Dear Madam

Should I Keep This Love (collection of one shots)

 

“Brrrrr...” I shivered while walking down the path towards my house with groceries in my hand. It was cold and unusually dark. The wind was whistling and hitting me as I passed each street. It sure really cold tonight. It’s not even winter. Gracious. I have to be home fast or I’m going to freeze. I picked up my pace as I approached my destination. “Home sweet home. La la la” I hummed with the thoughts of having hot meal once I’m in my house.

“What’s this?!”

I stopped my pace when I heard a loud shouting coming from the house across the road. My neighbor is at it again.

“Where did you get this crap from?! I can’t eat this! Are you trying to kill me, hah?!”

“That’s all we have in the fridge and you don’t even at least lend me the groceries money.”

“Lend you money?! Where is the money I gave you last month?!

“That’s for last month! You don’t give me the groceries money this month and that’s why I can only cook this!”

 “Don’t act smart! You damn !”

SMACK!

A sobbing can be heard and I could only shake my head. They have been arguing like this from the day I moved into this neighbourhood. Heck. Maybe they had conflicts way long before I move here. Married life sure is hard. Witnessing things like this is why I hate marriage life. At first, it might be all flowery happy forever and the next thing you knew is, oh well, welcome to hell baby. It will forever be a hassle to live together and it cut off your freedom. I walk up the doorstep of my house and fished out a key from my pocket before inserting it into the doorknob and steps in.

“Whew…I’m glad that I live alone.” I took off my shoes and went to my kitchen, placing groceries on the kitchen countertops. I took out all the groceries from the bag and keep it in a suitable place before proceeds to cook dinner for myself. Yup. For myself. Sounds pathetic but I enjoyed it. More than anyone else.

I bring the food that I have cooked to my dining table and I was about to eat it when I look at my neighbour’s house from my dining room window. There are no lights in the house and to top it off, the overgrown grass at their lawn makes their house looks like a haunted house. I shivered at my thoughts and look back at my food. Damn Amber. Just eat okay. I sighed and eat my dinner with a gloomy face.

“Well yeah, try to sleep outside and reflects what you just did to me! Ungrateful !”

“Wait! Don’t leave me outside here! I’m sorry! I will be a better wife for you!”

I look outside and saw my neighbour pushed someone out of his house, causing the person to stumble down the steps. I guess that person is his wife but I can’t really see her face.

 “Sorry? . I always wonder up till this day why did I marry you in the first place? I should have enjoyed my life more!”

“Please don’t say that minhy-!“

“I should have listen to my friends and ditch you but here I am, stupidly married to you! Argghh!”

“Wait! Don’t close the door!”

SLAM!

Wow. That’s harsh. The neighbour just slammed his door in front of his wife. I observed that lady as she keep on knocking on the door until she decided to give up and sit on her house doorsteps, crying nonstop. Maybe that guy will open the door soon. Who the hell will leave their wife freezing outside their house? I cleaned up my plates and quickly take bath a bath but my mind keep on thinking of the neighbour’s wife even though I’m on my bed now, trying to sleep. Why the hell am I like this? This is crazy. I should mind my own business. That’s their problem not mine.

I shook off the thoughts from my mind and closed my eyes as tight as I could with a blanket on me. It’s dark outside and it’s cold. What if she gets harassed by the street’s hooligans? What if she gets sick because of the cold wind? When the inside of my blankets gets too stuffy and hot, I burst out of the blanket with a loud exhale. “Damn it. this!” I peek from the curtain of my bedroom and saw her still sitting there, with her head place on her arms. God. It must be really cold. I quickly jumped out of my bed, bringing along extra coat and ran down the stairs, heading towards my neighbour’s house.

“. . . I’m going to regret this.” I shivered as the cold air touch my face but it doesn’t stopped me from walking towards that woman.

“Hey, I mean, excuse me,madam. You’re okay?” I nervously asked her.

“I’m fine. Just leave me alone.” She replied with her head still hung low.

“Uhh…okay then.” I turned around and mentally face palmed. What the hell am I saying? I turned back at her and place the extra coat I bring on top of her head. I can sense that she is startled when she quickly look up at me. I inhaled heavily when I see her face. I swear to God. I have never seen a woman as beautiful as her in this world even though she looks so miserable and thin right now. Okay. Maybe it’s an exaggeration but what I know is she looks so gorgeous than anyone I have seen in this place.

“Who are you?” her shivering voice

“Oh, I’m sorry,madam. I haven’t introduced myself. My name is Amber Liu. You can call me Amber. I am your neighbour that move in the house across yours two months ago.”

“I-I see what your husband did to you and it bugs me that you are sitting outside in this cold wind. So I wondered if you would like to sleep at my house just for tonight and you can go back to your house tomorrow. ” I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly.

She stare at me and look down gloomily at my sweater. Gawd. Don’t stare at my sweater like that. I knew that I have a bad fashion sense. “Madam, I mean no harm. If you don’t want to, I will leave you alone but please wear that sweater. At least that can protects you a bit from the cold.” I smiled at her and turned around to walk back at my house when suddenly I felt a tug from the back of my shirt.

“M-My name is K-Krystal Jung. Please bring me to your house.” I can see her eyes are full of misery and it really breaks my heart. “Can you stand up?” I asked after what witnessing what her husband did to her earlier on.

“Y-yeah…I ca-uh!” Krystal fell down but I managed to catch her as she struggling to stand up. I gasped when I saw her ankle is swollen. I guess that she’s too preoccupied with the thoughts of her husband that she doesn’t realise nor feel the pain from the fall. Poor lady. She doesn’t even wear her shoes or slippers. I asked her to piggyback me, worried that walking will makes her injury worsen. She was reluctant at first but after constant persuasion, she give in. We piggyback ride until I reach the inside of my house and I put her on the sofa. I quickly bring over medical box and treat her swollen ankle to her dismay.

“It’s okay. It’s not going to hurt.” I told her as I gently rubbed an ointment on her ankle. She winced once in a while when I rubbed it onto her ankle. After I’m done, I wrapped her ankle with a bandage.

“Thank you.”

“Nah. It’s nothing much.” I looked up at her with a smile. She looked away quickly.

 “Okay so…have you eaten?” I asked her worriedly when I look at her thin stature. She nodded slowly. “Don’t you dare lie to me madam.” I gape at her with a serious expression. She bite her lower lips and look hesitantly at me. I quickly pretended to examine her ankle. I can feel a blush crept up my face. Damn! Don’t you dare look at me with that kind of expression! Oh God! Get yourself together Amber Liu! This is not the time to be swept off by your neighbour’s wife!

“I’ll bring you something. Stay there and don’t move too much.” I instructed her as she nodded her head slowly. I walked to the kitchen and heated the leftover soup I keep in the fridge. When I sauntered to the living room with a bowl of hot soup, I found her standing by the bookshelves, reading a book.

“I thought I told you don’t move too much?” I smiled at her when I caught her surprised face.

“I-I’m sorry.” She put back the book in the shelves and slowly walk to the sofa.

“Hey, it’s okay. I don’t read much and my grandfather owns most of the books there before he gave it to me. Here, eat this soup. So you like books?”

“Thanks, yeah but it’s been a long time since I read a book.” She smiled wryly. A long time? Well I guess with her marriage life, it would be impossible to do so. I eyed her movement as she carefully blow the soup. Her face is so beautiful up close. She looks so young. I wonder how old she is. Does she have children?

“A-Amber?” She worriedly look at me. . She must think I’m a creep. I have to find an excuse.

 “Oh! I’m sorry. I wondered if the soup suits your taste?” I scratched my cheek.

“It’s wonderful.” She smiled. I swear her smile could pierce any soul at the moment. She’s just too gorgeous.

“I’m glad you like it.” I look at her tired face and decided I should leave her alone now. She should have a good rest after what happened to her. I walk up the stairs, into my bedroom and took out a fresh blanket and pillow. 

“Here, a pillow and a blanket for you. I’m sorry if I couldn’t provide you with a bed since there are no rooms currently available unless I cleared out the stuff in it.” I said as I put the pillow and blanket next to her. She shook her head and look up at me knowingly. “Thank you for everything. This is enough for me.” She hold my hand softly with her head looking down. “If you have anything to share, just tell me. I’m ready to listen to your problems.” I looked at her with a concern expression. Suddenly, I felt the grip of her hand became tighter. “There’s nothing.” The moment the words came out of , I instinctively hugged her, thinking how crazy it is that I could feel her pain when we barely knew each other. Surprisingly, she hugged me back and cried silently. It must be too painful for her. She cried on my shoulder and I just let her tears wet my shirt with my arms protectively hugging her. We stayed at where we are until both of us were asleep.

When dawn’s arrived, I woke up at the sofa only to found out that she’s not there anymore. Where is she? Did she left? I look outside from my living room’s window and I saw her standing outside of her house. Her husband opened the door and quickly hugged her with a crying face as she hugs him back. My heart tightened. What’s wrong with me? I look on as the husband held her hand while he walk into their house but before that woman walk inside, she paused and look at my direction, smiling. I quickly closed the curtain with my heart raced. This is crazy. Totally crazy. What have I involved myself into?

 

Thanks for the subscribes and comments. Been too busy to update. If I have the idea and motivation to make a sequel, I will make one. Love you guys!