The Fish

Carousel Tales

Your question lingered in the air, unanswered. You were confused for a second until you remembered it was the seventh day since you found them, Sunday. "Oh, is it because there's six of you...so on the seventh day, no one changes?" You gestured to the betta, "I'm guessing you changed yesterday then." The betta swam circles again in reply and briefly, you wondered if he could even hear you.

"Well first things first, I should feed you guys. I'm so sorry about getting up so late!" You proceeded to fill everyone's bowls, earning an affectionate ankle rub from Hakyeon. You liked to think he was saying that as long as you were home safe, everything was fine. "I don't have work today so I can spend time with you guys. Did one of you get to go shopping yesterday?" You heard a happy yap from behind you and spotted Hyuk bounding up to you with various receipts. "Wow. One of you was able to carry all this home by yourself?" You were impressed. The list described large bags of clothing for the six of them, hygiene products and even groceries. True to his appearance, Hongbin really was pretty strong then. "Alright, I'm going to get a larger tank for you." You looked at Hongbin, who was still circling his bowl. "Anyone want to come with? Ken?" The canary flapped his wings and chirped. "Is that a yes? Not that you need to though." ~I need you, girl~ He chirped the tune merrily and landed on your shoulder. "Hey, you know that song?" Nearly forgetting you were still in sleepwear, you quickly ran into your room, leaving Ken in the kitchen, "Oh wait, I almost forgot to change!"

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

Outside was sunny, but still cold. If you tried to, you could almost see your breath in the air. "Well, seems like winter really is coming. I'm glad I found you guys before that happened though." You were answered by a high note, his way of saying 'yes', you concluded. "Since you're out with me today, you can pick a few things you'd like too!" You hesitated, "I mean well--we are going to a pet store. I'm not actually sure if you want something from there or not. Otherwise, we can go to some other store and you can pick. By the way, did you get my note about your sketches?"

He answered with another high note.

"Are you okay with me showing them to my company? I haven't had a chance to do that yet."

Another high note. 

"Okay, cool. I'll definitely show them when I get a chance to then. I liked your character expression inventory. They're really detailed and unique for each character you designed."

Ken puffed out his chest and straightened his neck to appear taller, earning a giggle from you. "Okay, we just need to cross the street and there's the store!" 

Following your words, you were soon in front of the pet store. The automatic doors slid open as you stepped closer. Betta fishes in small containers lined the aisle closest to the entrance. Larger tanks with various aquatic animals occupied the space near the wall. Further down the store, the aisles were arranged from smaller animals to largest. 

"Hey, it's you again!" Turning your head in the direction of the familiar voice, you grinned when Chen came into view.

"Do you always greet people you know like that?" 

"Huh? Oh! Did I say the same thing last time? Sorry. It's just that I see so many faces everyday, I tend to forget names."

You nod, "That's understandable."

"Oh yeah, I haven't got any news regarding the cat and dog." You felt Ken shift uneasily on your shoulder.

"About that, I actually wanted to ask you to take them off the missing animals list--thing." A bright smile crossed the curly haired boy's face, "Did you find their owners? That's awesome!"

"Well actually, I think it may be better not to do that. You see, I kind of think the puppy's injuries might have been from mistreatment. And both animals were malnourished as well." Of course, this was only partly true. You had no idea what happened to them, but you just wanted to find a way to tell Chen that these animals were not 'missing' or 'lost' animals and that they didn't need to be found. "And so, I've decided to adopt them."

"I see. I'll get rid of the contact information you provided then. Did you get them checked by the way? Are they well?"

You felt bad for lying to such a nice person but you nodded anyway, "Yeah, the vet said they're doing fine. With a bit of care, they'll be healthy and happy again."

"Good! Now, how can I help you today--is that a canary?"

You could feel Ken shying away, using your hair to hide. This prompted a chuckle from Chen. "Aww, that's so cute. It's very shy!"

Unsure of what to do, you nodded.

"Hey there, I'm a friend. I won't hurt you." He cooed, stepping closer to the canary. "It's a male right? What's his name?"

Ken let out a questioning whistle and you winced, your right ear ringing. Chen backed off, saving you from having to reply. "Ooh. It's painful when they do that, no? Anyway, I'm getting distracted. Can I help you with anything? Besides scaring your bird, that is."

Shaking your head you answered, "That's okay. I know what I'm getting. Thanks though!"

"Alright, I'll see you at the register then. Let me know if you need any help."

You noticably felt Ken relax when Chen his heels and left. "Sorry about that. I asked him to help me put up a 'missing animals' thing for Taekwoon and Sanghyuk before I learned you guys were VIXX. But you heard him right? No one was looking for you guys."

Ken nodded.

"But I'm still curious. Is there actually someone who's looking for you?" You found a five gallon tank. It was cylinder shaped and came with a light. Picking up a box for it, you placed it in your cart. "Ah. You can't answer either, I guess. Oh well. I'll figure it out someday. Is there anything you want to get?"

The canary hopped off your shoulder and flew out of the aisle. You followed closely behind, assuming that he'd be going to the bird aisle. It was a colorful aisle, noisy and full of chattering from the caged birds on sale. Ken had flown over to the toys section and stared at the many objects. He seemed to have found something he liked when he chirped a few high notes, beckoning you over. He had picked a mirror, cut in the shape of a star with blue, purple and gold borders. You placed the mirror in your cart. "That's a pretty mirror." He chirped in agreement and perched on the edge of the cart, looking into the glass. Turning the cart around, you guided it to the checkout counter where Chen was waiting. You noticed Ken giving him a wary glance as your pushed the cart through the booths.

"Hope you found everything you needed today!" Chen smiled, handing you your items in a plastic bag. Nodding, you smiled, "I did! This guy here even found something he likes." You gestured towards the canary who had moved from the cart to your shoulder again as you exited through the sliding doors of the store.

"Now what should I do for the rest of the day?" You wondered aloud. "Want to take a stroll around this street and window shop? I feel kind of bad that you didn't get to do much that day when I got home late." After a moment of consideration you frowned, "Hm, actually let's save that for next time since you can't do much but stand on my shoulder. Instead, let's take the more scenic route home." You received a whistle from Ken. 

The 'scenic route' home, as you put it, was actually going through the small park. "Hm. It's not very scenic right now, I apologize." Dry, brown leaves covered the pathway, leaving the trees bare with the exception of a few yellow and red leaves. "Normally if you come earlier in the month, it's really pretty here. The trees are bright shades of red and yellow and the pathway isn't covered with rotting leaves." Taking a survey around the park, you continued, "And when there's a breeze, the sound of the wind flowing through the leaves is so relaxing. It makes you want to lie down under a tree and watch the leaves flutter in the wind." Upon passing a particular tree you pointed to its trunk, "I come here for inspiration sometimes. Or just to relax and take a break from everything. You see the slight groove in the trunk? It's been there for as long as I can remember. It really comfortable to lean against the trunk there. The nice thing is that it doesn't really face the pathway, so passing people don't disrupt you."

Your pace slowed and you could almost imagine a younger you sitting under the tree, book in lap. Occasionally, a person would walk by, going unnoticed by her. Of course, no one really noticed her either, the single tear rolling slowly down her cheek. A gentle nudge on your cheek brought you back from the past. Ken chirped questioningly. "It's nothing. I was just...thinking of the times I used to sit there." You meant to close the subject there, but Ken hopped down to your arm, cocking his head. You lifted your arm to let him perch. "Well, I sat here often after my brother left. It was so sudden--" You swallowed a lump in your throat as your voice cracked. "--I couldn't accept it. And when I did, I finally realized that I was completely alone. My parents passed because of a similar accident, you see. And that's why I prefer not to drive. It's a painful association."

You laughed through the tears that were beginning to cloud your vision, "And then I started listening to VIXX even more then I used to after that. It helped me feel better. I think you guys reminded me of my brother sometimes." Your laugh died, "So I feel really bad that forgot you guys..I mean--how is that possible, right? I guess I finally overcame the trauma." Rubbing your eyes, you let out a chuckle, "I don't know why I'm still tearing up though."

Ken, who was listening attentively, rubbed his head comfortingly against your arm. "Thank you." You wiped your eyes and smiled, "Well, I definitely didn't mean to turn that walk into a depressing tale. Let's get home now." He chirped in agreement and hopped back to your shoulder.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Once you arrived home, Ken hopped off your shoulder with his new mirror, joining Ravi in the living room. You assumed he was showing off his new accessory. "Alright, I've got a larger tank for you. Hopefully it'll be more comfortable for you in here." 

You rinsed the tank thoroughly and added a few aquatic plants you bought earlier. Satisfied with the arrangement, you filled the five gallon habitat for Hongbin. "All done! Can you get in this cup so I can transfer you over?" Gently lowering a plastic cup into the betta's bowl, you waited for Hongbin to get in. "Uhh..I'm having second thoughts on whether you can understand me or not." The fish retreated behind the plastic plants in the bowl. Sighing you moved the cup closer to him, "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise you'll enjoy the other tank a lot more. If not, I'll move you back, deal?"

Hongbin stayed hiding behind the plants, eyeing the cup. "I'm going to assume you don't understand me. Sorry about this." Apologizing, you plucked the fake plant out and quickly caught Hongbin as he darted to avoid the cup. "Here, I'll even add this plant into your new tank okay?" You dropped the plant into the tank and waited for it to settle at the bottom before you carefully lowered Hongbin in. After transferring him into the tank, you watched him dart to the bottom, hiding behind the aquatic plants. "I'll check up on you later."

You took his now-empty bowl and washed it, storing it back into your cabinet. Sighing, you made yourself a cup of tea and sat down in the living room. "Finally. A break after all those meetings." You already knew what the rest of your day would look like. In desperate need of a break, you decided on a TV dinner for later tonight, complete with a movie. As for the time being, you pulled your laptop onto your lap and hooked it up to the speakers. You needed to brush up on your VIXX videos and rewatch a few shows they were on.

The moment the first few notes of Rock Ur Body played, all five animals immediately gathered around you, watching their human selves perform on stage and participate in variety shows. You chuckled, "I thought you guys would have no interest in watching yourselves. I guess I'll hook this up to the TV then. Bigger screen."

As you connected the screen to your computer, you noticed the guinea pig fiddling with your keyboard. When you got back to your spot on the sofa, you let out a laugh. Hakyeon had typed 'VIXX N focus fancam' on the search bar. The cockatiel and canary exchanged looks and while Ravi hustled the leader away from your laptop, Ken quickly typed out 'VIXX N mistake compliation' in place of the previous entry. Taekwoon and Hyuk watched in amusement as their leader was prevented from getting back to the keyboard. 

And that was how you spent your Sunday with them; watching VIXX videos, both official and fancams included.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! Another chapter up! Again, I'll have to apologize for Hongbin's (or is it actually Hongbin?) short appearance in this chapter....even though it's titled "The Fish." I mean, I made up for Ken's short appearance here right? :D? I'll definitely make up for Hongbin's in a later chapter don't worry. You guys will get to meet him!

Hope you'll enjoy! :D And commenters are beautiful people! :') Of course, you silent readers are lovely as well~ c: