Closer

The Odds of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sungmi wasn’t on duty that night, but she would be the next two nights with Baekhyun. And, although Baekhyun was great to be on night watch with because of his general I’m-never-tired-so-let’s-play-a-game attitude, she wasn’t particularly looking forward to it right now because of recent events.

Most of the camp was on guard duty right now, and the ones who weren’t were mostly sleeping. Baekhyun was oddly quiet in the cabin, and that wasn’t reassuring to Sungmi in the slightest. Her eyes drifted to the tub in the corner, her mind floating with images of just how oh-so nice it would be to actually feel human again. But she couldn’t with Baekhyun sitting just metres away on his bed already suspecting her.

Then a thought occurred to her: the showers. With everyone either on duty or asleep, now would be the perfect – and perhaps only – time that she could actually have a real shower. Believe it or not, she felt herself becoming excited.

Gathering together what she thought she’d need but trying to be inconspicuous about it, Sungmi peeked up at Baekhyun right before she left.

“I’ll be back in a minute,” she tried to say casually.

He looked up, hummed a little and then his serious face broke into a smile that was altogether more Baekhyun-like. “Take your time,” he said, and Sungmi realised she hadn’t been so subtle at all. She might as well have just shoved on a shower cap whilst singing Rub-A-Dub-Dub.

The feeling of being free from the bandages never really got old Sungmi realised once she was in the shower room. And although the shower’s water temperature was practically Baltic, her body thanked her for removing the grim and sweat that seemed to be a near constant feature of her complexion these days.

Just as she was nearing her last rinse, there was a knock on the door, causing Sungmi to freeze.

“Is someone in there?” the unfamiliar voice asked.

Sungmi couldn’t move. She couldn’t even breathe. If whoever that was opened the door right now, she doubted that it would take him long to notice that she was indeed a she.

“Hello?” the voice said again, “I’m going to come in.”

This time Sungmi’s brain was able to string together a command for her body, and that was to cover herself – quickly! She scrambled in the dim light for her towel, throwing it around herself in a rather haphazard manner, almost not covering certain things that needed to be covered in her panic.

There was a dull tone of a second voice outside, but from the sound of it they were calling over to the other man, so was not actually close at all.

Sungmi grabbed her stuff, keen to use this chance to get out of the centre of the room in case the man suddenly burst in.

She heard the man reply, but he sounded further away now. Perhaps the second man’s call had led him away. Sungmi swallowed, unsure whether it would be safe for her to leave or not. She had no way of knowing for certain.

Before Sungmi could make a decision, it was taken out of her hands when the door suddenly creaked, a sign that it was no doubt about to open. She instantly crouched, hoping against all hope that the man wouldn’t notice her and she could sneak out unseen.

“Sungmi?” a voice whispered, causing her head to snap to the sound. It seemed to be coming from the door. Was it Kyungsoo that was there?

“Sungmi, are you ok?” it asked, but then Sungmi realised that it wasn’t Kyungsoo at all. “Are you decent?”

Sungmi didn’t know what to say when she heard the voice, and bobbed hopelessly for a moment. She couldn’t decide whether to reply or just pretend she wasn’t there at all. The door opened a little more, and Sungmi’s grip on her towel instinctively tightened and she pushed herself against the wall a little more, almost hoping that it would just absorb her whole.

“He’s gone for now,” the voice said a little louder. “But we need to get you out of here now. He’s only gone to get a clean towel.”

Sungmi swallowed. If she stayed here now, that stranger would find her and no doubt reveal her. She would be dead by morning if that happened. But if she left now then it would be like confessing that she was indeed Sungmi and not Sunghee.

She should have known that Baekhyun knew, especially a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter