4. Happy Birthday.

Blind Love.

“Jongin is dead.”

 

Dead?

 

Kyungsoo laughs in disbelief, shaking his head as he takes another sip from his coffee cup despite the stinging on his tongue.

 

This guy was just crazy, he thinks. There’s no possible way Jongin was dead. That was dumb. It was stupid. That phrase alone is just completely impossible and ridiculous. Obviously, Jongin was very well alive, judging from the warmth that Kyungsoo can feel from his hands, and the way his heart beats when the smaller rests his head on his chest.

 

“That’s funny, Junmyeon. Tell me another joke.”

 

Nothing comes but pure silence and those damn sad eyes that Junmyeon keeps giving him.

 

“I don’t get it.” Kyungsoo blinks. “What do you mean that… Jongin is dead?”

 

He honestly doesn’t think that there is any possible explanation for this kind of conspiracy or theory that Junmyeon has in mind, but when the latter opens his mouth to explain all of the studying he’s been doing as of late, he thinks, maybe this is real. Maybe he should take this into consideration.

 

From what he’d heard for the past hour at the cafe, Kyungsoo’s learned that Jongin is dead, but not dead at the same time.

 

“I don’t know what it is.” The male sighs out softly, looking down at his empty cup. “Studying this for awhile now… There’s just no exact way I can say it without it sounding crazy , fake, or whatever you want to call it.”

 

“The people there… They’re something. Not ghosts or spirits, since you can touch them and all of that. But they’re something supernatural and it is like they have some sort of trigger.” Junmyeon speaks, looking so lost in his own thoughts. “I've been keeping a close eye on the people in the building , and it's always the assigned partners that are a little more quiet and reserved. Meanwhile, the ones who come in are always the ones who are more welcoming to my questions.”

 

Turning to his side to reach into his bag, he pulls out a manila folder with the thickness of a long novel. Kyungsoo’s eyes are wide for a second before it's flipped open and he has to squint to see what the other has scribbled down.

 

“You see here,” Junmyeon stops on a particular page that seems to be the Inamorato building. It was technically a blueprint on lined paper, and Kyungsoo is just thinking who the hell has the time for all of this, but he just remains silent. “This is the building from head to toe - took awhile to sketch, but that’s not the point. The point is, all of these people on this floor?” he points to the 44th floor, which happened to be the floor just above Jongin’s. “All of their partners had disappeared on February 14th.” The male pushes up his glasses against his nose with his lips pressed together. “All of the partners that were females, I mean.”

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know how the man had gotten ahold of those kind of statistics, but that thought was besides the point.

 

What made those partners disappear on that particular day? The whole damn floor?

 

“And get this - ” He catches the doe eyed male’s attention once more , flipping to another page to skim through it. Kyungsoo would have read it, but the text was way too much and too small for him to read. That and he can’t read upside down so what was the point.

 

“According to what I have down here, more than half of the partners in the building had all disappeared on the day of March 14th, and all of the partners that had disappeared were all males.”

 

Looking up to see Kyungsoo’s expression, he can’t help but muse a small grin. He’s honestly glad. He’s glad that he doesn’t have to seem crazy anymore, and that someone is actually listening to him - considering what he’s saying to be real.

 

Meanwhile, the small male is lost in his thoughts, trying to analyze all of this data.

 

“February 14th is Valentine’s Day.” Kyungsoo mumbles.

 

“Yeah, and?”

 

“On Valentine’s Day, it is usually the women who gift the men something, correct?”

 

Junmyeon nods, knowing where he’s about to get. Allowing Kyungsoo to take the folder and flip it over so that he can properly read the papers, he quickly flips back to the first page shown, seeing the whole floor and understanding it’s scribbles.

 

“March 15th…”

 

White Day.

 

“So then… These holidays - the partners assigned disappear on these days…”

 

“Christmas too.” Junmyeon adds in, head nodding slowly as he flips through the pages once more to get out the next set of data for this holiday. “And don’t forget about New Years. Every. ing. Romantic. Holiday.” He says as he sets down a sheet of paper for each word said, looking down.

 

Taking a look at the papers, Kyungsoo sees that they’re charts that show the time of death that is most common. For Valentine's and White Day, it is scattered all around the place. Which is quite normal, according to Junmyeon. As expected though, New Years is only at it’s peak at midnight, right before it becomes a new year.

 

“These….”

 

He pauses. It’s all becoming a tad more clear now.

 

“Come on, Kyungsoo… I know you know.”

 

Don’t ever say you love me, hyung…. Never tell me with your words, okay?

 

“I love you.”

 

It comes out of Kyungsoo’s mouth as a whisper, eyes lost as his hand is pressed against his chest. The pain is just too much to bear at this point. Not only was Jongin -- half deceased or some sort, but that he could never say those three words to Jongin even if he wanted to. The person he may very well love at this moment couldn’t be confessed to.

 

Coming close to the small boy with a frown, Junmyeon comes around the table to give his new friend a hug because he has been in those shoes before, and now that they’re on the same page, they must make things right.

 

“But why?” Kyungsoo questions, giving in to the hug. “Why ‘I love you’ though?”

 

“That’s what I don't know. That’s what I’m here to find out…”

 

“So please help me, Kyungsoo.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

He doesn’t visit Jongin that night.


 

How could he? He doesn’t know if he can face his boyfriend without bursting into tears or questioning him on the spot.

 

It all just doesn’t click.

 

Why would Jongin do something or some sort to live half alive? Why didn’t he just part when his time was over? Or- possibly he’s some sort of supernatural vampire that is living under his own will?

 

He doesn’t know.

 

It’s just so unrealistic and it’s driving him crazy. He can’t sleep and Kyungsoo knows he is going to be up all night, regretting it the next morning when he’s late for his shift and running on ten cups of bitter coffee that is just too different for his taste.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After work, he’d usually come by Jongin’s place to wind down with his boyfriend but at this time it just didn’t feel right.

 

Looking down at his smartphone to have it light up, he frowns at the bombards of missed calls that he had received from none other than Kim Jongin. Or if that was even his real identity.

 

He feels bad for leaving Jongin like this and doubting everything that was ever told to him, because it may not even be his fault. Either way , he could never ignore Jongin for long. Even if Jongin had murdered someone, Kyungsoo knows he’d probably end up in helping the younger one dispose the body. The man was like a breath of fresh air.

 

Giving in, he taps against the green button to return the call. As it’s ringing for some time now, a smile can’t help but grow on his lips when he hears Jongin answer on the other side of the phone.

 

“Hyung!” He greets enthusiastically as per usual. “Hyung?” The second  time is in a little more worried tone, knowing how the younger seems to always be concerned. “Where are you, hyung? You didn’t show up last night and I missed you so much. Also, you haven’t even answered my calls. Hyung, you always answer my calls.”

 

Kyungsoo is trying so hard not to laugh and burst into tears. He’s missed Jongin so much and it’s only been a day.

 

“Do Kyungsoo, please answer your boyfriend right now.” Oh, here comes the serious Jongin.

 

“Hyung ! Seriously - I’m worried. ”

 

“Would you relax?” The elder male finally replies, breath slightly shaky as he’s trying to hold himself all together. “I’m literally down the street from your place and… I’m coming over, alright? So tell Luna to fire up the elevator.”

 

He can already see Jongin clapping his hands childishly, bringing a brighter smile to his lips.

 

“Really, hyung? Good. You can’t escape me today, okay? It’s your special day.”

 

Right.

 

Arriving at the building, it’s the same old grind. It’s the same Luna with her squeaky tone and happy attitude. It’s sickening. Just as sickening as the hallway as he remembered it appealed to him when he had first arrived.

 

Of course, Yifan is still in the hallway after all this time, waiting for the day Yixing might eventually pop back up just as how he had just popped out of life. To his disappointment, now that Kyungsoo is catching on with the truth, he feels apologetic for thinking Yifan was a bit crazy in the head, but he is more apologetic that Yixing had disappeared due to his love.

 

Yifan didn’t look that  glum as he appeared closer to the door though, which made Kyungsoo a bit mor glad. Soon enough, Yifan might even move away from waiting in front of the door, he thinks.

 

“Hey.” Kyungsoo smiles, a bit awkward.

 

“You didn’t show up yesterday.” Yifan chuckles. “Felt weird not seeing you.”

 

With a roll of his eyes, Kyungsoo laughs. “I know you missed me.” He feels a little more relaxed, entering the pin number for Jongin’s room, knowing the code by heart.

 

“Whatever, idiot. Good luck and head on in. ”

 

Good luck?

 

Kyungsoo didn’t know what he meant by that, but returns a warm smile anyway right before heading in and closing the door shut. As usual, it locks automatically, feet slipping off his shoes to get comfortable.

 

Looking out into the living room, he frowns. Jongin is usually there when he comes over, with the intention of winding down and cuddling while the TV is on. Where else would he be? Jongin wasn’t in the bedroom either. Or the bathroom. If he wasn’t there, then he assumes that he’s in the only place left.

 

The kitchen.

 

Walking over to where the dining room was, he swears he almosts punches Jongin in the jaw when the latter jumps out from the kitchen with a wide grin and hands up as if they were claws. Though he was turned a bit to the side too much, he did succeed in scaring the out of him.

“Surprise, hyung!” He laughs. “Did I scare you? Did I?”

 

Jongin’s childishness has been peaking out lately, and it only makes Kyungsoo adore him more. With a small laugh, the smaller male punches his boyfriend’s shoulder with a small pout.

 

“Yes, you ugly. What the hell was that for?”

 

Jongin doesn’t answer, reaching out to find Kyungsoo’s hand. “Just be quiet.” He hushes him, successfully finding the small hand he’s missed. Leading Kyungsoo out of the dining room and into the kitchen, he reveals what he’s been working on.

 

“Happy birthday, Kyungsoo hyung… I hope you like chocolate cake. Yifan used Yixing’s recipe, but he let me decorate it! ” Jongin smiles sheepishly, leaning over to press a kiss onto Kyungsoo’s cheek with a grin. After that, the well known birthday song begins and the other is just staring down at the cake with tears forming.

 

He hasn’t celebrated his birthday with a lover since two years ago - when Minseok actually remembered Kyungsoo was alive. Last year was spent with Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who didn’t mind faces here and there while Kyungsoo pretended that he didn’t see anything.

 

But here he was, staring at an idiot who must have went through hell into baking this cake, seeing as how the letters are a little bit off and the little drawings made out of icing are smudged here and there, but Kyungsoo could make out what Jongin meant. He wanted happiness for Kyungsoo - with him.

 

Eyes looking at the scribbled ‘forever?’ on the cake, he doesn’t realize that tears are falling from his eyes and Jongin’s already done singing the song.

 

“Go on and blow the candles, Soo-ah.”

 

The next thing he knows, Kyungsoo finds his feet leading him out of the apartment in a flash. Swinging the door open, he almost trips over the long legs that are extended out into the hallway. Yifan looks at him with wide eyes, brows furrowed in confusion as the small male continues running off towards the elevator.

 

“Kyungsoo!” Jongin shouts, puzzled at his boyfriend’s recent behavior. He tries to follow after him, not being cautious to what was surrounding him. As if he had forgotten the mental map of his home in his head, he trips over the dining chair and hisses in pain. “Yifan - Stop him!” he shouts, hoping that the other could hear him from outside the door.

 

The tall man is thankful for his long legs, putting them to use after a long while.

 

It only takes seconds for him to successfully hop into the elevator as it’s about to close shut. Kyungsoo is in the corner, facing away from him as he hugs his own body.

 

“Kyungsoo. . . “ Yifan frowns, reaching out for the small male. “What’s wrong? Why did you leave Jongin like that?”

 

There’s no answer.

 

He’s just shaking, soft sobs escaping his lips between his sniffles. “They’re all dead.” He whispers. He repeats it for some time before long arms bring him into a comforting embrace, calming down his system.

 

“Who’s dead?” The tall man questions, Kyungsoo’s back soothingly. “What are you even talking about?”

 

“They’re all dead, Yifan… Jongin, Baekhyun, Yixing. They’re all dead - before they’re even dead, they’re dead.”

 

Kyungsoo bets that he’s the one who sounds like a maniac now, judging by the puzzled look Yifan has on his face. To his surprise though, it doesn’t stay there for long.

 

There’s a long silence as the elevator is making its way down to the building’s lobby. Kyungsoo pulls ways from the warm embrace and wipes at the leftover tracks from the tears with his palms, watching the numbers lower slowly.

 

With a ding, the doors open and as he’s goes on and takes a few steps out until he's out of the elevator , Yifan opens his mouth to speak.

 

“It was ‘I love you’, wasn’t it?”

 

 

Kyungsoo turns his head to look up at the taller with a frown. There's no reply, but the looks exchanged explain it all and Kyungsoo knows that without even explaining it, Yifan knows. With the doors slowly shutting, he stares at the reflection of himself on the metal doors and attempts to give a small smile.

 

Happy birthday to me.

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, on many floors above his head, Jongin is still on the floor where he had fallen.

 

 

Happy birthday, hyung. I love you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 
 
a/n:
hello, my loves. how was it? i am sorry that it's still a bit vague. . .. . . it will all unravel more .
also, i am sorry that the story seems to be going real fast.  i am not good with long fics, really.
i either seem to rush, or it becomes too long and i give up. .. .  so there's that and i hope you
enjoy the story. i literally fell asleep at my desk writing this update - i was supposed to
upload it on kyungsoo's KST birthday, but i knocked out at my desk at 11:30PM. 
i've been trying to get my sleepong schedule back on track for school
also- lately i have been stumped with my writing lately because i found that i really dislike 
my writing style ???? but i cant change it no matter how much i try ?? ? ?
but enjoy this , sorry ; ; i love you all. 
 
 
 
H A P P Y K A I S O O D A Y , Y A L L .
 
 
well - i finished on kaisoo day !.
 
ps - there be typos