Part Seven

Jin Shàngwèi

 

Minseok had been staring at the shut door for the past five minutes, deeply contemplating his next move. The soldier manning the hallway approached him, cautiously asking if he needed his assistance with anything, Minseok shook his head noting how the soldier scurried back to his position in relief. He knew they were all unsettled, no doubt word had spread of his and Luhan’s argument as soon as it broke out. And even though he was the well-tempered one out of the two of them, his men had been acting as if they were walking on eggshells around him. He glanced at the door once again hand reaching for the knob only to pause midway, he let his hand drop back down to his side. He shouldn't. Minseok took a reluctant step backwards knowing his presence would only agitate Luhan at this point.  Who knew how much more damage he would bring to their relationship with another confrontation so soon after their first one. He held in his sigh, willing himself to move away from the door.

 

“If anyone is looking for me, I’ll be in the main office” he told the soldier on guard before he finally left.

 

A few minutes passed before the door opened, Luhan peaked out glancing down the corridor Minseok had taken. He straightened up as he took a step into the hallway, the look in his eyes striking fear in the soldier that was beckoned over wordlessly.

 

“Get me my driver.”

 

-

 

Xi Tèjíjiàng was stopped by one of his officers as he was about to enter his office,

 

“Xi Èrjíjiàng, is here to see you, Tèjíjiàng. He has been waiting inside your office.”

 

Xi Tèjíjiàng stifled a groan at the report, he had expected a visit from his son just not this soon. He nodded slowly gaze contemplative,

 

“Hold off all of my appointments,” he told the officer before entering his office. He eyed his son, the day had not been good to him, he seemed to age in mere hours.

 

“Luhan-“

 

“Why did you approve his registration?” Luhan cut straight to the point of his visit, he stood up to face his father properly. His defensive stance making the elder wary of the inevitable fight that his son would put up,

 

“Why would I refuse? He is more than capable,”

 

Luhan’s looked at him expression incredulous, as if he could not fathom his father’s answer. A myriad of emotions flashed across his face in the span of a few seconds.

 

“For once in your life can you stop thinking about work? You know-“ Luhan paused trying but failing to keep his emotions in check as the sting of betrayal hit him again, “you know how I feel about him! How I worry, yet you still insist–“ a strange look passed over Luhan as a thought hit him, “You’re punishing me, aren’t you? For disobeying you and keeping Xiumin-“ Luhan’s hands curled at his sides, angry eyes narrowed on his father.

 

“You just can’t stand me being happy can you-“

 

“You know if he stays he’ll never be happy,“ Xi Tèjíjiàng interrupted him before he could go further, words a visible slap in the face for Luhan. The implication that Minseok was unhappy with staying by his side, infuriated him. He had done nothing but made sure Minseok had the best, was treated the best! He had everyone at his beck and call, he would not even need to lift a finger if he did not wish to.

 

“Are you saying he isn’t happy with me?” He scoffed in disbelief, anger spiking at his father’s dismissive shrug, “what good is happiness when it’ll kill you!”

 

A long pause followed Luhan’s outburst, his anger simmered at the blatant pity in his father’s expression. Luhan did not want his pity. He was hurt and he wanted others to feel the same way as well. He took a step forward advancing towards his father.

 

“Tell me Tèjíjiàng, what good was my mother’s happiness when it caused her death. You let her do whatever she wanted, what good has come out of-“

 

Luhan saw the slap coming but at this point he could not care less, he lowered his head.

 

Xi Tèjíjiàng retracted his stinging hand, regret lining his features as soon as his actions registered.

 

“Luhan, you know your mother was a proud woman, and she had every right to be. Not just any woman can get a paid profession among men. You know it as well, she hated being cooped up at home, letting her skills go to waste when she could be saving so many people. If I had kept her from doing what she loved, how would that be any different from killing her?” Luhan remained silent as his father spoke, shoulders trembling slightly.

 

“I find peace in knowing your mother died doing what she loved, that’s enough for me. Even if you do not think so…” He trailed off, not knowing what else to say on the matter. Not knowing how to comfort his son.

 

“Let him go-“ he finally advised seeing Luhan was not protesting, “only then will he be able to come back with a peaceful mind.”

 

“Pa-“ Luhan’s eyes were shiny as he lifted his head startling his father. The two were the same height, but the Luhan that stood before him had never looked as small as he did now.

 

“I know you’re not stupid, Luhan, you know it yourself,” he said gently, “your relationship with Xiumin is not as strong as it once was. You two need time away from each other-“ Luhan’s eyes clouded, “he has to come back for you on his own two feet, not dragged and bound-“

 

“What if he won’t?” Luhan asked quietly anger absent from his expression, “What if he won’t come back?“

 

That was it, Luhan’s main fear finally coming to surface after all the years he had tried to hide it. His father shook his head not surprised by the revelation, he had long known of his son’s feelings but chose to stay silent out of respect. For he could only imagine how deep those feelings ran, he knew what his son had let slip was merely a fraction of it. His heart clenched at the road Luhan had chosen, it would be hard but he was wiling to aid him in order to lessen the burden.

 

“He will,” he promised, hand on Luhan’s shoulder anchoring the boy down. Luhan’s eyes were doubtful.

 

“Do you believe that?” he asked not daring to hope, Xi Tèjíjiàng nodded slowly. While he did not know Minseok as well as his son did, he saw the things Luhan did not.

 

“I know it, Luhan. Now go home-“

 

“I can’t-“

 

“Luhan,” his father was frowning, Luhan shook his head,

 

“I’ll only make things worse if I see him, father,” he said sadly, “permit me to stay here for a few days, please,”

 

His father’s expression was grim as he agreed.

  

-

 

Minseok walked into the admiral’s base with Ran Shàngwèi, the latter had asked to come along the day before and Minseok had no reason that he could use to dissuade the other. They greeted the General overseeing the paper work before moving into another room where Minseok could fill in his final forms. Minseok began to fill them in quietly, only looking up when a loud conversation commenced outside of the room. The General seemed to be scolding someone.

 

“…You’re lucky your request was approved Wu Yifan! This is the army, not your playground! Next time make sure to meet the deadline!”

 

Ran Shàngwèi and Minseok traded looks not sure if they heard right until Yifan and Yixing walked into the room. Minseok stood up brows furrowing at the two,

 

“Why are you here?” he asked carefully, his stomach feeling oddly hollow at the sight of them.

 

“Same reason you are,” Yifan replied waving the papers in his hand at Minseok, motion almost mocking, “I’ve always wanted to travel,” he joked dryly making Yixing frown in disapproval. Minseok shook his head at Yifan’s cynicism, irritation seeping into his skin at the other’s flippant attitude.

 

“I’m sure Jing Xiu was worried about my signing up but if you think what you’re doing right now will help, stop.” Minseok felt his blood rise at Yifan’s impassive stare, “You’re wrong, you’ll only make things worse for all of us,”

 

“What does my decision have to do with you or Jing Xiu?”

 

The look on Yifan’s face was one Minseok had not seen in a long time, the detachment unnerved him.

 

“-and I fail to see how this will make things worse? My presence will boost morale-“

 

“Are you an idiot? Think about what this will do to him!”

 

Yifan’s smirk was cruel.

 

“Like you thought of your precious General when you signed up?” he uncharacteristically taunted, Minseok’s fingers dug into his palm. He refused to fall for the bait, “Jin Xiumin, Luhan’s spoilt you hasn’t he?” Yifan tilted his head in faux thought, “you’ve gotten so used to having things your way, but I’m sorry to disappoint you I’m not your puppet to control, that’s Luhan’s job-“

 

“Shut the up!“ Yixing and Ran Shàngwèi’s eyes widened, never having heard the usually calm Minseok swear or seen him lose his cool, “I will not tolerate you talking about him that way-“

 

“Oh,” Yifan raised a brow, expression almost concerned if only it were not followed with a scornful chuckle, “isn’t it a bit too late to be worried for him?”

 

Yixing’s frown deepened in confusion, while he had a temper Yifan rarely started or instigated fights. He moved forward foreseeing trouble.

 

“Hasn’t Luhan been a burden to you? The boy’s practically glued to your side- like some sort of parasite,” Yifan paused smirking at the way Minseok’s jaw clenched, eyes undeniably furious, “You like to think you’re untouchable Xiumin, like to pretend you don’t care, but in the end you’re just as transparent as Luhan. How pathetic-“

 

Minseok lunged forward fist raised, 

 

“I said don't talk about him-“ Ran Shàngwèi and Yixing grabbed him before he could reach Yifan, simultaneously shutting him up with a hand over his mouth. They did not need anyone else witnessing this. Yixing released him to stand between them face contorted in anger, the expression was foreign on him.

 

“You’re both idiots! He spat stopping Minseok’s struggles against Ran Shàngwèi, “Shut up and get your forms in. Unlike you two I actually don’t like to make people worry, I have to get back to my brother soon. “

 

Minseok and Yifan reluctantly sat as another soldier entered, exchanging one more glare before ignoring each other completely.

 

Minseok’s hands were shaking as he held his pen against his forms, he tried to take a calming breath visibly failing as Ran Shàngwèi kindly took the pen from him. He palms were starting to get clammy as he thought of Kyungsoo. His heart started to hammer against his chest. What had he done?

 

“Allow me,” Ran Shàngwèi said, already inputting Minseok’s name in his second form. Minseok nodded wordlessly trying hard to suppress the panic running through him, not sure it was working as he caught sight of Yixing’s concerned expression. He shut his eyes. What had he done?

 

-

 

Yifan knew Yixing was still staring at him, had been ever since they entered the car.

 

“What?” he asked finally giving in to Yixing’s stare.

 

“That was too much, one would think you cared for Luhan,” was the other’s answer referring to what had just transpired between him and Minseok.

 

“I don't,” Yifan answered gruffly, unconvincing even to himself. Yixing’s amused smile was fleeting.

 

“Really?” he dared to teased, “well I hope you’re ready for round two, Chen will be harder to subdue than Xiumin-“

 

Yifan held in a groan at the thought of what was waiting for him,

 

“He is the least of my worries.”

 

-

 

 

“Wu Èrjíjiàng and Jin Shàngwèi almost got into a physical fight,” Luhan finally lifted his head in interest, the first sign that he was actually listening to Ran Shàngwèi ever since the latter came in half an hour ago to give him an update on his work. Despite his passive expression, concern lined the General’s eyes.

 

“Who started it?” he asked already knowing the answer,

 

“Wu Èrjíjiàng did, he-“ Ran Shàngwèi hesitated as he remembered the sole reason of the argument , “he provoked Jin Shàngwèi and made him loose his temper-“

 

“Xiumin doesn't loose his temper easily,” Luhan said more to himself,

 

“Well he did, I had to fill in his forms for him because he was shaking too much-“

 

“Shaking, is he unwell?” Luhan asked beginning to frown.

 

“From anger, Èrjíjiàng” Ran Shàngwèi corrected, the concern in Luhan’s eyes lessened only to give way to slight confusion. Ran Shàngwèi debated with himself before braving himself to ask,

 

Èrjíjiàng, if I may ask?”

 

Luhan prompted him to continue,

 

“Why don't you stop Jin Shàngwèi?”

 

Their General was famous on and off their base for his persistence, they all knew he could stop all the proceedings regarding Jin Shàngwèi’s registration if he wanted to. A wry grin made its way onto Luhan’s face, he too knew he could stop Minseok. But this time he chose to believe in his father, even if it hurt him to do so.

 

“I must respect his decision,” Luhan finally replied with a smile that didn't reach his eyes, Ran Shàngwèi nodded dropping the subject immediately. The General’s gaze had drifted again.

 

-

 

Minseok looked up as he caught movement from the corner of his eye, Yixing approached him slowly. Minseok sighed,

 

“Not you as well,” he commented tiredly, eyes guarded.

 

“Yifan is sorry,” Yixing said unexpectedly, “For all that he said yesterday.”

 

“Is he really?” Minseok questioned doubting the other’s comment, Yixing smiled.

 

“I don't know,” Yixing came closer looking around cautiously before asking his following question, “Are you really going to find answers?”

 

“Yes,” was Minseok’s curt reply, it was not a lie. Minseok’s mind had been unstable ever since his nightmare had reoccurred, digging up things he would prefer to keep deeply buried in the back of his mind.

 

“Of what happened to your family?”

 

“Yes,” he said not completely lying, but not telling the whole truth either.

 

“Is that all?” Yixing prodded softly. Minseok was silent as he studied Yixing, the other did not betray his true intent of conversation, yet Minseok knew it was approaching a territory he was uncomfortable to talk about.

 

“I need to find an answer,” Minseok began slowly not wanting to reveal too much, “for a question I’ve constantly been running away from. Something I’ve been struggling with accepting-“

 

“And you’ll find this in the South?”

 

“It’s not the location, Yixing. I’ll find it in distance, in absence, in loneliness-“ there was an uneasy feeling thrumming through Minseok, he stopped not daring to go further, unable to do so even if he wanted to. Understanding seemed to dawn on Yixing with Minseok’s hesitance. He took a step back getting out of Minseok’s space.

 

“I hope you find it,” he wished sincerely, Minseok’s smile was sad.

 

“I will.”

 

Yixing made a move to leave before he paused looking back at Minseok,

 

“There is no harm in being transparent,” he said referring to Yifan’s insult before he started to walk away, “A man with nothing to hide is a man to be feared.”

 

Minseok’s smile was genuine as he waved the other off, Yixing was too smart for his own good. His smile dimmed as he turned to look out of the window again, the streets were quiet. He took a reluctant step back, heart heavy. He knew Luhan would not return tonight.

 



A/N: HI :)