Musical Preparations

Only In My Dream

Principal Ahn posted an announcement on the bulletin board for the students to read. Thus, the students crowded like ants crowding around pieces of scraps.

"Whoah! There will be an audition!" they said.

Every student can join, including the third year students, but it was already impossible for them to be in plays because they will be busy in their college applications. That leaves the second year students to try hard to get the role.

"Hmph! I will get the female lead, that's for sure," He Yi proudly said.

*****

Principal Ahn and the music teacher went to the music room that afternoon to talk to the band about the musical, when he found the twins on the keyboard. They did not get in immediately because they were observing. Mi Nyu was playing the keyboard while Mi Nam was looking at her play. She played Scott Joplin's  "The Entertainer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmruHc4S9Q

"Wow! She is good!" the music teacher whispered.

"I agree," Principal Ahn said.

After Mi Nyu played the piece, the music teacher and the principal clapped their hands as they went inside.

"That was good, Mi Nyu," the music teacher said. "I wonder why they did not take you in the band."

"It's because 'I' was taken in," Mi Nam said rudely.

"Omo! Sorry, I forgot," the teacher said.

"Gamsahamnida..." Mi Nyu replied to the teacher politely.

"Mi Nyu, do you know how to play the Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor?" the teacher asked. "The Rach 3?"

"Huh?" Mi Nyu asked.

"Well, I have to be honest, but not all pianists love the Rach 3 because it is notorious and meticulous. Even I could not do it," the teacher confessed. "But I have to congratulate both of you for being talented and hardworking."

"I agree," Principal Ahn said. "If you both will still do well, I think both of you will still be in the first section next year."

The students bowed as they thanked the teacher and the principal.

"I think you have read the announcement at the bulletin board," Principal Ahn said.

"Huh?" Mi Nyu cluelessly asked.

"Ah, ne, I have," Mi Nam said. "But I don't have to worry, right? The band will not audition, right?"

"Right," the principal said. "The band will be automatically included in the school play."

"So, this is some kinda...modern musical?" Mi Nam asked proudly.

"Ne," the teacher said.

"Whohoo!!!! This is great!" Mi Nam cheered. "I will be in a play without even going to auditions."

"The band will not audition," the music teacher said to Mi Nam. "But you will."

"MWO?????????" Mi Nam asked in shock.

"That's the truth," the principal said crisply.

"Eotteohke????? Why me????" Mi Nam sobbed, like the cute and fake sobbing in Japanese anime, with tears flowing down like waterfalls.

"Mianhae, Mi Nam-ah, but everytime AN Jell performs, even if Tae Kyung is the lead singer, I could not help but notice you," the teacher said. "Especially when you can still afford to wink or wave or give flying kisses to your fans."

"What do you mean, Ssaem?" Mi Nam asked.

"I am not saying that Tae Kyung is bad, or that Shin Woo or Jeremy are not good either," he told the student. "You just have stage presence."

Stage presence.

"Jeongmalyo?" Mi Nam asked.

The teacher nodded.

Stage presence.

It was enough to inflate Mi Nam's already inflated ego.

"I'll do it!" he exclaimed.

"You need to audition first," the principal said. "Tomorrow at three in the afternoon, you can ask permission from your teachers to excuse you. I had a meeting with all the teachers already and they agreed."

"All right!" Mi Nam exclaimed.

"And if ever you will be chosen in the school play, Mi Nyu will have to play the keyboard for you," the music teacher said.

"Me?" the female twin asked in shock. 

"Ne. We saw that you could also play the keyboard, so it was enough for us to go with our plans of having Mi Nam audition," the principal said.

Mi Nyu got worried. If she were in the band, it means that she will receive orders from Tae Kyung, whose reception regarding her love affair with Shin Woo was not good.

"Are you all right with it, Mi Nyu?" the principal asked.

"Uh...ye..." she replied, not wanting to give them a bad impression.

The teacher and the principal were very much happy with the results, so they thanked the students before walking away. While Mi Nam was rejoicing, Mi Nyu told him about her concern.

"Omo... did he really not accept it?" Mi Nam asked. "I know that Hyungnim likes you by the looks of it, but really, did he took it hard?"

Mi Nyu nodded.

"Annyeong!!!!!" Jeremy greeted as he got in the room.

Tae Kyung and Shin Woo got in too.

"What's wrong?" Tae Kyung asked.

Mi Nam told him that although the band will not have auditions, he was chosen to audition.

"MWO????" Tae Kyung asked. "Did I not tell you that no one will audition for the play?"

"What can I do?" Mi Nam asked helplessly. "The principal and the music teacher requested me to try out."

"And who will play the keyboard?" Tae Kyung asked, and Mi Nyu raised her hand. "You?"

Mi Nyu nodded. She was afraid that the class president will punish her.

"You know, even if I could not accept that our Shin Woo became your boyfriend, but do not worry," he assured her. "I will treat you professionally."

Shin Woo tapped Tae Kyung by the shoulder and thanked him. Tae Kyung said it was all right, but his reception was icy, and the guitarist could tell that the leader was being half-sincere.

"All right!" the drummer shouted happily. "We could still be complete!"

**********

And so, the next day, the audition started.

He Yi did her best to sing, dance, and act so that the judges will be impressed. The VP did not audition because no one will be responsible for the class in case Tae Kyung will be in practices.

Mi Nam finally lost his wits. He did not know what to perform for his audition, so the twin told him that he could try to sing to showcase his singing talent.

"What will I sing? 'Sorry, sorry'?" he asked her.

"I believe in you, Oppa," Mi Nyu said. "Just do whatever you want to do, and you will be fine."

Soon, Mi Nam was called, and then, when asked what he will present, he spaced out. 

"I have to do this!" he thought. "I cannot disappoint the principal and the teacher."

Finally, he replied.

"I will sing," Mi Nam said.

He borrowed Shin Woo's guitar and sang "If Ever You're In My Arms Again." The teachers were impressed because he not only can play the piano, he also could play the guitar. The strumming of the guitar sounded like the Spanish guitar, and the hot afternoon felt like there was a gentle breeze blowing on their cheeks. Even Mi Nam's cool and soothing voice and calm demeanor added to the relaxation of the judges.

 

 
It all came so easy, all the loving you gave me
The feelings we shared, and I still can remember
How your touch was so tender, it told me you cared
 
We had a once in a lifetime
But I  just couldn’t see, until it was gone
A second once in a lifetime, may be too much to ask
But I swear from now on
 
Chorus:
If ever you’re in my arms again
This time I’ll love you much better
If ever you’re in my arms again
This time I’ll hold you forever
This time will never end...
 
 
"Impressive!" one teacher said.
 

"I agree!"

The auditions lasted till night, so Mi Nyu had to go home even before Mi Nam could walk out the stage. They had an agreement that if it was already late, she could go home.

So, she went to the locker to put in her things when she saw a yellow envelop on top of her books.

"Love letter," she squealed.

She had placed a love letter in Shin Woo's locker, so she checked if he had retrieved it. Of course, it was no longer there. ^_^

******

When she got to the jetty, she saw Shin Woo throwing some small stones at the sea.

"Shin Woo-hyung," she called out, making some people look at her strangely.

She realized that she was to call Shin Woo as Shin Woo-oppa, not her hyung.

"Come," he told her.

She sat next to him and leaned on his shoulder.

"I hope Hyungnim will be kind enough not to punish me whenever we are together," she told him.

"You can just bear with it," he told her. "I'm with you, right?"

And she nodded. They spent some sweet moments sitting next to each other while watching the sun set.