When Confronted with an Attractive Man, the Best Thing to Do Is Run Away. Obviously.

Accidentally in Love

No the title is not too long hush


Emily did the one thing any normal person who’s just run into a wall would do. She runs away. Really fast.

 

When she made it back to the dorm, she slammed her door shut and locked it. She slid down and cried a little into her arms. Then her embarrassed tears turned to tears of rage, and she got up and sat at her desk. She flung open her laptop and checked Skype. Fortunately, Rachel was on, so Emily called her. Rachel answered almost immediately and her face popped into view.

 

“Hey!” Rachel said, slurping up some noodles. When Emily didn’t answer, she looked up and was startled to see tears streaming down Emily’s cheeks. “Are you okay?” she asked worriedly.

 

Emily couldn’t take it anymore. She startled bawling and trying to tell Rachel what happened at the same time.

 

“Woah! Woah! Slow down! I have no idea what you’re saying,” Rachel said. “Emily, take deep breaths and just let the tears out. Then tell me what happened.”

 

Emily cried for a little while longer, then calmed down enough to blow her nose and explain the recent events to her friend. Rachel listened silently during the story until Emily mentioned the part where she realized Yifan was laughing at her.

 

“What an !” Rachel yelled, almost knocking her bowl of noodles over in her rage. “Oh man, I am so sorry. I know how much you liked him, too.”

 

Emily shrugged. “It’s not like I knew him personally. He was just a celebrity crush.”

 

Rachel looked unconvinced. “Still…”

 

“I guess I just needed to rant about it. I was more embarrassed than anything. I should learn to pay attention to where I’m going,” Emily mumbled the last part more to herself.

 

“Well, if you’re feeling better you should really go eat. It’s getting late over there, isn’t it?” Rachel said as she started slurping her noodles again.

 

Emily nodded, and the girls said their goodbyes. Emily made her way downstairs and into the cafeteria. She noticed May and sat down, explaining why she was late. May introduced her to some of her friends, and the little incident was pushed to the back of Emily’s mind.

 

About three weeks into class, Emily received some big news. She had been working with her advisor to get her a job or internship in the city, and now she finally had an offer. A famous fashion magazine/photography studio was in need of interns and felt it would be good to have an international student join them.

 

Emily readily accepted and now found herself nervously fiddling with the hem of her dress as she stood in front of the studio. After finally managing to fool herself into thinking she wasn’t nervous at all, she took a deep breath and stepped inside. A receptionist looked up and greeted her cheerfully. Emily explained what she was there for and the girl nodded.

 

“Welcome! My name is Meili. I’m here all the time, so if you need help come find me,” she said in Chinese.

 

Emily thanked her and walked down the hallway Meili had pointed out. She found the room with the director’s name and cautiously opened it. Inside there were several people bustling about with cameras and random pieces of fabric. One woman was carrying a large plastic tub overflowing with sunglasses. Another man was lugging around a rack stuffed with bright green shirts.

 

Emily stood in the entranceway for a moment, blinking and trying to take it all in. She would’ve stayed there longer, but someone shoved her out of the way. She decided to find her boss and figure out what she needed to do. The woman was easy enough to find because she was the one yelling at everyone to get things organized.

 

“We’ve got a major celebrity coming in a few days, and if we can’t find his clothes because things are disorganized I won’t be able to leave my house for weeks!” she cried in rapid-fire Chinese.

 

Even more nervous now, Emily tentatively reached out and tapped the lady on the shoulder. She spun around, but the firy aura around her disappeared and was replaced with one of curiosity. Emily gulped and quietly said, “Um, hi. I’m the new intern. Are you Ms. Li?”

 

"Emily! Welcome!! I’m glad you could make it!” Ms. Li cried, switching into perfect English. “Oh my gosh, I love your dress! And that bow? Adorable. Also, call me Suyin. ‘Ms. Li’ makes me sound old.” Suyin made a face.

 

By now, Emily was thoroughly confused at the change of character in her new boss. But, she decided to just smile and go along with it.

“Okay, Suyin. And thank you. I made the bow myself.”

 

“Really?” Suyin’s eyes widened. “Now it’s even cuter!”

 

Emily blushed and said, “Thank you.”

 

The next couple weeks were busy but fun for Emily. She got along well with several of the other stylists at the studio and enjoyed seeing a range of celebrities and models. Some of them ignored her, but others were very friendly. They were patient with her and always expressed how impressed they were at her Chinese skills.

 

One day, the studio was in an absolute uproar. Apparently some really big celebrity was coming for a photoshoot and interview, and Suyin wanted everything to be perfect.

 

Emily was about to ask her who was coming when Suyin dumped a huge box of fabric in her hands and said, “Can you take this to the supply closet upstairs? We don’t need it, and he’s almost here. Thanks.”

 

Emily nodded, but Suyin was already gone. Shaking her head at Suyin’s attention span, Emily shifted the box to a more comfortable position in her hands and shuffled out of the room. She haphazardly climbed the stairs - she couldn’t see of the pile of clothes in the box - and made her way to the supply closet at the end of the hallway.

 

Emily deposited her load in the corner and shut the door. She made her way back downstairs and noted that it was much quieter than a few moments before. It’s not that it was silent, but the bustle of activity was much more muted and there was an abundance of excited whispering up and down the hall.

 

Assuming the celebrity had already arrived, Emily quietly snuck into the studio. Her eyes widened when she realized who the mysterious person was.

 

“Hey. You’re the girl who ran into a wall!” said Wu Yifan.

Emily turned tail and ran out the door.


Emily's been running a lot, hasn't she?

Also, I apologize for the format in Ch.1. AFF hates me ;___;