Girls Like Us

Story of Our Songs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Twice Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Jihyo

~

The truth is it's not a big deal

You are not alone, everyone has been on this path before

The happiness you'll one day find on this road

As expected we're headed for a distant place too, fly with us

- Twice, Girls Like Us Fancy You EP (2019) Lyrics: Jihyo / Composers: Uzoechi Emenike, Dimitri Tikovoï, Maya von Doll, Charli XCX / Arrangement: MNEK, Dimitri Tikovoï, Maya von Doll, Charli XCX

2010

Remember Jeongyeon-ah. Be courteous. Be confident. And smile.

“Are you nervous?”

The low whisper brings Jeongyeon back from her reverie.

“You don’t have to. I am sure you’re gonna break a leg up there. I heard you won the 6th audition. I got in through the 7th, you know. Should I call you Sunbae-nim?”

Taken by surprise, Jeongyeon couldn’t even speak a word as the girl beside her keep on talking. She looked at her confusedly, trying her best to figure out the other girl. She has big gummy teeth that somehow make her beautiful face looks cuter. She speaks as if she has no other worry in the world and by the way she handled herself, Jeongyeon was pretty sure that the girl has the talent that the Company wants. They were completely different.

Although she got into the Company by winning over a thousand applicants, she still feels like it was just a of mere luck. How could she considered to be talented between all of these people? She knows that it was only her insecurities and inferiority. How can you be inferior when you don’t feel it right?

“Am I bothering you? I’m completely sorry, I tend to ramble whenever I got nervous.”

Believe me, it doesn’t show, Jeongyeon wanted to say. But she got too shy and lost in her thought to voice it out.

“Oh, I’m Nayeon by the way.”

Jeongyeon was about to reach out her hand to introduce herself properly, but the next performer announced through the hall is taking all of their attention. She seems different. Her stage presence is really strong with her big round eyes which hold so much charisma and her strong beautiful vocal. How can Jeongyeon ever measure up to the infamous Park Jisoo? Her ability and luck alone won’t ever get her near to the 6 years trainee’s talent.

“We could never reach her level, couldn’t we?”

“Are we ever gonna be as talented as her?”

They looked at each other as soon as they speak. Jeongyeon couldn’t help but crack a smile at how ridiculous the moment is. At least she was not the only one who didn’t feel good enough to be here.

“Hey, I didn’t know you could smile!” Nayeon chuckled, more amused by Jeongyeon smiles than the fact that they just have the same thought on the exceptional performance they just saw.

Jeongyeon face turned unamused for a second. She focused herself on the next performers, but she couldn’t help her smile to stay for the rest of the showcase.

Minutes passed as they engrossed in watching all the trainees' performance before their turn. As Jeongyeon about to take the stage, she turned to the girl beside her only to see her smiling brilliantly at Jeongyeon. She won’t admit it but the girl – what’s her name again, Gayeon? Nayeon? – brings her the confidence she thought she had lost to her inferiority.

“I’m Jeongyeon, Yoo Jeongyeon, and I can smile. Nice to meet you.” She simply said as she stands up from her seat and confidently walks to take the stage.

 

2012

“Don’t you think, you have no right to say anything to me since you too.”

“But you traumatized her, unnie. Admit it.”

The usual banter of Nayeon and Jeongyeon could be heard in between the loud music. It was a usual sight, the two of them lounging around after practice, with Jisoo who’s still perfecting her dance move while observing her friend's arguments through the mirror of the dance studio.

“Shut it you guys,” Jisoo flatly said as she turned the music off. “You are the same. I’m the one who is rightful here.”

“Yeah, true enough.”

“You’re amazing, Jisoo-yah.”

The two of them mockingly answer. Jisoo just rolled her eyes at her two best friend antics.

“But really, how come you can stay cool and unbothered whenever we have new trainees?” Nayeon asked after a few seconds of silence. ”I mean, I get it we gotta be nice and kind and everything, but, it just getting harder, you know.”

Jisoo motherly smiles spread across her face, the kind of smile that always calms Nayeon down and gives Jeongyeon some kind of reassurance that everything will be alright. Sometimes they wonder, how they even deserved to call Park Jisoo as their best friend.

“Believe me, it’s hard for me either. Just think about it this way, you could never debut alone. There’s a possibility that they would be the people who help you to debut and even if they weren’t, at least we could make a new connection. Isn’t it enough reason to welcome them?”

“So, am I just another name in your list of connection or am I already considered a friend? I just wanted to make sure and all.” Jeongyeon sarcastically comments.

“You’ve just become my enemy with your lame question, Jeongyeon-ah.” Jisoo said with a blank expression on her face. The one that sends Nayeon laughing out loud and made Jeongyeon turned sour.

Being around for so long, Jisoo was used to people's expectations of her. Other trainees looked upon her and rely on her. The Company wants her to be the best performer, to always be on her top of the game. But around Nayeon and Jeongyeon, she is just Jisoo. Jisoo who stopped them from a ridiculous argument, Jisoo that they tease and treat as a younger sister, Jisoo that the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter