Shooting Stars

Poles Apart

Tao's POV

 

I have woken up to the rattling noises coming from outside the tent. Yifan wasn't there and his place was left cold. I went outside and saw Luhan with some other students holding fishing rods and other group of students were building something that looked like a small boat.

 

I washed my face and changed my clothes and joined Luhan and Suho sitting up at the lake fishing. Luhan tried to teach me how to hold the fishing rod and control the reel but I gave up too early and just sat there watching them. I looked for Yifan and I saw him sitting at the other side of the lake fishing with Yixing and Chanyeol. Another group along with some teachers prepared the camp grill and started the fire.

 

The lunch was ready earlier than expected and everyone enjoyed the food, it tasted so good they wanted to have more. When we finished our food I helped some students in cleaning up.

 

Later on we were divided into teams. Some of us chose soccer and others played volleyball. I got teamed up with Luhan and Suho and we played soccer. Luhan was good at it I can't deny that. He was the main reason of our win.

 

"Guys!! Our band is playing soon." One of the teachers announced while we were relaxing at the lake. I've noticed some students already choosing a good spot in front of some small stage they've built. Some of them were sitting on the grass and the others brought a blanket with them. 

 

"Lu let's go! I wanna see them play.." I said already standing up and pulling the worn out guy to his feet.

 

We sat there on our mats and waited for the band to get on the stage. The place started to get cramped and late-comers could barely find a spot to sit on. 'first-come, first-served.' I thought to myself as I looked around. All of the students on the trip were waiting expect for three, Kris and two of his friends. I was wondering if they'll ever be here, I was just about to ask Luhan but the band members got on the stage. I could hear the students cheering and whistling while they were connecting the instruments and other equipments on the huge speakers. There was Chanyeol at the drums, Baekhyun was changing the microphone stand screw to a smaller insert, Yixing was connecting some cables to the electronic keyboard, and Yifan was tuning his guitar.

 

"They look so hot!" Some girl squealed to her friends, "especially Yifan he looks so good with that white shirt! How is he even single?" She continued.

 

I turned around looking at the girls sitting behind us. 'They looked pretty too' I looked back at the stage and there was Yifan already staring at me. He smiled and waved hi with his hand. And just then I thought what the girls said is so true he should wear white more often.

 

Yifan walked to the microphone. he had to bend down to give his speech thanks to Baekhyun.

 

"Hello guys, thank you for being here. First we'll play some of our new songs, I hope that you'll like them. and then we'll take requests from you, how is that?" Students eagerly anticipated and started to cheer for them again. Yifan smiled and went back to his position leaving the microphone to Baekhyun. 

 

Chanyeol started off with the rhythm count then Yifan and Yixing joined, the music was loud, very loud. Baekhyun started to sing and I couldn't believe that such a strong voice is coming out from his small body. They all looked confident like they have already done million shows before. Yifan wasn't looking at the guitar chords he was scanning the dancing crowd and checking on his bandmates.

 

Even though it was just a school band, even though they were just students at my age but it felt like they're the best band I have ever known, it was like nothing I had ever experienced. and I kept asking myself the whole time 'is this real, am I actually here right now?'

 

They started to take requests from the students, and in that moment everyone was dancing to some hit song, they were singing the lyrics so loudly and I could barely hear myself singing with them. 

 

After playing for two hours they were so exhausted. Baekhyun's voice started to crack and he keeps on drinking water. They were sweating even though it was very cold. Every time they wanted to wrap up the crowd would chant 'encore' and Chanyeol would yell back at them 'have mercy'.

 

"Aren't you guys tired yet?" Yifan was at the microphone again, he laughed at the protests coming from the students. "Ugh so we really need to wrap up it's almost sunset but I wanna do this one last song if guys don't mind. It goes to a friend of mine. He really liked this band but somehow he couldn't attend their concert. So.. we're not half as good as them. Chanyeol just learned this song overnight, I can't sing or hit any high notes but I really wish that you would like it.."

 

The whole world stopped for a moment. I couldn't believe the words I'm hearing. I felt paralyzed. Yifan started to sing and play the guitar along with Chanyeol, he was looking directly into my eyes and I felt like it was only the two of us out there. He was singing my favorite song of that band. And i'm sure that he checked my top 25 most played songs because the song he's singing right now comes first.

 

His voice was so deep and filled with emotions, the song seemed slower than the original, would it be really bad if I liked this one more? The way he was playing the guitar was a bit different too but it was creating a perfect harmony. The crowd started to clap their hands to the beat. The song was coming to an end but I never wanted him to stop singing. This is the nicest thing someone has ever done to me, and I like it, I really like it but do I deserve it? My cheeks felt wet, I touched it and there was tears coming from my eyes. 'Why am I crying? Is it because this song always made me feel emotional? Or just because I'm so happy I don't think that I can contain it.'

 

The song is over and the crowd started to head back next to the lake after cheering and clapping for the band, some students went on stage taking selfies with the members. I couldn't see Yifan thanks to the load of boys and girls draped all over him. I laid down on the mat waiting for the annoying students to leave. I looked at the sky, the sun started to set, it's rays glimmering in the darkness, the sky looked so beautiful with it's colors. It was peaceful and calming I closed my eyes wanting to treasure this moment.

 

"You are not sleeping, are you?"

 

My eyes shot open, I blinked few times not believing that Yifan was there, stooping above me, I looked over the stage and the students were still there, I looked back at Yifan and instantly jumped from my place.

 

"Ah, no. I w-was waiting..for you." I said not daring to look at him in the eyes. It's always like this when I'm around him, I feel like I wanna do my best but then I stress out and up everything.

 

"Why were you crying? was it that bad?" He asked and chuckled to himself.

 

"No.. Yifan it was good I swear!"

 

"Then why were you crying?" He asked again but this time he grasped my chin so gently till our eyes met.

 

"I don't know.. I can't control it.."

 

"I told you before I hate to see you cry and I hate the fact that I'm the reason behind it."

I didn't know what to say. Why does he care that much for me? Why does he make me feel so special when I'm nothing comparing to each and every single student in here.

 

He was about to say something when he got interrupted by the girl from the bus calling him again.

 

"I'll see you later." He smiled wanly and ruffled my hair out of habit. 

 

He took a step already leaving, I didn't know what to do. I wanted him to stay, to talk like last night. But I'm just the new student, I'm no one to him. I brushed my hand across his trying to hold it. He stopped and turned around.

 

"Yifan..Thank y-you for the song."

 

He flashed me one of his smiles again, nodding his head as in 'you're welcome' but I prefer if he would say it verbally. 

 

 

 

3rd person POV

 

Tao went back next to the lake where Luhan is waiting for him. Luhan asked him if he was okay, or if something has happened. He just shrugged it off with "I'm just tired." He was physically present with his friends and the other students but his mind was somewhere else. It was Yifan, all he could think about was Yifan. He's not sure why is his heart beating this fast when Yifan is around him, or why is he stumbling over his words when he talks to him. It's all new to Tao. He's not sure of his own feelings.

 

They have had dinner. And Luhan was worrying over Tao. He was just sitting there staring at the untouched food in front of him.

 

"Tao is there something wrong?" Luhan asked again when they were walking to their tent.

 

"No.. I'm just tired Lu." 

 

"Why didn't you eat anything?" Luhan asked again. Tao was not himself and he wants to know what happened to him.

 

"I'm not hungry."

 

Luhan thought it's better to drop it. Tao would tell him everything whenever he's ready. They got into their sleeping bags and got their phones out. Luhan was texting his Mom and Tao was reading the dashboard on his favorite app.

 

"Luhan they say there will be lots of shooting stars later, do you think we can stay up till midnight?" Tao asked excitedly. He got out of his sleeping bag and showed Luhan the news he was reading. 

 

"No you're going to sleep! You said that you're tired! Plus tomorrow we will go hiking early in the morning." 

 

"I really wanna see it." Tao whispered to himself but it was loud enough for Luhan to hear.

 

"Tao it's just a small rock from space that is burning up in the upper atmosphere! Let's not waste our time on this." Luhan was being logical; why would people think that a fallen rock would do miracles and grant them their wishes. "Let's go to sleep we've such a long day tomorrow."

 

It's not like Tao haven't seen a shooting star before but he just likes it. It's his sweet fantasy and he believes in it even though none of his wishes have ever come true.

 

Luhan fell asleep long time ago, and Tao is still debating whether he should go outside alone or just let it go and fall asleep.

 

Soon enough he made his decision, he took his jacket and left the tent trying so hard not to make any sounds he felt like a robber. The place was so quite everyone was fast asleep he could hear some snores coming from one of the tents. He was standing next to the lake looking at the sky, it was so cold his fingers went numb he can't feel them anymore, but he thought it's worth it even if he was shaking so badly he still wanted to see it.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

Tao let out a faint cry as he jumped in fear. He turned around looking at Yifan who was grinning at him.

 

"Y-you..startled me!" Tao said raising his hands over his heart.

 

"I'm sorry. But really what are you doing here alone?" Yifan asked again and took a few steps forward.

 

Tao was silent for a moment should he spell out the real silly reason and let Yifan laugh at him or just cover it with 'I need some air'.

 

"They say there’s some shooting stars tonight and I wanna see it." Tao regretted it the moment these words left his mouth. He knew all Yifan is gonna say is 'go to sleep don't waste your time.'

 

"Really? That's cool." Yifan smiled again while looking at the black sky.

 

"A-are..you..joking?"

 

"About what?"

 

"You don't think it's stupid? And it's just a fallen burning rock?" Tao asked, quoting Luhan's words.

 

"No it's not stupid of course. Hey Tao wanna go up the trail? The sky would look better from there."

 

"Is it okay?"

 

"What do you mean? Okay by whom?"

 

"What if our teachers found out? They're going to scold us. And what if a wild animal attacked us?"

 

"Tao you're just freaking out! Go get a flashlight and meet me here."

 

Tao went back to the tent he took out 2 flashlights in case they got lost. He went back next to the lake waiting for Yifan and after 2 minutes he showed up.

 

"Ready?"

 

"Yes." Tao answered and nodding his head.

 

The path in front of them looked dangerous. Tao almost slipped but Yifan was there to catch him. "Hey! Be careful clumsy."

 

They were walking hand in hand. And Tao only noticed that when he could finally feel his frozen fingers again, Yifan's hand was so warm, and Tao's hand felt so small in his.

 

After 15 minutes they've reached the hill. Tao's heart was pounding and his lungs were gasping for air.

 

"We're here." Yifan proclaimed looking at the sky that's full of stars in front of them.

 

Tao looked up and he was fascinated. It was one of these luminous nights where you can see them in movies and magazines. The sky was shining and all the clouds have disappeared, the moon looked so bright and the breeze was calming.

 

"You like it?" Yifan asked looking at Tao who was in awe.

 

"Yeah.. This place is perfect." Tao answered forgetting about the sky and looking at Yifan who was extremely close to him.

 

"So we'll just wait for your star to make an appearance." Yifan was gazing at the sky searching for that one shooting star that would make Tao happy.

 

"Yifan.. Thank you."

 

"For what exactly?" 

 

"Coming here.. You're the first one who would ever agree on going to see a shooting star with me.. Everyone thought it's a silly thing to do and a waste of time."

 

"I enjoy it.. You know somedays I would go stargazing alone too.. I like that stars.. The universe and galaxies.. I actually read books about them."

 

They spent their time talking about the galaxies and naming the stars. Yifan would tell Tao some stories about the massive supernovas and the black holes. Yifan would look at the sky every once in a while but Tao's eyes were locked on Yifan only. When their eyes meet Yifan would pause for a moment taking in the true beauty in front of him. Tao would pout wanting him to continue the interesting story about that one supernova. In that moment Tao was consciously falling in love with the universe, and Yifan was unconsciously falling in love with Tao.

 

"Hey!! You've seen that?" Yifan screamed at the top of his lungs pointing at the sky with his finger. 

 

"No.. What is it?" Tao answered looking at the direction Yifan is pointing at. 

 

"It's a shooting star!! You didn't see it? It was so bright." 

 

"Oh.. No I was looking.. I mean I was listening to you." Tao felt disappointed, they've been waiting for so long and when a shooting star finally appeared he missed it. He couldn't take his eyes off Yifan, that's why he doesn't regret it. He would miss thousands of shooting stars just to look at Yifan's eyes.

 

"What shall we do now? You wanted to make a wish upon that one."

 

"It's okay.. it doesn't matter anyway. I had fun being here.. w-with y-you." 

 

Yifan took his mobile phone out of his pocket, he checked the time and looked back at Tao.

 

"Let's just stay here for 20 minutes more?" Yifan suggested.

 

"Okay."

 

They both fell into silence, looking up at the sky again. None of them wanted to go back, they like it here, Tao is happy and that's Yifan's purpose.

 

"Hey Tao why did you come here? I mean why you left home?" Yifan decided to break the silence and make the best out of their time together.

 

"It's Mom's job. She works in a company that has 3 branches here in Korea, China and Japan, she's the supervisor that's why we need to move around every once in a while."

 

"That's cool. You've been to so many places I bet that you could give a tour guide!" Yifan got so excited, he wanted to know about these places and if they could visit them one day. 

 

"No.. I don't know anything about it. I just don't go out that much." Tao was awkwardly fidgeting his fingers.

 

"What do you mean? don't you go out with your friends exploring places?"

 

"I've never had any friends back at Japan, I've always found it pretty difficult due to the language barrier, and in China I would just sneak to these places that are close to my house or school, just like what I do here in Korea and I don't get far unless mom is driving."

 

"Is it like your mom doesn't trust your friends or something like that?" Yifan was confused. Tao is old enough for him to go wherever he wanted. He's not a kid anymore to get him locked at home and play with his toys.

 

"No.. She doesn't like it when I go out without her.. she's kinda like so protective." 

 

"That's ridiculous! So she was with you on your first date?" Yifan's voice was dripping with sarcasm.

 

"No.. I mean..I don't know.. I've never asked her." 

 

"Asked her what? to come with you on your first date?"

 

"No.. I mean I've never asked her if I can date." Tao dropped his eyes to the floor not looking back at Yifan who was scanning him.

 

"Whoa does your mom lock you in a cage or something? I wonder how you're even here without her!"

 

"She's on a business trip. She only allowed me to come here because she talked with some teachers to keep an eye on me."

 

 

Another 7 minutes passed, and each one of them was thinking in his own world, but ironically they were in each other's worlds, Yifan couldn't stop thinking about Tao and how he spent his life as prisoner.

 

"Hey Tao!! Make a wish right now!!” Yifan announced so suddenly, pushing his mobile phone that's showing the time towards Tao's face.

 

"What? What do you mean?" Tao was so confused.

 

"It's 11:11 make a wish to make up on that shooting star you missed."

 

"What is 11:11? Yifan I don't get it." 

 

"Just hurry and make a wish I'll explain it later." 

 

Tao closed his eyes. Wishing on a new thing he never thought of before. His wish was simple but meaningful. All he wished for was for this moment to last, to have Yifan in his life.

 

"Now your wish will be granted for sure." Yifan said jokingly smiling at Tao right after he opened his eyes.

 

"But what's the meaning behind that? Why 11:11?"

 

"Well no one knows the origin of this idea, but it's the only time of the day that all the numbers on the clock are the same. Some people say when you see these numbers it means that there is some kind of a window opening up in your life and you should ask for the guidance of your angels to find out what's hidden for you." Yifan explained while getting lost into Tao's curious eyes.

 

"Oh.. I really like that. Thank you Yifan."

 

Yifan smiled and nodded at him. They stayed there for a little bit more till Tao yawned so cutely making him look like a kitten. 

 

"Hey you wanna go back?" 

 

"Hmm.. Let's go."

 

They walked back to the lake. Tao slipped with every step, Yifan offered him his hand to hold onto. They got closer to Tao's tent when he almost bumped into someone but Yifan pulled him back towards him. Tao didn't need to look at that certain person to know who he is, all he did is to look at Yifan and when he saw how his relaxed features instantly turned into anger he knew it was no other than Kris.

 

Kris looked at Tao from head to toe with a huge smirk on his face. To tell the truth Tao felt both offended and scared at the same time. Kris turned around and walked away without uttering a word, neither Yifan, he was standing extremely close to Tao holding his hand so tightly.

 

Tao looked at Yifan, he still looked pissed off but he managed to smile and end this long day with "goodnight, sleep well".

 

 

A\n: I'm so sorry guys it took so long for me to update, I've been so busy with projects and college;( I hope you like this chapter and thank you for your comments really they mean so much to me. <3