Steak Is Yummy

Accidentally in Love

A date with Yifan. Let's see how this turns out


A week. It had been an entire week since Emily had given Yifan her number, and no calls. Not even a text. It’s not like she was really disappointed or anything, but still. How rude.

 

She wondered if he was sitting with his friends, laughing over the silly girl who actually had the gall to give him her number and expect him to call. Yeah, the must be it. He’s probably making fun of her right now.

 

Emily decided she didn’t even care at this point and made a firm resolution to stop thinking about it altogether (but she still didn’t delete his number).

 

Of course, the very same day she made that resolution to herself, she got a call. Emily was just settling down at her desk after eating dinner with Sydney and May. She was contemplating calling Rachel on Skype when her phone lit up. Assuming it was one of her friends or her boss, Emily answered it without even looking at the ID.

 

“Hello?” she said.

 

“Hi, Emily,” Yifan’s deep voice startled her.

 

“Uhhh,” she said intelligently.

 

Yifan coughed nervously then said, “So, I have some free time this week.”

 

Emily didn’t answer and waited for him to go on.

 

Yifan continued, “Um, so, if you’re free, uh, come on that date with me, okay? There’s a really nice restaurant and I know the owners so we don’t have to worry about people spying on us and the food is really good and -”

 

“What day?” Emily interrupted him.

 

“Huh?” It was Yifan’s turned to sound like a genius.

 

“What day do you want to go?” Emily clarified for him.

 

“Oh! Uh, how about Friday? So you don’t have to worry about class.”

 

Emily nodded, then remembered he couldn’t see her. “Okay. Text me the time and address.”

 

“Okay. Uh, see you then, I guess,” Yifan awkwardly said before hanging up.

 

That Friday, Emily was panicking. Why had she agreed to this? She didn’t know what she could possibly talk to him about; not to mention she was still a little mad at him for laughing at her. Also, what on earth was she supposed to wear?

 

Finally she decided on a pretty blue and white checked skirt and a white button-down blouse that she tucked into the skirt. Then, she put the restaurant’s address into her phone and headed for the bus stop.

 

Yifan calling the restaurant “really nice” was an understatement. The place was so posh and expensive looking, Emily could practically feel how poor she was.

 

Yifan was standing outside the door waiting for her with a hat pulled down over his eyes. Despite the rather poor attempt at a disguise, people hardly gave him a second glance, making Emily wonder if he came here often. Or maybe everyone here was so rich, they just didn’t care.

 

Yifan strolled up to her and glanced at her before saying, “You look pretty.”

 

Emily raised an eyebrow in disbelief as a woman with a floor-length ballgown and her hair done up in an elegant bun walked past them.

 

“It’s true! You do look pretty!” Yifan said, then offered her his arm.

 

Emily shook her head, still not comfortable enough around him.

 

Yifan let his arm drop and opened the door for her to step inside. The restaurant certainly was beautiful. Elegant chandeliers cast dim light over the numerous table scattered about. In the middle, a small fountain splashed cheerfully as a band played soft jazz.

 

The host lead Emily and Yifan to a small room in the back, where the two were given their own table. Emily became even more nervous at the thought of eating alone with Yifan.

 

Yifan attempted to make small talk with Emily by chatting about different, random topics. Emily merely answered with a few words or nodded her head. She was grateful when the food came so she could just eat her steak in silence.

 

She was just thinking that the food here was really good, when Yifan put his glass of wine down on the table a little too forcefully.

 

“Why are you so distant from me?” he asked her suddenly.

 

Confused, Emily asked, “What do you mean?”

 

“I make an effort to talk to you, and all you do is answer shortly and end the conversation. I’m actually trying here, but you seem to be acting like you don’t even care about anything but the steak. What did I ever do to you?” Yifan said.

 

Emily gently placed her knife and fork down on the plate. “What did you do to me? Well, you laughed at me and completely embarrassed me in public. I still have people pointing at me and snickering. You pretend like you’re so amazing and that I would automatically throw myself on you because you’re a celebrity. You hardly know me at all, but you harass me in a convenience store in the middle of the night, then demand something of me when I defend myself because you kept grabbing me. I hardly know you, of course I'm going to be distant. Just a few months ago, you were just some guy on TV.”

Yifan was silent after Emily’s rant, and she could feel herself getting embarrassed again. She pulled out a couple bills from her purse and gave them to him. “For the tip,”she said. “Thank you for the meal.” Then, she stood up, gathered her things and walked out, leaving a quiet and pensive Yifan behind.


Dramaaaaaaaaaa *cackles*

How is our dear Yifan going to handle this one? Stay tuned to find out!

Also, I wanted to post this last night but I was exhausted and felt like I was going to vomit. So, I'm posting it this morning instead :P Deal with it.