The Glimmer

The Odds of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Curiosity was burning within Sungmi by the time Sehun returned to the room, but she tried to remain as nonchalant as possible.

Sehun smiled a little when he came in and saw her, but it was almost absentminded.

“Something wrong?” he then asked, no doubt seeing her attempt at nonchalance as odd.

So much for that, Sungmi bitterly thought as she shook her head and huffed quietly to herself, sitting up a little straighter but didn't say a thing.

Shrugging lightly, Sehun sat on his bed and began yanking his boots off with a little grunt before sliding back.

Sungmi toyed with the idea of asking him about the whole book thing, but then he would know that she was snooping – although in her defence, that wasn’t the idea at all. Looking back up at Sehun, Sungmi immediately averted her eyes again when she saw that he had also peeled off his jacket and top and was sitting there with a bare chest. She knew she shouldn’t be flustered by such a thing, given she was a medic and had seen men’s bare chests many times, it was more the sudden shock of it that caused her cheeks to heat up like they did.

She heard a little groan, and was forced to look back up at Sehun (and his body). Sehun was looking at a bandage around his arm that was soaked with blood, prodding with his finger like a child as if that would somehow help, not hinder, the healing process.

In a flash, Sungmi was on her feet. Her medic-side kicked in and she no longer cared about Sehun’s lack of clothing in that moment. “Let me see that,” she said firmly, pulling her medical kit out from under her bed.

She left no room for a rather taken aback Sehun to protest as she approached and plopped herself down on his bed without his consent.

“It’s ok,” Sehun tried to say, reaching for a fresh top.

Sungmi made a grunt-like sound, similar to one you would give a misbehaving dog which stilled Sehun instantly. “I need to clean it,” she said, pulling out a pair of scissors and gently cutting away the bandage. The wound was surprisingly deep, and looked like it hadn't been taken care of properly. Even th bandage that had been on it was tied poorly.

“What happened?” she asked softly as she prepared an antiseptic solution.

Sehun’s eyes were glued to her face intently. “Stray arrow,” he finally replied with. “Believe it or not, it was actually from our own side.”

Sungmi could believe that, given how poorly trained so many of the soldiers were. “Didn’t you go to the medics?” she asked, gently cleaning at the wound.

“Yeah,” Sehun replied, shifting a little. “But they said it wasn’t serious.”

“They should have at least cleaned it properly…” Sungmi grumbled, slightly annoyed by her fellow medic’s lack of compassion. She liked to think that she’d be different if she was in their position, but she supposed that it was all rather different when you were the one in the hot seat. She realised that more and more every day.

“Where'd you learn all this medic stuff?” Sehun asked her in a gentle murmur. Sungmi almost scoffed and said she’d been studying it for years but caught herself in time, instead putting it down to her sister. Sometimes it was too easy to feel relaxed around Sehun - surprising given the roots of their friendship.

Sehun didn’t say anything to that, but his eyes watched Sungmi working. Sungmi was very aware of his gaze on her, and of his chest being so very exposed in front of her. Sehun was lean, but there was a definite sheet of muscle there. If she was being objective – or at least that’s what she tried to tell herself – he had a rather nice chest and body. It made her swallow subconsciously as she thought about it, chastising herself for being so flimsy in a time and situation like this. Her cheeks even flushed a little with her own internal embarrassment.

“You have such small hands,” Sehun said suddenly, his voice sounding as if he hadn’t meant to say it, almost like he was dazzed.

Looking up to Sehun’s face, Sungmi saw him instantly drop his gaze, his cheeks an off-shade now. He bristled under her gaze, so she dropped it. He seemed to not know how backtrack from the comment. She did have very small hands – noticeably smaller than either Sunghee or Sungsook. That was one of the few obvious physical difference between the siblings.

“Family trait,” she muttered, trying to excuse it as she lifted his arm to wrap the bandage around it. Sehun let her, allowing his arm to go limp in her hold. If she’d wanted to, she could have slapped him in the face with it.

Sehun continued to watch her working, but this time not so obviously. Sungmi saw it though, and felt tighten a little at the sudden attention. She had an awful urge to swallow, and felt her cheeks heat up once again under the pressure. This only seemed to spur Sehun on, and his gaze became bolder and bolder.

Eventually, Sungmi cleared , causing him to jump and cast his gaze to some random place in the room. Nothing was said for a while after that.

 

“I was thinking,” Sungmi began, finally finishing the bandage, “we should write down our addresses so that we can all keep in contact after all of this.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter