Part Five

Jin Shàngwèi

­­­­July 1951

 

 Luhan’s eyes were trained on Minseok as he stood in front of the map Luhan had purchased earlier on in town. The marker in the Captain’s hand remained unopened as he stared steadily at the map seemingly concentrating. Yet, Luhan knew the other was not really looking at the map, his eyes were far too distant brain no doubt preoccupied by other matters. Things had been this way ever since he had suffered from the nightmare and whilst it did not reoccur, Luhan could tell it was getting increasingly harder for Minseok to fall asleep at night.

 

 Days would go by with Minseok acting as he normally would, but there would always be that odd day where Luhan would find Minseok withdrawn from reality, spaced out and deathly quiet. His episodes had gone unnoticed by others but it could not fool Luhan. And while it worried him he found that it was best to pretend he did not notice, he knew Minseok hated to be fussed over. He got up from his chair to stand beside Minseok, the latter still looking vacantly at the map not noticing Luhan’s presence. He pulled the marker from Minseok’s grip, bringing him back to reality. Luhan bent over the map circling an area, Minseok blinked at it uncomprehendingly before turning to look at him expression puzzled. 

 

"Yifan's base?"

 

Luhan’s answering smile was sly,

 

"Isn't it about time for our monthly tradition of annoying Yifan?" he asked, smile brightening when a ghost of a smile made it's way to Minseok's face. The other nodded,

 

“It is,” he agreed.

 

-

 

 

Yifan frowned as a sudden burst of noise broke out in the courtyard, he trailed off mid sentence exchanging a look with Luhan at the oddity. Minseok left his place by Kyungsoo’s side to stand beside Luhan, hovering protectively he was always prepared for the worst lately. Yifan opened his office’s door and the soldier about to knock paused hand in mid air,

 

“A truck, Èrjíjiàng,” he reported eyes betraying his confusion,

 

“A truck?” Yifan repeated frown becoming deeper by the second, he had not been notified of any army vehicles except his own entering his base. He nodded turning to Kyungsoo,

 

“Stay here,”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head stubbornly, Yifan almost let out a growl until he remembered Luhan and Minseok’s presence. He held his irritation at bay knowing it delighted Luhan when he lost his cool because of his consort.

 

“Fine,” he said through gritted teeth exiting the room, the others followed closely. Luhan rolled his eyes as Minseok walked slightly ahead of him defense up, he could protect himself.

 

True enough, there was a military truck pulled up by the gate. Yifan and Luhan approached the uniformed personal that was waiting. Minseok tapped his feet impatiently as the men began to converse.

 

"What is going on?" Kyungsoo questioned apprehensively, he shrugged lightly in reply trying to read the soldier's lips but it was impossible due to the distance. Yifan and Luhan took a step back as the back of the truck was opened, Minseok stiffened as a man lifted up a chain tugging on it harshly. He could hardly believe what he was seeing, he felt all the blood in his body rush to his head.  

 

"War prisoners," he breathed out anger seeping through his tone, he felt Kyungsoo move closer to him as the first prisoner stepped off the truck, haggard and dirty. A dozen boys followed head bowed submissively, Minseok could not tear his gaze away as he scanned through the worn faces bracing himself for the worst. There was no doubt about it the boys were Korean.

 

He went through their faces systematically and those who were beaten beyond recognition he studied their physiques. None, his brain supplied. None, were Jongin. He let out the breath he was holding about to approach Luhan when he saw him, a friend.

 

He reached for Kyungsoo not knowing why he did so, fingers wrapping around the younger’s forearm. Kyungsoo looked up at the contact before following Minseok's gaze, Minseok felt more than heard Kyungsoo gasp as he caught sight of the familiar man. A man Minseok knew Kyungsoo was close with due to family ties. Kyungsoo stepped forward name already on the tip of his tongue, the prisoner looked down pretending not to know them. Minseok let out an angry sound as he tried to tug Kyungsoo back into place, the men close to them turned wondering why Yifan’s consort had moved out of line.

 

"Step back, Jing Xiu," Minseok hissed purposely using Kyungsoo’s alias in hopes of bringing him back to focus, Yifan had noticed his consort’s reaction and was watching him oddly. The stupid boy was going to-

 

"Jongin is safe," the soldiers around the prisoner frowned at the foreign language spilling from his lips, Minseok’s train of thought cut off completely at the mention of his cousin. His grip on Kyungsoo loosened, hand falling to his side numbly. He barely noticed Luhan turning to look at him or Kyungsoo flinching as the prisoner was punched in the ribs for his insolence.

 

"B-Baekhyun and Chanyeol also got out on time,"

 

Kyungsoo rushed forward in a mad run startling Minseok back into reality. His eyes widened as Kyungsoo threw himself in front of the prisoner arms wrapping around him protectively, his small body was barely any protection but Minseok knew Kyungsoo would stand his ground. The whole courtyard was quiet, murmuring that had arisen when the truck arrived was silenced by Wu Èrjíjiàng’s tiny consort. Minseok let out a tiny curse as he saw Yifan’s face flush with anger.

 

"Enough," Kyungsoo pleaded eyes darting to Yifan's furious slitted ones, "please," 

 

The guard looked at Yifan at a loss of what to do, the general strode forward grabbing Kyungsoo's arm yanking him away from the stunned prisoner. Kyungsoo stumbled against Yifan. No one moved,

 

"Take them away, I will deal with them later." His grip on Kyungsoo tightened as he dragged him away. Minseok clenched his fists fighting the strong urge to follow and defend Kyungsoo, he knew the other had brought this upon himself. He could not act so recklessly with so much at stake. He spared a final glance at the prisoner who was being lead away. Was his information credible? Was Jongin really safe? If so, where was he?

 

“Your cousin,” Minseok jumped turning to Luhan, not even noticing the other had rejoined him, “did he say something about your cousin? I could not catch his words.”

 

Minseok’s lips parted,

 

“No,” the lie surprised both of them, Minseok did not even know why he did it. Luhan’s eyes narrowed slightly, he took a step back away from Minseok something akin to disappointment present in his eyes. Minseok felt something shift between them, his palms began to sweat.

 

“Luhan-“

 

Luhan held a hand up stopping Minseok,

 

“You don't have to explain,” he said curtly, not even looking at Minseok, “I understand-“

 

Frustration filled Minseok at Luhan’s quick dismissal, how could he understand when Minseok himself wasn't even sure on why he lied in the first place.

 

“We should go make sure Yifan doesn't kill Jing Xiu,” he continued not giving Minseok the chance to right the situation as he walked away. They reached the office just as Yifan exited storming by them, eyes murderous. The door slammed behind him allowing them a tiny glimpse of Kyungsoo. Luhan paused,

 

“Would you like to speak to him alone?” he questioned tone sardonic, “I would hate for the honesty of your conversation to be ruined by my presence.”

 

Minseok held back a sigh, knowing Luhan was not going to let his hiccup slide easily. He pushed by him wordlessly and opened the door. A cowering Kyungsoo greeted him and this time he couldn't keep his sigh in. Don't baby him, his mind said cruelly.

 

"You really messed up, he was willing to protect us by pretending not to know us," he commented coldly mood sour after everything that had just transpired in mere minutes. Kyungsoo stood up walking towards the window,

 

"I'm tired of pretending," he said exasperation clear in his tone, "I couldn't just stand there and watch him getting beat up because of me,"

 

"This is a war, sacrifices have to be made,"

 

Kyungsoo looked out of the window as Minseok spoke, there was a contemplative look in the younger man’s eyes. One that Minseok knew would only lead to trouble.

 

"Do you not think we have sacrificed enough, hyung?" Kyungsoo questioned gently, stumping Minseok. He knew the answer, they both did. Minseok's brows furrowed.

 

"Just be careful," he warned before leaving as Luhan peeked in from behind the door, impatient.

 

The two returned home in silence, atmosphere so heavy that Minseok requested the driver to stop by the office first to drop him off. He could not bear to be in Luhan’s presence a second longer, not when the other’s eyes looked at him with such disappointment.

 

He exited the car feeling Luhan’s gaze on him the whole time,

 

“Don't be back late,” the General uttered. Minseok nodded but did not return that night.

 

 

-

 

 

Minseok was going through a quick briefing with his field officers when Luhan arrived the next day, the General had walked by them without a word eliciting questions from all who witnessed it.

 

“Did Jin Shàngwèi and Xi Èrjíjiàng have a disagreement?” one of the bolder ones dared to ask as Luhan entered Minseok’s office, shutting the door none too gently after himself. Minseok shrugged slightly in answer irritated at Luhan’s sulky attitude, he was not the one who slept in a chair last night and woke up with a sore neck. He ignored the other’s presence choosing to linger outside with the other officers pretending to oversee their work. He felt more than saw Luhan’s gaze on him as he moved around the office.

 

“Xiumin,” Minseok looked up from his conversation, Luhan was standing in his doorway arms crossed unhappily in front of his chest, “Come,” he said simply before disappearing back into Minseok’s office, closing the blinds. Minseok stubbornly took his time to wrap up his conversation with the officer before going to see Luhan.

 

Luhan was staring at the framed group photo of the Jilin base soldiers Minseok had on his wall when he entered. He closed the door waiting for Luhan to speak, he frowned when he remained silent.

 

“Xi Èrjíjiàng?” Luhan’s shoulder tensed at the formality, jaw clenching as he refrained from losing his cool.

 

“Yifan needs our help at his base with all the prisoners, we’ll leave in half an hour,” he told Minseok who nodded,

 

“Is that all?”

 

Luhan answered with a sharp nod,

 

“Alright Èrjíjiàng, I’ll go and prepare what we might need,” Minseok waited for further instructions but Luhan remained silent, Minseok held back his irritation at Luhan’s pettiness and bided him a polite goodbye as he left the room.

 

-

 

Yifan’s mood had not lifted the slightest from the previous day, if he noticed the distance between Minseok and Luhan he did not comment on it. He was after all Luhan’s opposite, he hated unnecessary drama while the other thrived on it.

 

 He led them through his central office frowning when he noticed his captain missing from his office. He continued towards the back of the building where the entrance to the basement was. The soldiers manning the door looked surprised when they saw the three approaching, they greeted them nervously. Yifan raised a brow at their unusual restless manner,

 

“Anything wrong men?” he queried guard raised, they shook their heads quickly stepping aside to let him through. Yifan’s nose wrinkled at the musty smell emitting from the staircase, he turned to the other two.

 

“We’re keeping a few here, the ones we think know most about the uprising,” he entered beckoning them to follow.

 

Minseok frowned as they descended the staircase; the condition of the place was appalling. It was cold, dark and reeked of filth, a place more fit for rodents than humans. He paled as he realized this was the very reason why they kept the prisoners here. He unintentionally let out a disgusted sound biting his tongue in punishment when Luhan glanced his way.

 

Yifan stopped at the base of the staircase. They were not alone.

 

"Shàngwèi," Yifan greeted eyes narrowed on Tao who was standing in front of a cell, "why are you down here?" He questioned, Luhan and Minseok sidestepped them to peer into the cell curiously. Minseok’s eyes met Junmyeon’s, he took a step back at the fire in them. One that was noticeably absent from them the previous day.

 

"Just checking up on this prisoner," 

 

"How accommodating, you even gave him water,"

 

They all glanced at the water by Junmyeon's feet, Minseok felt something click into place. He looked around inconspicuously almost groaning when he saw a shaking bundle in the opposite cell. The idiot! He thought before looking at Tao wondering how he was roped into bringing Kyungsoo to see Junmyeon.

 

"Of course, this prisoner could have useful information. He has to be kept alive," Tao replied reasonably, Yifan scoffed,

 

"You are not the only one that wants to keep him alive," he commented fortunately not noticing the sheep quilt shift in the other cell. Luhan, however, turned confused his mouth parted about to voice out the odd movement. Minseok grabbed his hand, diverting his attention.

 

"Xiumin ah, did you see-" 

 

"Xi Èrjíjiàng," he tugged Luhan's hand forcing the General in question to look at him, Luhan frowned at the formality question forgotten. Minseok knew exactly how to handle him,  "I feel slightly light-headed," he lied smoothly, expression contorting to mimic one of pain, "will you accompany me outside?"

 

Luhan nodded fervently, excusing himself and Minseok before dragging the other up the staircase. His grip on Minseok careful as he led them away from the basement.

 

"Was it something you ate? Or was it too stuffy in the basement?" Luhan questioned forgetting for a moment that he was supposed to be angry with Minseok. Minseok felt the corners of his lips curl upwards at the other’s worry. Luhan suddenly scowled, stopping as they exited the basement.

 

“You didn't eat did you? You probably stayed up all night as well!” He accused with a glare intimidating the guards, Minseok smiled making most of Luhan’s anger melt away.

 

“I didn't eat,” he admitted truthfully, “I didn't want to go eat dinner alone-“

 

“What about breakfast?” Minseok shook his head, Luhan’s eyes widened, “did you have anything to drink?” he shook his head again. Luhan looked as if he were suffering.

 

“Xiumin,” his tone was chiding, almost angry, “you’re always getting on my case when I skip meals-“ he paused pulling Minseok towards the exit, “We’re getting you food-“

 

“Yifan, needs our help-“ Minseok was cut off by Yifan himself who stomped out of the basement and passed them without a word.

 

“Doesn’t seem like he does,” Luhan commented frowning at Minseok. He was so focused on Minseok’s well being that he missed Kyungsoo darting out of the basement after Yifan. Minseok shook his head tiredly at the twos troublesome antics, Luhan misread the gesture as an answer to his words.

 

“Listen, we’re going home and you’re going to eat! No more work for you today,” he ordered. He strode off leaving Minseok no choice but to follow.

 

-

 

Minseok was bored, he had nothing to do after being banished to the room after a heavy lunch with Luhan. He laid on the bed willing for something interesting to happen. His prayers were answered in the form of the phone suddenly ringing, he jumped to answer it. It was Kyungsoo.

 

“Hello, little rat,” he said softly, he could hear Kyungsoo let out a confused noise.

 

“Rat?”

 

“I saw you earlier, sneaking around-“ Minseok paused eyes darting to the door, “Visiting people you were supposed to stay away from…” he trailed off suggestively, Kyungsoo was too quiet, barely reacting to his quip. His silence made Minseok feel uneasy.

 

“What have you done?” he asked apprehensive growing at the other’s hesitance.

 

“Nothing!” Kyungsoo squeaked quickly, “Yet.”

 

It was quiet again,

 

“Hyung, I need your help-“ Kyungsoo pleaded.

 

Minseok held back a groan as Kyungsoo confessed what he was about to do. Minseok frowned and asked Kyungsoo to repeat himself. He had known Kyungsoo was going to do something radical, but he had not expected the boy to go this far. If they failed they would be sent to prison and that was if they were lucky. He ran through Kyungsoo’s idea, mapping it out and questioning the probability of its success.

 

“Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked Kyungsoo, he himself hesitant, “to go behind Yifan’s back like this?”

 

It was quiet,

 

“He threatened to hurt Junmyeon, I can’t let it happen-“ Kyungsoo sounded conflicted but Minseok knew him well enough to know he’d go through with his plan. The boy was stubborn, Minseok sighed knowing he had to intervene to make sure everything went off without a hitch.

 

“And how do you propose getting Junmyeon out of the basement with highly trained soldiers on guard all night?” he asked Kyungsoo sighing again truly stressed out when the other remained silent, obviously not having thought his plan out thoroughly.

 

“I have just the thing to help you,” Minseok said having already thought of what to do when Kyungsoo was explaining his plan to him earlier on, “but you have to do exactly as I say,” he warned.

 

“Of course, hyung! Anything!” Kyungsoo replied eagerly, relieved that Minseok would help.

 

“Great, I’ll call you back.”

 

Minseok hung up and went to search for Luhan, the man was as he said he would be, in his office. He glared at Minseok when he entered the room.

 

“I told you to get some rest,” he said arms crossed unhappily in front of his chest,

 

“And I told you I was fine,” Minseok sat across Luhan, “I have a question for you,” he said quickly before Luhan could cut him off and order him to go back to his room. Luhan tilted his head slightly encouraging Minseok to continue.

 

“When you kidnapped me, you slipped something into my drink. What was it and where did you get it?”

 

Luhan’s frown deepened at the odd question,

 

“Are you planning to do the same to me?” he asked suspicious of Minseok’s intent,

 

“Of course not, it’s just always bothered me,” Minseok lied, he was not about to tell Luhan the plan. This would be exactly what Luhan feared he would do, Minseok’s stomach suddenly felt hollow. He had to remind himself that he was not betraying Luhan, he was helping set an innocent man free. And whilst it was unfair to the other prisoners, they were not in danger of facing Yifan’s wrath as Junmyeon was.

 

“So?” he prompted holding the guilt at bay,

 

“The local pharmacy, of course. My family’s doctor works there. I wouldn't put your life in danger.”

 

Minseok frowned,

 

“A doctor,” he emphasized the word, “gave you medication to sedate someone?”

 

“I told him I had trouble sleeping,” Luhan said dismissively, not even slightly guilty at lying to his doctor.

 

“Right,” Minseok said slowly, hoping he would be just as lucky as Luhan was with obtaining the drugs. He stood up,

 

“Well then I’m going to town,” he said quickly hoping Luhan wouldn't catch on,

 

“What? No!” Luhan made a move to stand, Minseok held out a hand stopping him.

 

“Luhan, please, I’m still hungry. I’m just going to get some food-“

 

“I’ll go with you-“

 

“You have work,” Minseok reminded him, Luhan let out a huff.

 

“I can finish it later,” he countered, Minseok shook his head.

 

“We both know if you stop now, I’ll be the one who ends up finishing your report,” his lower lip jutted out taking Luhan by surprise with his childlike action, “I was up all night doing work-“

 

“Fine!” Luhan cried as he gave up not wanting to hear the rest of Minseok’s cunning guilt trip, “go! Don't be back late,”

 

“I won’t,” Minseok replied unable to feel happy though he was victorious, “I’ll see you later.”

 

-

 

“-so you see, Sir, I don't want Luhan’s horse to be conscious when they let it down.”

 

Minseok put on his best miserable expression as he spoke to the doctor who was hanging on to every word, charmed by Minseok who had proven his closeness to Luhan. Family doctors always had a soft side for the children of the family’s they were caring for.

 

“His trainer said they need to put the horse down this afternoon, can you help me?”

 

The doctor was sympathetic, he nodded immediately agreeing with Minseok when he added that he thought it would be best to be taken in its powdered form,

 

“Of course, poor Luhan, you said he’s had the horse since he was a foal-“

 

“Yes, Sir, but please don't tell him. He doesn't know yet, I’ll break the news to him myself.”

 

Minseok lied smoothly silently apologizing to Luhan, his horse and the doctor, he squashed the guilt that was threatening to overpower him. He thought of Kyungsoo and Junmyeon instead, everyone would be fine. No one would get hurt.

 

He smiled politely as the doctor handed him the prescription, personally handing him the drugs as well. Minseok thanked him as he left. He glanced at his watch before crossing the street to the confectionary store that sold popular sweet buns.

 

“Can I have six trays of these buns?” he asked the storeowner whose eyes widened at the number,

 

“Six, Sir?”

 

“Yes, please.”

 

“Of course!” the thankful look on the woman’s face made the guilt Minseok felt lessen, he paid the woman gesturing for the soldiers who accompanied him to the market to bring the food to the car. He left the shop approaching the brewery next.

 

He asked the owner to open a barrel so he could taste it before engaging the man in useless conversation. By the time the man had resealed the barrel, the plastic in Minseok’s pocket no longer held the crushed drugs. Minseok grinned buying the barrel along with another. He exited the shop.

 

“Take this,” he specified passing the spiked barrel to a one soldier, “to Wu Èrjíjiàng’s central office along with half of the food, tell them it’s a token of appreciation for their hard work this week,” he told them turning to look at the setting sun.

 

“The other half, Shàngwèi?” one soldier asked gesturing to the other barrel.

 

“It’ll come with us of course,” Minseok grinned, mood somewhat lifting with the excitement of what was about to occur. 

 

-

 

“Messenger, Èrjíjiàng,” the soldier looked out of breath, Luhan put his chopsticks down looking slightly annoyed at being interrupted during breakfast.

 

“From?” he questioned,

 

“Wu Èrjíjiàng’s base,” the soldier answered meekly unable to meet Luhan’s glare, Luhan glanced at Minseok. His captain did not seem as surprised as he was,

 

“Let him in,” Luhan said admitting Yifan’s equally breathless soldier who greeted them.

 

“What is so important that Yifan could not tell me on the telephone?” Luhan asked interest piqued by the disheveled soldier, the soldier looked uncomfortable under their twin stares.

 

“Wu Èrjíjiàng was too furious to make the call,”

 

“I fail to see how its my fault, I haven’t done anything this time,” Luhan said quickly defending himself. The soldier shook his head.

 

“Not at you, Èrjíjiàng,” he amended, “one prisoner managed to escape-“

Luhan’s eyes widened at the news, it was unheard of for a prisoner to successfully escape from their hold. Especially from a main base, Luhan could sympathize with Yifan’s anger.

 

“-the one we believed had the most information on the uprising,”

 

“Kim Junmyeon?” Minseok asked feigning concern, the soldier nodded, “What’s the current status on locating him?”

 

“We’ve completely lost track of him, we believe he escaped during the night and has of now fallen of the grid. Nothing can be used to find him at this point. Wu Èrjíjiàng sent a few of us out to notify everyone to be on the lookout,” was the hopeless answer. Minseok lowered his gaze, hiding the triumphed flash in his eyes.

 

“How unusual,” he commented the corners of his lips curving slightly, “Did Wu Èrjíjiàng say if he was aided in his escape?”

 

The soldier looked more uncomfortable as the seconds passed, an embarrassed flush creeping up his neck.

 

“He thought it might have been Jing Xiu seeing as how he was quick to defend the prisoner in the courtyard, but it was ruled out. Jing Xiu has a fever and has been in bed since yesterday. The poor boy can barely speak-” he stopped abruptly realizing he was going off topic. Luhan nodded, expression thoughtful.

 

“Tell Yifan we’ll keep an eye out for him,” he told the soldier, he turned to Minseok once he left.

 

“Should we be worried?” he asked expression becoming troubled he was still tired from the uprisings they had to deal with, he did not need another person to be added to his list of worries. Minseok shook his head.

 

“Junmyeon is smart, he’ll stay away,” he looked at his watch realizing he had to meet Ran Shàngwèi in a few minutes.

 

“I will see you later, don’t forget you have a meeting with Hua Èrjíjiàng” he told Luhan, not noticing the contemplative look on the General’s face as he left.

 

-

 

Minseok chose to walk to his meeting place with the intent of simultaneously checking up on the town lining the border.

 

The town was bustling which was a good sign, it meant the people were confident enough to be out and doing business instead of staying holed up in their houses plagued by fear. A few boys brushed by him rowdily, they bowed in apology when he cleared his throat.

 

“Don’t go around causing trouble boys,” he said without heat, smile further softening his words.

 

“Yes, Shàngwèi,” they chorused before scuttling away quickly. A flyer caught his eye, he slowed his pace to take a quick look.

 

Third invasion

 

He averted his eyes quickly and forced himself to continue his journey. He kept his gaze straight trying to keep his mind clear, but it had of late been very rebellious.

 

‘Do you miss it?’ Kyungsoo’s question echoed in his head as he approached Ran Shàngwèi’s office. He gritted his teeth as Junmyeon’s face flashed through his head,

 

‘Jongin is safe-‘

 

 How was Junmyeon so sure? Minseok thought. If his cousin was safe, where was he? In-

 

“-Wèi! Jin Shàngwèi!” Minseok stopped at the yell, he turned facing the soldier that was chasing after him.

 

“You passed the office, Shàngwèi,” he informed Minseok gesturing down the path to the entrance that Minseok had passed.

 

“Oh-“ Minseok frowned, “Thank you,” he followed the soldier back, forcing out a laugh when Ran Shàngwèi about sleepwalking.

 

-

 

 

 “Are you feeling unwell? You’ve been more quiet than usual,” Ran Shàngwèi commented as they wrapped up their meeting.

 

“No, not at all,” Minseok tried to smile,

 

“Has Xi Èrjíjiàng been working you too hard? The men get worried when you spend nights at the office-“

 

Minseok found himself smiling for real this time at the genuine concern, it fell just as quickly when he realized he was deceiving them all. They were all worried for a fraud, Minseok shook his head trying to get rid of the toxic thoughts. It would do him no good.

 

“Ran Shàngwèi,” Minseok began, “You were part of the second invasion as a documenter, am I correct?” he asked carefully not wanting the other to raise any questions, Ran Shàngwèi nodded,

 

“Why did you go?” Minseok asked knowing with his ranking the other captain could have avoided going and putting himself in danger. Ran Shàngwèi’s face paled slightly with the question.

 

“Can I trust you Jin Shàngwèi?” Minseok nodded, Ran Shàngwèi hesitated expression betraying his worry. A few seconds passed before he started to talk.

 

“My wife is from the South, I went to make sure her family was safe,” he paused gauging Minseok’s reaction afraid the other would run out of the room and spread the news. Minseok remained in his seat.

 

“Were they fine?” Minseok asked instead surprising him, he nodded.

 

“They’re a family with a humble background, they pose no threat to the army. Thankfully.”

 

The relief on Ran Shàngwèi’s face filled Minseok with envy for a moment, envy that he could feel at ease with knowing his family was safe. The feeling subsided just as quickly, Ran Shàngwèi was a kind man. He had been nothing but helpful to Minseok, he was brave to join the second invasion when their hold on the South was still shaky and dangerous. Something dangerous swelled within him, he was determined. Determined to find out what was happening and finally feel at ease with everything. He hated feeling guilty that he was enjoying his time in China while his family could be suffering or worse- he pushed the thought away, rashly making a decision.

 

“How much time is left to volunteer for the next invasion?” he asked Ran Shàngwèi mind made up, the other captain frowned in thought.

 

“This is the last week if I’m not mistaken,” he answered, Minseok nodded glancing at his watch.

 

“I have to go,” he said as he stood, “thank you, Ran Shàngwèi.”

 

“Are you going to meet Xi Èrjíjiàng?”

 

Minseok paused, giving a curt nod as a reply before leaving. Ran Shàngwèi frowned unsure of why he did not believe him.

 

 

-

 

 

“Xiumin, you’re alone?” Xi Tèjíjiàng looked around for his son, it was an unusual sight to see Minseok on his own both in the past and present. There was a look in the young man’s eyes, one he could not decipher.

 

“I am,” Minseok was fidgeting, it was clear he was troubled by something. Luhan’s father gestured for him to follow him into the neighboring room where they could have some privacy. He shut the door urging Minseok to speak, the boy sat making the warlord tense up.

 

The look in Minseok’s eyes was suddenly very familiar, just as the scene unfolding in front of him was. There had only been a few times in which he had been alone with Minseok, one of which was eerily similar to today. The look in Minseok’s eyes was the same look the boy wore when he told him he wanted to return back to Korea all those years ago. Xi Tèjíjiàng prayed that he was mistaken this time.

 

“I-“ Minseok took a deep breath, “I need a favor.”

 

“You couldn't ask Luhan for this favor?” he jokingly asked Minseok trying to lighten up the mood, his hopes died when Minseok shook his head expression serious.

 

“I-“ Minseok’s voice trembled making Xi Tèjíjiàng anxious, “I want to join the next invasion,”

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I caught that-“

 

Minseok looked stricken at having to repeat himself again.

 

“I want to join the next invasion-“ he stood up suddenly restless, unable to remain seated. Too many thoughts were running through his head, he had to move, “and I need your approval so Luhan won’t be able to stop me.”

 

Xi Tèjíjiàng watched Minseok pace around, he was acting so unlike himself. Minseok was always composed and collected, ironically the perfect model soldier. Yet, here he was falling apart before him.

 

“I know it’s a lot to ask from you,” he mumbled, “but I need to go, it’s driving me mad not knowing what has happened to my family.”

 

Xi Tèjíjiàng thought of Luhan. Discouraged by the thought of how he would react to all of this, yet looking at Minseok now he found himself agreeing. Minseok looked as stunned by his agreement as he was.

 

“You’ll really help me?”

 

“I will.”

 

-

 

 

August 1951

 

 Minseok was still in the room when Luhan woke up, sitting silently by the window overlooking one of their yards. It had been this way for the past few weeks, Minseok would wait for Luhan to wake up with breakfast ready for them to eat together.

 

When Luhan had questioned his intentions initially suspicious, Minseok had merely replied that they needed a change in their routine. Luhan had let it drop then too happy with being waited on by Minseok that he did not notice the remorse that occasionally settled on Minseok’s face as he watched Luhan throughout the week.

 

Luhan got up slowly joining Minseok,

 

“Why do you wake up early on our days off?” he grumbled still tired, Minseok grinned at his grumpiness.

 

“Why waste the day? Our days off don’t come by often,” he reminded Luhan who shrugged unable to argue with him when he put it that way.

 

“What do you have planned today?”

 

“Do you want to go to the beach?” Minseok asked, “it’s not cold yet and it won’t be as hot as it would have been months ago,” they looked out of the window, sunshine seemingly agreeing with Minseok’s idea. Luhan grinned beyond excited at the plan, he could not remember the last time he had been to the beach.

 

“Lets!” he exclaimed suddenly energized, “we’ll leave immediately!”

 

“You haven’t even showered,” Minseok reminded him, Luhan waved his words away.

 

“I’ll be swimming anyway,” he said making Minseok’s face scrunch in disgust. Luhan huffed impatiently pulling Minseok to his feet.

 

“Hurry,” he urged, pushing him towards the door, “get everything ready while I change!”

 

Minseok let out a chuckle at Luhan’s excitement, he weighed his body down making it harder for Luhan to get rid of him. Luhan let out an annoyed sound digging his fingers into Minseok’s shoulder blades as punishment.

 

“Fine,” Minseok conceded shrugging out of Luhan’s grasp, “if you’re not down in fifteen minutes, I’m leaving without you.”

 

“Yes, yes, I know-“ Luhan pushed him through the doorway, “now go.”

 

He slammed the door in Minseok’s face before running towards the bathroom to get ready, he knew Minseok would never kid about time.

 

-

 

“They’ve been looking at you all morning,” Luhan commented testily as he glanced at the girls by the water, Minseok stopped cutting the watermelon he bought to follow Luhan’s slanted gaze.

 

His nose wrinkled at the blatant staring and giggling that followed,

 

“Not interested,” he replied attention back on the watermelon as he continued his slicing, he prided himself on the even and precise cuts.

 

“Good,” Luhan muttered making his hand slip, a slice came out uneven. Minseok cleared his throat,

 

“Why don't you go into the water, you’re starting to turn red again,” he said pretending he had not heard Luhan’s allusive comment.

 

“Speak for yourself,” Luhan said poking the skin on Minseok’s back, he flinched at the unexpected sting, “Your back is turning as red as a lobster,” he stood up grabbing Minseok by the arm and forcefully hauling him to his feet.

 

“Come,” he commanded as he tugged Minseok forward making him drop the knife in his hand.

 

“Luhan-“ he was about to scold the other, but a well placed slap against his back made him yelp in pain instead. He glared at the smug Luhan as the other manhandled him towards the water.

 

“Stop being a grouch!” Luhan cried out elated as they waddled into the water, he released Minseok when they were in waist deep, letting out a pleased hum as he sank into the cooling water. He grinned at Minseok who was watching him in silence. The glaring sunlight made his eyes almost seem dark and sad- Luhan’s grin fell.

 

“Are you-“ he never got to finish his sentence as Minseok grabbed him forcing his head under water.

 

He resurfaced spluttering to Minseok’s laughter, all traces of what Luhan had assumed was sadness gone from his expression.

 

“You’ll regret that,” he warned Minseok, smirking when the other started backing away still laughing at Luhan. The chase was short lived with both of them laughing too hard to run in the water properly, Luhan grabbed Minseok before happily returning the favour.

 

-

 

The two men returned to the base, burnt, sandy and in high spirits. They were welcomed by envious soldiers who made note to go to the beach on their off days as well once they saw their General’s good disposition.

 

“Good day, Èrjíjiàng?”

 

“The best,” Luhan answered mood light, “Any news while we were out?”

 

“None, Èrjíjiàng. It’s been a quiet day.”

 

“Good,” Luhan turned to the silent Minseok who had claimed he was exhausted after having to look after him all day, “do you want to use the shower in the room?”

 

Minseok shook his head sending sand everywhere, he grimaced at the mess.

 

“I’ll use the one next to ours,” he glanced at the clock, “I’ll see you at dinner,” he told Luhan before hurrying down the hallway to use the staircase towards the back of the house. His mood darkened considerably with every step he took. He entered the bathroom locking the door behind him quickly.

 

 It was silent, the only thing audible was Minseok’s breathing as it picked up, panic gripping him in an unrelenting chokehold. He leaned against the door willing himself to be quiet. The events and suppressed emotions of the past month caught up with him as guilt finally managed to get a hold of him. He sank down to the floor burying his face in his knees. He shut his eyes only to snap them open in distress as Luhan’s smiling face flashed through his head.

 

 A weird sensation assailed his body, a feeling akin to floating, but it was not the pleasant happy tingly type of floating one would associate with happiness. No it wasn’t. He felt as if he were drifting into oblivion with nothing to hold on to, nothing to anchor him down. His chest felt too full, too heavy yet it felt overwhelmingly hollow. His chest started to prickle uneasily as the sensation grew more agonizing by the second. It hurt just to breathe, his vision for a second in his panic. Minseok knew he was in danger of passing out, yet he refrained from calling out for help. No one could see him like this. Unbearable pain assaulted his whole body and a cry tried to fight its way out of him, he curled up into a ball biting his lip as he fought to keep it in.

Minseok was not sure how much time had gone by before something warm trickled down the side of his face breaking through his pain filled haze. His eyes shot open, he forced himself up into a sitting position. Struggling as his drained body threatened to give out on him. He lifted a hand to wipe his cheek, eyes widening when it came away with blood. His hand shook as it filled his mouth. He stood up unsteadily making his way to the sink, he kept his head lowered unable to look at his reflection as he cleaned his hand and mouth.  

 

“You can do this,” he whispered trying to ignore the blood dripping onto the white sink, the contrast burned his eyes. He shut them as his vision swam,  “you can do this Kim Minseok. There's no turning back now,” he leaned forward resting his head against the mirror wall, “it’s too late to back out now.”

 



A/N: Hey guys, sorry that I couldn't put this up last week. My housemates dragged me out to socialise and get some sun. Hope you enjoyed reading :) I haven't proof read this yet so sorry if they're any mistakes, I'll correct them as soon as I have time ^.^

Expect a bit of drama in the following chapter ;D