Saving Grace

改變 // Change
第一章
 
 

It stayed that way for a while. The large quilt blanketing the both of them, and the full moon and stars shining especially brightly above them. Eyes shut, cheek to cheek, and the only things heard were their gentle breathing, and their synchronized heartbeat. 

It took Kai long enough to find him, and also himself.

Kai was one of a kind, in a way. He never really did understand people, or himself. Honestly? He hated people. He hated how people were always so fake and unfathomable, and he hated how they were always only out for personal gains through friendships and bonds with other humans. He hated how people were always so unforgiving, and all they could trust were the masks they donned everyday, concealing their true feelings with a plastic smile. He hated how no one could relate to him, understand him like an open book, and everyone shunned him like he was an active volcano, always ready to explode.

Well, it wasn't hard to understand why Kai was deemed as a 'freak' in his school. Don't get it wrong, Kai had a devilishly handsome appearance, but he was void of emotions inside that impeccably perfect outer shell of his. He'd been through a lot in life, and he didn't want anything or anyone make him walk through that hell again. He vowed to himself, to never let anyone crack through his facade.

But yet, everything changed when Kyungsoo came.

Kyungsoo was just, well, Kyungsoo. He was a relatively quiet lad, with nothing much to brag about. Sure, he was a great singer, but only he knew that. His pretty owl-like eyes had caused him to gain much envy from girls, and scowls and teases from boys who thought he looked 'gay'. But he didn't really care. He didn't really care about anything, anyway. Until Kai came.


13th June, 2009. Kai met Kyungsoo at his geometry class, when Kyungsoo was just a plain ol' transfer boy with nothing much to gawk at with his nerdy glasses concealing his violet eyes. Kai was taken in by him, for a reason still unknown to him. Before he himself knew it, he'd materialized in front of Kyungsoo, and was practically begging for his number like a desperate girl.

Kyungsoo had his gaze fixated on Kai the whole time he did his mandatory introduction in front of his class. He secretly wished that Kai, and Kai only, would notice him. Shockingly, within seconds after he finished his introduction, Kai was doing his own self-introduction in front of him already. Yet, for the first time in a long while, Kyungsoo subconsciously broke out into a large smile.


Everything changed for the both of them after that. Kai saw that in Kyungsoo's eyes, it was a mirror of nothing but himself as well. They complemented each other surprisingly well, since Kai was a fierce and cold soul, while Kyungsoo was a shy introvert who didn't dare look at his many confessors straight in the eyes.


They were practically inseparable after that meeting. From shy greetings to pats on the back, and finally to intertwining hands. Kai was happy. Happy that he finally understood himself, happy that he finally found his soulmate, happy that Kyungsoo was the one.

13th May, 2020. The same old quilt, the same old people. The feelings never did change either. It was still the same butterflies erupting in their stomachs, the same shades of red every time their hands accidentally brush past each other's, the same giggles every time the other gave a peck on the cheek without warning, and the same old love they saw in each other's eyes.

 
Author's Notes
Thanks for reading!
0Y0Lz4y.gif