Know It's Wrong

The Odds of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Sehun visited the following day, he gave her some of the answers she needed though she was sure that he was still keeping some things under wraps. He told her that she was found by Minseok at the site of a pretty big explosion that killed a great number of their own troops, and even a few of the enemy too. In fact, she was so close to the site that she was believed to be at the very epicentre of it all. It was a great wonder she had survived at all.

Sungmi was quiet for a long moment when she heard this, her brow scowling at nothing in particular as she tried to understand. How could it be that she didn't remember something as important as this?

“I wouldn’t worry about it too much,” Sehun told her, sitting back casually in his seat and crossing his arms. “If you can’t remember, then you can’t remember,” he shrugged, “it’s not the end of the world.”

Sungmi bit her lip, the words of all the medics and some of the army seniors being quite the opposite of Sehun’s. Why were they all so worried about it?

“Why does it matter so much what I can remember?” she asked quietly, playing with her nails nervously.

Sehun shifted a little, his arms uncrossing again as he moved to adjust himself in the seat a little. “Well, the thing with that is that…” he paused, looking to the side thoughtfully as he tried to find the right words. “A lot of people were hurt by it,” he eventually said. “And they want to know who it was so they know who to punish for it.”

Sungmi blinked at him for a moment. “But how would I know who it was? I don’t know any of the enemy.”

Again, Sehun looked uncomfortable; like he didn’t want to be explaining this to the girl. “They’re… not sure that it was the enemy that did it.”

“What?” Sungmi asked, head cocking a little in confusion. “What does that even mean?”

“There might be a traitor around here,” Sehun whispered to her after leaning all the way in so that no one could have possibly overheard. “They think there’s an enemy spy here somewhere.”

Sungmi’s eyes widened as her head snapped back so she could see Sehun’s face clearly. As soon as she did, she could tell that there was no hint of teasing there at all. He was serious. Deadly so.

“B-but that’s…” Sungmi shook her head incredulously. “That’s not possible.”

Sehun gave a rather sheepish nod. “Apparently, it is.”

Slumping back into her pillow, Sungmi shook her head in disbelief. Howcould there be an enemy amongst them?

“Who is it?” Sungmi asked, rather impulsively and without thinking.

Sehun chuckled awkwardly. “That’s the thing, they don’t have a clue.”

Sungmi looked away and around the medical room she was in. Any one of these people could have been the person – if there even was one. Any one of them could have been the traitor.

“There’s, eh, something else you should know,” Sehun went on, his lip nervously and sitting his hands on his lap uncomfortably.

Looking back to him, this time with apprehension, Sungmi waited for him to say anything more about it.

“It’s Baekhyun,” he finally said, not sounding overly happy about doing so. “He’s been detained for the moment. They reckon he was involved.”

That didn’t even make any sense to Sungmi at all. She shook her head, an expression on her face like she was about to spit on something. “Of course he didn’t!”

Sehun didn’t say anything, but didn’t look at her either.

Sungmi’s frown deepened considerably at his silence. “You can’t seriously believe that he did it,” she snapped at him, ready to give him a tongue lashing about how Baekhyun was the person least likely to do it out of, well, just about everyone. In any case, he certainly wasn’t a suspect in Sungmi’s eyes – not after how he had tried to look after her and how genuine a person he was.

“I don’t,” Sehun retorted almost begrudgingly. “There’s no way it’s him.”

To hear someone who hated Baekhyun as openly as Sehun did defend him all but confirmed it for Sungmi.

“Of course it wasn’t him,” she reiterated, shaking her head to herself as she looked darkly around the room as if the people in there were the ones who were accusing Baekhyun of being a criminal.

Sehun said nothing again, but Sungmi knew that he was silently agreeing. How could he not when it was so obvious?

 

Kyungsoo didn’t come around that day at all, and although Sungmi tried to convince herself that he was probably just busy, it still stung a little. When he did turn up the next day, no matter how she had planned to give him the cold shoulder, her lips parted into a wide grin when she saw him. If she was a dog, her tail would be thrashing around with excitement right now.

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile back at her because of the contagious nature of her beam. She was so pleased to see him.

“I'm sorry,” Kyungsoo said straight away, sitting down.

Sungmi didn’t really know what to say but she was nonetheless glad to hear him say that. Obviously she had been waiting for him to come, and when he didn't it really hurt her – not that she would have let anyone know that of course.

“Hi,” she replied, voice light with the smile still on her face.

“I'm sorry I didn't come yesterday,” he said again, this time looking nervous to speak. “I just wasn't sure if you wanted to see me after, you know, how it was…”

She smiled, really letting his presence seep into her. “Don’t worry about it,” she said, patting the side of her bed gently for him to have a seat next to her. He did, smiling gently at her in a way that made her heart flutter comfortably. “And for the record, I didn’t ask for Sehun over you.”

He smiled a little at that. “How do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter