The Stars Are Falling

The Odds of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sungmi and her fellow medic trainees could only watch as the boys filed into the tent, all with heads up high. She didn’t know how he possibly could, but she hoped that Kyungsoo would be able to keep an eye on Sunghee, wherever they were.

It wasn’t long before the first couple of trainees came out of the tent, one looking a little red in the face. Sungmi knew what was involved in the medical checks, and she know that included the trainees being fully striped to search for any underlying health issues that they would be marked down for. She could just imagine Sunghee’s lighting up like a beacon.

“Would you like to take a seat?” Yixing asked the first three boys, motioning to the chairs in front of them, and clearly oblivious to their discomfort.

Although hesitant, the three boys sat down. The one who sat in front of Sungmi happened to be the red one, who only reddened further when he saw that she was a she. Seeing his clear embarrassment, Sungmi offered him a gentle smile.

“Hello, I’m going to be taking your resting heart rate, blood pressure and weight,” she explained in an almost soothing voice. “What is your name?”

The tall boy glanced up at her. “Lee Sungyeol.”

Sungmi found his name on the list, smiling up at him again. “Ok, can I please see your arm?”

The boy swallowed, then rolled up his sleeve and it towards her rather forcefully. She tried not to seem taken aback, but she was. Slipping the device onto him, she began squeezing the pump, inflating it as quickly as she could to put the poor boy at ease.

“What’s that called?” he asked her as she waited for the pressure to take effect. She guessed that he was just trying to find something to talk about.

“This is a Sphygmomanometer,” she told him absentmindedly as she stared at the dial, waiting for it to stabilise.

Looking utterly bamboozled, the boy released a little chuckle. “That’s an insane word.”

Sungmi smiled as she jotted down the numbers. “You’re blood pressure is one-twenty-six over eighty-three.”

“What does that mean?”

“You’re in the high-normal range, but I would imagine that is just because of stress.”

“Will you be deducting marks because of it?” the boy asked, suddenly looking worried.

Sungmi pursed her lips, not sure what to say to the boy. “That’s not up to me,” was the best she could do in the end.

When he had been checked, and his weight and heart rate measured, he was excused – much to his relief. Sungmi’s next patient was a lot more familiar, and altogether more forward as he slid into the seat in front of her almost suggestively.

“Did I ever tell you how much I like medics?” Baekhyun smirked, holding out his arm for her to slip the device onto.

Sungmi raised an eyebrow at this, glancing up to meet his mischievous eyes. No, you haven't.”

Baekhyun’s smirk grew almost exponentially, but he still cooled his attitude somewhat. “It’s only natural. I’d be blown to pieces without you guys.”

Almost instantly, Sungmi’s body tensed at Baekhyun’s words, and more specifically with the cool composure with which he spoke. He made it sound like he was talking about which cereal brand he preferred, not the possibility of being blown up. Sungmi had to remind herself that explosives were Baekhyun's specialty, so it was to be expected for him to be very relaxed around them.

Oblivious to Sungmi’s discomfort, Baekhyun went on, “Medics saved my brother, you know. He had his leg almost ripped in half but the medic on his team really pulled it together for him – literally,” he chuckled a little as his own contorted joke. “He’s now married with a kid on the way.” He let out a little sigh. “Must be nice, right?”

Sungmi didn’t know what exactly Baekhyun was referring to as ‘nice’, so instead of either asking or answering she just informed him that his blood pressure was one-twenty over eighty which had him grinning widely.

“What are you smiling about?” she quizzed as she waited for his pulse to be read.

“That’s perfect blood pressure, isn’t it?” he confidently asked.

Nodding, Sungmi smiled a little. “It’s considered to be normal, yes.”

Baekhyun shrugged innocently. “I expected it to be perfect.”

Almost annoyingly, his resting heart rate was low - but not too low - a clear indication that he was healthy, and his weight was pretty much the ideal for his height.

“Well?” he probed once she had finished. “How am I looking?”

“Fine,” she replied, trying to ignore the smugness in his question. “You’re in pretty ideal shape.”

He let out a satisfied bark, nudging the boy beside him that Yixing was currently trying to test. “She said I’m perfect.”

“I never said that,” Sungmi muttered under her breath, quietly enough so that no one heard her.

“Of course I’m not surprised,” he beamed, getting up before jubilantly skipping – yes, skipping – off to tell anyone that would listen about how marvellous he was.

Sungmi had no sooner finished shaking her head at the boy than another plonked themselves down in front of her. Again, she recognised him instantly, but this time the sight of him had her glance around behind him f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter