Lost Things

Carousel Tales

It was yet again the start of another week. You loved what you did at work, but you still couldn't help hating Mondays. Slipping out of bed, you were careful not to step on Hyuk, who was surprisingly awake. "Good morning, Sanghyuk!" You chuckled to yourself. "It's a bit odd using Sanghyuk. Does Hyukkie work instead?" The puppy trotted up to you and sat down, eyes fixed on you. "I guess not. Feel free to go back to sleep. Sorry if I woke you."

He yapped softly and left your room, letting you freshen up. You stepped into your closet and picked out something to wear.

Like last week, no one had changed yesterday. You assumed it was because of Hongbin's apparent inability to do so. Now the third week of living with VIXX, you were getting the hang of their schedules. Hyuk appeared on Monday, Taekwoon on Tuesday, Hakyeon on Wednesday or N's day as he liked to call it, Wonshik on Thursday, Ken on Friday, and all of VIXX with the exception of Hongbin on Saturday.

You organized your thoughts and quickly put them in the back of your mind, getting ready for work.

------------------------------------------------

Once at your desk, you noticed Jessica's presence. "Hey Jessica! I think this is the first time I've seen you earlier than me!"

Startled, she peered over from her phone. "Oh!" She shrugged. "I guess I had a good weekend and got to sleep early."

"Haha, I'm surprised you didn't leave everything until the last minute. Anyway, feeling better? You left in such a hurry, I was worried."

Jessica nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine!" She turned back to her desk. It was your turn to shrug this time. She was probably in the middle of texting Wooyoung. Speaking of which, you wondered whether he had finished his interviews yet. Deciding you could figure that out later, you pulled out your portfolio case and emptied its contents. Ken's character designs were finished and ready to be scanned and passed on to either Myungsoo or Jessica for cleanup work.

Amber walked in and handed you a note. "From the director." She stopped by Jessica's desk and gave her a packet. "Here's that rough background of character B that you asked for, hope it helps!"

Jessica's brows furrowed in confusion. "You asked for it sometime last week." Amber added.

"Oh, right." Jessica reached out and took the pile. "Sorry, I had a busy weekend. It must've slipped my mind."

Amber laughed, "Of course. No problem!" She headed out the room.

 

-------------------------

 

Around half past three, your phone rang. The caller ID read 'home'. Hoping it wasn't an emergency of any sort, you answered the phone. "Hello?"

You were immediately bombarded with a series on frantic barking and chirping on the other side. "Hold on, is everything okay?"

"Rawk! Cr-ome home! Come home!"

"What's wrong? What happened?"

"Rawk! Cr-ome home! Come home!"

"Okay, I'm coming right now."

You hung up and quickly cleared your desk, putting papers in your drawers for later. Sungjae's head popped up from Myungsoo's desk, "Hey, everything alright? It sounded like chaos on the other end."

"Oh, nothing too big. My uh, alarm went off. It's probably some malfunction, seeing how old that thing is anyway." You frowned, "Sungjae, get back to your own department."

"Hey, what if I wanted to learn how to design characters?" He grinned jokingly.

"Yeah right, you'd still need to talk to the director, not me." You headed out the room and heard him call out after you.

"So can I leave early too?"

"Don't you always do that?"

You rushed out, breaking into a jog toward home. When you opened the door, you were met with Wonshik and Hyuk, who had a flyer between his teeth. He dropped it at your feet and waited for your response. It was a flyer for some sort of junk sale. Titled 'Lost Things' you quickly realized the reason for their urgent behavior. It was an one day event that ended at 5 o'clock sharp. It was a few minutes to four now. 

"You guys want to go to this?"

Wonshik nodded furiously and Hyuk yapped excitedly, bringing his collar over to you.

"Well, alright then. I suppose getting off early one day won't hurt. We better leave now if you want to have enough time to look around." You loosely fastened the collar on Hyuk.

 

----------------------------

 

The junk sale was correctly named 'Lost Things'. Everything was tossed into plastic boxes, from rusty knickknacks to shards of colored glass. You pretended to show interest in a few random items while keeping close to Wonshik and Hyuk. An elderly man sat on a stool behind the crudely set up table. He smiled at the sight of Wonshik rummaging through the boxes. "Anything in particular you're looking for?"

"No, just browsing. Sorry, my bird likes these things."

"What's its name?"

"Uh, Polly." You mentally apologized to Wonshik for giving him a name off the top of your head.

The old man chuckled, "Isn't this fella male?"

You laughed sheepishly, "Yeah, I made a mistake naming him. Unfortunately he was already used to the name when I realized the difference between the male and females."

You jumped when Wonshik gave a sudden triumphant squawk. 

"Looks like Polly found something he likes."

Sure enough, Wonshik proudly held an rustic looking knob in his claws. 

"Rr-here from! Where from?"

"You taught your bird well! He's an intelligent creature. I think this is from the beach. Some boy sold it to me for a while ago. There was still some sand on it."

You nodded, "Ah. What is it?"

"Hmm, I think some type of embellishment to something. You see how it's jagged here? It was attached to something. Maybe knocked off." He pointed to one end of the knob.

You examined the knob. It was a cracked orb with an ivory-like texture. Beautifully carved wood cradled the fist sized globe. You thought it loosely resembled the knob handle of most pot lids.

"I'll take it."

"Great, that'll run you 7500 won." Passing him the bills, you watched as the man carefully wrapped the piece in newspaper before handing it to you. "It's a bit fragile, I think." He explained.

"Ah, thanks." You slipped the knob into your bag and followed after Wonshik, who was looking through more boxes. Hyuk was sniffing at a box of broken plaster figures and dolls. The box closest to you was filled with various clock hands, old faces and gears. Suddenly, you remembered to check the time. Your phone informed you it was fifteen minutes to five. You quickly turned to the animals, "Hey, time to go! I can't be late for my date at five!" With the latter sentence, they were able to to catch on and immediately both of them rushed to you. Nodding to the man, you dashed out of the stalls with Hyuk at your heels. 

"Sorry Hyuk! I forgot to bring a set of spare clothes before we left."

You received a bark in reponse. 

"It's alright, I'm sure we'll make it." You huffed, thankful that your apartment wasn't too far.

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

Fortunately, the crosswalks gave you no trouble and did not stop you as often as it normally would. By the time you reached the apartment, it was exactly 4:59. You let out a breath when you closed the door after Hyuk. Wonshik took off from your shoulders and announced your arrival to the room. "Rawk! Home! Home!"

You took the carefully wrapped knob out of your purse and handed it to Hyuk, who bounded into the living room, barking--until he stumbled and morphed into a man in front of your eyes. "Guys! Guys! Look what I--" He stopped and laughed nervously, while you quickly turned to face the other side of the apartment. You heard his footsteps, the squeak of the hinges on the door, and then he was out again, fully clothed. "Look what we found!" He continued, unwrapping the newpaper and gently placing the knob on the floor. VIXX gathered around in excitement. You weren't sure why, but they all seemed very eager as if the item was more than a mere trinket. Ken chirped a victorious melody and they all seemed to rejoice at the sight of the knob. In amusement, you thought they looked slightly like cavemen discovering fire. 

Apparently it was something of such great interest to them that, for the rest of the night, you were forgotten. They were in the living room huddled around the trinket, fiddling and pushing the object around. At one point, Hyuk even tried dropping it in Hongbin's tank, retrieving it only when the betta continued its circles. You decided to use the time to work on your designs. You started the computer program and watied for your file to load. Absentmindly, you put your hands in your pocket, frowning when you felt paper. Realization hit you when you remembered Amber handing you a note from the director earlier today. You hoped it wasn't a time sensitive request and quickly unfolded the note. Sighing in relief, you realized it was just a notifcation that you'd be partaking in a second interview an hour before the time you were normally let off of work.

There was a knock at the door. "Come in!"

Hyuk stepped in, smiling. "Hey, just wanted to say thank you! We've been looking for that thingy for a while."

"Oh, I never knew you guys were into collecting things."

He laughed, "Not really so. I can't really explain it. It's just something really important to us." Looking at your screen, he leaned over. "Hey, these look really cool! Are they for work?"

You nodded, "Yeah, this is one of the main characters."

"Which one is the one Jaehwan hyung is working on? Will it be in the final product too?"

"Of course! The director actually really liked his character. I think he might even consider switching his design with the current main character's design." You dug around your bag. "Hm, I think I might have left his designs at the office. I'll show you some other time then!"

"I'm looking forward to it! He always was very artistic. I'm glad he got to do something he enjoys after such a long time."

You felt there was some deeper meaning behind what Hyuk said, but didn't question it. After all, since Jessica was rather spaced out today and didn't hand in her character references, you had more work to do today.