Chapter 1

A Chance Encounter

Future…….

“Ni Hao, Lu-ge!” I practiced in the mirror, outside the room where Luhan was.

I wasn’t sure whether to say it in Korean or Mandarin. He might be used to Korean now even if he is promoting in China. I think I’m going to use Mandarin.

“Ni Hao, Lu-ge!” I said as the writer-nim opened the door. Luhan turned around and smiled.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Past…...

It was a warm day in Beijing, China and I was heading to Beijing Shida Middle School for the first day of school for me. It's really the middle of the school year on our last year. While walking I heard a magnificent voice serenading the wind. I kept walking and slowly got closer to the beautiful voice.

As I walked around the corner, I found a boy walking while singing. He was wearing the same school uniform as me so I decided to say hello.

“Ni Hao!” I said, shyly.

“Oh, Ni Hao!” He said while smiling.

“Nǐ jiào shénme míngzì?” (What's your name?) I said quickly and quietly because I’m not good with talking to new people.

“My name is Lu Han. What about yours?” He smiled.

“My name’s Li Hua (means Pearl Blossom).” I answered looking at the ground while walking.

“That’s a pretty name. What class are you in first?” Lu asked.

“I have math/language arts first,” I said gradually warming up to him.

“That’s too bad. I have social studies/ science first. Oh well then I guess we could meet up again at lunch,” He said then ran off to find his class.

I’m really nervous because it’s a new school and all but i’m also excited because I made a new friend before school even started. I walked inside the school and found my class very easily. It only took me 5 minutes. When I walked in the classroom I stood at the back of the room like everyone else. I didn’t know anyone so I just stood in the corner of the room. After a few minutes a girl and guy came up to me.

“Ni Hao!” They said at the same time.

“N-Ni Hao,” I said nervously because I’m not that great with talking to people.

“I’m Xiu and this is my brother Xun,” the girl told me pointing to the man beside her.

The boy just smiled and waved.

“Ni Hao, I’m Li-Hua,” I said almost laughing at the guy.

He was making weird faces at his sister and she didn’t know it. A moment later we were all sitting in class talking about ourselves and laughing. I found out that Xun dyed his hair so he wouldn’t look like his sister. I told him he should embrace that he has a twin. I would die if I had a twin. I have a sister, but she’s in a grade higher than me so I don’t get to see her that often. She is always off with her friends and when she comes home she automatically goes into her room and draws. She pays no attention to us and doesn’t care when we come to her plays.

Anyways going off topic…… I finally made a new friend! The school day went quick. It was finally the last class. I walked into choir and stopped. Han was there!

“Han!” I smiled and he walked over to me.

“Hua!" Han smiled.

"I didn't know you sang!" Han smiled and looked at me.

"A little bit. I'm not that good," I smiled.

"Lu Han! Li Hua! I know this is your first day here, but I do not tolerate talking. Both of you come to the front. You will sing a duet together," Mrs.Xu smiled mischievously.

"Yes ma'am," We got up from our seats and walked to the front.

"You will sing Jay Chou and Lara's 'Coral Sea'," Mrs.Xu smiled.

"Yes ma'am," I smiled. I knew that whole song.

I love Jay Chou. He has to be my favorite singer. We started out a little rocky but we smiled and sang it perfectly. Mrs.Xu looked at me in disbelief.

"You can sit down now. No talking," she said trying to get back her senses.

"Yes ma'am," I smiled and we walked back to our seats.

The class went by quickly and the bell rang signalling the end of school.

"Hua! Wait up!" Han smiled.

"What?" I looked at him.

"I didn't know you sang that beautifully. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime?" Han smiled.

"Sure," I smiled and he handed me his phone.

I quickly put my number in and we walked home together. Talking about nothing. We just talked.