Part Three

Jin Shàngwèi

 

 

August 1950

 

Minseok clucked his tongue at Luhan's wayward appearance as said man entered his office, he could feel the excitement emitting from the other and knew immediately he would not be able to get any work done in the next few minutes. He sat his papers down with a small sigh, looking at Luhan who was waiting for his full attention like the child he was.

 

"Yes?" He prompted before wrinkling his nose at the stray straw in Luhan's hair, "did you fall asleep in the stable?" He asked knowing the other had a useless cavalry practice earlier on with the other generals.

 

"No!" Luhan denied quickly looking far too defensive to be believable, "enough about me! Do you remember Yifan?" Minseok frowned deeply in thought, a vague perpetually unimpressed face came to his mind with the name.

 

"Wu Yifan? The pompous kid from Guanzhou Military Academy? The kid who sneered at us every time we had joint school trips?" 

 

Luhan's eyes sparkled as an impish smile settled on his face,

 

"Yes him, the one and only!"

 

"What about him?" Minseok asked dutifully, knowing he had to play along in order to avoid Luhan’s childish wrath.

 

"He has a consort! A male consort!" Luhan almost squealed as he delivered the hottest, current piece of gossip among the army men, he frowned seconds later when Minseok didn't react. Minseok arranged the items on his desk unfazed by the scandalous piece of news.

 

"And?"

 

"And?!" Luhan cried scandalized that Minseok didn't care, "Wu Yifan hates everything that breathes Xiumin! He hates his own father! Now he has a consort! A 'male' consort!"

 

"So his consort is probably just there as a-" Minseok paused nose wrinkling in disgust at the thought, "relief,"

 

"Nooooo!" Luhan shook his head vehemently, "I overheard the stable boys talking-"

 

"You eavesdropped on the stable boys?" Minseok cut in enjoying Luhan's wounded look,

 

"That's not the point!" He said frustrated with Minseok’s teasing, "apparently his consort is really pretty and Yifan spoils him. They were seen having lunch earlier and they said that it looked like Yifan wanted to maim his captain, Zitao for complimenting his precious Jing Xiu. Some say they even saw him laugh at something the boy said but I doubt that's true-" Luhan said all in one breath waving a hand in the air, "I don't think Yifan knows how to laugh." 

 

Minseok could not help but chuckle at Luhan’s prejudice,

 

"Well maybe he's finally found someone that he likes," he said with a small shrug, "everyone deserves happiness, even Wu Yifan." 

 

Luhan finally sat down no longer b with the energy he entered the office with, he tilted his head slightly expression contemplative,

 

"Now I'm eager to see what this Jing Xiu looks like," he said, "the boy who appeared out of nowhere to wrap Wu Yifan around his finger,"

 

"Appeared out of nowhere?" Minseok inquired brows furrowing as Luhan’s words caught his interest, Luhan nodded absentmindedly. Minseok brushed the weird feeling away, there was no way he thought, absolutely no way. 

 

                                   

-

 

 

Yifan was running late again, he was lucky the meeting only consisted of Hua Erjijiang, Luhan  and their main captains. Minseok kept the conversation flowing as Luhan quietly fumed at his side angered by Yifan’s unprofessional behavior.

 

A few more minutes passed in light conversation before the doors opened and Zitao bowed in apology citing a reason for their tardiness, Yifan strolled in ignoring Luhan’s glare. Hua Erjijiang smiled good-naturedly gesturing for the two newcomers to sit,

 

“Shall we start?” Luhan and Minseok nodded simultaneously making Tao freeze in the doorway, they turned to him completely in time with each other. Twin frowns on their faces as they noticed him still standing.

 

“Are you not joining?” they inquired once again in sync, Tao felt goosebumps rise along his arms, even Yifan’s brows furrowed at the oddity.

 

Tao slipped into the room all the while keeping his attention on Luhan and Minseok, not even realizing that the meeting officially started. It was eerie, Zitao thought to himself at how much in sync they were with each other. Everything from a tilt of the head to a hand gesture was done in complete harmony with each other, Tao felt himself move further from the unnatural duo threatened by their abnormal behaviour.

 

Luhan swept a hand across the table as he explained something to Hua Erjijiang, his fingers brushed against his coffee mug carelessly but before it could fly off the table and create a mess, Minseok’s hand wrapped around it expression calm as if it were a natural occurrence to predict a flying object and stopping them. Tao glanced at Yifan who was frowning at Minseok, he relaxed slightly glad to know he wasn't the only one unsettled with the duo.

 

“So the Kilin border-“

 

“Jilin,” Luhan and Minseok corrected simultaneously making Tao almost whine in frustration.

 

 

-

 

 

"Men!" Luhan hollered as he entered the central office looking a funny sight as he tried to look stern while holding a paper bag in his hand, they all stood up at attention minus Minseok who merely raised a brow from behind his office's window. 

 

"We're going to town!" The men fought the grins trying to make their way onto their faces at the announcement of their day outside the base, "there will a combat trade and Wu Èrjíjiàng is eager to challenge us," Luhan grinned at the name of his rival, "I say we go and ruin his day," 

 

"Let's ask for his consort when we win!" A soldier joked making the others laugh and throw in their own ridiculous demands as well, Luhan left them to talk to Minseok.

 

"Did you hear?" Luhan asked, 

 

"How could I not, your yelling would raise the dead."

 

Luhan pouted at the jibe before grinning once again,

 

"Here," he said sliding the paper bag to Minseok, Minseok could tell from the smell it was his favorite street food. He narrowed his eyes immediately suspicious of Luhan’s true intent.

 

"Will you fight for me?" The general asked expectantly,

 

"Certainly not, I'll not benefit," Minseok replied instantly, Luhan looked as if he was going to start to sulk

 

"But you'll win, then we can demand Yifan's consort! Can you imagine his face?"

 

Minseok tutted disapprovingly, 

 

"Don't you think that's cruel?"

 

"Oh, come on, Xiumin," Luhan said on the verge of whining,

 

"I will go with you, but I will not fight," Minseok said tone resolute and making Luhan back down with a sigh,

 

"Fine," he nudged the paper bag closer to Minseok, "take a break, I know you haven't eaten."

 

-

 

 

Everyone doubled their pace as they tried to keep up with the grinning Luhan, Minseok scowled as he huffed.

 

"Slow down Èrjíjiàng," he managed to say with forced politeness, "the event will not start without us." 

 

Luhan continued on as if he did not hear Minseok even going as far as to tell everyone to hurry, Minseok snorted as Luhan stumbled in his haste, loosing face for a second. He shot a glare at Minseok who shrugged in return, 

 

"Do not say I did not warn you," Luhan merely grunted before continuing to the platform reserved for them, it seemed Yifan was already here. Minseok watched as the other general glanced behind him, prompting the person behind him to step forward. Slightly petite for a man with soft facial features, naturally wide eyes and lips Minseok knew would form a heart if they smiled. Minseok could not believe his eyes, Yifan's famed consort was Kyungsoo.

 

Minseok's posture turned rigid, shock etched across his face as he took in the two men together on the opposite dais. Luhan placed a hand on his shoulder concerned.

 

“Xiumin?” Minseok was brought out of his stupor, thousands of thoughts immediately running through his head. 

 

"I will fight for you," he announced suddenly determined, "let me fight," he turned to Luhan eyes pleading for his approval. Luhan frowned, 

 

"Of course, I have no doubt you will be victorious, but why?"

 

"I want Yifan's consort," Luhan's eyes widened, "just for a few days," he amended once he realized the other was stunned by his demand, Luhan looked torn.

 

"Xiumin, I was fooling around earlier-"

 

"Luhan, please," Luhan gritted his teeth unable to deny Minseok, not when it was so obvious of what he wanted, he gave his captain a curt nod. He pulled his hand away from Minseok's  shoulder and stepped onto the raised platform in front of them.

 

A trumpet blew loudly, Luhan arranged his face into a grin when he spotted Yifan. Yifan sighed stepping forward while pushing his consort back gently into the shade. Luhan noted this action with interest.

 

"Long time no see, Yifan!" He called out cheerfully knowing it would annoy the other, Yifan's face twisted unimpressed. 

 

"Are you here to challenge me, Xi Luhan?" Yifan said straight to the point, Luhan's lower lip jutted out,

 

"So cold," he commented airily side glancing at Minseok whose eyes were trained on Yifan's consort, something in his gut churned dangerously as his own eyes flicked to the young man standing beside Yifan. The smile slipped off his face, "I'm sure it was you who wanted to challenge me, send your fighter out,"

 

Yifan's consort moved to stand slightly behind Yifan as Luhan's eyes continued to assess him wondering what Minseok wanted with him, Yifan urged Tao forward with a tilt of his head commanding Luhan's attention back to the ring. Luhan pursed his lips together knowing Tao was Yifan's best fighter. 

 

"How unfair," he lamented as Tao took a step forward, "what is your condition?" Yifan smirked oozing confidence,

 

"When Zitao wins you give me fifty of your men, I get to select whomever I please," 

 

Luhan scoffed turning his head to look at his men, eyes locking with the suddenly confident looking Minseok.

 

"You're that confident?" He asked Yifan who nodded arrogantly in reply. Luhan smiled,

 

"Fine, a battle of Captains then, Xiumin," Minseok moved forward at Luhan's call. Yifan snorted before catching himself at Luhan's slightly narrowing eyes. Luhan inwardly seethed at Yifan's insolence before he remembered what he was going to do. He stifled his dark chuckle as he pictured Yifan's reaction.

 

"What's your condition?" Yifan asked, Luhan's smile turned into a smirk as he made a show of pretending to think of what he wanted,

 

"Your famous Jing Xiu's company for five whole days without you intervening," 

 

Yifan visibly stiffened, jaw tightening in what Luhan could only assume was anger, the arena fell silent awaiting his response with baited breath. His eyes darkened before he gave a curt nod, Minseok stepped up to stand beside Luhan. Yifan's consort looked startled as he caught sight of him, the weird churning feeling returned as Luhan confirmed that the two knew each other. He felt Minseok glance at him and like always knew what was troubling him even when he himself didn't.

 

"He is my cousin's best friend," he told Luhan as he stripped himself off the compulsory weaponry, "he's like a brother," 

 

The queasiness subsided as things fell into place.

 

"Then we must win at all cost," Minseok grinned inclining his head in respect at Luhan before stepping into the ring opposite Tao who clearly towered over him. Luhan shot another glance at the opposite dais, Yifan watched his captain with a hawklike manor, eyes anxious as his consort stared at the two circling in the arena transfixed. Luhan turned his attention back to Minseok fingers curling around the safety bar as Tao swiftly lunged forward.

 

A cheer rang out through the crowd as Tao's hand shot out trying to grab onto Minseok who dodged it a little too easily. Minseok defended himself admirably against Tao's attacks, dodging sharp punches and allowing Luhan to relax once he realized they were more or less evenly matched. Minseok kept on dodging for a while before Tao managed to land a blow, the consort's hand flew to his mouth to cover his shock while Luhan flinched. Minseok smirked eyes darting to Luhan who suddenly knew what he would do as he was a victim to the same more countless of times in the past. His concern for his captain decreased knowing this one move would bring him victory.  Minseok grabbed Tao's outstretched arm as he was pulling back from his punch and twisted it forcing the taller unsuspecting man to his knees. Tao flinched calling his defeat as Minseok forced his head onto the ground. It was quiet before Luhan started to clap he stepped forward nodding at Minseok to let Tao go. Luhan looked at Yifan before turning to his consort who leaned back at the glint in his eyes.

 

"I believe Jing Xiu is mine for a few days," he held a hand out beckoning Yifan's consort forward, Yifan's hand clenched around his jacket. Luhan had to fight breaking off into laughter at Yifan's expression, Minseok took a step forward with a disarming grin,

 

"Jing Xiu," he called out knowing at the change in Kyungsoo's eyes that he knew it was really Minseok, the younger nodded.  He tried to move but Yifan held on tighter, in the end he had to take of his jacket slightly embarrassed at all the curious looks they were garnering. He walked down over to Luhan and Minseok  who supported twin grins. Luhan saluted Yifan mockingly,

 

"Thank you for keeping your word, we will return him to your residence on Saturday," he chirped inwardly celebrating as Yifan turned to Tao livid, the Captain got to his feet before high tailing out of the place. Luhan mentioned for Minseok and Kyungsoo to follow him out of the makeshift arena, Luhan looked around before he smiled at Kyungsoo,

 

"I think you and Min have things to talk about I'll leave," Kyungsoo openly gaped at Luhan’s Korean, the other turned to smile at Minseok gently, "call me if you need me," Minseok nodded shooting Luhan a thankful look.

 

"I'm sorry for this," Minseok said.

 

"What-" Kyungsoo was cut off as Minseok hugged him, almost crushingly with force.

 

"I'm sorry, you're the first person I've seen from home," Kyungsoo's hand came up to pat Minseok's head before lowering to hug him back. Minseok remained still enjoying the feeling of home that Kyungsoo brought to him.

 

"I am glad to see you hyung, how did you manage to end up under Xi Èrjíjiàng?"

 

Minseok pulled away, Kyungsoo looked curious 

 

"We've known each other from before the invasion," Minseok explained, "I was at home about an hour before the initial invasion when Luhan burst in demanding I come with him. I would have resisted if he had not drugged me, that jerk,"

 

Minseok paused kicking a pebble in their path, the usual anger that came with the reminder of his earlier kidnapping surfaced.

 

"I should have stayed and protected my aunt and uncle, I should have made sure Jongin got away safely but Luhan wouldn't let me! I hate him, he saved me but I hate him," Minseok spat out, not at all meaning the words. He knew by now he would never be able to hate Luhan and judging by the look Kyungsoo gave him he knew it too.

 

"I'm sure Jongin got out on time, he's a smart boy." Minseok looked at Kyungsoo unsure of how he was so confident, but the other knew Jongin more than he did. He could only hope Kyungsoo was right, he nodded to himself.

 

"I hope so, enough about me." Ever since he saw Kyungsoo with Yifan, thousands of questions popped up in his head, "What of you? I would never have thought you were the one everyone was talking about. What are you to Wu Yifan?" Kyungsoo looked embarrassed at being the topic of gossip for many, 

 

"I'm his companion, he protects me with the condition I stay by his side,"

 

Minseok was silent, suspicious of Yifan's true intent and behavior.

 

"Does he treat you well?"

 

"Exceptionally well," Kyungsoo confirmed, Minseok's brows furrowed unconvinced. Before he could say anything though Luhan rushed up to them, eyes gleaming excitedly.

 

"We have to leave, Yifan's mood has worsened," he grabbed Minseok's arm.

 

"Due to the loss of his champion fighter?" Minseok questioned allowing Luhan to drag the two away, Luhan shook his head eyes turning to look at Kyungsoo with childlike wonder.

 

"His mood worsens with the loss of Jing Xiu's precious company for the next few days. I did not believe the tales I had heard until today, Jing Xiu must be treated like a king, Minseok,"

 

Kyungsoo looked around hoping no one overheard Luhan call Minseok by his real name, fortunately the streets had cleared as soon as the fight ended. Minseok was comforted by the fact the younger was careful, Luhan on the other hand was careless as usual. He barely called Minseok by his real name, but when he did it was always in places they could be heard. The general was too excited,

 

"I will not be outdone by Yifan," he announced grandly chest puffed out, "what do you wish for Minseok? Ask and I shall comply," time seemed to stop for the two, Luhan's smile froze as he realised the weight of his words. Minseok lowered his gaze heart still tender from talking to Kyungsoo about Jongin.

 

"My fair Xi Èrjíjiàng, there is nothing I can ask for that you are willing to give," He answered gently, he pulled his arm gently out of Luhan's grasp and walked to the place his men were waiting. Luhan's felt his face fall forgetting for a moment that Kyungsoo was still there, standing awkwardly and feeling at a loss of what had just transpired between Luhan and Minseok.

 

"What does Minseok wish for?" Kyungsoo asked cautiously, Luhan's hands curled into fists at the question.

 

"He wishes for freedom," his gaze never left Minseok, he let out a chuckle, his chest tightening painfully "I am no different from Yifan after all," he muttered glancing at Kyungsoo before looking at Minseok again.

 

-

 

Minseok walked Kyungsoo to the room he would be residing in for the next few days, he let Kyungsoo look around around the guest room while he stood in the doorway.

 

"Do not hesitate to ask for anything everyone has been informed to cater to your needs, we do not wish for Wu Èrjíjiàng to be displeased at our treatment of you," he teased, delighted when a flush spread across Kyungsoo's cheeks at the implication of being pampered by Yifan. He scowled half-heartedly, while his other friends had always he never expected to be teased by the quiet Minseok. China had changed him, for the better Kyungsoo realised when he saw how relaxed and at ease Minseok looked despite everything.

 

"And where will you be if I need you, Luhan's chambers?" Kyungsoo bit back lips twitching upwards only to still when Minseok gave a curt nod.

 

"But I must warn you he does not like it when people interrupt our time together, especially at night," 

 

Kyungsoo was sure his face had turned beet red, Minseok chuckled knowing that was the reactions he would get. At least now he knew Kyungsoo was still innocent. 

 

"Get your mind out of the gutter, the only reason we share chambers is because he does not trust me enough to not run away in the middle of the night," 

 

Kyungsoo frowned thoughtfully,

 

"Yet he trusts you enough to not kill him in his sleep, how puzzling..." 

 

"He is puzzling," Minseok agreed small smile playing on his lips at the thought of Luhan. He bid Kyungsoo goodbye not noticing the thoughtful look on the younger's face as he walked away aimlessly whistling a tune to himself.

 

-

 

When Luhan woke up Minseok was already gone, he shook his head at the other's early morning tendencies and got up himself. After making himself presentable he went to the training grounds knowing that was where his captain had gone. Sure enough Minseok stood among the men instructing them on their drills for the whole morning, he smiled slightly at the complete attention his men gave to Minseok the respect was clear in their eyes. It made Luhan proud to see that his selfish decision had reaped numerous benefits, he got onto the elevated platform where he could oversee the whole training. As expected as soon as he reached the top, Minseok caught sight of him. The men all turned at Minseok's command and greeted Luhan. Luhan nodded in reply before motioning at Minseok to commence with the training. 

 

An hour of drills passed, Luhan watched with hawklike precision quick to point out flaws or slackers. His attention was once again caught by Minseok who ran the next drill by the men again, they started and Luhan followed Minseok's every move. He vaguely felt someone come up behind him greeting him, he nodded in reply unfocused. Minseok and the men were executing a complicated drill effortlessly,

 

"Why did you save him?" Luhan's attention was finally pulled away, he looked at Jing Xiu or Kyungsoo, whoever he was, surprised by the question, "You know who he really is, so why did you save him?" Kyungsoo continued looking slightly embarrassed at his boldness. Luhan turned back to the grounds eyes naturally seeking Minseok out.

 

"I owe him, he saved me once it's only fair I return the favor," he said mind drifting to the past. 

 

"Is that all there is to it?" Kyungsoo asked gently not wanting to offend Luhan by pointing out the longing look he currently pinned Minseok under.

 

"That is all there is to it," Luhan confirmed quietly jaw tense as he forced the words out. He couldn't allow it to be anything more.

 

 

-

 

 

Another day had passed quite uneventfully as it could in Luhan and Minseok's company.

 

"Did you two meet in school?" Kyungsoo asked curious, Minseok set his paperwork down with a wry smile and mentioned for Kyungsoo to take the seat across his. The Captain had brought the younger boy with him to the station as Luhan had a meeting to attend to, Kyungsoo sat down eagerly waiting for the revelation.

 

"We did meet at school," Minseok answered tone lowered as he looked around carefully, he slipped into korean just to be safe, "we met at a military boarding school in Beijing. Luhan was popular, his father like Wu Èrjíjiàng's was one of the War Lords and because of this, Luhan would have gotten a position in the army anyway. There were two types of students, the ones who feared him and the ones who hated and envied him. Unfortunately for Luhan the latter outweighed the former and he found his safety in the school increasingly threatened as time passed,"

 

Kyungsoo nodded along processing all the information quickly,

 

"At first it was harmless like hiding his map during location training or his equipment going missing, but then it started getting dangerous. Things started to get physical-" Minseok's grip around his arm rest tightened as his eyes darkened, "after getting cornered and beat up he got locked up in a supply room, when a janitor found him he claimed the bruises on him were allergic reactions to something bad he ate. Instead of being thankful for his silence they got angrier, it got to a point where even the teachers noticed, but what could they do if Luhan refused to say anything?" 

 

Kyungsoo studied Minseok's expression carefully,

 

"He told me you saved him," 

 

Minseok paled at the memory,

 

"Do you remember Yixingie?"  he said as said friend’s face flashed through his mind. The two were never as close as he was to Luhan, but Minseok valued him more than he did others.

 

"The Chinese diplomat's son?"

 

Minseok nodded,

 

"My parents were just like his and I had to move to China when I was 8, I was sent to the academy when I was 11. I met Luhan that day..." Minseok trailed off he was staring at Kyungsoo yet his eyes were clouded, "I was assigned to room with him, I remember opening the door ready to introduce myself when I saw his back. He was about to take off his shirt probably coming back after class, I thought he would have felt it and would have stopped but he didn't,"

 

"Felt what?" 

 

"There was a grenade pin tied to the edge of his shirt, a few seconds after pulling off his shirt it would have exploded-"

 

"What?!" Kyungsoo's eyes widened in shock.

 

"I didn't think as soon as he pulled off his shirt I dove for the grenade, you can't imagine what I felt when I caught it. I threw it out of the window with barely any time left, the explosion wasn't big enough to blow up the entire area but it shattered all the windows and would have severely injured if not kill, Luhan." Minseok let out a humourless chuckle.

 

"You-you really did save him, I thought it was just a figure of speech..."

 

Minseok's hands were shaking, even more than a decade later it felt so real. He could still feel everything the heat, the blast, the fear- he shook his head, he couldn't afford to be lost in the memory especially in Kyungsoo's presence. He calmed himself and continued,

 

"It took me awhile to realise Luhan was talking to me, my ears were still ringing from the explosion I didn't even know I had fallen to the ground. The first thing that idiot asked me was my name, no 'are you alright?' Or 'thank you'." Minseok smiled as he was reminded of Luhan's idiocy. 

 

"Before I had met Luhan my Chinese name was Min Xiu, Luhan hated it and forced me to change it. He demanded me to change it to Xiumin," 

 

Kyungsoo's brows furrowed, why had Luhan bothered with the order of Minseok's name? It would have still had the same meaning. As if sensing Kyungsoo's thoughts Minseok answered. 

 

"Luhan said 'Xiu' must come first because I was first and foremost pretty, then 'Min' after referring to my agility," he laughed at Kyungsoo's incredulous look, feeling his neck heat up with embarrassment.

 

"I told him he was crazy and that he shouldn't be worrying about my name when he had almost exploded. He merely waved my worries away and dragged me to the registry office to change my name,"

 

"You allowed him to change your name?!"

 

Minseok shrugged understanding why it was so shocking to Kyungsoo,

 

"We were eleven and I didn't know who his father was, I thought the people in the office would brush us off and send us back to our room." Minseok chuckled at the memory, "I learned quickly that what Luhan wants he gets, in less than a week Min Xiu no longer existed. I became Xiumin, the only person Luhan could trust and that's how I ended up here. The end. Have I satisfied your life story cravings?" Minseok asked teasingly, trying to throw Kyungsoo off from asking anymore question particularly those that used to keep him up at night. Kyungsoo fought his blush and nodded. The door slammed open, Minseok barely flinched as Luhan came in paper bag in hand,

 

"Baozi for my baozi," he announced cheerfully, Minseok rolled his eyes. He was actually thankful for Luhan's interruption, who knew what else Kyungsoo would ask him. He felt Luhan's eyes on him knowing the other would be able to read his mood if he tried, he shook off the lingering thoughts of their pasts looking at Luhan with mock annoyance.

 

"That joke is getting old," he said waving Luhan's hands away from his face, the grin Luhan supported grew as he continued to pester him. Luhan slapped his hands on both sides of

Minseok’s face pressing his cheeks together as he cooed at him, momentarily forgetting Kyungsoo’s presence. He laughed as Minseok tried to pry his hands away, eyes softening to look at his friend fondly. Minseok stopped struggling expression confused as Luhan continued to smile, he frowned finally slapping Luhan’s hands away.

 

“You’re so-“ transparent, he mind supplied, “weird,” he finally said.  

 

 

-

 

 

Luhan frowned as he walked down his hallways, he had been searching for Minseok but he was nowhere to be found. He told himself not to panic, Minseok wouldn't leave not when he promised Luhan he wouldn’t. He put on an impassive face as he wandered deeper into the more private areas of the house, areas that were restricted to most. If Minseok were not here then Luhan would allow himself to panic. Hushed murmurs reached his ears prompting his steps to quicken, he came to an abrupt stop when the balcony came into view. Kyungsoo and Minseok were facing each other as they spoke, but neither had spotted Luhan. He considered joining them but stopped at the mention of Korea, he fell back keeping out of their view.

 

“Do you miss it?” Kyungsoo asked, Luhan took a moment to thank Minseok for teaching him the Korean language all those years ago before awaiting Minseok’s answer.

 

“Of course, why would you even ask?” was Minseok’s answer, Kyungsoo shrugged.

 

“It’s just that you look more comfortable here than you ever did back home,” he commented making Minseok frown.

 

“I hope you don’t mind me bringing this up,” Kyungsoo started sounding uneasy, “but whenever I slept over, I always heard you yelling in your sleep…” Kyungsoo paused, “It was weird at how Jongin would constantly try to stop me from sleeping over when prior to your return I slept there on a weekly basis. He finally told me you suffered from nightmares and he was afraid it would bother me, I just never knew how bad they were until I slept over. When you would come to breakfast the next day your eyes were always swollen,” Kyungsoo chuckled,

 

“I used to think you just had a naturally chubby face- I would have never had thought you were crying…” his expression became serious again, Minseok was silent before he gave Kyungsoo a small nod. That was as much as Minseok would admit, he would not say what the nightmares were and why they haunted him to that extent.

 

“But I’m guessing you sleep fine here, if your appearance is anything to judge by,” Kyungsoo continued smiling slightly at Minseok’s questioning frown.

 

“You used to have dark circles that surpassed Tao’s and you were so quiet whenever we all went out as if you were dazed. Like your mind wasn't really there.”

 

Kyungsoo explained,

 

“Thank you for making me sound like a halfwit,” Minseok said seriously, they two were quiet before they started to snicker amused by the image.

 

“You’re not wrong though,” Minseok finally said, “I do sleep better here.”

 

“Why is that though?” Kyungsoo asked tone suggesting he was implying something. He burst out laughing at Minseok’s narrowed eyes.

 

 

-

 

 

Minseok looked up at the starless sky, mind wandering. He didn't know Luhan had joined him until he spoke up,

 

"Your brows are furrowed," he said gently moving from his perch against the door to stand beside Minseok. Minseok continued to frown at the cloudy sky.

 

"I was just thinking..." He trailed off before shaking his head,

 

“Of your family,” Luhan guessed, “Xiumin, I-“ he trailed off not knowing how he could comfort the other.  Minseok could feel the guilt radiating from Luhan. The other probably knew what he was thinking about, knew how worried his was about his family. He knew Luhan would continue to antagonize himself over it if he didn't say anything to quell his worry "don't worry about it," he said trying to drop the subject. Pretending was a part of their life now, both in work and in personal issues.

 

"Your cousin is called Jongin right?" Luhan spoke up surprising Minseok who turned to look at him, he barely spoke about his family to Luhan.

 

"You remembered," Minseok could not see how

 

Luhan smiled albeit sadly,

 

"I can't seem to forget anything you tell me even if I try," he confessed, "how old is he?"

 

"Twenty-one, he used to be so tiny. Last I saw him he was taller than I was,"

 

"Everyone is taller than you are," the comment had the effect Luhan wanted as Minseok advanced on him punching him in the shoulder with an incredulous grin.

 

"You say that again!" He challenged, Luhan smirked,

 

"You're short," he teased ducking Minseok's fist, "now go wash up you reek," Minseok childishly stuck a tongue out at him making him laugh before bounding off. He watched Minseok go smile slipping off his face, he was a monster. Standing here trying to pretend everything was fine with Minseok when the other was clearly suffering and trying to hide it at his expense. His father's words echoed in his head making him sigh, what crappy consequences. 

 

-

 

“Xiumin,” Luhan sang as he joined Minseok for breakfast, Minseok’s brows furrowed at his early appearance. Suspicion immediately kicked in at Luhan’s chirpy mood.

 

“What are you planning?” he asked cutting to the case, Luhan sat across him.

 

“Say,” Luhan began, “how long has Jing Xiu been with us?” he asked ignoring Minseok’s question.

 

“Today will be his fourth day, why?”

 

Luhan grinned,

 

“Don’t you think we should pay Yifan a visit, allow him to see his precious consort?”

 

“What are you planning?” Minseok asked knowing no good would come out of Luhan’s scheming early in the morning.

 

“Don't you think it would be fun to dress Jing Xiu up in a uniform and tell Yifan, we’ve enrolled him the army!” Luhan’s tone raised in excitement, “Can you imagine his reaction?”

 

Luhan laughed alone as Minseok entertained the idea for once, Yifan would probably try to kill them but the man deserved a scare for treating Kyungsoo like some sort of prized item. He smiled,

 

“Should we?” Luhan stopped laughing to look at Minseok,

 

“Are you agreeing?” his tone filled with disbelief and just a little bit of hope, Minseok shrugged.

 

“We need to have fun once in a while,” he said making Luhan’s grin return. The door to the dining room opened. Kyungsoo entered with a greeting, the two turned to him with matching grins,

 

"Do you want to go pay Wu Èrjíjiàng a visit, Jing Xiu?" Minseok asked tone light, Kyungsoo shrugged but his eyes betrayed his excitement at seeing Yifan. Luhan's grin grew,

 

"Are you up for a little prank, Jing Xiu?"

 

-

 

 

The guard that met with Luhan and Minseok politely gestured for them to make themselves comfortable in the dining room, but Luhan in all his eagerness rejected the offer telling him they would remain in the foyer.

 

Kyungsoo shuffled uneasily as he stood between Luhan and Minseok, catching the eyes of passing soldiers who stopped to gawk at the military uniform he wore. They cleared out just as quickly knowing that nothing good could come out of this with the elated grin that was on Xi Erjijiang’s face. His rivalry with their own General was a well known one, both having to live up to their Warlord fathers’ reputation which led to many competitions among them.

 

The sound of rapid approaching footsteps made Luhan perk up, Yifan had just entered the foyer. He stopped abruptly as he caught sight of Kyungsoo’s attire, a myriad of emotions flashed across his face. The shock that finally settled on his face made Luhan’s grin stretch wider, he placed a hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

 

"Surprise! We enrolled him in the army!" he announced cheerfully, Yifan's eye twitched. 

 

"You what?" His tone was lacking the emotion he had shown previously, but the atmosphere was too still. Kyungsoo seemed to know as he shook Luhan's hand off warningly. Yifan's nostrils flared as he took a step forward, Minseok's brows furrowed at Yifan’s advance instincts warning him. He belatedly realised they might have pushed Yifan a little too far, the other was still sore from losing Kyungsoo to them. Luhan on the other hand was either oblivious or wanted to see Yifan throw a fit, Minseok bet his life it was the latter. Luhan pushed on further wanting a more pleasing reaction from the other general, Minseok’s hand inched towards Luhan as something dangerous flashed across Yifan’s face.

 

"He'll be training under Xiumin from now on so you-" it all happened so fast, Minseok grabbed Luhan jerking him backwards as Yifan lunged forward hurtling insults at the other General. Kyungsoo jumped in front of Yifan hands coming up to push against his chest trying to create space between him and Luhan.

 

"Calm down!" He yelled over Yifan's shouts, Yifan struggled for a few seconds before realising Kyungsoo was the one holding him. He stopped abruptively hands coming up to clutch at Kyungsoo shoulders, taking to shaking him aggressively instead. Minseok scowled at the aggressive action and made a move to help Kyungsoo but Luhan held him back afraid Yifan would strangle him in his place. He turned his glare to Luhan who shook his head grip tightening around Minseok’s bicep.

 

"Have you gone insane?" Yifan roared making Kyungsoo flinch, the two guests felt guilty at the dejected look in Kyungsoo’s eyes "you are-" Yifan trailed off strangely, his expression regretful. 

 

"It's a joke, Yifan. I am not joining the army," Yifan's arms dropped to his side. Kyungsoo took a step back, Yifan reached out apologetically. He grabbed onto Kyungsoo's shoulders gently this time.

 

"I apologise for overreacting, I've not been sleeping well lately," it was not a lie, the tall General looked absolutely wrecked. His hand reached out tenderly brushing against Kyungsoo's jaw in apology of his earlier harsh actions. Kyungsoo pulled away turning to the shocked silent duo, Luhan was sure his jaw was unhinged. Where did hell was Yifan? This could not be Wu Yifan! His mind screamed unable to comprehend any other feeling other than anger and nonchalance coming from Yifan.

 

"Thank you for your hospitality but I think I need to stay with Yifan, may I?"

 

Luhan nodded dumbly pulling the unblinking Minseok along with him towards the exit. They stumbled out of the doorway in their haste,

 

“What the hell?” were the first words out of Luhan’s mouth as they got into his car. Minseok was silent as he gazed out of the window expression thoughtful, Luhan shifted closer trying to get his attention.

 

“What are you thinking about?” he asked, the corners of Minseok’s lips lifted surprising the General.

 

“I’m happy,” he said, Luhan frowned had Yifan hit Minseok when he wasn't looking. Minseok grin grew at Luhan’s expression, “I don’t have to worry about Jing Xiu anymore,” He looked at Luhan gentle smile disarming the other. He had his doubts about Yifan, but what he had just witnessed dispelled them, “I’m happy,” he repeated meaning it.

 

“Good,” Luhan said softly.

 



A//N: Here y'all go, finally had a bit of free time to update :) Will try to drop by to check for mistakes later on. Enjoy!