Chapter 7

Under The Rain

 

Police cars were surrounding the place, Tiffany and I were given blankets to wrap around our bodies and we were sitting down on the back of the ambulance. My head was resting on her shoulder and my feet were swinging back and forth. After Tiffany pulled the trigger on Taksony, we went for a search for any reception. After numerous times of trying to no avail, we finally got one and we immediately called for help. I smiled when a soft pair of lips landed on the top of my head.

“That was such a nightmare.” Tiffany commented and let out a sigh as she leaned against the top of my head. “I’m glad nothing happened to us.”

I raised my head and stared at her, cupping her cheek as I frowned. “Something did happen to you though.” I traced the bruises that were now covered with medicine on her face, stopping when she winced in pain. “I’m so sorry.” I whispered as tears welled up in my eyes, threatening to fall. “I’m so, so sorry, Tiffany. You tried to stop me from joining the cops and none of this would’ve happened if I listened to you. You wouldn’t have been hurt if I-“

“Hey, shhh. Baby calm down.” She cupped my cheeks and soothed them using her thumbs, wiping the tears that had already fallen. “First of all, I didn’t try to stop you from joining the cops. I asked if you were sure, there’s a difference. But whatever you decide to do in your life, I will always support you and stay by your side. Remember that. I will be the perfect wife for you, Taeyeon-ah. And this,” She gestured to the bruises on her face, “This is nothing, I’d go through anything and I mean, anything at all if it means protecting you. And it’s worth getting beaten up after all, because I don’t think I can bear watching you getting hurt, just the thought of that makes me mad. Nobody hurts my baby.” She leaned in and pecked my lips, she pulled away seconds after and stared at me with a loving and sweet smile.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you like you did. I knew I was weak but I still-“

“Stop underestimating yourself, Kim Taeyeon. You’re not weak, if anything you’re the strongest person on Earth that I know.”

I looked at her, staring straight into her eyes as we were engulfed in silence.

“What did I do to deserve you? I love you so much.” I said and pulled her head towards me, giving her a deep kiss as I poured every emotion I felt for her in that kiss. When we parted I attached my forehead with hers. “I love you so much.” I repeated.

“I love you more, baby.” She replied and we smiled at each other.

Just then we heard someone clearing their throat and we both looked up to see Captain Seo standing in front of us with a small smile. “You two are really cute together.” She commented, successfully making the both of us blush a crimson red. “I apologize that this happened. But we kind of expected something like this to happen some of these days, just not this soon.” She added and Tiffany and I briefly looked at each other before turning our attention back to Captain Seo, confusion completely written on our faces. I began to speak but Captain Seo raised her hand up, stopping me.

“I know you’re confused so please allow me to explain. Taksony suffered from schizophrenia, he couldn’t distinguish between reality and fantasy. Now don’t get me wrong, when he first joined us he wasn’t schizophrenic or else he wouldn’t be accepted. He was once a very respectable man, he was intimidating but friendly all at the same time, that guy always did his job right, always punctual and there was never an error in his performances. He became like this after the death of his wife. She was murdered in their own house when he was on duty out of town, it was an intruder. He couldn’t accept the fact that his wife was gone and that was when he started his fantasy, creating his own world where his wife was still alive. He talked to himself a lot and sometimes he even thought he was shooting someone for the sake of protecting his wife. I considered of letting him go but when he was under the medicine’s control, he was a handy man, we couldn’t lose him so I thought it was best to just keep him. Until you showed up, Taeyeon. You triggered something in him because…”

She stopped talking and opened her bag, ransacking files after files before pulling out a piece of paper that looked like a picture. “I think this will explain.” She handed the picture to me.

I scanned the picture of Taksony smiling happily with a woman beside him and my eyes widened as I let out a gasp, I showed it to Tiffany and she also wore the same expression as me.

“Oh my God! She looks like you!” Tiffany exclaimed and took the picture from me, examining it carefully.

“Exactly. That’s why he did what he did. You look a lot like his wife that he thought you were her.” She stuttered, directly at me.

“Was her name Catherine by any chance?” I questioned and witnessed the shocked expression that was on Captain Seo’s face as she raised both of her eyebrows.

“How did you know that?”

“He uhm…he called me Catherine.”

At this Captain Seo let out a sigh and looked at Taksony who was being covered on the stretcher, “Poor guy, he had a miserable life without his wife, but at least now he can see her. They can be together again.” She turned her head to us again.

“So what’s gonna happen to me now?” Tiffany suddenly asked as she handed back the picture to the captain. “I mean, I’m the one who ended his life.”

“Don’t worry, you’re not going to jail. That was a self defence.” She smiled at Tiffany who smiled back, probably relieved by hearing that.

Tiffany suddenly frowned as she looked around the place and I looked at her, confused of what she was doing. “Where are the other two guys?”

“Oh, they are giving statements as witnesses.” The captain simply replied and shrugged.

“Witnesses?” I questioned shockingly, a little bit too loud. “But they partnered with Taksony in this.” I reasoned, standing up as I grew frustrated.

“No, they weren’t.” Tiffany uttered, “Sit down, baby.” She pulled me towards her and wrapped her arms around me as soon as my cheeks met her laps. “They are the ones who set me free from the handcuff.”

I turned my head towards her instantly, but too fast for my liking because my neck hurt a bit. I forgot that I had bruises on my neck from being strangled. “They are?”

“Yes.” She kissed my cheek.

“I sent them to pretend to be Taksony’s partners a year ago, they stuck by him since then, never letting anything out of control. Well, until now.” Captain Seo explained and we both nodded, indicating that we understood. Just then, two figures emerged from the container.

“Well, if you’ll excuse me, I need to thank them.” She pecked my cheek again before pulling me off her laps and began making her way towards the men as I watched her.

“So, what about you, Taeyeon?”

My eyes averted to the captain in front of me, “Huh?”

“Are you still on for this job?”

The question was kind of unexpected as my mind started to race, searching for answers. Did I still want this job? After what happened? Being a cop had been my dream since I was younger, I had always been interested in documentaries series, but now I wasn’t so sure anymore. This was real life we were talking about, being in it meant sacrificing everything you had in life, even people that meant the most to you. I glanced at my wife who was smiling politely at the men and shook hands with them before making her way back here, she caught me staring at her and smiled at me.

I beamed back one and gazed back at Captain Seo, “I don’t think so.” I said and she showed an understanding smile, “I can’t put her in danger anymore.” I explained and she nodded as I stared back at Tiffany who was getting nearer and nearer, her eyes were still glued on me.

“I understand, it’s a shame you couldn’t even start, you would’ve been a great cop after training for a while. But I respect your decision.”

“What did I miss?” Tiffany asked, stopping beside Captain Seo and looked back and forth at us.

“Nothing. Let’s get the both of you home, shall we?” The captain suggested and ambled away. Tiffany stared down at me and I just shrugged before trailing behind Captain Seo.

----- -----

“Seriously, what did you talk about with Captain Seo?” Tiffany asked when I was struggling with the door knob, I could tell that she was growing annoyed because neither me nor Captain Seo spoken a word in the car when she asked repeatedly about our conversation. I didn’t know why she wouldn’t give it up but I shook it off.

I finally got to open the door and stepped inside, immediately let the warmth of a loving home coat me as I let out a tired sigh.

“Hello? I’m still waiting for an answer here.” Tiffany tapped her foot impatiently.

“I quit.” I answered shortly and she instantly ran towards me and engulfed me in a tight embrace.

“Why? I thought it’s your dream to be a cop?” She asked, cupping my cheeks after pulling away from the embrace we just shared.

“It was. But after what happened, I decided to not continue. You were right, this job is dangerous. I mean, look at us, I haven’t even started and had already put us both in danger.” I placed my hands on hers and pulled them away from my face, it was my turn to hold her cheeks then as I caressed her with my thumbs. “You have no idea how shattered I felt when he punched you so mercilessly. I can’t put you in danger anymore. I can’t stand the thought of you getting hurt because of me again, my beautiful wife.” I pecked her lips, “And being a cop sometimes need to be on duty out of town, who will protect you then? I don’t want to leave you all alone.”

“I can protect myself.”

“And that’s what I fear the most.”

“Why? You seem to already forget that I was the one who protected you.” She chuckled and tapped my nose lightly as I rolled my eyes.

“Exactly. So let me be the one protecting you from now on.” I slid my hands from her face to her shoulders. She tapped her chin with her index finger and pretended to be thinking hard.

“Fine, but I’m still the husband.” She announced and I rolled my eyes again and let out a groan.

“Not this again, Fany.”

She let out a laugh that I fell in love with before pulling me into a kiss. I responded instantly and our lips fell into synchronization as I wrapped my arms around her neck and hers around my waist. Our heads tilting left and right, I felt her tongue my bottom lip and I parted my mouth. She slowly inserted her tongue in it and I moaned at the feeling. After a good few minutes of that heated make out session, we parted and connected our foreheads together. The kiss reminded me of the first kiss we shared and I chuckled.

Tiffany pulled away and looked at me, “What’s so funny?”

“I suddenly remembered our first time kissing. You know, the kiss we had under the rain?” I explained and let out another chuckle. “I still remember your long confession.” I laughed at that memory and caught how her cheeks turned red.

“Shut up.” She buried her face on the crook of my neck to hide her embarrassment.

“Do you still remember that you said you were ready to commit suicide if I was being taken by someone else?” I and she hit my arm as I laughed again. “For a popular person like you, you really let your ego go that time.”

“I almost lost you then and I don’t think that I would still be here breathing if I did. Besides, I was crazy for you. And I’m still crazy for you now, the only difference is that now you’re mine and mine only.”

I made her raise her head as we stared intently at each other.

“And you’re mine.” I whispered before attaching my lips on hers again.

----- -----

A/N: I’m sooooo sorry, it’s been so long! This story is coming to an end, maybe a chapter or two more ;)

*cough cough* is on the way and I don’t really know how to write but I still do it anyway cuz I want TaeNy to be intimate hehehe.