Chapter 4

Under The Rain

Four years ago, Tiffany being the school bully confessed to an innocent girl, and that innocent girl happened to be me, her confession totally left me utterly speechless. Two years ago, I asked her to be my fiancé in front of so many people recording the session, the video, this time, surpassed 5 million views and surprisingly, despite the fact that me as a girl is in a relationship with another girl, even though this kind of relationship is against the law in the world's eyes, we still received good and supportive reviews, although there are some of them insult us. The fifth year of being together, after we ended our study and graduated, we decided to get married, here in Los Angeles, my love's hometown, we were very grateful that at least some of the places in this world allow the same relationship. I still remember every single detail when we were choosing my wedding dress, she was really fussy about picking the perfect dress for me as if we were shooting Say Yes To The Dress show. Our families were with us during the session, all of them smiled secretly watching the two of us, though that the both of us realized it. 

 

***** *****

 

"TaeTae-ah, you can come out now.." I heard Tiffany's exciting and cute voice outside the fitting room, with her dad's voice telling her to calm down for this was just the first wedding dress that I tried. I clenched my fingers tight somewhere on the dress and unlocked the door. When I stepped out, my brother and her brother had their jaws dropped, I examined everyone's face, they were in awe except for one person. The person who will be my wife, she eyed me up and down, bit her upper lip, the lower part of her teeth were visible as she inhaled and exhaled deeply. 

 

"You don't like it?"

 

"It's a bit too big for you, Taeyeon.." she commented before reaching out to another dress and handed it to me.

 

"Try this instead.." 

 

I obliged to her request and put on the second the dress that she suggested. But it was also left her unimpressed. "The color is not suited for your skin.." her comment made our families sighed.

 

"Do you have to be that picky?" her brother, Leo questioned and slumped himself on the couch. 

 

"Of course! Marriage is just once in a lifetime! Everything has to be perfect!" 

 

"If that's the case, then let's get married again and again." I stated, putting on a straight face. Our sisters wooed at us, brothers whistled using their fingers. Tiffany blushed furiously, making everyone laughed at her reaction. "I..I think it's time for the third dress." she grabbed another dress, pushed me back into the fitting room, welcoming herself as well before locking the door. "Why are you in here?" she pushed me to the wall instead of answering me, trapping me under her hold. "To help you try the third dress." Before I could answer, she smashed her lips onto mine roughly. I gasped when she ped my dress, "Ungghhh...Tiffany...not..now..." she ignored me and moved on to kissing my neck, when the dress was completely ped, she slid it down, leaving me under my undergarments. I tilted my head to give her more access without realization, she moved to the back of my neck near my ear and on it, causing me to moan. 

 

"Fa...family's outside, Pany-ah.." 

 

She pouted when I pushed her away lightly, but close enough for her to peck my lips before giving me an understanding nod and went out. 

 

"What were you doing inside?" I heard her sister's voice in English.

 

"N-nothing!!" followed by Tiffany's shy but loud voice. My lips automatically formed a smile before I put on the third dress. 

 

***** *****

 

I found myself staring at the reflection of myself on the mirror before me in a room, eyes fixed on a wall clock and gulped down my saliva when I saw that it was just 5 minutes left before the wedding. I turned back to the mirror and double checked my natural make up which my parents were willing to pay although it's expensive. My face was hidden behind a veil, yes, veil, remembering the memory, I smiled yet again.

 

***** *****

 

I came out from the fitting room with the third dress covered my body. The reaction was, total silence. I felt like a billion pairs of eyes were watching me, eyeing me up and down. I felt awkward, but was soon calmed down by a simple and soft whisper. 

 

"Taeyeon-ah...." Tiffany slowly approached me, I glanced at her eyes and noticed that they were glittering. At first I thought it was the effect of the lights, but then I realized that I was incorrect, her tears were what made her eyes glitter. The first tear rolled down as she placed her hands on my bare shoulders, "Taeyeon-ah..." she muttered once again, the second tear threatened to be leaving soon, and it did, the third one came, the forth, and so on. I got panic as I patted her back repeatedly, trying to comfort her. 

 

"Why are you crying? If you don't like it we can change. Please don't cry.." 

 

She shook her head and retreated her hands just to rub her eyes like a child. "No, it's just..you look too pretty in this, we finally found your wedding dress, Taengoo-ah.." I her cheek with my thumb, "So we'll take this one?" 

 

She pulled me into her arms out of the blue, "Yes, it's perfect. You're perfect, even without this dress you're still as perfect as ever. I love you, Kim Taeyeon." 

 

I hugged her tightly, shutting my eyes as I enjoyed the moment, "I love you too, Tiffany." 

 

When we were lost in our own world, we heard someone cleared his throat, bringing us back to reality. "Ehem, just in case you forgot, we are still here." 

 

"Right.." I laughed awkwardly. I pulled myself away from Tiffany, but she held my hand and faced the both of us towards our family.

 

"Everyone, meet this perfect creature from God to me, my future wife, Kim Taeyeon!" she announced proudly. "Er...we know who she is and we know that you two are getting married." Leo commented. Tiffany shrugged her shoulders, "I just suddenly had the urge to do this.." 

 

"Excuse me.." one of the staff came in, a veil hanging on her arm. "Veil or no veil?" 

 

"Yes of course!" Tiffany immediately answered, snatched the veil from the staff but not forgetting to thank her. She turned to me and made me wear the veil and took a step back to examine me carefully, tears once again took place in her eyes. "You're so perfect.." 

 

Leo and Jiwoong rolled their eyes, "Oh no...here we go again."

 

***** *****

 

A knock on the door brought me back to reality, my father's head popped up through it. "It's time, sweetheart.." he informed me and I couldn't help but feeling nervous since I knew there were a lot of people out there.

 

We linked arms when we were standing at the main entrance, and I knew, when both of these tremendous doors separate, people would stand up, music would be played and the wedding would begin instantly. "You know..I haven't tell you this before but, I'm very proud of you, my dear daughter. From this moment on, I'm handing you to a stranger which will become apart of our family to take care of you, I know she loves you and you love her. You both are very obvious with just staring at each other, I don't care even if you're marrying with a 'she' and not 'he'. In love, gender doesn't count. Like I said before, I'm very proud of you and please don't make her cry, take care of her like how she takes care of you. I love you, my daughter." 

 

I stared deeply into his eyes and he showed endless love, I kissed his cheek and hugged him tightly, "I love you too, dad. Thank you." 

 

The doors opened just in time, just like what I predicted, people standing up, music being played and I saw Tiffany in a wedding dress excitingly standing before a priest. It was such a huge audience since it was a combination of Tiffany and I's families's families and their best friends, their best friends invited another best friends, and another best friends invited another best friends. So tell me, why wouldn't it be this amount of people? In the end, they were all just strangers. 

 

My dad handed my hand to Tiffany which she instantly grabbed it tight before throwing her smile at me. Then the third predicted thing happened, the wedding began. Music was stopped and the priest started his speech.

 

"We gather here to unite these two people in marriage. Their decision to marry has not been entered into lightly and today they publicly declare their private devotion to each other. The essence of this commitment is the acceptance of each other in entirety, as lover, companion, and friend. A good and balanced relationship is one in which neither person is overpowered nor absorbed by the other, one in which neither person is possessive of the other, one in which both give their love freely and without jealousy. Marriage, ideally, is a sharing of responsibilities, hopes, and dreams. It takes a special effort to grow together, survive hard times, and be loving and unselfish."

 

He took both of our hands, "Do you both pledge to share your lives openly with one another, and to speak the truth in love? Do you promise to honor and tenderly care for one another, cherish and encourage each other, stand together, through sorrows and joys, hardships and triumphs for all the days of your lives?" Tiffany and I looked at each other before replying him, "We do."

 

"Do you pledge to share your love and the joys of your marriage with all those around you, so that they may learn from your love and be encouraged to grow in their own lives?"

 

"We do."

 

"May these rings be blessed as a symbol of your union. As often as either of you look upon these rings, may you not only be reminded of this moment, but also of the vows you have made and the strength of your commitment to each other. 

 

Taeyeon, please repeat after me. 

 

I, Kim Taeyeon, promise to love and support you, Tiffany Hwang and live each day with kindness, understanding, truth, humor, and passion. With this ring I thee wed."

 

After he finished I took Tiffany's left hand and repeated the vow. "I, Kim Taeyeon, promise to love and support you, Tiffany Hwang and live each day with kindness, understanding, truth, humor, and passion. With this ring I thee wed." Then I took the golden ring from the person who was holding the small dark blue box, " I have for you a golden ring. The most precious metal symbolizes that your love is the most precious element in my life. The ring has no beginning and no ending, which symbolizes that the love between us will never cease. I place it on your finger as a visible sign of the vows which have made us wife and wife." After saying that I slid the ring into Tiffany's left ring finger. 

 

"Tiffany, please repeat after me.

 

I, Tiffany Hwang, promise to love and support you, Kim Taeyeon and live each day with kindness, understanding, truth, humor, and passion. With this ring I thee wed."

 

It was Tiffany's turn to do what I did to her, she took my left hand like it was some precious diamond, "I, Tiffany Hwang, promise to love and support you, Kim Taeyeon and live each day with kindness,understanding, truth, humor, and passion. With this ring I thee wed." She took the other ring from the small box, leaving it being empty, "Because this ring is perfectly symmetrical, I give you this ring in God's name. It signifies the perfection of true love. As I place it on your finger, I give you all that I am and ever hope to be." and she slid it into my ring finger carefully before smiling dorkily as if she was saying 'We're married!' silently. 

 

"Go now in peace and live in love, sharing the most precious gifts you have- the gifts of your lives united. And may your days be long on this earth. I now pronounce you wife and wife. You may kiss the bride." 

 

With this sentence, I stared at Tiffany, Tiffany stared at me, the priest stared back and forth at us, the three of us must've had the same question, and I knew that the audience thought the same.

 

Who was the bride? Me or her?

 

We didn't even discuss about this, I glanced at my parents and they just shrugged their shoulders, this was a perfectly awkward moment in our wedding because every single pair of eyes were observing us. But then my veil was suddenly on the back of my head and a pair of moist lips were connecting with mine, that was when I realized, Tiffany didn't care who the groom and bride were. Thunders of clapping sounds filled the air and guess what? We're married! 

 

***** *****

 

Wearing our wedding dresses, we stood outside a terrace house which was bought together from our family and it was fully equipped from what I heard from them, this was our first time coming into it. I the key to the doorknob hole and turned it over to unlock it, before I could take the first step, Tiffany stopped me. 

 

"We still haven't decide who's the husband and who's the wife." 

 

"Now? Seriously?"

 

"Yes, right here and right now." she nodded vigorously.

 

"Ugh, I'm really tired now so let's just decide, I'm the husband and you're the wife." 

 

"What? No, that's not fair! I'm the husband!" 

 

"Excuse me? You're not suited for that role!" 

 

"As if you are! Fine, how about this? We'll decide this fair and square.." she rolled her hand into a fist.

 

"Rock paper scissor? What are you, 12?"

 

"Nope, I'm 5!" she showed me her palm and beamed me her eye smile. 

 

"Okay, let's make this two scores."

 

"Rock paper scissor!" 

 

First round, Tiffany showed rock, I was paper. One score for me.

 

"Rock paper scissor!" 

 

Second round, Tiffany showed rock again, I was scissor. I couldn't lose to her, not when I could win to being the husband. 

 

"Rock paper scissor!"

 

Third round, Tiffany showed scissor, and I was paper. Damn it! I lost! She laughed proudly after the game.

 

"See? I'm destinied to be the husband."

 

Giving up, I sighed and wanted to go in to the house. "Wait.." she stopped me for the second time.

 

"What again? Does the husband go in first?" 

 

Without warning, she lifted me in a bridal style and my hands automatically wrapped around her neck, "Husband and wife go in together." as soon as we were inside, she kicked the door closed and locked it. Tiffany placed me on the couch and knelt in front of me. "Before we touch any of the furniture other than this couch, I wrote my own vow and I want it to be heard only by you." 

 

She stood up, bringing me along and held my hand. Taking a deep breath, she started. "I, Tiffany Hwang, take you, Kim Taeyeon to be my wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, to care for you in sickness and in health, to nurture you, and to grow with you throughout the seasons of life, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, I will be yours in times of plenty and in times of want, in times of joy and in times of sorrow, in times of failure and in times of triumph, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live." 

 

I smiled lovingly at her and gave her a brief kiss. "I guess we both are really meant to be together huh?" 

 

She furrowed her eyebrows as she got perplexed for a minute, I chuckled at her reaction, "Because I also prepared my own vow, only for you, my love." I poked her nose and began to deliver my vow, "I, Kim Taeyeon, take you, Tiffany Hwang to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health. Loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the woman you will become, and falling in love a little more each day. I promise to love and cherish you through whatever life may bring us, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity, from this day forward until death do us apart."

 

When I finished she didn't say anything, neither of us really. We just let our eyes do its job, staring at each other's eyes, delivering the thousands of emotions that couldn't be described by words. But then when realization didn't come to us, we closed our gap and let our lips touched. Tilting our heads on every kiss and I must say that it was different from the other kisses we performed. Tiffany broke the kiss and pulled me into a tight embrace.

 

"Welcome to our new home, Taeyeon Hwang."