/02

Superficial
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I contemplate pressing the end call button but I stoped myself before I did anything remotely stupid enough which could land me in a bigger mess. 

 

"I take it that you've got my little present, sweetie?" I cringed at the term of endearment that just rolled off his tongue. "Give me more time. You know my situation right now." I got straight to the point, not wanting to make small talks with the person on the other line. "Why, sweetie? Having trouble again? You know the easiest way we could settle this right? Come back to me, babe." His words were dripping with so much tenderness that I had to cover my mouth to prevent myself from gagging. "Forget it, Myungsoo. I'll never go back. Not after you treated me like ." His laughter boomed through the speaker of my phone. "You ing ! You played me, took my money and accused me of cheating. You think I'll let you go that easily? You made me look like a fool! The games has just begun, my love. I'll make sure you regret ever leaving me. I will make you pay!" He snarled. "Game? Well then, two can play this game. Bring it on, Myungingsoo!" I shouted before ending the call.

 

I dropped my phone back on the desk before plopping myself on the bed. "Great, just great!" I shouted as I knocked myself on the forehead a couple of times. I've had my fair share of relationships and flings, but Myungsoo remained my biggest regret. We met when he was a client during my social days. We kept in touch even when I was dismissed from the job. We started to hang out and over time, got into a relationship. I found out that he was a loanshark, and a powerful one at that but that didn't deter me from falling for him. He was sweet and doting at first, helping me out financially whenever I needed help but things started to go downhill when he cheated on me. I was beyond heartbroken, added to the fact that he started to lose interest in me and beat me up ever so often left me helpless.

 

He never agreed to a breakup, for whatever reason I couldn't fathom. I grew tired and frustrated of being pushed around that after he kicked me in the head for refusing to sleep with him one night, I snapped. We got into a huge fight and I cursed and beat him up with whatever energy I had left. Myungsoo just laughed, called me a and left me in the bedroom crying. It might have been hours before I finally pulled myself together. I quickly threw in my belongings into a backpack I found in his closet and took some cash from his safe before leaving his goddamn apartment.

 

Recalling the trouble I went through to stay hidden, I guess Myungsoo is just too powerful that he managed to finally track me down. I hate who I've become after Myungsoo, but I guess everything happens for a reason. Now that he had found me, I know I won't have much time before he turn his words into reality. I shudder at the thought and shut my eyes tight, hoping that sleep would come easy.

 

***

 

"Naeun, could you come in to my office for a minute?" Mrs Jung, my boss called out. She has been calling the staff into her office since the start of my shift, but none of my colleagues would divulge anything when I asked. With a sigh, I trudged my way to her office, praying that she wouldn't fire me because I was late for work again. 

 

"I'll cut straight to the chase. Here you go." She slide an envelope towards me and immediately, my heart dropped. "Please, Mrs Jung. Don't fire me! I won't be late again! I really need this job to help me pay my rent, my debts, my dai..." My boss raised her hand up and I stopped my blabbering. "Open the envelope first." She said in a cold tone. Wih shaky hands, I slowly tore the envelope open and took out a...cheque? I looked at Mrs Jung with a confused expression but she gestured me to continue reading it. My eyes widen when I saw the amount written on the cheque. "Oh my god! What is this? Is this real?" I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that she had given me two times my pay. "The business has been doing really well this year, and Naeun, you have been working full shifts most of the time so I decided to reward you with a one month bonus on top of your current pay and your overtime pay." I squealed happily as I thanked her and made my way out of her office. Now, I can clear my overdue rent with Marco and still have some left for my daily use.

 

When it was near closing time, a customer walked in and I recognized him as the handsome guy from the previous night. I walked towards his table with a menu in hand and placed it on his table. "Hi! Welcome to Jung's Diner." I chirped. He looked at me, amused. "You're in a better mood today." He's damn right because I got a bloody bonus and Marco can finally get off my back. Who knew putting up with long hou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter