the freshman (who were just as lost as Baekhyun) out of her way. Baekhyun was getting left behind. When Nicole noticed that Baekhyun wasn’t behind her anymore she pushed through more people to make her way back. “It’s a small school with a lot of people your gonna have to get used to this,” said Nicole almost breathless. “Here,” she held her hand out, “hold my hand. I don’t want you to get lost.” Baekhyun hesitantly took a hold of Nicole’s hand. Nicole started to push her way through the students who wanted to quickly make their way to class. Baekhyun felt his face start to redden.

           “Why am I blushing?” Baekhyun whispered to himself.

           “What was that?” asked Nicole.

           “Nothing.”

           “Well that’s good, cause we’re at your classroom already,” Nicole said.

           “What was your name, again?” questioned Baekhyun.

           “It’s Nicole,” she responded looking to the ground. Baekhyun then noticed that Nicole started to blush. Was she blushing for him? Nicole looked back up and started to waved at someone behind Baekhyun.


 

           Today was Saturday. Exactly one day after Nicole agreed to date Baekhyun. They were supposed to meet at a café but Nicole really didn’t want to go. Why did she say yes? Was it out of pity?

           “Ugh,” Nicole moaned as she laid facedown on her bed. There was no possible way of contacting Baekhyun. She didn’t even have his number. They were just seatmates in physics and that was it. She had to go because she didn’t want to seem like a bad person. But what should she say when she meets him? ‘I made a mistake when I said that I would be your girlfriend’? No, that would be too harsh and it was completely against Nicole’s kind nature. Nicole threw her sheets off and decided that she would go to the café and she would tell Baekhyun the truth.


 

           It was 1:26 when Nicole stepped out of her car. She sighed. It was so windy and Nicole regretted not staying in bed. She could’ve been enveloped in warmth but no. She just had to be nice.

           Nicole made her way across the street, toward the café. She opened the door and walked in. If Baekhyun didn’t come at exactly 1:30, like he said, she was leaving. She wasn’t going to be waiting for someone she didn’t even want to meet.

           “Nicole!” a voice called.

            It was Baekhyun.

           He was waving both of his hands, trying to signal Nicole. He was in a booth in the far left of the huge café.

           “Hi,” she said as she finally sat down. She hated wearing heels and she had no idea why she wore them today. Sitting down was something she took for granted.

           ‘’Hi,” Baekhyun breathed, “I got you this.” He passed a coffee to Nicole. ”It’s French vanilla. I didn’t know if you would like it.”

           “No, no,” responded Nicole, “It’s actually my favorite.” For some reason Nicole found herself blushing. The two of them made small talk for some time. Joking about some things, too. He’s actually not that bad. He’s funny and charming and very handsome. And he dressed up really nice today. I think if I stay with him I might actually get over S

           “Sehun’s calling. I’m late for our date. It was nice to meet you, Chen. Bye Layla.” Gabby was about to walked past Baekhyun and Nicole’s table when she suddenly stopped.  “Hi, Nicole. I can’t talk right now cause Sehun’s calling me but I’ll talk to you later, ok?” Gabby walked out of the café and left Nicole with a blank expression.

           “Hey, Nicole,” Baekhyun said, “Are you okay?” No, she wasn’t okay. She’s never okay when it’s something that involves Gabby and Sehun. Nicole liked Sehun for such a long time. Gabby was one of her best friends but she couldn’t help but feel jealous towards her relationship with Sehun. She wanted to be in Gabby’s position. She wanted Sehun’s kisses. Sehun’s love.

           Nicole had to tell Baekhyun the truth.

           “Baekhyun.”

           “Yeah?”

           “About your confession yesterday,” Nicole started, “I wasn’t going to say yes. I don’t like you in that way.”

           “I know.”

           “You knew? How? I didn’t tell anyone,” said Nicole.

           “I knew from the first day I met you that you liked Sehun,” Baekhyun said. How the hell did he know all this? “The way you look at him is the way I look at you. How would I not know? Yesterday’s confession wasn’t something that I planned. It’s just… You looking at Sehun so lovingly during class and it irritated me.”

           “I like you!”

           Now that Nicole thought of it, Baekhyun’s voice did come out a little aggressive. “I wanted you to pay attention to me. Not to that jerk who rejected you.”

           “You saw that?”

           “I just happened to be there.” Baekhyun responded. Baekhyun wished that he didn’t go to the park that night. He wouldn’t have seen Nicole’s confession, which broke his heart. He knew that Nicole liked Sehun but he never wanted to hear her say it out loud. If only he didn’t go that night. Then, he wouldn’t have had to bottle up his hatred for one of his friends. “But about yesterday, I didn’t expect you to say yes.”

           “I don’t know why I said yes either. But I’m sorry, Baekhyun,” Nicole said, ”I have to go.” Nicole stood up from the booth and was about to leave when Baekhyun grabbed her wrist.

           “Don’t go,” he whispered.

           “Baekhyun…”

           “Don’t go,” he repeated and he pulled Nicole into a kiss. Nicole’s eyes widened as she felt Baekhyun’s lips on hers. He pulled back and said, “I like you, Nicole.” He pulled her into another kiss. This time, Nicole’s eyes slowly closed shut. Their mouths moved gently against each other. When Baekhyun started to deepen the kiss, Nicole pulled away. “I’m sorry. Did I do something wrong?”

            “No,” Nicole laughed, “you didn’t so anything wrong. I just wanted to say that I think I’m starting to like you, too.”


(A/N) I really enjoyed writing this especially because it was for my waifu, Nicole. (Also because Baekhyun is my second after Kyungsoo) Nicole is the bestest even though she's really annoying sometimes.