Chapter13

Deeper than the Sea

To quit or not to quit? This job was everything. How can you just quit? But hey, you have plenty of other opportunities now... Once other companies see you have worked for SM they will hire you immediately. You smiled at this fact and almost knocked on the director's door, holding your resignation letter in your hands. Something bothered you. No regrets.

"Noona!"
"Oh Sehun"
you smiled.
"What are you doing here?"
"I was going to ask you the same thing."
"I always come on the rooftop"
he laughed. "I was surprised to see you here at this time"
You looked at your phone.. It was 9pm.
"Seoul is beautiful at night" you said.
"Ramyun? It just arrived.. Still hot." 
Sehun sat on the floor and opened the box of ramyun he has ordered.
"I'm not hungry" you said...
"Why is your stomach growling then, noona?"
You held your stomach
"It's not growling tho"
"I just heard it "
"That was your stomach.."

Sehun's stomach growled again.. 
"I'll eat well" he cackled.
For a few minutes all you could hear was sehun's gulps and the noise from the cars down there on the streets. Wow.. It was so high. 
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOONA?"
Two hands grabbed you and pulled you. 
"Ya noona! I know it's hard on you but jumping from here is too much.. Lay is having a hard time too, but suicide can't solve anything chincha!"
You blinked..
"I wasn't going to jump" you said.
Sehun's hands were on your shoulders, but when he heard you he put his hand in his pocket.
"You knew about it all?" You asked. 
Sehun was admiring the view but now he looked at you.
"Give them a chance, noona."
"Sehunah.. I'm not your noona"
Chance hah... Some other time maybe. After what baekhyun said you never answered his calls and when you saw him you immediately found a place to escape from him. As for Lay, it has been a week since he was in China. You weren't even angry at baek.. Only disappointed.. More disappointed than ever, because it was the first time you trusted someone that much. Somehow you felt more betrayed than when Lay had broken up with you. As for Lay, you felt nothing. 
"The hyungs have messed up again. I don't know if I have to say this to you.. Maybe I shouldn't. But I will anyways, because I don't want the same thing to happen twice."
"What is it?"
"It was two years ago. Baek had feelings for a girl. She was our hairstylist."

You were listening carefully now.
"What happened? Is she still here?"
"She happened to have a crush on Yixing hyung."
"What?"
"But hyung didn't like her back, he told us all and he even tried to talk to her and apologized to her. At the end they both had a big fight, haven't spoken for weeks until it was time of our comeback preparations."

"Is this why Lay is acting like this?" You realized you were saying your thoughts out loud "he feels guilty?"
"Lay will never forgive himself."
"What about the girl?" 

Sehun smiled bitterly.
"She was fired .. She was a good girl.. I miss her, we were close."
You didn't know what to say..
"The CEO found out about the whole thing. She didn't even say goodbye. We found out from her colleague"
"Couldn't you contact her?"
"She changed her number and her address. And baekhyun didn't want to ruin her life more than this. He let her go, but I don't think Lay hyung forgave himself, even tho it wasn't his fault "

No one talked for a moment.
"I'm not that girl tho" you said. "They may be doing all this because of that girl, but I'm not her"
Sehun smiled "you may be a different girl, but they are the same hyungs."
He looked at his phone.
"I'll let you take the rooftop for tonight. Think about this OK? I hope you make the right decision.. See you then" 
He walked away... Goodbye sehunah ..you thought.
"Sehunah" 
"Oh? What now?"
"I'm really not your noona" you said "chincha ..!"

Sehun laughed "I still look younger than you!" 
Is this why Lay acted like this? You were empty right now... And you still didnt want to listen to sehun. You were not that girl. The fact that baek used you just to throw it back at Lay was killing you.. Because obviously this is what he did. Whatever this case was.. You didn't want to be involved .. The wind was so refreshing as you stood there. But only for a week, you thought. Maybe not saying goodbye just like that girl will be better. It will be too hard to say goodbye to exo. They meant so much to you.. And Lay too.. And baek too, you were still disappointed at him, but now you felt sad rather than angry.

After a week you returned from Norway with f(x).. It was nice to see the streets of Seoul again.. You really missed the city. You were in your office and you started to pack. Wow... For four months you have gathered so many things here. You had a lot of small gifts. Krystal had given you a bracelet she used in one of their concerts.. She knew you liked that bracelet. Chan and Kai had once given you an empty cup . This was a special cup. You were sick of SM because you didn't have time to breathe, you complained to them in front of the coffee machine so Chan took an empty cup, he drew a smiley face on it and wrote "Sarah, fighting!". Kai said that this cup is your lucky cup. So you never threw it away. You also had many pictures. You had a picture from taemin's birthday .. But when you took it with him the other members wanted to take pictures too.. So it felt like a photoshoot. And you had the pictures with your first photoshoot with Chan and Lay. You also had a lot of pictures with exo and Super junior and a card from donghae wishing you happy birthday .. Even tho it wasn't your birthday but they have left for a world tour so he excused himself he can't wish you a happy birthday later. It was signed by all of the members and he also left you a gift..a pen which price you were afraid to find out. There were around 20 days left to your birthday. It was kinda sad how you wouldn't celebrate it here. You were slowly putting everything in a box, lastly you locked your drawer and left the key on the desk. 
The box was heavy so you decided to take the elevator. The door opened and you got in trying not to drop the box. You put it on the floor heavily.
"Aigoo" you nearly jumped.
"Baek"
"I'm going to hold this for you... Where to?"
"Ah.. No need"
you said.
"You kinda messed up" he said.
He was talking as if nothing happened. You really couldn't get him.
"What?" You asked and you tried to sound emotionless.
"You still don't get it? Ahhh I thought you would.. I even winked at you"
"Ya.. Speak properly so I can get it"
"Aish.. You had to answer your phone earlier... Why do you think I brought you two together?"
"Because.."
You were about to say because he wanted to show you how it felt, but... He shouldn't know that you knew about that.. And suddenly it made no sense at all.. Why would baek do that to Lay when it wasn't even Lay's fault? He didn't like that girl.. It was the girl that liked him, Lay couldn't do anything about it."because...."
"Because Lay that jerk did that for me" Baek continued "and to be honest the moment I knew about you and Lay, my feelings changed. Really" he said when he saw your *you think I believe you?* face " I will be totally honest with you now.. I'm sorry I said bad things about you, I didn't mean it, but it was the only way to make Lay get back to his senses and admit he was wrong to you. You saw it yourself. It worked ! I was just shocked when you said you hate us both" he laughed "this really ruined my plans".
"Baek" you took a little jewelry box from your purse "I think I have to return this"
He opened it and sighed.
"I think so too.. This necklace means nothing now, but I will take it back. I don't want to lose you as a friend. And I want you both to be happy.. I'm sure Lay will contact you after he comes back"
You reached the first floor and baek took the big heavy box from the elevator's floor.
"Baek.. " you said "I think I know you better now."
"Do you?" He laughed.
"You can end your friendship with such a close friend just to not hurt him.. Don't you feel bad? Because I do.. I want you two to be friends again"
He smiled.
"Of course I would.. He deserves a lot. Strangely he is so different. He chooses friendship over love.. Idiot."
Yes he is, you thought. But this was amazing too. As suho has once said, Lay cared so much about his friends. He could even give up on you in order to keep his friendship with Baek.
"What is this by the way? Why is it so heavy?"
You were walking in front of SM buliding. Suddenly the reality hit you hard. 
"Just put it in my car" you said.
"They make you work too much really"
"SM"
you laughed but your throat was dry.
"See you tomorrow" Baek smiled. "Please forgive me."
"It's still too much" you laughed "you have to share your evil plans with me before you put them in action, chingu"
"Don't forgive me then"
he put the box in the trunk. "What is this by the way?" He asked again.
You decided you tell him at once.. He was going to find out anyways.
"I quit my job" you said.
Baekhyun laughed 
"You became more like me" he said "same sense of humor"
"Baekhyun, I'm not kidding" 
He opened the box unbelievably. When he saw what was inside his jaw dropped.
"Wae?" He asked you still looking at the open box .
"SM is tiring" you said "I want to breathe".
"So take a vacation" he said "don't joke like this, you can't leave..if you leave"
*It'll be all back to normal" you thought *it was all my fault .. You two belong to the same group. It's time you remember it*
Baek looked as if someone hit him hard on the head as if he remembered something.
"Don't leave" he said .
"Goodbye baek.." you closed the trunk and got in the car. 
You could see Baek's reflection in the side mirror as he was standing in the parking.

This was the right decision, you thought, the only right decision you have made so far.