Dreams and Nightmares

Where I Left You

Eunji greets Naeun in the theater's car lot with a somber head nod and a flick of her cigarette. 

Naeun's steps feel weighted with regret for being partly responsible for such a dreadful turn of events. She isn't even sure she should say anything as she closes in the distance between her and her best friend. 

"Where's Taemin?" Eunji asks calmly while exhaling smoke into the air. Her eyes are misty despite her cool demeanor. 

Naeun knows it's just a front but she allows her friend to play the part. "He went to smooth things over with...um...," she looks down at the ground, wondering if saying his name will make things worse. 

"Key?" Eunji smirks, flicking ashes down by her dance shoes. "You can say his name." She inhales sharply once more then puts the cigarette out with the her toes. 

"I'm sorry, Eunji," Naeun whispers, unable to bring herself to look into Eunji's pained gaze. 

Eunji shakes her head and places her cigarette-free hand onto Naeun's shoulder. 

"Don't apologize. You didn't know. I don't blame you." Eunji begins to walk toward her car and Naeun follows closely behind. 

"Yes, but, Taemin and I, we shouldn't have meddled. We have to take responsibility."

"You and Taemin did what you'd normally do," Eunji shrugs, "it's my fault. I shouldn't have read the letters. I should've trusted my gut instinct and opted against opening old wounds. I know your intentions weren't ill, you thought you were helping, but I didn't listen to myself. I made my choices, my assumptions, and now we're here." 

Naeun shakes her head, unsatisfied that her friend is choosing to blame herself. She knows there's no use in arguing, however. Eunji had said her piece, which partly expressed that she was upset with her and Taemin for interfering. 

Eunji moves to get into her car but not before turning to Naeun for a last few words. 

"You know, I can't even feel good about tonight. For so long I've dreamed of singing on a stage in front of a crowd of people. And you know who inspired me to do that?" She scoffs. "Every moment of pursuing this dream was filled with thoughts of him, his words, and I did it despite that. How do I go on now?" Tears start to form in the corner of her eyes. 

She's not looking for an answer from Naeun. Naeun doesn't attempt to give one. 

She lets Eunji close her door and drive away, not knowing the right words to say. 


Kibum ushers Amandla into his car just in time for Taemin to appear in front of him. 

As much as Taemin is the last person he wishes to see, he knows Taemin is one of the only ones that can answer the questions burning within. 

Taemin's face says it all. He's washed with guilt, he's hoping Kibum doesn't hate him. 

"Key, I-," Taemin begins. 

"Not here," Kibum interrupts coldly, starting back towards the front of the theater, away from Amandla. "Now, start talking."

Kibum taps his foot impatiently against the asphalt and crosses his arms over his chest. 

Taemin's shoulders slump as he begins to explain. "It was stupid, Key. I shouldn't have gotten involved. I-I...I read those letters by your bed."

Taemin looks nervouly at Kibum to catch his eyes wide as saucers. 

"Y-you read my letters?" Kibum is trying to make sure they're both talking about the same thing, although he's already sure of it and is mortified by the thought. 

"I know I shouldn't have, but I was curious. And I know that's not an excuse, it's not. I read them and I saw how recently they were written and I figured that I'd try to reconcile things between you and...you know..." 

"Since when did you care so much about my relationship with Eunji?" 

"Since I saw how happy she made you, and I wasn't sure you'd get over her. It seemed like it was taking forever and I read those letters thinking I found all of the confirmation I needed. I wanted to help and of course Naeun was in on it too."

"Now why would Naeun get involved?"

Taemin thought to himself if he should give the full story. Perhaps he could help Eunji save face by making it seem as though she had no idea of any of this. He takes a moment to craft words that won't reveal how Eunji feels about Kibum. 

"Well, Naeun thought it would be sweet and um, she also thought you and Eunji were a good pair. But we kept it from both of you because we thought if we just got you in the same room, you'd both see how much you miss each other."

"Eunji didn't know? I can accept you doing this to me, but did either of you consider what you'd be doing to her? On her big night, nonetheless? You'd just bombard her with all of this because you guys wanted a storybook ending? Were you thinking of either of us at all?"

Despite Taemin knowing the truth, that Eunji had very much participated in planning their reunion, he decides it's best for Kibum to believe she had nothing to do with this. 

"We didn't think," Taemin whispers. "It was extremely selfish, we shouldn't have done it."

Kibum hears the sincere remorse coming from his best friend. 

And while he's still upset, he knows that Taemin and Naeun's hearts were in the right place; although that does not help to subside the worry that he feels for Eunji. 

He saw her tonight. How beautfiul she sang. How confidently she moved about the stage. He knows that she worked incredibly hard for that moment, all for her to be confronted by a botched reunion. 

He recalls the moment their eyes locked in the hallway - her sheer shock and abruptness to leave. That moment will surely stain the memory of this night. 

Now he's beginning to feel responsible. 

"I have to speak to her," Kibum breaks the awkward silence between them two. 

Taemin shakes his head furiously. "Uh, that's probably not the best idea. Her and Naeun probably have a lot to work out, you know?"

Just as he says this, Naeun strolls past, head hanging low with her feet dragging. She doesn't look up. 

She walks up to Taemin, leans her head on his chest and sighs. "I think I just lost my best friend. I feel so horrible." 

Taemin wraps his arms around Naeun and lets out a little cough to remind her that they're not alone. 

"I would say my apologies, Key, but at this point, I don't know how useful it will be," Naeun says defeatedly. 

"I have to go see her," Kibum says with a bit more urgency. 

Naeun hears this and perks up from Taemin's arms. "Y-you want to see her?"

"I have to," Kibum says, practically springing onto his toes having made up his mind. "Does she still live in the same building?"

"Yes! Same floor and everything," Naeun answers excitedly. 

Taemin attempts to but in, thinking he and Naeun have already done enough meddling for a lifetime. "Key, maybe you should just let it cool down, you know? And what about, uh, Amandla?"

Naeun looks at Taemin incredulously and continues to assert that Kibum should go after Eunji. "I think she'd want to see Key, honey."

Kibum quickly glances toward the car where Amandla has been sitting, patiently waiting for his return. 

"I need you guys to take her home for me. I'll make up whatever excuse I need, but I need you both to do this." 

Naeun clasps her hands together while Taemin shakes his head. 

"I just don't think it's a good idea, man."

"You don't get to step back now. It's a mess you made that has to be cleaned. Now you owe me this."

Taemin doesn't press the issue. Kibum won't allow him. 

Kibum breaks into a light jog back to his car, gives Amandla an excuse that suffices and gets her settled into the back of Naeun and Taemin's car.

Once he's on the road in a race to Eunji's home, Taemin and Naeun head towards their vehicle, Naeun still staring in disbelief at her fiance.

"You mind explaining to me why you're trying to keep those two apart?"

Taemin lets out an exasperated sigh. "He doesn't know."

Naeun scrunches up her face in confusion. "What doesn't he know?"

"That Eunji was the one that invited him here."