Chapter 2

Under The Rain

The next day I was late again, so it was the 98th time. The punishment today was cleaning the restroom, ladies restroom of course. And yeah, it was much more easier than cleaning the gigantic pool, so I already cleaned it.

 

The school's wall clock striked to 6.30p.m, I was done washing the restroom and I didn't realize that it took that long although I felt like I just used 5 minutes of my life. I went back to my class to take my things, but to my surprise, Tiffany was there sitting on my seat while hugging my bag, all alone. As soon as she spotted me, she stood up.

 

"Hi, Taeyeon." she greeted, trying to hide the nervousness in her voice but she failed to do so because I noticed it.

 

"Hi?" I furrowed my brow as I made my way to my seat, where she was standing.

 

"I..I..um..thank you for answering my call last night." she pursed her lips as her face turned pink. Okay, she was acting weird. This was not the Tiffany that I heard of, rumors said that she was a bully.But all I saw was an innocent child blushing madly.

 

"Who are you?" I questioned jokingly, but she seemed to take it seriously when she got one of her eyebrows cocked.

 

"I'm Tiffany? Tiffany Hwang?" 

 

"Yeah, I recognize the body and the face. I meant the soul inside."

 

"Ah, my soul's name is Hwang Mi Young" she joined the joke.

 

"So it's the Tiffany from yesterday."

 

I stood in front of her and reached my hand out, signalling her that I need my bag that was still in her hug. Once she realized it she placed it on my palm.

 

"Can I walk you to the hallway?"

she took my hand, I was startled by her action at first, but I didn't protest.

 

***** *****

 

She and I paraded to the school's hallway where the students' lockers were placed at. My eyes got a tad wider when I saw that there were still many students at the hallway, my gaze fidgeted at Tiffany and she remained calm, maybe she knew about this. Did they plan an event today?

 

Seeing this amount of the students after school wasn't weird, what really weird was they all had their eyes fixed on me, like really fixed on me. I thought that maybe they were looking at me was because I walked side by side with her, and with our hands intertwined? It felt so wrong. A thought crossed my mind, if they were looking at me because I was with her, why wouldn't they just look directly at her? It really was uncomfortable. 

 

She stopped her track when she spotted her friends then let go of my hand as she approached them. It didn't really matter, or so I thought. But I was hurt, what could be the meaning behind her actions? Why did she hold my hand then let go suddenly like I was some kind of a toy?

 

Whatever, I'm going home. I told myself and avoided their stares as best as I could. However, the atmosphere became a lot more tense when I stood in front of my locker. 

Why?

Because 99% of the people surrounding me were watching me with a smile flickered across their faces, the other 1% went to Tiffany who was dozing out the window.

 

Something was not right here. When I unlocked my locker and opened it, everyone guffawed out loud. My cheeks were burning so bad that I felt like it would leave holes to my skin. What I found inside my locker were rubbish.

 

Dirty tissues, rags, smelly socks, dirt-covered shoe and the most disgusting thing, dead mice. The smell was so musty that it was unbearable, I held my breath when I felt like vomiting. It was her doing. She was just acting innocent, I shouldn't have getting my hopes up for her to change, to stop bullying. It was a lie. It was all an act. That's it, I decided. I would go for hate, I despise her. I thought she had changed. I really thought that.

 

I slammed the door shut, making everyone went silent instantly. I sprinted towards her who was still looking out, I turned her around and slapped her hard in the face. She was so shocked that it took  awhile for her to process what was going on, only then she held the sting spot of her cheek.

 

 

"Having fun? Was it hilarious?" I didn't wait for her respond before I bolted from the school.

 

***** *****

 

It was raining hard outside. How lucky I was, being humiliated and getting a cold on the same exact day. Wow..just wow. Is Tiffany a witch or something? Because it was the second raining evening that I was involved with her. When it was raining, I was with her. When I was with her, it was raining.

 

My pace slowed down after a great run, only to quicken it again when I heard a person running from behind, chasing after me while shouting my name. But even if I tried running as fast as my legs could bring me, I was still a bit too slow for she managed to grab my wrist. 

 

"What was the slap for, Taeyeon?!" she half-screamed, tightening her grip on me. She was soaking wet like me, the rain poured down on her head making her hair all straighten up, she was quite alluring in that state. But I was too upset with her to being seduced by her sight.

 

I flinched, "Get your filthy hand off me!" I demanded, yanking her hand away. "Was it a good show? Did you have fun? Was your plan a success? Oh, of course it was! So laugh! Laugh all you want! Laugh your heart out! Was it that funny that you'd chase me under the rain just to spit it on me?!" I stuttered with hostility evident in my voice. I pushed her hard on every statement. "I thought you've changed!" I pushed again, but ended up being grabbed by her for the second time.

 

"Stop it, Kim Taeyeon!" she cried, "It ain't me! I didn't plan anything! I also had no idea that this would happen!"

 

"Still putting up on an act I see." I whispered, trying to break free from her grip, to no avail 

 

"I put no act from the beginning. From yesterday, it was all genuine, I didn't set anything up! I wouldn't hurt you..you have to believe me." Her voice turned from half shouting to a soft whisper.

 

"Why would I believe you that you won't hurt me?! Just because those words came out from your own mouth?! You're a professional bully and a spoiled rascal for heavens' sake! So tell me, how the hell do you expect me to trust you, huh?! Why wouldn't a bully like you bully a weakling like me?! Why wouldn't you set a trap to me?! Why wouldn't you burn my hair like you did to others? Why wouldn't-"

 

Just then, she lost her patience that she unconsciously said something she really shouldn't have.

 

 

"Because I love you for goodness' sake that's why!"

 

 

She confessed, but yeah, this was a bad timing for a confession. Like seriously? What idiot would confess in the middle of an argument? Not to mention that we were under the rain? Her grip loosened and I quickly stepped back.

 

"I have to be honest now or I will lose you forever. Despite the fact that you despise me and although that I already told you that I didn't set anything up, you didn't believe me but.."she sighed and adjusted her position as her face became stern, regaining confidence.

 

"I love you so much, Taeyeon. I haven't taken my eyes off you since I first laid my eyes on you."

 

I held my breath, not believing my ears. "I don't..-" she placed her cold index finger on my lips when I was about to respond.

 

"No..you listen to what I have to say first. There was a time in the Chemistry room I saw you, and it was the first time. You were making origami with your friends before the teacher came in, I remember because you were the loudest person in the class. You were really frustrated with the paper 'cause all of your friends succeeded except you, in making the origami I mean. You pouted and shouted at the paper before you crumpled it to a ball and threw it into the dustbin. Your friends hee-hawed at you but you just flashed them a cryptic smile, I wasn't sure it was because you felt awesome for being the reason of your friends' laughter or because of embarrassment. But I was sure of one thing, that smile, your smile..along with that dimple was extremely stunning that my heartbeat paced up without me knowing. That was how I first observed  you, my impression to you was like 'Wow! Who is this girl? I've never seen someone like her before, like ever! This girl is very rare. Her attitude is childish but owns an exquisite-cute face and a perfect figure, also owns a stunning smile that lit up the whole class like a candle. I can't dismiss this girl, I've been searching a person like this for my  whole life and I finally did..' After that day I can't seem to control not to think of you, your face crosses my mind every single night, when I close my eyes I see you, when I open my eyes I still see you.What the hell did you do to me Taeyeon? You polluted my mind. You're like a drug that I'm addicted to and yes, I'm addicted to you. I dream of you every night, sometimes I feel like dream is better than reality where I can be with you without worrying what people will think of us, I can kiss you anytime and anywhere I want, I can hold your hand wherever we go, I can protect you from any harm and all of that will continue until our last breath. In my dream you are mine, in reality you are my dream. Reality or not, dream or not, I'm just aware that all I can think of is you. So tell me how to stop, will you? When the thought of you being taken by somebody else crosses my mind, it really pains me to the point that I'm ready to commit suicide when the time comes. I was being very patience, for you to come for me but I didn't see that coming, not even a chance so I knew that I am the one who needs to make the first move between us. Right here and right now, I want to make you mine, in both reality and dream."

 

She stopped and inhaled, then I felt a pair of arms sneaked their way around my waist, pulling me closer and before I knew it I melted into her embrace, listening to her heartbeat and I smiled in secret, knowing that her heartbeat beats three times faster just for me.

 

"Will I stay where it's safe and sound?" she suddenly mumbled. I frowned immediately after hearing what she said but kept silent. It was familiar, way too familiar. "Or will I fight till I hit the ground?" she continued, "Inside this bitter cage, all the flowers wilt down in the crimson sky. Take my hand, will we run or stay in this world full of cruelty? Will we take arms, with the hopes to see the sun again? We pray. Do we lack the strength to fight? Have we lost the will to fly? The world is dark, the world is cruel. But still we hang on tight. If this final breath could somehow save this world, I'd breathe my last sigh and close my tired eyes. And all the ones we lost, we'd find again in this beautiful world we've wished for. But the world grows darker, we can't recover, this narrow cage that we depend on slowly crumbles. Is this the end we cannot mend? We're slowly dying, if we're here even with fear we must keep fighting."

 

I pulled away from her, staring deeply into her eyes, "Where'd you hear that?" I questioned for the first time in her long confessions. She my hair lovingly, tugging some of it behind my ear.

 

"Once in the Biology room, you left your personal book opened and went somewhere with your friends. I took that opportunity to snap a photo of that page and I read it every single night until it's stuck in my brain. Maybe someday I would say it to you to impress you, and that someday is today I suppose. Did you write that by yourself?" I nodded and she followed suit with a silent 'ah'.

 

"No wonder it took just a matter of time for me to understand you." she exclaimed, I furrowed my brows, trying to find out what she meant. "I also feel the same way as what you have written in that page. It really reflects me, you reflect me. It gives people positive vibes, you know?" she held my hands, "Um..now that I told you what I feel for you, you have to believe me..please.." she begged, showing sadness in her eyes. "B-but if you don't feel the same, it's okay..we'll just stay as..-"

 

I tiptoed and pecked her on the lips, when I realized what I was doing, my face reddened as I stepped back. Only to be pulled by her again as she brushed her lips against mine, connecting it for the second time. Seconds later I felt her small pink muscle its way on my bottom lip, asking for permission. I gladly allowed it as I opened my mouth for it to enter, soon our tongues fought each other before we pulled away, saliva evident on both our lips, we gasped for oxygen desperately. 

 

"I love you too pabo." I flickered her forehead lightly before throwing her a smile.

 

A small smile crept upon her lips before giving my forehead a kiss.

"I'll fetch you for school tomorrow and the following days. No, following years." she suggested.

 

"Why? It'd be a burden to you so you don't have to do that."

 

"But I want to..and well, I have four official reasons for this. First, because I love you. Second, because you're my girlfriend now. Third, it's not a burden to fetch my girl. Fourth, so you wouldn't be late for the first time in 98th time." she pinched my nose, I pouted. That was when something hit me to realization. "You know how many times I was late?"

 

"Yeah, I counted it from the very beginning." she blushed, "I think we need to get home now. I feel like we've been standing under the rain for ages. I'll give you a ride, wash yourself once you step inside your house so you won't get a cold the next day, got it?" she demanded, her voice full of concern. 

 

"Affirmative.." I jokingly saluted her like I was in the military. "But hey, if you aren't the one to do all of that, who's behind that?"

 

She sighed for the numerous time, "I know just who. Remember that girl who interrupted us yesterday? She confessed to me and I knew it was coming once she approached us. But I rejected her because I have no feelings for her, I'm not the kind of person who plays people's feelings and I want to stay loyal to you although that that time you were not mine. She asked me who I liked while glaring at me with hatred and with no emotions, I said that I loved you and she shouted what was so good about you, I told her that everything that is connected to you is perfection. She stormed her feet away as she swore that she would hurt you to see me suffer, and I didn't think she actually would do that because she knew that you would blame it on me." she explained, "I'm sorry that this had to happen.." she lowered her head.

 

"No, Tiffany.." I used my index finger and lifted her chin up as I placed another kiss on her lips. "I'm the one who should be apologizing..I'm really sorry." I squeezed her hands.

 

"For what?"

 

"For not trusting you.." I wrapped my arms around her neck and hugged her."I'm very sorry, I love you, Tiffany. I love you very much."

 

She chuckled, "That's okay..there's no need to apologize. We're both at fault so that's equal. What matters is we know that we love each other now."

 

After that evening, my life became much more easier. She picked me up from my house and sent me home from school everyday. And yes, I have learned my lesson from what I've been through. 

 

If you get into troubles, especially if it's included that special someone, well included or not, just don't jump to conclusions without knowing the whole story. Like the saying, 'Don't jugde a book by its cover', it's true after all. Sometimes people with the most ugly face are the ones with the innocent hearts, and they could be loyal. Sometimes people with the perfect features are the ones with ugly hearts. Sometimes beautiful people have beautiful hearts. Sometimes ugly people have ugly hearts. You know what's  important the most in people? 

 

Inner beauty.