CHAPTER 17

Lord of Darkness Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Duke Cha Seung-won's funeral was attended by almost all prominent and well-known citizens of Haldor. All the five regents were present, so were King Donghae and Queen Jessica and their two children. Everyone who joined the funeral procession had to ride horses since travel from Lord Seung-won's villa to the City of the Dead would take almost four hours if done on foot. And though using an airship or an air balloon would get them there quicker, the funeral procession had always been traditionally done on horseback. Regular people attending the funerals of their loved ones would rent horses rather than walk. Those who could not afford to rent a horse, would simply stay home and offer silent prayers.

 

Dara learned from Cloud, who had begun collecting every news, information, and gossip from the servants and staffs in the villa, that Lord Seung-won had long since known he was about to die, so he made future preparations for his funeral and burial. Everyone who would come to the funeral had to follow the rules Lord Seung-won himself had set down. Lord Seung-won had meticulously planned everything in advance. From the attendees' position in the funeral march to the color of the clothes that they must all wear. Those who would not adhere to Lord Seung-won's last wishes were to be immediately barred from attending.

 

The traditional white color worn by funeral attendees had now become light green. And the usual mournful music performed by musicians riding on a large open carriage had been replaced by a much more upbeat music. Dara soon realized that the music being played during the long march from Seung-won's villa to his mausoleum in the City of the Dead were songs she as a child had sung with her friends as they play their games. The music was more like a celebration of life than the sorrows one felt for a loved one who had passed away.

 

Duke Seung-won never had children. And his wife had died several years ago. He never married again but chose to dedicate his life in the service for Haldor and the king.

 

"I found out that Jaejoong would be the beneficiary of all the wealth and properties of Lord Seung-won," chatted Cloud who was floating near Dara's right shoulder. She and the other members of Jaejoong's Sixth League rode at the rear of the funeral march. The brown mare brought by Donghae was given to her by Jaejoong to become her steed. She was called Sicilian and proved to be well trained for her young age which according to Yoochun was only ten months old.

 

The Mussur League was also with their group. Junsu introduced her as the new member of the Sixth League to the three members of the Mussur League but purposely avoided telling them who she really was.

 

Jaejoong had strictly instructed the Sixth League that Dara's true identity must remain secret for the time being. And that only those they trust would be told the truth if the necessity arose. In order not to raise suspicions about her, Jaejoong had also instructed Cloud to keep her company and to get her up to date on everything that had happened for the last twenty years. It was a task that made the black cloud happy. Dara wasn't sure what to feel about Cloud becoming her history teacher. Cloud had a tendency to tell everything in full detail.

 

Among the things that Dara managed to remember from the nonstop spewing of information from Cloud was that, every member of the League could see Cloud. Jaejoong would never accept any mage, warrior or scientist into the League if they could not see Cloud. In spite of the loss of faith of many people in the Oracle, most of the population of Haldor still remained unable to see and hear the little, black cloud.

 

"I too am puzzled why even some powerful mages couldn't see me," Cloud mused. "And those who could see me have no identical qualities, skill, age or whatsoever that make

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter