The Animal Parade

Carousel Tales

You took a sip out of your water bottle as the meeting ended. Finally, you could go home now. Five hours of discussion on the production of the upcoming visual novel was a little over the board for you. Your coworker, Jessica patted your back as a way of comforting you, "At least we're done with that now. We'll never have to hear about how Suzaku's coding was glitching again."

You groaned. "Don't even mention his name. I'm sick of that character. I'm sick of his green hair, I'm sick of drawing that brown sweater. And I hate that annoying blank ending bug."

Jessica laughed, "I guess the next novel's isn't going to include characters with green hair or sweaters then." She held open the door for you.

You nodded in response, "Nope! I don't even care if the storywriters specify green hair. I'll just follow their storyboard without the green." Slinging your purse over your shoulder, you followed her through the door. "Anyway, we'll see if they've begun brainstorming yet tomorrow. Maybe we can help throw in ideas."

Jessica waved goodbye and headed off in the opposite direction. Forcing back a tired yawn, you started the long walk home, wishing you had made a cup of coffee earlier.

When you finally reached the parking lot of your apartment, you noticed a dirty puppy near the dumpster. Its charcoal coloured fur was caked with mud and filth, matted and clumped together especially near its left foreleg. As it limped closer, you observed a few bloody scratches covering the leg. You crouched down and tentatively reached a hand out, "Oh, you poor thing. It's okay, I won't hurt you."

The puppy neared and you held your breath, suddenly aware that it could be rabid. It nudged your open hand with its short snout and promptly turned around, retreating back to the dumpster. When it noticed you didn't follow, it limped towards you again and yapped. You hesitantly took a few steps near the dumpster.

Thankfully, the garbage was cleared earlier today and the stench wasn't too unbearable. Once again, the puppy made its way next to the dumpster and turned around, its large brown eyes focusing on you almost as if it were beckoning you. "What is it?"

You felt stupid talking to the puppy, knowing it wouldn't respond. It yapped at you again, only ceasing when you approached it and followed it to the side of the dumpster.

You were met with the strangest sight you've ever seen. A grey bird with a yellow crest, a smaller yellow canary, a shorthaired, tan guinea pig and a thin black cat were tucked in the small corner where the dumpster met with the wall.

A sharp bark brought your attention back to the puppy. It was nosing an empty jar that had evidently tipped over, spilling whatever contents--oh.

You quickly set the jar upright and whipped out the waterbottle in your purse, glad you hadn't quite finished it and that it was at room temperature. Pouring the water into the jar, you let out a breath of relief when the poor fish inside began to swim in slow circles. Its blue-black fins rippled in the water majestically, mesmerizing you. A male betta fish. Siamese fighting fish, to be exact. However, without proper water treatment, it wouldn't live long. You knew because once upon a time, the 14-year old you had a purple-red betta that lived a full five years.

You peered in the jar. The betta's scales were vibrant and plentiful. There weren't any signs of growing fungi or diseases. You wondered who would have the heart to abandon such a young and healthy fish. It definitely had many years left to live.

Remembering you still had the water treatment in your apartment, you gently picked up the jar, startling when all hell broke loose. The ebony cat began hissing at you, echoed by the frantic barking of the puppy and the loud squawking of both birds. You nearly dropped the jar when the guinea pig, despite its docile appearance rushed forward and bit your hand, gentle enough not to break skin but hard enough to cause pain. It was a warning, you realized. You noticed the long, untrimmed claws of the cat, suddenly afraid what it might do. "I'm just trying to help. It's getting colder these days and your friend won't survive when that happens."

As if understanding, the commotion ceased. "Here, you guys can come with me too. I'll put up a few flyers tomorrow and see whether I can find your owner."

You stood up, bracing yourself for an attack from the cat, but instead watched as the guinea pig climbed on to the back of the cat. The two birds perched themselves on the cat as well, leaving the puppy to limp by your ankles. Without much thought, you placed the jar in your purse and scooped the pup into your arms. Fortunately your apartment wasn't against having pets, you thought as you headed toward the building. You stopped, watching in disbelief as the cat followed, piggybacking the other animals. Did they really understand everything you said?

You held open the entrance door for the cat, who stepped over the threshold gracefully, tail swishing behind. The animals followed you to the elevator and briefly you wondered how this would have looked like to a stranger passing by.

What an interesting parade of animals.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I got this random idea after seeing that tumblr post one day. xD I'm not sure how this fic will turn out. Either way, I'm itching to write something. And yeah sorry, VIXX hasn't *quite* appeared yet but someone will definitely appear starting from the next chapter.

What do you guys think so far?

Please do comment because it helps me write! :D