마지막.

무한대 (Infinity)

This is the last chapter, but there will be an epilouge, which I will post tomorrow. I hope you enjoy.

 

~*~무한대 (mu-han-dae) n: the state or quality of being infinite~*~

Infinity (symbolically represented by a ) is a concept in mathematics and philosophy that refers to a quantity without bound or end. People have developed various ideas thoughout history about the nature of infinity. The word comes from the Latin word ‘infinitas’ or ‘unboundless’

 

Chapter 9

마지막 (ma-ji-mak) last

 

Everything felt heavy and fuzzy as Sungjong slowly woke up. Beside the bed, Yejin was slumped over in the chair, a book resting in her lap as if she fell asleep while waiting with him. Faintly, he heard some voices downstairs.

Carefully, he stood quietly and tiptoed down the hall, stopping outside of the common area to listen in on their conversation.

“Maybe... it’s time to stop...” Myungsoo mumbled.

“Stop promotions?” Hoya asked. 

“No... maybe it’s time to stop being Infinite.”

There was absolute silence after that as they all considered the opition.

“They love you.”

Sungjong stiffened and turned around to find Yejin standing there. “They’ve been worried sick,” she continued. “I sent them to go sleep, but they’ve been arguing about for the past couple of hours.”

“Are they mad at me?” Sungjong asked quietly.

“No, they love you so much. They’ll never be mad at you.”

The corners of Sungjong’s lips twitched upwards as dozens of examples sprung to the tip of his tounge. Yejin laughed and added, “You know what I mean. They love you. They aren’t mad. You need to talk to them.”

“But-“

Before Sungjong could finish his thought, Yejing shoved him out from behind the wall.

“Sungjong?”

The urge to run was overwhelming, but Sungjong turned around and smiled at the others, though the smile did not reach his eyes. “Hey, hyungs.”

Sunggyu took a step forward, but stopped as Dongwoo placed a hand on his shoulder. “Sungjong,” Dongwoo said gently. “how are you feeling?”

Looking at the other members, Sungjong had to bit his lip to stop from crying as he nodded. “Yeah, I’m okay...”

Dongwoo lead Sungjong to the couch and sat him down before hurrying to the kitchen, returning with cups of tea. For a little while, the seven sat there in silence, until Sunggyu started speaking.

“There’s so much secrets and doubt around us. Let’s all get it out,” Sunggyu said firmly. “I’m worried about everyone and I can’t do anything if I don’t know anything.”

Dongwoo nodded and spoke up first. “We went to the doctor and confirmed that Sora’s hearing impaired,” he said. “She’s going to need a lot of help. I don’t know if I can return to Infinite like I planned.”

“I got a job offer from a new company. They told me that because quote ‘Infinite is finished’ unquote, that I should turn my focus to something new,” Hoya said. “I nearly punched him in the face for that.” 

“I miss Nabi and Sookyung,” Myungsoo said, his eyes downcast. “I love them a lot...”

Dongwoo reached out and took his hands. “Remember what you said when you came back from your first date with Sookyung? You said, ‘She’s the one, hyung, I know it. I don’t care what happens if the fans find out and leave me. She’s the one.’”

Myungsoo laughed shakily and wipped his eyes. “What should I do then?”

“Chase after her,” Dongwoo said. “Even if that means all the way to Paris. Don't let her go.”

Myungsoo smiled and hugged Dongwoo shortly. “What are you going to do then?”

Dongwoo looked over at Hoya and smiled. “I’m going to take care of Sora. I’m going to learn sign language, I’m going to find all of the things that will help her, and... I think I’m going to make a foundation to help families who have physically impaired children. I can make a difference in lives, not in the way that I thought I would by singing or dancing, but I’ll be makng a difference.”

“Hoya, what are you going to do?” Sunggyu asked. “About the job offer?”

Hoya sighed and looked at Sungjong. “I’m going to take it.”

“What?” Sunggyu asked. “Are you sure? Are you gong to give up being a singer just to be the pretty face on some company?”

“That’s all we have been for the past fifteen years,” Hoya said.  “It’s not going to change.  Whether it’s for Woollim or another company... it’s going to be the same.  As idols, all we are supposed to be are pretty faces for people to admire and companies to make money.  As idols, the only love that we see are the love songs that we sing.  As idols, all we are... sometimes, all we are... is nothing...”

Sungyeol spoke up in the sobering silence. “Even if we were nothing, we had something that was real, we had each other and we had fun,” he said. “So I’m... I’m going to continue to sing. Even if I’m alone.”

At that, Sunggyu smiled and place a hand on Sungyeol’s shoulder. “I came to Seoul without anything, and I found you guys.  We all had so much dreams.  We owe it to those little trainees who put so much effort and dreams so that we could become something.  I feel like I owe it to my past self to keep on chasing this dream,” Sunggyu said. “I’m going to continue to sing.”

Everyone could’ve expect that from Sunggyu, but what surprised them was when Woohyun spoke up.

“I-I... wan... I sin... I sing wi... you,” Woohyun stuttered, but his message clear. “I... don’ttttt... kn-kn-kno-o-o-ow if-f-ff... can. Bu-bu-bu-but I’m g-g-go.... t-t-ta... try.”

As everyone finished, they all looked at Sungjong, who so far hadn’t said anything.

Sungjong cleared his throat and played with his hands. “I... I don’t know what to do, but I’m not going to go back to my apartment. If you’re still looking for somewhere else to live, Myungsoo, you can live there.”

 “But-“

“It’s too filled with memories,” Sungjong whispered.  “I will never be able to look at Mihee’s room without my heart hurting so much and sleep in my... and Daeun’s room again without crying myself to sleep.  I just can’t return.”

“Can’t return?” Sungyeol asked, quietly, speaking the thoughts that everyone else was thinking. “What do you mean?”

This time, Sungjong met everyone’s gaze and said steadily, “I’m not coming back. I’m not going back to Seoul.”

“Where are you going to go?” Dongwoo asked.

 “I don’t know. The road took me on such a different road than what I thought it would be. I never thought that being a part of Infinite could lead to... all of this,” he said, gesturing to everyone. “I never thought that we could accomplish everything we did. I never thought I would find a family like this. I guess everyone can only dream of a life like this. We lived the dream. Isn’t that enough?”

Nobody could say anything to that.

“So... I’m going to concentrate on raising Haneul and Sora, Myungsoo is going to Paris with Sookyung and Nabi, Hoya is going to be a rep of a big fancy company, Sunggyu and Sungyeol are going to keep on singing, Woohyun is going to try to start singing again, and Sungjong is... leaving...” Dongwoo shook his head. “This is the first time that we’re going on separate paths like this...”

“We have to see each other again,” Sungyeol said firmly. “Let’s say in seven years, let’s meet each other again. Wherever the current Woollim building is, we’re going to have a dinner together. Okay?”

“Flying all the way from Paris sounds fun,” Myungsoo said. “I’ll be there.”

“I’ll bring the kids and Yejin,” Dongwoo agreed.

“I-I-I’ll b-b-be the-er-ere,” Woohyun stuttered.

“Sounds good to me,” Hoya said.

“It better, because you’re buying dinner,” Sunggyu said with a smirk. “I’m in.”

“Why am I buying?”

“Because you’ll be a milloniare CEO in seven years,” Sunggyu said, giving him a slight punch on the shoudler. He looked over at Sungjong, the only one who hadn’t agreed yet.

“Sunjong?”

He sighed and looked at the rising sun coming in through the window. Another day had arrived. “I... I’ll try.”

 

The next day, they had all packed their bags and were leaving the sea side cabin. They had all explained their decisions to Woollim and everything was sorted out.

For the last time, they stood together at the train station, a train waiting to take everyone except for Sungjong back to Seoul.

“Are you sure you aren’t coming back?” Sungyeol asked. “Not even to say goodbye?”

Sungjong shook his head. “I’ll call people who I need to explain to,” he said. “I just can’t go back. Not yet at least.”

Sungyeol nodded and gave him a quick hug. “Good luck wherever you’re going then,” he said.

“Good luck too,” Sungjong said.

“You need to call and tell us where you’re at,” Sunggyu added. “Just every once in a while... pick up the phone.”

“I will,” Sungjong said, hugging Sunggyu warmly.

Next Woohyun gave him a long hug, but didn’t say anything, only patting him only the shoulder when he let go, letting his eyes do all the talking that he cuoldn’t do.

Dongwoo gave Sungjong a teary smile as he hugged him with one arm, the other arm holding Sora. “If you’re ever in the area...”

“I’ll give you a call,” Sungjong said, nodding. He looked at Yejin and Haneul. “Take care of the family,” he said sadly. “They are really beautiful.”

“They’re your family too,” Dongwoo said. “We all are.”

“I know...” Sungjong sighed.

Myungsoo gave Sungjong a hug as he said, “I’ll miss you, Sungjong.”

“Me too.” Sungjong looked around at all of them. “All of you.”

Lastly, Hoya smiled as he gave Sungjong a hug goodbye. “See you in seven years?” he said.

“Seven years is going to be a long time. Who knows where all of us will be in seven years. How do we know that you’re going to come back?” Myungsoo asked in a small voice, voicing the small doubt that all of them had.  “How are we all going to be sure that we’re going to be together again?”

For the first time, Sungjong gave a genuine smile as he said the words that signaled the end of their life as Infinite and beginning of their new journey, “Because we’re Infinite. I promise on Infinite.”  

 

마지막 (ma-ji-mak) this is where the story ends