When She Woke Up

A Captured Love

Image result for amandla stenberg

Ha-Kyung waited patiently for his men to return, when he heard a knock on his door. He rolled his window down impatiently. “Hurry up and get in the car. Did you handle it?”

“Not exactly.” One of the men stated.

“Why not?”

“It’s a girl.”

Ha-Kyung paused for a second and thought about what this could do for him. “Let me see.” Ha-Kyung stated. Ji-Soo motioned for the guys to bring the unconscious girl into his view. “A foreigner?” Ha-Kyung motioned for the men to turn the girl around. “I want a thorough inspection of her when we get back to the estate, so make sure the doctor is there when we get there. Ji-Soo, read into her background I want to know everything about her.”

“What did you find out?” Ha-Kyung questioned as he down a shot of scotch.

“Her name is Cadella Grace Moore. Youngest of three. Born 1994 December 15th, to Melinda Moore. She’s, African American, and currently in her fourth year of college majoring in Business Management.”

“What about her medical history?”

“She was born with a underdeveloped lung and had to have surgery at one of age. She’ severally allergic to peanuts. Height of 5’ 8 and weighs 180 pounds.”

“Is she still unconscious?”

“Yes sir.”

“I want around-the-clock surveillance of when she wakes up.”

“yes, sir.” Ji-soo bowed and started to walk away when he turned to face his boss again. “Do you think this will work?”

“It has to.”

“What if she doesn’t wake up in time.”

“She will…” Ha-Kyung took another sip of his scotch.”…if she knows what’s good for her.”

“But she’s a foreigner?”

“The guidelines didn’t say she had to be Korean.”

“What are you going to do when she wakes up? You won't’ be able to control her as easily as you think.”

“I’ll play it by ear. This will work in my favor regardless.”

Cadella started to open her eyes, against the bright light that shone through her window. She blinked several times as she sat herself up on her elbows. As she looked around the room she took in all of it’s décor. She was sleeping on a huge bed with red silk sheets, that seemed to match the red and black theme that flowed through the entire room. Where the heck am I? Cadella pulled at her nightgown top that was also silk. Since when did I start to like silk so much? Suddenly Cadella heard the door to her room open and five men dressed in black suits wearing sunglasses quickly filed into the space. They came in so abruptly that Cadella pulled the covers to her chest.

“Where am I? and who the heck are all you people?”

A sixth man confidently entered the room. Cadella also noticed that he didn’t wear sunglasses like the others. The man continued to approach closer, and closer until he was sitting on the edge of the bed. He extended his hand towards her face to move a stray hair but Cadella cautiously pulled away.

“Who are you?”

“Don’t be that way. You’re beginning to hurt my feelings.”

“Tell me who you are or I’m calling the police.”

“…call the police? For what?”

“Kidnapping!”

“Oh sweetheart, how can this be kidnapping if you’re my fiancé”

“What? I don’t have fiancé.”

“The good doctor said this could happen.”

“…said what could happen?”

“Memory loss.”

“How did I lose my memory?”

“You were in a car accident and have been unconscious for nearly a week.”

“How do I know you’re not lying, and not making this all up?”

“Considering that the ring on your finger cost more than half a million dollars you ought to be my fiancé.”

Cadella was contemplated the things the stranger had said. How could she not remember her own fiancé? Cadella had so many questions and so few answers. The only question she had at this moment was who exactly was her fiancé.

“What’s your name?”

“Jeong Ha-Kyung.”

Ha-Kyung. Ha-Kyung. Ha-Kyung.

“That name sounds familiar. Tell me something about me.”

“Why?”

“If you’re my fiancé tell me stuff no one else should know. Tell me the stuff I don’t remember.”  

Ha-Kyung motioned for the men to leave the room, so it was only him and Cadella. “I don’t have to prove anything to you, for the record.”

“Yes you do. How do I know you’re not some psycho making this up?”

“Fine. When you were born you had exceedingly rare, and severe asthma condition, and had to endure your first surgery when you were barely a year old.” Cadella showed no sign of disagreement or agreement to Ha-Kyung's words, so he continued. ”Do you remember our first date?”

Cadella shook her head. “I’m sorry, but no.”

“We agreed to meet at this restaurant on the south side of Seoul. Since it was our first date I let you choose the restaurant. I had never heard of it, and didn’t’ realize that there were several restaurants, with the same name and drove all across Seoul to find the right one. When I finally came to the restaurant you were at, it was past ten o’clock, when our date was supposed to be at 7:30. The hostess showed me were you were seated, and when I finally got to our booth your plate was covered in half eaten kimchi and you were sleeping on the seat…”

“…then what?”

“I can’t tell you that.”

“Why not?”

“The doctor said that if you woke up without your memory that I should let them come to you naturally.” Ha-Kyung quickly stood from the bed. “ You should get dressed, there’s food in the kitchen if you get hungry.”

Cadella watched as Ha-Kyung walked out the door and closed the door. She had so many questions running through her head, Cadella figured that she had no reason to assume foul-play, but she also had no reason to trust him either. So he knew one thing that only my mother and I know, that doesn’t prove anything, does it?

Cadella stood from her bed and made her way to what looked like a closet. It was filled with some of the most beautiful clothes. At least I still have good taste, she thought to herself. The only problem was that none of the pants fit and the shirts hugged to tightly for her liking. In the end she settled on a yellow sundress and a pair of black leggings. Cadella opened the door to her room too quickly and heard the sound of something hitting the floor. She peeked around the corner of the door and saw a maid on the floor picking up what looked like the best breakfast ever. When Cadella and the maid’s eyes met a look of complete fear came across the woman’s face.

“I-I-I’m sorry master. It will not happen again I’m so sorry.” The woman was bowing so much Cadella was afraid she’s break her back.

“What did you just call me?”

The look in the woman’s eyes was becoming more and more fearful. “M-master…”

“My name is Cadella…not master.”

“I’m sorry master…?”.

“You don’t have to keep apologizing it was my mistake.” Cadella knelt to help pick up the spilled food when she woman attempted to stop her.

“No, no, no I have to clean that up, you can go back to your room, and I’ll bring you something else.”

“At least let me help you.” Cadella reached again only to have her hand pushed away.

“No, you can’t.” The woman stated. Cadella pulled herself away from the mess as the woman frantically cleaned up the mess she made.

“I’ll be back soon with your food, master. I’m sorry again.” The lady bowed again and turned quickly.

“Wait…” Cadella exclaimed. “…can I come with you? I don’t remember my way around here.” The woman nodded her head in agreement. “So, what is your name?”

“I’m maid 224…”

“I don’t know what that means but what’s your name? What did your mother name you?”

“Sang Si-Som”

“Nice to meet you Sang Si-Som.” Cadella chuckled to herself. “…I can imagine trying to say that fast eight times.” The woman continued to walk beside Cadella in silence. “Can I ask you a question Si-Som?” The woman nodded for her to continue. “Can you not call me master.”

“Yes mas-…then what should I call you then?”

“Cadella is fine.”

“Okay Ca-del-la.”

“Ji-Soo have them bring the car around. I need to visit the warehouse on 33rd. They’ve been below the projection line for the past two months.”

“For inventory or money?”

“Both, which pisses me off even more.” Ha-Kyung adjusted the watch on his wrist. “This is the second time this year they’ve screwed around.” Ha-Kyung straightened his tie. “…if there is one thing I hate it’s when people don’t take me seriously. Everything else for today is routine.”

“What about Cadella Moore?”

“Who’s that?”

“The girl…” Ha-Kyung faced Ji-Soo with a blank expression. “…from this morning…”

“Ji-Soo for as long as we’ve been friends when was the last time I remembered the name of a one-night-stand?”

Ji-Soo rubbed his eyes in frustration. “The black foreigner who’s was unconscious for days… Honestly you just talked to her this morning.”

“I know. I know. I was only kidding. Where has your sense of humor gone?”

“Well…?” Ji-Soo persisted for an answer.

“I honestly didn’t think she would be awake this soon. Have one of the maids help her practice her Korean. Her accent is so thick I’m going to lose my mind. But most importantly make sure she doesn’t leave this house, and if anyone in my family comes by makes sure they don’t’ see her either.” Ji-Soo bowed and quickly left the room.

“The cooks are preparing you something better to eat. I’m sorry again master.”

“Si-Som you don’t have to call me master remember?”

“I would call you Cadella, but we have orders from Master Jeong that say otherwise.”

“Master Jeong? Who is that?”

“Your fiancé, master.”

“I’m don’t have…” Cadella remembered the brief conversation she had with the man from earlier, and suddenly the unanswered questions began to form until her thoughts were interrupted by Si-Som.

“…master, are you okay?”

“Si-Som can ask you some questions?” She nodded her head.

“What was I like before my accident?”

“I’m-I’m not sure. You only moved in recently.”

Cadella nodded her head in understanding. “You must know a lot about Jeong Ha Kyung then?”

“A little, but we maids aren’t supposed to meddle in business that isn’t our own.”

“How old is he?”

“24.”

“What does he do for a living?”

“Business.”

“He must be pretty good to live in a place like this and to be so young,” Cadella observed the décor of the dining room. “Does he have any family?”

“Yes,” Si-Som answered again shortly.

“Si-Som you don’t have to answer with just one-word-answers.”

“Yes, master.”

“Can you please just call me Cadella? When you call me to master, it feels weird.”

“That is a beautiful name but I’m afraid Master Jeong would think of it as to informal for me to refer to you as.”

“Well I’m ordering you to call me Cadella, and if anyone gives you hell for it, send them to me, and I’ll teach them a lesson or two.” Cadella put her fist up in playful manner as she managed to crack a smile out of Si-Som.

“and what lesson would that be exactly…?” Si-Som assumed her usual statue-like position, as Cadella turned around to the surprise of another unfamiliar voice.

“Who are you?”

“I’m, Ji-Soo, Master Jeong’s…assistant. I’m only here to inform you of your plans for today.”

“I have plans?”

“More like Master Jeong’s plans for you rather.”

“Do I have to?”

“Yes, as most of it pertains to your recovery.”

Cadella hated that she had so many unanswered questions, but she also wanted to regain her memory. “Okay.”

“After you’re done eating, you will meet with one of the maids who will help you practice your Korean, then you will take your survival class, after that you will then workout, then you will have lunch, following lunch you will meet with the doctor, after which you will then meet with Master Jeong.”

“Is that how my schedule usually is?”

“Yes, madam.”

“Ji-Soo you can just call me Cadella.”

“Thank you for the permission but that would not be appropriate.” Ji-Soo bowed and quickly began to exit the room.

“Well can you call me something other than madam!” She shouted in hopes he would hear.

“Bang Choi-Ji, haven’t I always been good to you?” Ha-Kyung had his men had gathered in the warehouse and had Bang Choi-Ji suspended by ropes tied to his wrist. “The only reason I ask is because you were five kilograms short, and made less than 20 million dollars these past two months.” Ha-Kyung held the mans jaw tightly.

“Where is my money going Choi-Ji?”

“I don’t kn-” *shot to the foot* “Ahhh.'

“Try again.”

“I don’t kn-” *shot to the leg*

“Strike two.”

“I’m not telling you anything you cocky little bastard!” *shot to the knee*

“I don’t like being called names, Choi-Ji.”

“You’ll never be able to end it. Silver Cobras for-” *shot to the thigh*

“You’re talking too much. I want a name.”

“Net…set…dul…hana…” Bang Choi-Ji, counted the seconds to his death as he now laid limp in his chair as blood shed on the floor.

“Damn!”

“What should we do with him, boss.”

“Clean this up…” Ha-Kyung said as he, and two of his men, walked away to the sound of several hundred rounds of fire into an already dead man body. The three men kicked the door in Choi-Ji’s office and ransacked the place of any and all information. “What are we looking for boss?”

“Everything. I don’t care if it’s a receipt for a damn candy bar. I want it. Whoever the hell he’s been selling my stuff to is bound to be in this mess somewhere.”

“Oh-ma.”

“No Om-ma”

“Oh-ma.”

“Let’s try something else. Try to say, father.”

“Ah-pa”

“No, that’s older brother. Father is with an ‘O’ sound. Op-pa.”

“Ah-pa.”

“No, you have…”

“Can I take a break now.”

“Fine, but only five minutes.”

For the past two hours this lady had been trying to help Cadella perfect her pronunciation, which Cadella, personally didn’t even think needed to be improved. The one thing she had appreciated about this lesson is that it reminded her that she hadn’t called, her family, friends or anyone to let them know where or how she was doing.

“Si-Som is there a phone I can use?”

“I’m sorry Cadella, but Master Jeong doesn’t like us to use the phones without his permission.”

“Why do I have to ask permission to use the phone? I just need to call some of my friends and let them know I’m okay.”

“…”

“Can I at least order myself a taxi to take me into to town to see them?”

“I’m sorry, but Master Jeong would prefer if you didn’t leave the house, either.”

“Is there at least a computer?”

“Yes, but only Master Jeong is allowed to use it.”

“This is insane; it’s like I have no contact with the outside world.”

“Please don’t be upset Cadella.”

“I’m going to be upset. Do you realize how uncomfortable this is? I’m surrounded by people that I don’t even recognize, and the people whom I would recognize are all beyond my reach.” Cadella ran her fingers though her hair.

“…Mrs. Jeong, it’s time to continue our lesson.” The instructor stated from across the room.

“My name isn’t Mrs. Jeong it’s Cadella! Not master! Not Madam! It’s Cadella Grace Moore!” Cadella quickly stormed out of the room. She wasn’t sure where she was going but the atmosphere was becoming to stuffy for her liking.

“Master Jeong, with the information for Choi-Ji are you sure we should be dealing with the girl too? Perhaps we can get rid of her and find someone else more suitable and at a more suitable time.”

“It’s too late. I already told my father about her, and he’s coming by tomorrow for dinner to meet her, to make sure things are legit.”

“Shouldn’t we… prepare her a bit more?”

“That's what I’ve been having her do all day. When I get to the estate, she better be damn near perfect. Ji-Soo call and make sure everything is ready.”

“Yes Sir”

At the moment Jeong Ha-Kyung’s main goal was about making this deal go through with his father. He would make everything seem real so that his father would get what he wanted, and once that dotted line was signed he would make Cadella disappear permanently, because by then she’d be of no use him.

“Boss there a problem at the estate.”

“What kind of problem?”

“It seems the foreigner left her first lesson, and neither the maids or instructors have seen her since.”

“I want everyone searching the whole estate for her.”