Again, for the First Time

Where I Left You

"We need Eunji on mic two for sound check, where is she?" An extremely rattled sound engineer rushes around backstage, peeping her head in dressing rooms to see if she can spot the star of the show. 

Soon, other actresses and back stage crew begin to feel the frenzy and call out Eunji's name. 

Eunji, unaware of the stir created with her absence, paces the roof of the theater, considering the unlit cigarette in her hand while simultaneously obsessing over the fact that she will be reunited with Kibum by the end of the evening. 

No turning back. If he actually shows up, this will be our first interaction in two years. 

Eunji's thoughts are interrupted by the loud sound of the rooftop door swinging open and a distraught Director Lee fighting to catch his breath. 

"God, there you are! You have everyone worried down there."

Eunji feels sudden shame for disappearing and causing her show mates to worry. She remembers the cigarette still cradled between her fingers and slides it into her jacket pocket inconspicuously. 

"I'm so sorry. I just needed a quick moment to clear my head. It's not stage fright, just wrapping my head around the fact that I've been waiting for this moment for so long, I didn't even realize it until now." Eunji can't tell now if she's speaking about her theater debut or reunion with Kibum, but she decides that the sentiment is fitting either way. 

"I understand, that's perfectly normal. But this is the time now. We've got to do our final prep before showtime, let's head down."

Eunji nods and follows Director Lee down the steps, passing the dressing rooms, straight to backstage. 

"Ugh! There you are!" The sound engineer exclaims. She rushes Eunji over to the spot marked "mic 2" and shoves a microphone into Eunji's face. "Need to test your vocals on this mic. Turn us up on two!" She yells up to the sound booth. 

Eunji lets out a small yet powerful series of typical sound check notes until the sound engineer gives her the thumbs up of approval. 

"Perfect, now back to hair and make up, we're good here!"

Eunji is whisked away by the costume crew, where they take her jacket and toss it onto the back of a nearby chair. 

In the jacket, accompanying Eunji's lone cigarette is her cellphone, which, unbeknownst to her, chimes with a text message sent by Naeun exclaiming:

Emergency! Call me!


Outside of the theater, trouble is brewing as Naeun and Taemin see Kibum strolling back from the box office, excitedly waving a recently purchased ticket to the show. 

"That was a close one, they were almost sold out." 

Naeun and Taemin's eyes look to the tall, slender, brown skinned woman who's hand is outstretched to take the ticket from Kibum. 

"Uh, Key, on second thought, why don't we go to eat instead? I am starving," Taemin suggests, wrapping his arm around Kibum's shoulders to steer him away from the theater's entrance. 

Kibum laughs and removes Taemin's arm. "Dude, I just bought this extra ticket. Besides, you were hyping this show up, now I'm super excited to see it." 

"We're sorry, we just...didn't expect you to bring a guest..." Naeun trails off sadly. 

Sheer panic can't begin to describe the feeling running rampant in both Taemin and Naeun. They nearly fainted when they saw Kibum park his car, walk to the passenger side and opened the door to reveal a beautiful New York woman, to which he introduced as Amandla. 

"Who's she?" Taemin asked Kibum, although he already dreaded the answer. 

It wasn't hard to figure out, the way she immediately clung to him coming out of the car, a nervous smile appearing on her face as she came closer to where Taemin and Naeun stood. 

"I know it's rather sudden, and perhaps I should've taken another opportunity to do this, but I didn't want to be the third wheel at this show," Kibum laughed, but only to himself. "This is my girlfriend, Amandla. We met on the plane ride to New York and were pretty much inseparable since then."

"Inseparable?" Naeun scoffed but quickly caught herself. "W-wow Key, I thought you were traveling on business."

Kibum gave an inquisitive look then shrugged. "Guess I'm good at multi-tasking."

"You. Sure. Are. Buddy," Taemin said through clenched teeth. "Well, I would say it's nice to meet you, Amanda...but you see, we only have three complimentary tickets to the show and at this rate I'm sure they're sold out." 

Amandla stood poised and unfazed. "Nice to meet you, Taemin? And you must be Naeun," she extended her hand to Naeun, who was reluctant to return the gesture. "It's actually Amand-la, but I let the first few times slide," she let out an airy laugh and gazed lovingly at Kibum. 

"I'll go check the box office to see if they're sold out, if they are, Amandla and I will just have to catch you both on the next outing." 

At the time, that suggestion brought relief to Taemin and Naeun, but now that Kibum had returned with an extra ticket and was refusing to do anything else, their one-sided horror reared its head once again. 

"She's not responding," Naeun whispers sharply to Taemin, referring to the text message she sent Eunji a moment ago, prompting her to call.

"Damn, she probably doesn't see it. It's probably total chaos backstage," Taemin groans. 

All four of them file in the line of show goers, handing their tickets to the usher and walking to an empty row of seats. 

Taemin and Naeun walk as if cement bricks have been tied to their ankles. There isn't anything they can do short of disrupting the show to find Eunji and tell her the horrible news.

They have already begun to feel guilty, thinking of how hurt Eunji will feel, on one of the biggest nights of her life at that. 

What would've happened if they never would have blabbed about the letters by Kibum's bedside? 

They both know it's too late to turn back time. 

The lights are dimming throughout the theater. Conversations become a cacophony of whispers and "shhhs." 

The curtains close to reveal, in just a moment, the star of the show. 

Kibum and Amandla snuggle up to one another, much to Taemin and Naeun's disappointment. 

The newfound silence in the theater is broken by the sound of trumpets and other horns part of the opening instrumental. 

The curtains slowly rises to show a woman clad in all white, with a wedding veil falling over her eyes. 

She clutches the bouquet of artificial flowers in her hand, and as the music grows more somber, she drops them and takes a deep breath.

The woman whispers the first note, as if she's singing through tears, creating an incredibly emotional audience at the start. 

And just as she has the audience bracing for the next line, she beautifully belts the next note, causing for the audience to roar with applause. 

Except three people in the audience, staring in horror, much to Amandla's confusion. 

That unmistakable voice that once filled Kibum with that fresh air feeling, now causing him to feel suffocated. 

Eunji lifts the veil from her eyes and, without missing a beat, scans the audience to see if she can make out Key among them.