Part Eight

Jin Shàngwèi

 

Luhan had a spent a week at his father’s base before he was kicked out, his father grumbling about how it was humiliating for him to have to go and pick up all Luhan’s work for him like some kind of postal service worker.

Truthfully, Luhan was itching to return to his base. He had already run through different scenarios in his head of how he would approach Minseok. While he had not forgiven him, they still needed to work together. It was with this thought running through his head that he finally mustered up the courage to return and face Minseok.

The first thing Luhan noticed upon entering their room was that his mattress on the floor was missing, he backtracked into the hallway with a frown.

 

“Where is my mattress?” he asked slowly.

 

“We were told you would not be needing it, Xi Èrjíjiàng-”

 

Luhan took a calming breath to prevent himself from cursing out loud, was Minseok so convinced Luhan would not return? How dare-

 

“-Since Jin Shàngwèi has moved into the barracks, he himself told us to take it away-“

 

“What?” Luhan’s tone silenced the soldier who lowered his gaze immediately, convinced that if he looked into the General’s eyes he would turn into stone.

 

“Which zone?” Luhan asked barely getting the words out in his fury towards the news presented to him.

 

“T3, Xi Èrjíjiàng.”

-

 

Luhan strode into the foyer, sending all the men present flying to their feet in a flustered greeting.

 

“Who is in charge?”

 

“I am, Xi Èrjíjiàng. How may I assist you?”

 

Luhan approached the man who had spoken, moving them away from the other men and listening ears.

 

“It has come to my attention that Jin Shàngwèi, resides here,” he began trying to sound nonchalant as he started his questioning.

 

“Yes, he requested to move in, in order for him to be able to create a bond with the men he will be leaving with,” the man confirmed, “This barrack houses all those leaving for the next invasion from our base,”

 

Luhan nodded slowly as he took in the information,

 

“Does he have his own room?” he asked, he would wait for Minseok there. The lieutenant in charge shook his head, unconsciously smiling.

 

“He refused it, he demanded to be with everyone else-“ The clear admiration in his tone grated at Luhan’s nerves. He cut the man off before he could continue, he did not need to hear how Minseok had managed to secure their affection as well.

 

“I see, where is my captain at present?”

 

“The whole platoon is scheduled for a drill run with Ming Èrjíjiàng troops down in the valley, they will only be back by nightfall.”

 

The little bit of bravery Luhan had mustered up on the way there stared to dwindle.

 

“I see, well… I won’t take up any more of your time,” he turned about to leave but was stopped by a question.

 

“Would you like me to tell Jin Shàngwèi you came by?”

 

“No.”

-

 

The terrain to the valley was rough and Luhan felt an imminent headache approaching as he was tossed to and fro in his seat during the journey. The car finally came to a halt making him open his eyes, he frowned at the bland scenery. Surely this was not the valley? His driver looked back at him almost grimacing when he saw Luhan’s displeased expression.

 

“The road ahead is too steep, Xi Èrjíjiàng,” he explained regretfully, it was silent as he awaited Luhan’s orders. Luhan opened his door making his driver scramble out of the car to attend to him. Luhan scowled as the midday sun blinded him,

 

“I will make the rest of the journey on foot, you stay here.”

 

His driver bit his lip at the protest he wanted to make, Luhan had made it clear it was not a request but an order. He could only watch silently as Luhan climbed the path leading to the valley.

 

Luhan was a mess as he reached the top of the valley, he wiped the sweat on his face only slightly thankful that the valley was situated between hills and not mountains. He glared in the direction of the resting soldiers down in the valley trying to seek out Minseok. He found him by three young men who seemed upbeat despite their haggard appearance, no doubt from the drills they were previously performing before their lunch break.

 

Luhan felt his blood freeze as he caught sight of Minseok’s expression. He was grinning, Luhan felt his fingers dig into his palms as he fought the urge to stride over and wipe the grin of his face. His eyes followed Minseok, expression one of disbelief. Minseok looked fine. He was fine. Luhan felt his anger spike, betrayed by what he saw. He scoffed at his stupidity, at the little bit of hope he had that maybe Minseok felt as miserable as he did. He should have known he was the only one suffering from their separation. He took a step back forcing himself to turn and walk away as his vision swam. He would not stay and be made a fool of again.

 

-

 

Minseok lifted his head feeling the sudden urge to look up, he frown as he caught sight of a sole man standing on top of the valley. He tried to make out the man’s ranking but was forced to blink when the sun distorted his vision, by the time his eyes adjusted to the blinding light the man was gone. There was a weird tug on his heart as he stared at the now empty space.

 

“-Jin Shàngwèi?”

 

“Sorry?” Minseok returned his gaze to the soldier that had addressed him, the soldier seemed worried which in turn made his two friends worry as well.

 

“I asked if you were alright, Shàngwèi. You seem to be in pain-“

 

Minseok smiled trying to ease their worries.

 

“I’m fine,” he lied, they nodded believing him. Minseok’s smile wavered, Luhan would have caught onto the lie. He shook his head trying to suppress the childish thoughts, it was no use to think of him now.

 

-

 

Luhan never did seek Minseok out after the day in the valley, it was immature but he was known for his grudges and he was not about to make an exception for Minseok. Not anymore. The unfortunate Ran Shàngwèi had to be the middleman between the two, passing work related messages that tied up loose ends while having to simultaneously pretending that nothing was amiss. That he did not see the hurt expressions on the General and Captain’s faces when it was him that greeted them and not the other. He shook his head helplessly knowing that pride would keep them away from each other.

 

-

 

November 1951

 

It was finally time to leave for the South and Minseok had returned to the main manor after weeks of avoiding it. He knew Luhan would not send him off and so he had gone to Luhan’s office despite knowing his presence would not be received well. He had to say goodbye even if Luhan refused to hear it, the times were unpredictable and Minseok did not want to leave without a word. He refused to leave with more regrets than he currently had. He clutched the book he was holding to his chest as he entered Luhan’s office. As expected Luhan was there bent over his table, not even looking up to acknowledge Minseok’s entrance.

 

“I’ll be going now,” Luhan acted as if he had not heard, he signed the document in his hand before putting it to the side. He reached for the next file. Minseok felt his heart sink, he placed the item in his hand on the edge of Luhan’s table and took a quick step back as his hands shook. They were itching to reach out to Luhan, to apologise, to beg- He took another step backwards putting space in between them, hoping it would help calm him and keep the dangerous thoughts he had at bay.

 

“Take care of yourself,” he finally managed to say as he paused in the doorway, Luhan remained unmoved. Minseok blinked the tears in his eyes away,

 

“Goodbye,” he whispered.

 

Luhan’s fingers curled around the file in his hand, by the time he looked up Minseok was already gone.

 

An order rang out in the air outside of Luhan’s window before shouts of farewells broke out from the courtyard, a custom when sending off someone of high rank. Luhan stood up running to the window just in time to see Minseok board a truck. His throat constricted as it forced out the goodbye Minseok would never hear.

 

-

 

Night had fallen by the time Luhan had finally decided he was done for the day, he stood up hand knocking over a book on the edge of his table. He let out a surprised sound as he saw the yearbook, when had it been placed there? He bent over to pick it up.

 

Luhan frowned at the state it was in, it was brand new. This was not his yearbook copy. He flipped it open immediately pausing at the jagged, torn page that greeted him. The page with his photo was ripped out, yet like his, this yearbook also had a message written across Minseok’s page. The ink looked so fresh, Luhan was afraid that if he ran his finger across it, it would smudge. He glanced at the message, heart sinking slowly as he read it.

 

Luhan, you were right. I am a coward and I am running away. As I always do, as I did all those years ago. I’m tired of making excuses and you have the right to know why I reacted the way I did. We were young and I was scared, I still am. After everything that happened to us, I wanted us to both have great futures and fear forced me to believe it would never happen if we were together. I was so stupid then, now all I can see is us together. I dread being apart-

 

Minseok’s orderly handwriting slipped from its rigid and orderly form becoming more harried as if reflecting its owner’s mood-

 

I don't want to go Luhan, I don't, I don't-

 

Luhan shut the book, he had to stop reading. His eyes stung as he forcefully kept his tears at bay. He knew Minseok only repeated himself when he was anxious. He placed the book down with a heavy heart, missing the confession in Minseok’s last line.



A/N: Hey guys!!! Thank you all for being so patient with my inconsistent updates (sorry!!) and thank you for the warm welcome back!!!! It feels great to be back writing :) Hope you all enjoyed the chapter, I'll be back to edit any mistakes later on.