What Death can't see

Death's Daily Quest

There are few times when Minseok is not happy visiting infant wards. He walks with heavy steps towards his next assignment thinking of how Luhan will react. Death is not allowed to feel pity or sympathy to the living to avoid clouding his judgment but when he received assignments like this, he can’t avoid being sad. 

His next target is a 10 hours old infant. Her name is not even official yet but her mother was thinking of naming her ‘Imogen’ means ‘Beloved Child’. She is a premature child and currently in critical condition. She is lucky she lived for ten hours.

He found Luhan guarding the incubator where the child is sleeping. Luhan is looking at the child as if praying for her. Death stands behind the Angel, looking at him intently, whispering apologies.  When Luhan realized his presence, the angel started to cry.

“Please don’t… Minseok spare her…” Luhan said, his glow is between blue and violet, the color of bruised skin, flesh that failed to bleed.

Death looks down not meeting Luhan’s pleading eyes.

“That is not how it works.” He said in low voice.

Luhan started to wail; his wings are down as if they were broken.

“Can’t you see the dreams she can create? Or the love that she might give? Can’t you see this child’s future?!” Luhan shouted.

Death looks at Luhan, eyes filled with hurt and anger.

“I kill Dreams and I can see no future!” Minseok raised his voice.

Luhan stops wailing and fell into silence. Death takes few deep breaths and continues his indignation in much calmer voice.

”I can never see future. Unlike you… the only good I can give is escape from the pain and make people realize the love they have over a dead body.”

Luhan holds Minseok’s hand. They stand in front of each other for a while as Death lean his head to Luhan’s chest.

“I’m sorry… I understand. Just please let me… pray for her for the last time.” Luhan said as silent tears fall down on his cheeks.

Minseok nods and Luhan kneels beside the incubator, clasping his hand together tightly.

Minseok kiss the child’s forehead and she died feeling no pain.

 

____.

a/n: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING THIS!!!! muah!