Day at Work

Carousel Tales

"Ah, so he'll be working with us on a case by case basis?"

You nodded. "Something like that. He's quite busy overseas."

"As long as he can stay on model with the characters, I think it'll be fine. What did you say his name was, by the way?"

Freezing, you racked your brain for a name. "Umm...Chopper!"

Your boss coughed, "Excuse me?"

"Tony Chopper! It's uh..kind of like a pen name he likes to use. An alias."

"Everyone has their reasons, I guess. Very well. You're dismissed."

A part of you wished that he'd keep you in his office for the entire day, either discussing over some characters or the progress of the character design team. You'd do anything to avoid seeing Jessica today. "About the character animation--"

He cut you off just as you pulled out your folder. "Not right now. Focus on the designs of all characters first please. Or show me later, when we've begun working on the animatics of the cutscenes. Actually, we haven't even decided where the cutscenes will be or the contents! Are you that excited for this project?"

"It's an interesting one!"

"Did you not like the last one?"

You hesitated. "Be honest now. Don't sugarcoat. What did you think of it?"

"Well, honestly I thought it was alright. But then I began to get sick of it after that one character came up with so many bugs and glitches. It was getting ridiculous."

Nodding, he tweedled his fingers, "Ah yes that. We had an intern working on that and she ran into a little problem there. Unfortunately, she didn't say anything until it was passed down many teams later. But all is fixed now. I trust that she's learned from that experience."

"I see.."

"Now off to work you go! Chit-chatting with me is no excuse for slacking!"

You grimaced inwardly but smiled, "Aw, you caught on."

Looking both ways, you quickly slipped into your chair and unpacked your portfolio. Maybe you could make it through the day unnoticed by Jessica. A head poked out from the cubicle next to yours and you could feel her grinning at your back. Who were you kidding, her desk was right next to yours!

"Did someone have a fun night?"

You shrugged, "Eh. We didn't do anything."

"Sure you didn't. Where'd you pick him up anyway? He's practically idol-worthy!"

"I...well...hey where's that character turnaround you were working on? Are you finished? It's due today, you know."

Jessica groaned, "You're just stalling now. I have it here." She handed you a worksheet.

"Ah, it looks great so far! I'd just scan it and put it in the program to tighten the sketch lines now. Good work!" You peered around the room, "Anyone else have something they want me to look at?"

Myungsoo shyly stood up, "I'd appreciate some critque on this character sketch..."

Just as you were makinig your way to his cubicle, Sungjae poked his head in the room, eyes searching. He perked up when he spotted you. "The director wants to see you."

You raised an eyebrow, "Again?" But you headed for the office without any further questions, mentally facepalming when you heard Sungjae ask in a low tone, "So, what's this about an idol-worthy person she had fun with last night?"

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

There was a young, neatly dressed man in your boss' office. They were in the midst of a conversation, and hadn't noticed you. Knocking on the door, you announced your presence.

"Ah, here she is! This is our head character designer. She also acts as a supervisor for that area." He gestured to the young man who had a notebook in his hands, "And this is Jang Wooyoung, an amateur journalist. He's here to get some inside scoops on our production process."

Jang Wooyoung smiled, "It's very nice to meet you! I hope I can do your company justice in my report, especially with your recent sucess with Memory Days."

"Wooyoung is focusing on the Memory Days characters and probably character design, so I suggested that he talk to you. However, can you find sometime outside of work to get your report? I don't want to have to slow our current progress."

Nodding, you mentally checked your calendar, "Of course. I have a lunch meeting with my group today, but I'm free this evening if you wanted to get started right away."

Wooyoung bowed politely, "That would be great if you don't mind." 

You handed him your business card, "Here's my number, just text me the location and I'll meet you there."

He accepted the card with another bow and left the office. Your boss cleared his throat, "Just remember the company policies on revealing information to outsiders! Also, that journalist will be here for most of the day either taking notes or shooting a few pictures. You can just meet him after you get off of work."

 

----------------------------------------------

 

It was a quarter to nine when you opened the door to your apartment tired, yet refreshed after an interview with Wooyoung. Though an amateur, he had been very professional, asking direct questions and knowing when to stop when there was information you were not allowed to reveal. 

"Where have you been all night?! I've been worried sick wondering where you went!!" A shrill voice broke the silence in your apartment. You looked up to see Hakyeon in the entryway, spatula in one hand and the other on his hips. Your apron, which you rarely bothered to use was wrapped around him. "Well?"

"Sorry, I was doing an interview with a journalist after work, We started right after I got off so I wasn't able to come home or anything." Your eyes travelled to the spatula in his hand, "You haven't eaten yet?"

"I was waiting for you!"

You felt a bit of guilt as you sheepishly admitted, "I had dinner during the interview. I'm so sorry! You should have eaten without me! I'll be sure to call home next time something like this happens."

Hakyeon nodded, "As long as you're safe." He moved back into the kitchen, "If you're still hungry, there's a lot of food leftover. Or you can save it for tomorrow since Wonshik is an awful cook."

"Liar!" Came the screech from the cockatiel.

You chuckled and set up the dining table for Hakyeon. "How was your day? Are you guys alright at home?"

"Don't worry about us, we're completely fine! I actually went out and got one of those gerbil balls so I can go on walks with you guys every now and then." He produced a large plastic ball. "I think I got the right size."

"You're too fat!" Wonshik teased from the other side of the room.

"I am not! I actually try to keep fit while you all just sit there and laugh at me."

You looked around the room, "Speaking of which, where did Ke-Jaewhan and Hyuk go?"

There was a pause before the puppy trotted in, two large pink bows fastened on his ears. Jaewhan was perched on his head.

"Oh brighten up Hyukkie, it looks cute on you."

Laughing, you nodded, "It does! Is this your way of getting back at him?"

Hakyeon grinned, "I'm merciful! I did not leave him outside and cook a meal that he really enjoys." The both of you eyed Taekwoon, who was stretched out lazily on the sofa.

"By the way, Jaewhan! My boss would like you to work on the development of a new character. I left his description paper in the study room, along with the other characters that we already have. He really liked the second character that you sketched out the other day, and I think if you made a few changes to it to match the art style of the already existing characters, he'll accept it."

The canary chirped.

"Wow, look at Jaewhan already picking up a job." Hakyeon applauded and the canary proudly puffed his chest out.

 

---------------------------------------

 

The next morning, work went by just as smoothly and the director cheerily commented on how well everyone was progressing. Your team had a rough sketch of all the main characters and was already in the process of making refined sketches and turnarounds for them. The journalist hung around the office and you introduced him to all the members in the character design department. You noticed that he hung around Jessica the longest and she seemed to enjoy his attention. 

Smirking, you turned back to your work. Sungjae pulled up a seat next to you. "Well they seem to be getting along."

You nodded, "He's going to interview her during lunch."

"And how are you getting along with your pink collar friend?"

You groaned, remembering Jessica's inability to keep secrets. "Are you having fun? Was it hot? What's his name?"

"Nothing happened! He was just joking around because he saw Jessica there."

Sungjae stared at your face, searching. "Hm. I don't think you're lying. But there's something you're not telling!"

You stuck your tongue out at him, "Stop pretending to be psychic or whatnot!"

He laughed, "What are you working on now?"

"Don't you have the screenplay to write?"

"Writer's block. I'm getting inspiration from seeing the character designs."

"Stop interfering with my team, you're going to slow the progess." You playfully shoved him out of your cubicle.

After lunch, you noticed Jessica returning to her seat with a dreamy expression. "Why the long face?" You joked.

"Wooyoung is so cute! I'm in love with the way he laughs and his eyes are so captivating. It's like his full attention is on me and only me!"

You snorted, "Until he goes off to interview some other person."

"He was so gentlemanly! And polite!"

"That's because it's workplace etiquette."

"His teeth are so perfect.."

You snapped your fingers in front of Jessica, "Hey, are you even listening to me? Come on, lunch break is over."

Jessica sighed, but went back to her work. Shaking your head, you muttered, "Puppy love."

 

----------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! I realized that weekly update thing is definitely not going to work with my current schedule. It'll have to be irregular updates, haha. This chapter centered around her work instead of VIXX and Hakyeon didn't make too much of an appearance, sorry if it was disappointing!

Thanks for your patience!