In Two Years Time

Where I Left You

"So what's the big news? It sounded awful urgent over the phone," Eunji states, taking her seat at the café table across from Naeun. 

Naeun won't look up from her drink. She continues to stir it with her straw despite the contents being well blended. 

"Okay...I gather it's not great news," Eunji speculates, worrying eyes falling on her best friend. 

Naeun shrugs. "I suppose that's up to you."

Eunji's eyebrows raise, wondering what it could possibly be that her friend was keeping vague about it. 

Naeun looks up finally and squarely into Eunji's bright eyes. 

For a moment she considers not telling her. She considers drafting up some fake excuse for her calling her up to avoid opening up, what could possibly be, Pandora's box.

She decides that it's for the best, that the Eunji she knows would want this information and be upset if she never found out about it. 

Naeun reaches into her designer bag and retrieves a stack of well organized and tastefully decorated envelopes. She slides them in Eunji's direction. Eunji steals a glance at them then back up at Naeun to get the back story. 

"Taemin gave these to me the other day. I don't want to say anymore than that. He thinks if I do that might keep you from reading them." Naeun rolls her eyes jokingly then returns them back to Eunji to see how she's understanding all of this. 

"Your fiance gave you something to give to me? I can only guess it has something to do with..."

Eunji's voice trails off in fear of saying his name. 

Afraid that if she spoke it out loud, she'd be forced to feel all of those emotions she had so desperately struggled to keep down in the process of getting over him. 

Naeun nods. "Tae says he found them while house sitting the other day. Key's out of the country on business and had them on his nightstand. Tae started snooping and determined that you should see them. I told him he shouldn't have gone through his things but then...I read them too and, I agreed with him, you should read them."

Eunji fights back tears and glares in Naeun's direction. "Why? Why would I want to do that? After all I've had to do to get over that."

Naeun places a hand on top of her friend's. "I know, Eunji. I know. But I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't think it meant something. I know all of the things you told me about what you both went through, but I saw you Eunji. I saw how much you loved him. And I've seen you with others. This was different. Key was different. It's been two years. You still choke up at the sound of his name and he, he sleeps with these letters next to him everynight!"

For a split second, Eunji thinks the idea sweet, that Kibum goes to sleep each night with letters of her. But just as quickly as the idea enters her head, she shoves it out.  

"You're right. He was different, which made it that much harder. That much more painful when all of that time went by and he didn't attempt to appear in front of me, not once. As if I meant nothing. He went on about his life like none of it ever happened." Eunji tries to keep her voice down, but it's becoming increasingly hard as her emotions rise.

She looks for a way to escape but she knows Naeun won't let her. She doesn't want to cause a scene so she remains seated, waiting for Naeun's response. 

"You should read the letters, Eunji. I wouldn't be pushing this as much as I am if I thought it was a bad idea. Remember the night I told you I was meeting up with Taemin for the first time in six months? You know what meeting him again meant. Remember what you said that night?"

Eunji's face falls flat. She remembers her words and hates them now that they're coming back to haunt her. 

"You said that I should only meet him if he was the person I was willing to hurt over. You said that everyone you love will disappoint you at some point. They will hurt you at some point because just as much as we're capable of doing right, we can do wrong. Is Taemin worth going through ups and downs for? I told you I wanted him to be, and you said that should be enough. And look at us now. It was enough. Can you honestly say to me that Key isn't worth it to you?" 

Eunji shakes in her seat. She has heard enough and wants more than anything to leave. Naeun's gaze fills with regret. 

Regret for ever having said anything. Regret she knows that Eunji will carry if she doesn't read the letters. 

"Look, if you don't want to read them now, please take them and think about it. Key is supposed to be gone for the next two weeks. Taemin would like to get them back before he returns, so you have until then. I've got to go. Our mothers are supposed to be getting together to discuss wedding details. I love you and I'm sorry for springing this on you." 

Naeun stands up from the table, squeezes Eunji's shoulder and exits the café. 

Depsite being in a public space, Eunji felt alone, cold and in the dark. 

She stares at the letters sitting on the table, feeling as though with every passing second they are taunting her.  

The sound of her heart pounds inside her ears as she reaches for the letter on top titled, "Sometime in Summer." 

She carefully opens the envelope at the corners making sure there isn't a tear in sight. 

Once open, she retrieves two sheets of yellow legal pad paper with Key's handwriting scrawled on each. 

Eunji's hands tremble as she begins to unfold the paper. 

The first thing she notices is that the letter is dated only three weeks ago. 

"So recent," she whispers, moving down to find the beginning line. 

While reading the first sentence, she starts to hear Key's voice in every word. 

That becomes too much for her so she shoves the papers back into the envelope. 

She looks around her to see if anyone is giving her weird stares, but she soon realizes no one is paying her any attention. 

They're all going about their lives, no regard for Eunji's personal hell. 

She sighs in relief, places the letters into her bag and heads for the exit. 

"No, Eunji, these letters don't change a single thing," she says to herself as she marches out into the cool Autumn air.