Date Night

A Captured Love

When Ha-Kyung arrived to his home, men in suits where moving all across the property. “Have any of you imbeciles found her yet?”

“No, Boss.”

“How the hell is that possible? There are three hundred of you and one of her. If one of you doesn’t find her within the hour…so help me...” Ha-Kyung pulled out his gun and shot a nearby vase. “…that will be someone’s head.”

“Yes Sir.” The men bowed as they continued on their search.

“I’ll be in my office. Don’t disturb me unless you find her.” Ha-Kyung left his men to continue their search. Why is everything going wrong today. As Ha-Kyung reached for the door to his study he realized it was unlocked, which was something he never did. He reached for his gun behind his back as he opened the door and slowly entered. Ha-Kyung eyed his chair behind his desk and acknowledged that it’s back was facing him.

“Who are you and how did you get in here?” Ha-Kyung was only answered with silence. “I said who are you?!” Ha Kyung quickly spun the chair around and was about to shoot until he was greeted with the image of a sleeping Cadella. Ha-Kyung poked her in her check to wake her up. When she didn’t seem to notice he proceeded to shake her by shoulders and still no reaction. What heck is she dead or something? Ha-Kyung thought. He scratched his head with the tip of his gun and placed it in the back of his pants. He then picked the girl up, threw her over his shoulder as if she were a corpse wrapped in a rug, and proceed to take her to her room.

Bruno…you’re so handsome…can you sing me to sleep?” Cadella began to say in her sleep. “Of course I'll be Mrs. Mars!

A part of Ha-Kyung wished that he knew what she was saying. If only he had paid attention more in school, rather than trying to make money, he wouldn’t feel so envious at the moment. Ha-Kyung made his way down the stairs and Cadella must’ve started to awaken because he heard a quiet and groggy voice come from behind him.

“Excuse me, would you mind putting me down please.” Ha-Kyung continued down the stairs ignoring Cadella’s pleas. “Adjussi you can put me down now.” Ha-Kyung removed Cadella from over his shoulder and placed her on the ground.

“Why were you in my study?”

“What?” Cadella still continued to rub the sleep from her eyes as she yawned.

“Why were you in my study?”

“I got angry and wanted to be alone, but I go lost and fell asleep reading your boring books.”

“How did you get in?”

“I picked the lock with my hair pin.”

“Do you always invade people privacy so carelessly?”

Cadella put her hands on her hips. “I don’t’ know. You tell me, do I?”

Ha-Kyung closed his eyes in irritation. “Why did you leave your lesson? Do you know how much she charges an hour?”

“I don’t care. My Korean is fine as it is.”

“That isn’t for you to decide. You need to practice before you meet my father.”

“No I don’t because I’m not meeting him.” Cadella turned and began to walk away, until Ha-Kyung pulled her back.

“Like hell you aren’t.”

“Let go of me.” Cadella swatted away Ha-Kyung’s hand. “I don’t want to be here. I want to go home. I want to call my family!”

“Listen to me!” Ha-Kyung held her by her shoulders and looked her directly in her eyes. “If you want to call your family fine.”

Cadella removed Ha-Kyungs hands from her shoulders. “…and I want you to answer all my questions…”

“Fine.”

Ha-Kyung noticed that Cadella became less defensive at the sound of Ha-Kyung so readily agreeing to her demands. “…and I don’t want people calling me master…”

“Fine.” Ha-Kyung answered as he crossed his arms over his chest. “Is that all?”

“Y-yes.” Cadella scratched her head in confusion. That was easier than expected, she thought to herself. Ha-Kyung draped his arm over Cadella’s shoulder as they walked.

“Are you calm now?” Cadella slightly nodded her head. “Good, because I don’t want to go on a date with someone who’s going to be angry.”

Cadella pulled from Ha-Kyungs hold and looked at him. “We’re going on a date?”

“I had one of the chefs cook us Italian since I don’t think you’re well enough to go out yet. The doctor says I should introduce you to new surrounding gradually.” Cadella thought about all Ha-Kyung said. She couldn’t help but get mixed feeling about Ha-Kyung. Based on how the staff acted, and how they described him, she would think he was more aggressive but whenever it was just him and her, he always seemed much more accommodating. Did I really agree to marry a man like him? Cadella thought to herself. Ha-Kyung and Cadella continued to the dinning room in silence, when Ji-Soo appeared from around the corner.

“Ji-Soo, tell the men to stop searching.” Ha-Kyung stated.

“Yes, Sir. Anything else master?”

“Tell everyone they can go home after we have eaten dinner.”

“Everyone,Sir?” Ji-Soo questioned. Cadella just stared between the two men as they seemed to be having a conversation telepathically.. Ji-Soo bowed and left as Ha-Kyung continued to lead Cadella to the dinning room.

“Did you lose something?” Cadella questioned.

“What?”

“You said that everyone was searching for something…What was it? Did you find it.” Ha-Kyung, didn’t answer and simply motioned for Cadella to take her seat. Once they were both seated the maids came out with your food and unveiled it before both of them. The second Cadella laid her eyes on the 16-layer lasagna her stomach growled loudly like it was harboring some wild beast.

“Little hungry I hear?” Ha-Kyung said as he started eating.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Cadella stated as she said grace.

“Ha-Kyung how did we meet exactly?”

“You should figure that out on your own.”

“How am I supposed to make progress if getting answer from feels like pulling teeth.”

“Why don’t we just pretend to start from the beginning.”

“What do you mean?”

“Pretend that this is our first date were people usually ask all those types of questions.”

Cadella stuck her fork into her lasagna and chewed hungrily. “I’ll agree if…”

“…if? Why is there an if?”

Cadella held her finger to her lips and shushed Ha-Kyung “I’ll agree if you promise to not lie.”

“Define lie.”

“Anything but the truth, the whole, truth and nothing less.”

“What if you can’t handle the truth?”

“I can handle anything as long as you’re up-front about it.” Ha-Kyung thought about Cadella last few words for a few seconds before he Cadella questioned him.

“How about I ask ten questions and you can ask ten questions?” Ha-Kyung nodded as he continued to eat. “So Jeong Ha-Kyung, how old are you?”

“I’m 25.”

“Do you speak English or only Korean?”

“I don’t like speaking in English, but I can speak Korean, Japanese and Chinese.”

“What do you do for a living?”

“Business.”

“What kind of business man?”

“Pharmaceuticals.”

“Do you have any siblings?”

“Yes.”

“How many?”

“One of each.”

“How long have we been dating?”

“less than a year.”

“And I agreed to marry you?”

“Yes.”

“Do you like kids?”

“Depends.”

“Can you stop giving one word answers?”

“Of course.” Ha-Kyung drank the rest of his champagne. “Now it’s my turn.”

“That wasn’t ten!”

“It most certainly was.” Cadella re-counted them in her head as Ha-Kyung continued. “So Cadella why did you decide to come to Korea?”

“One of my closest friends is Korean and she really encouraged me to come because she thought I’d really like it, and she was already teaching me the language so I figured I had nothing to lose.”

“What’s your family like?”

“Well majority of us do the traditional jobs you see during career day in kindergarten. For example, my oldest brother is a firefighter and my other brother is a doctor, my sister is a teacher and my younger sister is in training to be a marine.”

“And your parents?”

“My mom and dad both were in the military and it’s actually how they met. My dad still serves but my mom does mostly missionary work.”

“What’s your favorite kind of food?”

“Simple stuff that’s really ‘unhealthy’ like burgers, pasta, and Chinese food.”

“Why did you put air quotes around unhealthy? All those foods are proven to be bad for your body.”

Cadella gestured towards Ha-Kuung with her fork. “Bad for your body? Yes. But good for the soul.” Cadella rubbed her tummy as she gave an exaggerated smile.

“Do you plan to have a family?”

“Yeah but not anytime soon. Heck I didn’t plan on getting married for at least another four years but I guess I’ve changed.”

“How many do you want, like one?”

“No. I want a whole bunch of babies. I want two boys and two girls, at most eight.” Ha-Kyung suddenly coughed and began to choke on his food. Eight? Who the hell does she think she is, Octo-mom? Cadella acknowledged Ha-Kyung and kindly gave him a good whack on the back.

“Ah!”

“Better?”

“That’s not how you help someone choking.”

“It worked didn’t it?”

Cadella and Ha-Kyung continued to ask questions of the other, and from the outside looking it, someone might have thought they were on an actual date. After they finished their food, the two decided to skip dessert, and just as they were about to part Cadella still wanted Ha-Kyung to fulfill his promise.

“Ha-Kyung I want to call my family now.”

“Fine.” Cadella identified that as his response whenever he was agreeing to something unwillingly. Ha-Kyung reached in his pants pocket and pulled out his phone. “What’s the number?”

Cadella reached for the phone quickly, but it was pulled out of her reach by Ha-Kyung. “I’m not a child. I know how to use the phone.”

“I know that, but it’s different dialing an American from a Korean phone.” Cadella crossed her arms over her chest impatiently as she told him her mother’s number. Ha-Kyung waited for the dial tone to end when suddenly a female voice answered.

Hello?” At the sound of her mother’s voice Cadella lunged forward and almost knocked Ha-Kyung over as she took the phone from him.

Mom!