The Unthinkable

Where I Left You

Our next run in happened sooner than the last time.

It turned out we'd be seeing a lot more of each other due to our mutual friends.

Naeun was dating Taemin at the time - before that thing happened - causing us to bump into each other more. 

The next time being during Naeun's birthday.

Taemin planned an extravaganza at that club you said you hated.

The one where the bar was always sticky and the chairs took up too much space on the dance floor.

You said it was a club that tries too hard to appeal to foreigners. 

I concurred by laughing and taking a small sip of my drink.

You smiled and brought up the day at the gallery. 

Inquired why I'd left so abruptly. 

And I was surprised that you'd remembered me, flattered even.

So much so that I couldn't offer words. I could only stare.

Even under the fluorescent lights, your skin shone beautifully. 

You were talking and I have to be honest, I didn't hear much of what you were saying. 

It was partly because I was tipsy, partly due to the stream of techno beats, and mostly because I was engrossed in the sight of you, too engrossed in fact, that my other senses were fading just so my sight could heighten, taking in the view of you, detail by detail. 

The crinkles at the corner of your eyes, the seemingly never ending line of your lips, the light flaring of your nostrils when you couldn't stop giggling, the sultry look in your eyes with every sip that you took. 

And that fresh air...that liberating feeling...

It claimed me once again. 

But this time I didn't cower. 

I didn't stumble.

I took a deep breath, concluding in that moment what this feeling was about.

As the feeling washed over me, demanding every inch of my body, I stood paralyzed as you continued to speak.

It may have appeared to you as gawking, the way my eyes enlarged and my bottom lip hung lazily.

The way my shoulders drooped lowly and my hands dangled limply. 

You looked concerned, your eyes squinting in the same way they had at the gallery when you thought you'd offended me. 

"Um, Key? That's your name, right? Key?" Your voice shook.

You took two small steps, closing in the space between us, to wave your hand in front of my face.

Immediately the warmth of your aura mingled with my own. It was faint and sweet, like a daisy perfume, and it mobilized my limbs quickly enough to catch your wrist before your hand completed its next wave. 

You jumped, startled by my sudden action, but the tension in your body softened when you caught my gaze.

Slowly, and almost inaudibly, you broke the silence.

"This is the part where you run, right?" 

I smirked at your witty remark.

You were always witty. 

Annoyingly so.

I shook my head and inched closer to you, stooping my head a bit lower to whisper, "would you like to dance?"

You propped yourself on the tips of your toes to peek over my shoulder.

I turned my head in that same direction to see a few of your friends drinking and laughing, paying us no mind.

I'm sure that's what got you to accept my offer. The fact that your friends weren't looking. 

It seemed to give you an easy feeling, and it let me know that you'd spoken to them about me before. 

"Yes," you agreed, wriggling your wrist from my grip to wrap your fingers around my hand.

You pulled me through the throng of club dancers to a spot you felt secure.

Your friends weren't in sight which caused an unexpected side of you to reveal itself. 

A side I could only watch in admiration.

A side that had me utterly intoxicated. 

The way your body moved, like ocean waves, twisting and turning, building for a , then crashing when the beat dropped. 

Once against the front of my body, then separated again, almost engulfed by the crowd. 

You ruffled your hair and wiggled your hips, letting the music take you. 

How one could dance so dreamily over a pop synth beat, I'm still trying to understand.

When a slower song started, a soulful American tune - a tune you said you loved - you wrapped your arms around my torso and snuggled your head against the soft pink fabric of my sweater.

Hesitantly, my arms circled your body and we rocked back and forth to the beat. 

I could tell the parts of the song you liked the most because you squeezed me tight in intervals.

I suppressed my laughter and shook my head, thinking instead how lovely it felt to have you in my arms.

The crowd was lost to the slowness of the song, clearing the floor, making us visible to your friends. 

You didn't seem to notice.

You seemed to be comfortable. 

But I noticed. 

Saw the way the eyes of your friends lit up at the sight of us. 

I pivoted my head from their view to conceal my blushing face. 

Then I looked down at you, catching nothing but the crown of your head.

And even still my heart fluttered in a way that was so foreign...it was almost...as Alicia Keys crooned from the overhead speakers...

Unthinkable.