Part Two

Jin Shàngwèi

 A few days had passed since their quarrel and while Luhan saw him everyday after work, he did not try to engage in another conversation with Minseok. He knew Minseok well enough to know his attempts would either be futile or end up in more shouting and bruised hearts. Today, Luhan entered his room at lunch, maids in tow with a variety of dishes balanced on the trays they bore. Minseok watched in silence feeling his resolve crumble as mouthwatering dishes were lain down on the small table between the two men.

 As an act of rebellion towards Luhan he had not consumed any food during the week and had sent back untouched dishes to the kitchen. He felt it would be different today with his favorite dishes displayed enticingly in front of him, tempting him and his stomach. He reluctantly admitted to himself that if anyone knew him best, it was Luhan, if the food before him was anything to judge by. Luhan was completely still as he observed Minseok,

"Is it not to your liking? Would you like anything else?" He asked slowly tone uncharacteristically resigned as he looked over the dishes critically, "I have not drugged it, if that's what you fear,"

Something in Minseok's gut churned, he told himself it was hunger not guilt. It was hunger that made him reach out to the closest dish and it was the food that sated his uneasy heart and not the relieved look on Luhan's face as he started to eat. Luhan picked up his chopsticks and started to eat as well, movements slower than Minseok’s.

Minseok's brows furrowed as he studied the other as inconspicuously as he could. It was alarming at how much weight Luhan had lost in the span of a few days. His cheekbones were becoming more prominent and his pallor was unhealthy, even his sluggish movements were hard to look at without flinching. The man was sick and Minseok was not stupid, he knew it was entirely his fault. He knew Luhan did not sleep at night in fear that he would try to escape. Also due to Minseok being down with 'fever' Luhan had to cover his workload on top of his own. He looked away as Luhan glanced in his direction, eyes absent of their usual sparkle and instead framed by dark eye bags. Luhan set his chopsticks down barely eating anything, Minseok could not help the frown that made its way onto his face.

"Is that all you're having?" He asked surprising them both, it was hard to not worry for Luhan now that his earlier arrogance was gone. The Luhan sat before him was erecting red flags all across his radar.

"I ate earlier on," Luhan lied weakly, Minseok was about to call him out on his lie when he was interrupted by a loud knock on the door. Luhan looked baffled as it opened without announcement, a man strode in making the two get to their feet in respect. He shut the door behind him before facing the two solemnly, 

"Father," the expression on Luhan's face made Minseok feel uneasy, he looked afraid as he moved to stand between Minseok and his father.

"Why are you here?" 

"To see both you and Xiumin of course and to stop your madness before-"

"Father, no-"

"Luhan, enough! Xiumin may have followed your commands when you were teens, but this is different. You cannot abduct a man! You cannot always have what you want!" His words were not shouted, but to Luhan they were deafening.

"I can," Luhan’s voice shook alerting Minseok, the general had become a shade paler a feat Minseok did not currently think was possible, “Contrary to what you think I am not a child that you can easily order around anymore, I do not need to answer to you or anyone else! So if that was the only purpose of your visit you may leave.”

“Luhan,” his father was frowning, “do not make this personal,”

A crazed laugh left Luhan taking the other two men aback, all traces of fear gone from him in an instant. His laughter trailed off, expression darkening. His smile was almost sinister as he regarded his father, Minseok suppressed a shiver at the instantaneous change.

“Oh, father…” the look in his eyes was pitying, “this has always been personal.”

“You’re nothing but a spoilt brat! Treating Xiumin like a personal toy-“ his father had heard enough, Luhan’s eyes narrowed dangerously, “not everyone has time for you-“

“Obviously,” Luhan cut in calculatedly, temporarily stumping his father with a low blow. Minseok lowered his eyes, Luhan always knew where to hit with his words, there was no holding back in his attacks. He waved a hand in the air as if trying to get rid of an annoying pest, his walls were back up, “Don’t worry father, I’ve learned a long time ago that I was not worthy of your time or attention.”

His father flinched at the coldness.

“But don’t you dare come into my house and assume you have any hold over me. Tèjíjiàng? Father?” Luhan scoffed, “These mean very little to me-“

He leaned forward placing his shaking palms on the edge of the table to support himself and cover up the fact that he was swaying, Minseok moved closer on instinct as the father and son continued to argue. Xi Tèjíjiàng turned his attention to Minseok when he realized Luhan would not be persuaded in his current state.

"Xiumin, I will stop Luhan-" Luhan was outraged, betrayed by his father’s adamant opposition, "you may leave if you wish, I will-" the War Lord was cut off by Luhan pulling the table cloth away from the table in an angry swipe, sending all the dishes crashing to the ground.

Minseok jumped backwards to avoid the flying pieces of broken glass, Luhan remained in his spot chest heaving with both fury and exertion. Minseok glanced at the door wondering why no one had come in to check on them, Luhan’s whole body was trembling with rage.

"Why do you do this to me father? Why did you do nothing to stop me before this? Why is it only now when I finally have Xiumin by my side that you decide to stop me? Why can’t you let me just have this? Am I not allowed to be happy?” His shout was followed by silence, his eyes seeked his father’s demanding an answer.

“Is this because I made mother sick? Because my existence made her weak?” Luhan took a step back anger ebbing away into true remorse, his father recoiled stunned by Luhan’s harsh assumptions. “Is this my punishment for what I did to mother? You’ll take away Xiumin..."

He trailed off breath stuttering, Minseok and his father's eyes widened at the strip of blood that ran down Luhan's philtrum. He swayed again this time almost falling over as his eyes fluttered shut. Minseok rushed forward bending down to pick up the discarded table cloth and press it against Luhan's nose, he lead the faint Luhan to a chair.

"You fool," he whispered angrily before striding to the door startling the guard coming down the hallway when he opened it. 

"Where is Xi Èrjíjiàng's medication?" He barked, worry making him angry. The guard backed up threatened at Minseok's appearance.

"Medication, Shangwéi?” Minseok took a deep breath, trying to calm himself to no avail. The poor soldier didn't deserve his anger, Luhan did.

"For his anemia, find it." He managed to finally say without raising his voice.

The guard rushed off returning a few minutes later, Minseok took the medication shutting the door in the poor soldier's face. He marched over forcing the pills into a dazed Luhan's hands, he took them without any objection. Minseok shook his head angrily muttering profanities under his breath,

“Who the hell thought it was a good idea to allow you to man a base? You’re obviously incapable! You can barely even look after yourself!” Luhan took Minseok’s insult in stride remaining silent as his father stood in the middle of the room awkwardly watching them, not knowing what to do.

"Get some rest," he finally said, his lecture could wait for later. He was sure Luhan would get an earful from Minseok anyway. Luhan shook his head eyes darting to Minseok worried. 

"I won't leave, get some rest," he said hesitantly, Luhan did not look convinced.

"You promise?" 

"I do," Minseok gazed pointedly at the bed, Luhan got the message but had to be assisted energy drained from his mini hate tirade earlier. Minseok helped him get onto the bed carefully tucking him in so he wouldn't roll off in his sleep. Once Luhan was taken care off, Minseok went back to the door asking the stationed soldier to call in a few maids to clear up the mess Luhan made. They did as they were told without a word or question as to what had happened and left as soon as they were done. Minseok stared at the shut door dejectedly before turning to Luhan's father, who wore a similar expression. 

"Xi Tèjíjiàng," he addressed the man politely as he gestured for him to take a seat, the man did wearily. They both glanced at Luhan who had fallen asleep, no doubt exhausted beyond measure.

"Xiumin, I really won't ask you to stay-" his eyes though mirrored Luhan's when he was trying to be selfless, "I can get you on the first boat or plane out, just say the word." 

Minseok's eyes darted to Luhan again, anyone with eyes could see he was concerned at the state the other had let himself fall to.

"It's fine, I'll look after him- he had no right to bring you here against your will. He will hate me for doing this, but it will subside, hopefully." 

Minseok chewed on his lower lip in thought, 

"Xi Shūshu," he finally said torn with himself, barriers unable to hold against the man who had done so much for him, "I- I cannot bring myself to leave-" 

"Xiumin, in all honesty I would be in your debt if you stayed-" he gestured at Luhan, "he's not been himself since you've left and from what I've seen you two still respond well to each other. You'll be a formidable team-" Minseok tensed up at the mention of the army, something that wasn't missed by Xi Tèjíjiàng.

"Luhan has not told you of what his troop do, has he?" He asked Minseok who shook his head. "His troops defend the Jilin border, he, along with Wu Erjijiang’s troops are only active in securing the borders. They don't partake in any attacks; they're solely here for protection. Luhan had no part in the invasion, he specifically requested for his troops to be a part of the defense not attack."

"Protection?" Minseok's temple throbbed irritatingly; he had jumped to a conclusion. Luhan would have probably told him if he had bothered to listen and didn't blow up on him at any conversation attempts.

"Yes, protection." He confirmed before shaking his head with a sigh, "I apologize on my son's behalf, but I will not lie I am glad you're here and safe,"

Minseok smiled weakly at him,

"I guess I should be thankful," he admitted tentatively, "I will do my best," he inclined his head in respect. Xi Tèjíjiàng's smile was thankful, burden lessened instantly at Minseok’s acceptance.

"I have no doubt you will, I can rest now knowing you're by my foolish Luhan's side.” His smile was sincere and without worry, “Welcome home, Xiumin,"

Minseok felt tears prickle the back of his eyes as he smiled back moved by Luhan's father's genuine kindness towards him. Somethings would never change, he realized as he slipped into an easy conversation with Luhan’s father.

 

   -

 

 Luhan couldn't move, it took him a few seconds to realize that his movements were restricted due to a heavy blanket tucked around him. The room was dark despite the open curtains making Luhan wonder how long he had been asleep. He looked around jolting up when he saw he was the only occupant in the room, he pushed down the wave of dizziness that hit him from getting up too fast. It took a few seconds to get free from the blankets, panic causing him to be uncoordinated. He rushed to his door not caring of his disheveled appearance, the soldiers stationed by the door gaped in shock. The General had always looked well kept even on his days off, his father had made sure of it. 

"Where is Xiumin?" He demanded ignoring their astonished looks,

"In your office, Èrjíjiàng. Jin Shangwéi, has been in there since Xi Tèjíjiàng left," 

"In my office?" Luhan repeated in disbelief, "why?" He asked uncomprehending of how Minseok was still here. He was sure the other had fled while he was asleep.

"He said he felt fine and needed to catch up on all the work he missed,"

Luhan nodded albeit stupidly before rushing to his office. Every soldier his passed looked puzzled one even stopping to tell him that Minseok had told everyone he was feeling unwell and to send him back to his room if they saw him. Luhan had waved the soldier away insisting he was fine before continuing on to his office impatient.

He opened the door only to stop and stand in the doorway in awe, Minseok sat in his seat fully uniformed as he frowned over a file in his hand. The other gave no inclination that he saw or heard Luhan come until he spoke up,

"Your appearance is appalling, what type of general are you?" He lifted his eyes to Luhan's bed hair pointedly, Luhan took a step forward uncertainly.

"Are you really staying? This isn't a cruel joke, is it?" He asked unable to believe Minseok would stay with the way he acted towards him, Minseok finally put the file down.

"Your organization skills are terrible, it took me two hours to find your first file. How are you going to defend a country like this?" He said instead tone chiding, Luhan made his way to the table albeit shakily,

"Are you really staying?" He repeated voice wavering, Minseok sighed at the telltale tears gathering in Luhan's eyes.

"Yes," the reluctance was still there, but Luhan didn't care as he circled the table to stand in front of Minseok. The latter got off his chair side stepping Luhan to put away the file he was reviewing. He had just taken a few steps when Luhan grabbed him, tugging him backwards. Minseok stumbled into Luhan’s chest caught by surprise. Luhan wrapped his arms around Minseok’s midsection holding him in place.

“Luhan?” Minseok’s tone was cautious as his eyes darted to the door, wary that someone might walk in and get the wrong idea. He tried prying Luhan off but the other really wasn't kidding when he had told Minseok he had changed, he was strong despite his earlier weakness during the day.

“I’m sorry,” Luhan mumbled into Minseok neck eliciting goosebumps along the skin there, Minseok’s hands stilled over Luhan’s at the sincere apology.

 “I can’t even begin to explain how sorry I am, Minseok,” the use of his real name tugged at his reluctant heart, he listened patiently to the hushed and rapid apologies that followed. He rubbed circles onto the back of Luhan’s hand waiting until he became quiet,

"I still haven't forgiven you," he told Luhan who nodded understandingly, nose brushing against Minseok’s hair softly, "I'm just here to thwart all your plans," 

Luhan released Minseok, cheeks dusting red as the other turned back to look at him. Minseok held back his grin as Luhan shuffled from left to right embarrassed by his actions.

"We don't attack or invade. The only reason I was in the South was to make sure you came back home," the implied 'to me' was left unsaid, "I would never do that, I would never hurt you intentionally. I'll make it up to you Xiumin, I swear I will! No matter how long it takes!" 

"I know you don't attack," Minseok replied choosing not to address Luhan's strong desire to obtain his forgiveness, "your father explained everything to me."

"He did?" Luhan looked surprised, Minseok nodded.

"He did," he brushed Luhan's fringe unable to resist, "now make yourself presentable, you're a disgrace!" 

For the first time in a long while, Luhan smiled openly. Happiness sincere and not just something for show.

"Yes, Jin Shangwéi! Whatever you command!" Minseok punched his shoulder fighting his own smile.

"Stop being childish," he muttered, Luhan shook his head eyes becoming serious, 

"My troops are at your disposal, as I am," Minseok felt something flutter in his chest.

You're hungry,’ he told himself trying to believe it, he grabbed his cap, "let's dine out, I expect the best cuisine since you ruined our lunch earlier," he said, a flush crept up Luhan's neck contrasting with his white collar at the embarrassing reminder. 

"I will pay for everything!" He declared eager to remain on Minseok's good side.

Minseok watched him with a small smile as Luhan barked out harried orders to passing soldiers. Granted he was still angry that Luhan had taken him against his will, but he had seen reason and understood the other did so only because he cared. Just like that, everything fell into place, as if him returning to China was meant to be.

It was hard to believe, with the childlike excitement bursting from Luhan, that so many years had passed. That so many years had passed with them being apart, there was a lot they needed to talk about and more things that needed to be sorted out. Luhan turned catching his eye and stilling him of his worries, Minseok grinned back elating the general, the sparkle was back in his eyes and for now that was all Minseok needed. 

 

-

 

Minseok glanced out of the window thoughts wandering as he caught sight of the autumn leaves, it had been almost a month now since he had accepted the captain position Luhan had so graciously offered him. It didn't take long for him to assimilate back into the army environment and while he easily won over the men he commanded there was still something that bothered him. Something he knew others spoke of and wondered about.

He placed his pen down waiting for Luhan to take notice of him, it didn't take long before Luhan paused his reading to shoot Minseok a questioning look.

“What’s wrong? Did I make a mistake in the proposal? Do I need to add anything?”

Minseok waited patiently for Luhan to end his usual onslaught of unnecessary questions. He took a deep breath in preparation of the argument he was sure to come,

“Can I have my own room?” he asked holding Luhan’s gaze a sign that showed he wanted to be taken seriously, the other man’s nose wrinkled as he frowned.

“Denied,” Luhan replied without a thought. Minseok’s lips pursed,

“Come on, Luhan. It’s weird, two grown men sharing a room… What would everyone else think?”

Luhan rolled his eyes, clearly thinking the topic of the conversation was useless.

“You should know that I don't care about what other people think, they can go stuff their concerns elsewhere.” He said making sure to use polite words, he didn't need Minseok grilling him for his crude language on top of their current conversation.

“Luhan-“

“I don't care!” Luhan cut in voice raised, expression annoyed. Minseok fell silent at the anger, slightly threatened. Luhan regretted his outburst when he saw Minseok shrink away from him, he sighed leaning back in his chair.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized, Minseok would not meet his eyes.

“You don't trust me,” he accused brows furrowed upset at the thought, Luhan groaned in frustration.

“This isn’t about trust, Xiumin,” Minseok looked at him skeptically not buying anything he said.

“Really then? So if I asked you if I could go out tonight,” he paused, “unescorted,” he added pointedly enjoying the way Luhan’s expression darkened, “you would say yes?”

“Denied,” was Luhan’s flat answer.

“Luhan!”

“What?”

Minseok could only laugh in disbelief at Luhan’s absurd attitude.

“Are you serious? You’re acting like a child.”

As soon as the words left his mouth he realized his mistake. Luhan tensed at the reminder of his argument with father. He refused to reply to Minseok stubbornly pretending to reread his work, although they both knew he was faking it.

It was silent, Minseok studied Luhan expression thoughtful.

“You should apologise to your father,” he finally said making the general look up lips almost forming a pout,

“No,” was the petulant reply, Minseok raised a brow.

“It wasn't a suggestion,” he said standing up to retrieve a book he needed from the shelf,

“But-“ Luhan was about to protest on the many reasons on why he should not apologise, but fell silent at Minseok’s glare.

“Luhan,” his tone bore warning, he didn't want to argue anymore today tired of Luhan’s extreme mood swings. He hated feeling afraid of the other.

Luhan huffed making Minseok wonder how in the world did he feel so threatened by this man-child. Luhan was still the same, he still demanded undivided attention and he still expected everyone to do his bidding.

Minseok’s nose wrinkled at the memory of the two fighting over who got to sleep on the bed a week prior. Minseok would usually avoid unnecessary confrontations, but if they had to share a room he sure as hell was not going to sleep on the floor. Luhan had unwillingly lost the argument to Minseok and was now confined to sleeping on the mattress on the floor. Something he moaned about everyday until Minseok threatened to transfer to another base.

“I don’t see why I should apologise, “ Luhan began putting aside the document in his hand, “he doesn’t care,”

“You know that’s not true,” Minseok said gently, Luhan’s lips puckered stubbornly.

“I don’t care,” he finally said, “I only need you,”

Minseok felt his breath catch at the earnest look in Luhan’s eyes, it would never fail to take him by surprise on how easily Luhan would admit to his dependency on him. His honesty with his feeling left Minseok flustered more than it should have. He felt his stomach twist at the thought of Luhan being like this with someone else. He turned his body, hiding the sadness that had settled on his face. 

“That isn’t true either,” he said, voice coming out in a half whisper.

“It is,” Luhan answered, Minseok could feel his eyes on him, “I only need you,” the conviction in his voice was strong, “I only need you and you-“ Luhan paused making Minseok look back at him curiously, “you only need me.”



A//N: Passing to drop off another crappy chapter again although I'm supposed to be working on one of my final papers which is due tomorrow ;') Procrastination is strong within my soul! So basically Luhan is a child in a man's body, nothing new XD will be back to edit later on, Ciao!!