The Other Universal Superstar

It's Like Looking in a Mirror. Only...Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2015/07/03

The second half of the radio broadcast was running smoothly so far.  Thankfully, there were no equipment malfunctions during Seventeen’s live performance and everything was going according to schedule.  Although getting all thirteen members settled took a bit longer than expected, the blonde DJ was pleased to see how well-mannered, as well as professional, these young men were.  Despite having spent the time in between schedule to read the limited description provided by the radio staff, Ryeowook was still faced with some difficulty when attempting to match given names (as well as the slightly odd stage names) with each new face.

‘Is this how the fans felt when Super Junior and EXO debuted?’

Due to the lack of time in comparison to the large number of individuals, initial introductions had been severely limited for the time being.  However, there were already one or two individuals that stood out.  There was Dino, the bright-eyed and enthusiastic maknae of the group whom Ryeowook already developed a soft spot for, despite that fact that the younger boy really should have been asleep by now, especially since the time was slowly approaching midnight.  Finding out that the boy was a 99’ liner was indeed an unexpected surprise, although having previously met Red Velvet’s Yeri, who was the same age as Dino, slightly softened the blow. 

Then again, the blonde DJ was taken aback once more when the handsome leader of the group, S. Coups, proudly revealed himself as not only the oldest member of the group, but also as a 95’ liner.  Apparently being the oldest of the rookie group still meant being nearly a decade younger than the 87’ liner man himself.  Ryeowook, feeling slightly irked at his mental comparison between his own age and two Seventeen members, brushed off the thought, chuckling as he jokingly threatened to continue the broadcast without the rookie group.

Yet, despite ten year difference between Super Junior and Seventeen, Ryeowook could see some similarities and differences between the two groups.  Compared to Kyuhyun and himself (both whom were far too awkward and tense during those early years), Dino was already capable of speaking and presenting himself without any signs of wavering due to fear, almost as if he had already spent a few years as a debuted idol.  S. Coups, on the other hand, reminded him of Leeteuk at the age of twenty-two, especially when the 95’ liner’s lips curved into a proud smile after the group introduction.  Not only were the dimpled smiles similar, but both group leaders were overflowing with charisma at such a young age.  Although the long and arduous years of training were very apparent, Ryeowook suspected that S. Coups certainly had the potential to continue growing into an even more talented individual with the hopes of marking his rightful place within the Hallyu world.

“They’ve all worked so hard.’ Ryeowook mused as he quickly glanced over the other members that had already gone through the speed interview.

There was the second oldest, as well as prettiest, member of the group, Jeonghan, who Ryeowook recalled from the group photo he had been given.  After all, the long, flowing hair was an appealing characteristic that helped the man stand out more within the thirteen member group.  Next to him was Joshua (‘Joshua…not JoSyuYa…’) who came from the United States.  Although the Seventeen member seemed quite nervous when everyone’s attention was focused on him, he still impressed Ryeowook with his short demonstration of playing the guitar.

“Next up is Seventeen’s,” a pause came from Mikyung. “ehhh? Kim Heechul?!”

‘Heechullie hyung?!’

The blonde idol curiously glanced around the room, quickly shuffling between each member in front of him.  However, when he couldn’t find this other ‘Kim Heechul’, his first reaction was to slip out an embarrassingly loud, “Who!?”

It wasn’t until the brunette on his far left awkwardly bowed his head, greeting the older idol with a friendly “Hello, I’m Jun”, that Ryeowook burst out w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter